Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:19 pm Gotta give Buczek a lot of credit for coming out in a zone, threw Princeton off.
Worked like a charm.
I'm guessing Jordan Stevens gets the credit for that move! GBR!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

"Uh, boy"
"Score!"
"What?!"

"It's Matt Dooley!!"

Post by 10stone5 »

Matt Dooley says,

"Its my time !!"

:lol:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

mfp wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:32 pm Huge respect for a guy willing to do whatever it takes to help the team! Love that.
Yes. Blake was the hero of this game last year, scoring the game-winning goal in OT:

VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Wish I had been able to attend this one...
A few overarching points:
-This win was very important in terms of post season. Cornell's out-of-conference record was 3-2, with all 3 wins at home vs. "weaker" teams. The only remaining OOC games left are with ND (I don't even want to think about that) and a Syracuse team with plenty of upside but a problematic record against top teams. The boys will have a fun ride home this afternoon, but...it doesn't get any easier with Yale and Penn (A) the next two weeks.
-The current situation at ss may be unsustainable. No Chris Davis today, our best shorties. I assume he's injured. Bozzi is out until, at best, playoffs. Newman was dressed today but didn't play, I assume he's dinged. TJ Lamb, a freshman O-mid had one or two runs and was not ready. Blake moved from offense to short stick. Held his own (his size is a big advantage, but his first step is problematic). Kyle Smith had another very very tough day, but was in the right place at the right time at the and after Mackesy threw a low pass; then made a very nice dish in traffic to get the ball to Dooley.
-At half-time I decided to write a one-word summary: Possession. That is, at the 7 minute mark of the 2nd qtr., Cornell up 8-2, the Cornell offense did not get another touch; 3 failed clears and Princeton won every F/O. After going down 12-8, Psylos, who I'd say was the player of the game, dominated face-offs. Needless to say, in the end I opted for more than a one-word summary.
-At 12-12, I started to feel good, and then Cornell went 6 or 7 straight possessions with...zip. After going down 14-12...big time Resilience.
Other:
-Goldstein at x with Long moving to a wing in place of Cadigan. I like Cadigan, but Goldstein provides far more of a dodging and passing threat. Can't put a ss on Goldstein. However, when Princeton put a pole on him in the 2nd half, he was stripped a few times (think "can-opener" strips), but when a shortie was on him after switches, he scored twice. Has a slight frame - needs to keep space between him and poles. Talk about quick feet.
Other:
-1st Princeton goal of the game off of a pick and roll that was botched defensively. I thought, God no. What's going to happen the rest of the game. Without looking at highlights, I think almost all of Princeton's goals were beating ss's one-on-one or off of lack of defensive coordination. I thought Singer had a very good day against a scary match-up. Follows was very good, except for one bad mistake - the goal at the end of the 1st half when Princeton inbounded with 7 seconds. I assume he just lost concentration. Next week - matchups? Who guards Brandau? I believe Leo Johnson is still out.
-Tully - looked very sharp in the first half. Not so much in 2nd. I believe his saves were about 9 and 2 by half.
-With Blake moving to d-middie, Nikolic started on the 2nd line. Looked tentative at first, but clearly became far more confident.
-Kirst - held the ball far too much at times. Also, is almost always going left and drawing an early double preventing him from getting his shot off. The result is a much shortened shot clock when he hold the ball too long.
-I like the zone call by Stevens. At first I thought it's too early on the clock to go zone, but as Carc said, Princeton clearly did not anticipate it.
-Speaking of "Cotter & Carc" - doing the game remote, they were far more tolerable today. Not nearly as over the top with extreme hyperbole.
***Great win. Hopefully the boys will build on it. And the short sticks have got to heal up. Need Chris Davis back.
Pegasus6

Post by Pegasus6 »

Tully was sharp in the first half. The second half well you have to look at the quality of the shots he was facing. Defense as a unit and individually went to sleep on at least five of those island shots with no pressure at all on Tigers shooters
tech37

Post by tech37 »

What a game... Congrats Big Red!
Cornell95

Post by Cornell95 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:03 pm
Wish I had been able to attend this one...
\\
-Speaking of "Cotter & Carc" - doing the game remote, they were far more tolerable today. Not nearly as over the top with extreme hyperbole.
***Great win. Hopefully the boys will build on it. And the short sticks have got to heal up. Need Chris Davis back.
Maybe it says as much about my level of attentiveness, but until you noted it I didnt put together than C. Davis didnt play
I did spot Blake out on D but also guessed he had gotten caught out in transition

This is what drives me nuts about most of the lax broadcast crews. I dont think Carc/Cotter mentioned Bozzi being out or Davis not dressing... you would think a team having their #1 & #2 depth chart ssdms out might get a mention (particularly given that when Carc wasnt busy reiterating that Kelleher was a high school running back on Long Island, he was telling us about his time mid week in Ithaca with the team)
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

How great is Cornells future;

Firth
Goldstein
Nikolic
Tully

ALL freshmen and all major players.

Buzcek's recruiting is amazing.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

It took them into the 2nd quarter to realize that Tully (55) was in goal. They kept calling Knust (19).
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:14 pm I think the future is NOW for Matt Tully. After things settled down a bit, he looked very solid.

I think he starts next week against a very good Princeton team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Here is my post after last week's game. We now will see him for the next 3+ years. He was awesome today in his 1st start, with not many of the goals his fault. You can tell why he was the top rated Goalie coming out.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
mfp

Post by mfp »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:31 pm How great is Cornells future;

Firth
Goldstein
Nikolic
Tully

ALL freshmen and all major players.

Buzcek's recruiting is amazing.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
And Gilmartin has been excellent on D. The new #77—no pressure. ;-)
Redman2

Post by Redman2 »

Any intel on C Davis’ injury/status?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:23 pm Holy Crap. I need a DOUBLE TANGERAUY G AND T, after that game.

The FRESHMAN were incredible, and kudos to our coaching staff for having all the confidence in these kids.

Such a HUGE win, with YALE coming to the Kopf next week.

Just when I said my confidence in winning this game was low, they come out on fire, have a lull and then storm back like Champs.

1-0 in the Ivies is all that matters right now.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The first thing I thought when Dooley scored was "Joewillie must be going crazy!"

Amazing game. After "Joewillie" I have three more names to call out: Jordan Stevens; Ryan Goldstein; and Marc Psyllos.

1. Jordan Stevens making that final call to go to zone -- that was a "check and checkmate" moment and paid off like you dream about if you're a defensive signal caller (and honorable mention in the coaching category to Cornell's coaches for not trying to call a timeout as 88 rumbled down the field, some coaches wouldn't have been able to stop themselves). And the cherry on the top is that a defender scored the gamewinner -- enormous credit to Matt Dooley for recognizing he was the one with the shot and having the guts to take it.

2. The emergence of Ryan Goldstein -- wow (and that would be the case if his name was Ryan Smith and not of royal lacrosse lineage). Five points overall and his three goals were all momentous -- he scored the goal to bring Cornell to within one to make it 11-12; the next goal to tie it up at 12-12; and the tying goal to make it 14-14. Great players want to shoot when it counts, and smart players know when they should work to create that shot. Simply amazing.

3. During Princeton's 10-0 run in the second and third periods, Cornell was getting smoked at the X (at one point Princeton won 6 straight). When the score was 12-8 Princeton, Marc Psyllos won 4 out of the next 5 faceoffs (on three of those he got the ground ball himself) to help spark the 4-0 Cornell run to respond to the monster ten-goal Tiger run and tie it up. Cornell finding a way to win some of those faceoffs and start getting possessions again -- combined with a great ride and Princeton's roug day (19 for 27) clearing -- gave Cornell the ball enough in the second half to get the win.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Question: where has Goldstein been? Was he hurt earlier in the season? So impressive today.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 pm Question: where has Goldstein been? Was he hurt earlier in the season? So impressive today.
Yes. Per the game story on IL, he had a finger injury; today was his first game action.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 pm Question: where has Goldstein been? Was he hurt earlier in the season? So impressive today.
Yes. Per the game story on IL, he had a finger injury; today was his first game action.
Thanks, laxjuris. That's some debut.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

What a gutty thrillling win! I was convinced Cornell would lose the game three times today. It looked like all was lost and a tidal wave similar to last week's loss to PSU was coming when they were down 12-8 in the 3rd quarter. Down 14-12 in the 4th quarter after numerous empty possessions in the 4th quarter. And at 14-14 with Princeton with the ball and just over a minute left.

People here have pointed out the bad and the good (VRR's game summaries are quite detailed and I won't cover the same ground).

Some thoughts.

If you told me Kirst and Long would combine for 4 points, I would never expect a Cornell win with 15 goals. The emergence of Goldstein today added a new element to this team. This team is loaded offensively. I am not sure what to think about what I saw today. Long seemed clearly less effective on the wing today than at X. Kirst had what may have been his worst game today. I think Long did a good job letting the game come to him. Kirst, on the other hand, forced the issue today. If teams are going to concentrate on stopping him, he was to be willing to give the ball up in favor of others with favorable match ups. He can't take the kind of shots he took today. Pass up the bad shots. 1 for 11 shooting is just going to get it done for a player who is a career 35-40% shooter. Kirst is such a complete player, he can contribute without shooting 10 times a game. I think the team needs a little time to get used to Goldstein at X and Long on the wing. It should get better after another week of practice.

What is with the underhanded shots? Cornell took about 4-5 bad underhanded shots today.

Am I crazy, or does Cornell give up far too many goals with 1-2 seconds left on the shot clock? It seems like there is one a game.

The contributions from the freshmen today cannot be overstated. 6 goals.

The ride was exceptional and it is becoming clear that an effective ride is essential to add possessions with Cascadden out.

Tully had a great first half, but struggled with high shots in the last 35 minutes. He does add athleticism to the clear.

The officiating debacle in Denver is really a shame. This is a top 5-6 team with a win in Denver and the team deserved a better fate than that loss.

Next week's game vs Yale is so important. I hope the SSDM's health improves.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Relive yesterday's stress test! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INugAf9j9ZU
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:39 pm What a gutty thrillling win! I was convinced Cornell would lose the game three times today. It looked like all was lost and a tidal wave similar to last week's loss to PSU was coming when they were down 12-8 in the 3rd quarter. Down 14-12 in the 4th quarter after numerous empty possessions in the 4th quarter. And at 14-14 with Princeton with the ball and just over a minute left.

People here have pointed out the bad and the good (VRR's game summaries are quite detailed and I won't cover the same ground).

Some thoughts.

If you told me Kirst and Long would combine for 4 points, I would never expect a Cornell win with 15 goals. The emergence of Goldstein today added a new element to this team. This team is loaded offensively. I am not sure what to think about what I saw today. Long seemed clearly less effective on the wing today than at X. Kirst had what may have been his worst game today. I think Long did a good job letting the game come to him. Kirst, on the other hand, forced the issue today. If teams are going to concentrate on stopping him, he was to be willing to give the ball up in favor of others with favorable match ups. He can't take the kind of shots he took today. Pass up the bad shots. 1 for 11 shooting is just going to get it done for a player who is a career 35-40% shooter. Kirst is such a complete player, he can contribute without shooting 10 times a game. I think the team needs a little time to get used to Goldstein at X and Long on the wing. It should get better after another week of practice.

What is with the underhanded shots? Cornell took about 4-5 bad underhanded shots today.

Am I crazy, or does Cornell give up far too many goals with 1-2 seconds left on the shot clock? It seems like there is one a game.

The contributions from the freshmen today cannot be overstated. 6 goals.

The ride was exceptional and it is becoming clear that an effective ride is essential to add possessions with Cascadden out.

Tully had a great first half, but struggled with high shots in the last 35 minutes. He does add athleticism to the clear.

The officiating debacle in Denver is really a shame. This is a top 5-6 team with a win in Denver and the team deserved a better fate than that loss.

Next week's game vs Yale is so important. I hope the SSDM's health improves.
I agree. The underhand shots, and "no look" shots were wasted opportunities. I've no doubt that #51 can shoot underhand, but I think that he's got a stick strung for field lacrosse, and not a box set-up. I'm sure that he'll cure that somehow. The US field players trying to shoot like Canadian box players with "no-lookers" simply didn't work. I'm sure that this "no-lookism" will also be cleaned-up when film is reviewed. The Ivy goalies are simply too good, and will stop these types of shots.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”