Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:44 am milliman is gator wrestling with the administration again!!! and admissions, because of course. question, has the navy game become a must win game just to have a shot in may? and is that where the program thought they'd be in year 4?
What does any of this mean? especially the first part
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:58 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:44 am milliman is gator wrestling with the administration again!!! and admissions, because of course. question, has the navy game become a must win game just to have a shot in may? and is that where the program thought they'd be in year 4?
I suspect he’s poking fun at some earlier grousing…
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I don't understand his second part either. In no way is the Navy game a must win given the wins Hopkins already has and opportunities ahead.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I think some sort of alcohol was involved w this concerning post.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:58 am
I don't understand his second part either. In no way is the Navy game a must win given the wins Hopkins already has and opportunities ahead.
You said we don't deserve a seed in the tournament if it's not a "slam dunk" win tonight. Wgdsr is making fun of you for saying that. Though to be fair, what you said is different from saying it's a must-win game. He knows that, but The Sabre has spent several days arguing over a recruit flipping from Georgetown to UNC, so he must have been looking for some action here. Some of the stuff I read over there really gives this thread a run for its money.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Navy is a hard team to get a handle on. They clearly have 2 knowns - Arline and Tolker - and 2 things stand out about them. First, Arline is clearly a big key - 14 of his 15 points have come in Navy's wins - so Towson/PSU/Lehigh (and maybe the rain in Bethlehem PA) have done a great job in shutting him down. Tolker has 11 goals and 0 assists - guess what he likes to do - if you slide off of him you better be able to recover. Swanson/Hewitt help anchor a big experienced middie line. Hewitt scored the last 2 goals in Navy's last win at Homewood and the game winner was assisted by Swanson. So I hate to disagree with the esteemed 10 goal prediction from 1947 - but in addition - Navy's face-off man and goalie could also provide a huige spark. Game is not in the win column just because Towson and PSU crushed them. Navy is averaging 40 shots per game but one might think they don't want to get very helter skelter with Hopkins. Someone asked earlier a week ago when Hopkins was #2 in the polls when was the last time they were #1 - it was indeed 2012 after breaking the Klockner curse but in the end of the season that team travelled to Annapolis to face a Navy team with a losing record - Hopkins came very close to getting shut out - a Zach Palmer goal that wouldn't have been a shock to waive off after falling in the crease back then and a SSDM goal with very short time left in the 4th. Now maybe Hopkins fans will probably argue that came on the heels of losing to Maryland in the second half the week before after leading 6-3 - well this Hopkins team just lost a game to a bitter rival and is about to embark on conference play - don't look ahead - play who is in front of you.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

IL article on Angelus turning into one of the game's better quarterbacks: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/62835
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:47 am
You said we don't deserve a seed in the tournament if it's not a "slam dunk" win tonight. Wgdsr is making fun of you for saying that. Though to be fair, what you said is different from saying it's a must-win game. He knows that, but The Sabre has spent several days arguing over a recruit flipping from Georgetown to UNC, so he must have been looking for some action here. Some of the stuff I read over there really gives this thread a run for its money.
Yes, there's a difference between making the tournament which is what he is alluding ("having a shot in may") to vs being a top 8 seed. I still stand by what I said.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

https://virginia.sportswar.com/message_ ... 00140c1a39

wow I just wandered over there for the first time and got the hell out
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

was chiding '06 on his takes and having difficulty with the quote function signing me off, so didn't use to quote him directly.

understanding that:
1) 6 was poking 'cuse fans in the inevitable postgame back and forth.
2) "must win" games have an entirely different meaning than what they used to in the modern era, see 1) above.

it was the admin references that forced the reply. as those seem to travel with some on the hop thread, regardless of the banter, with the weight of certitude. surprised didn't get a bubble/dome analogy.

speaking of certitude and must win games, there's not a team in the land yet that has solidified an nc$$ invite. or even gotten halfway there to doing so, even if we're projecting some 90+% outcomes. every single team could reasonably have a scenario where they're bubble or worse. all of which does make navy as much of a modern day "must win" for jhu as jhu was for cuse.

happy hunting tonight. by results over many of the recent years, this would seem to be a game navy circles annually. tough for hopkins to do with their schedule, so they'll need as always to make up for it in other ways.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:46 pm

They took some good shots at UNC. Trash-talking, but pretty mild. A few years ago I visited the Syracuse equivalent and found it unsparing in its criticism of Syracuse, specifically their HoF coach, and it felt worse, far worse than anything I read here about our HoF Coach (no, not the sainted Scotty, or the sometimes volcanic Chic).
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:59 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:46 pm

They took some good shots at UNC. Trash-talking, but pretty mild. A few years ago I visited the Syracuse equivalent and found it unsparing in its criticism of Syracuse, specifically their HoF coach, and it felt worse, far worse than anything I read here about our HoF Coach (no, not the sainted Scotty, or the sometimes volcanic Chic).
Would not be surprised to see Petro take over if Breschi doesn't right the ship
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Game starting at 7:30. Mids got stuck in traffic
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

On an unrelated note, I've always wondered (potential difficult woke president aside), has Hopkins ever considered going D1 in all sports?

Certainly if Loyola can, I don't see why not. Granted they don't have football but still.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:51 pm On an unrelated note, I've always wondered (potential difficult woke president aside), has Hopkins ever considered going D1 in all sports?

Certainly if Loyola can, I don't see why not. Granted they don't have football but still.
Why would they?
What would the upside be?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:59 pm
I've ventured over to read the Syracuse boards on occasion. Agree with your assessment. When they're losing it can be an ugly place. Certainly no better than here — probably worse. Had they not won last weekend, there would have been calls for Gait's head.

One of the downsides to this thread is that our worst days are laid bare for everyone else to see. Meanwhile, much of the Cuse/UVA/Maryland talk is siloed to their own forums, where people also talk about D1 football and basketball. Sometimes I feel like we should start a separate Hopkins board, but I don't really think that's the answer. Part of what makes this thread both frustrating but also (occasionally) fun and enlightening is that we welcome fans of other teams, and not all of them are trolls. It's probably a net positive in the long run.

Did the Mids' bus break down? How do you not account for Friday rush hour traffic?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:54 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:51 pm On an unrelated note, I've always wondered (potential difficult woke president aside), has Hopkins ever considered going D1 in all sports?

Why would they?
What would the upside be?
Better school spirit for one and a higher profile sports program. Sure it costs money, but they certainly have the funds.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Bauer on attack, Melendez at midfield
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:02 pm Bauer on attack, Melendez at midfield
Kind of odd? If Melendez is injured, why have him move around even more?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:03 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:02 pm Bauer on attack, Melendez at midfield
Kind of odd? If Melendez is injured, why have him move around even more?
He's not injured enough to not play. They're just trying to get him on some better matchups to help get him going. Not like he's going to play two-way middie or anything. It's all just offense — but coming in through the box. Not gonna be much more moving around. In fact, he'll be on the field less.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”