New Programs

D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: New Programs

Post by hmmm »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:51 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:58 am
laxdadpat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:21 am
1- "ehhhhh" D2 colleges - I have watched a large number of high school girls work their asses off in AP and honors classes getting terrific grades for all their years of high school. Then when it's time to pick a college, they go to some expensive private or overpriced out-of-state school that has "ehhhh" academic standards to play a D2 sport. There is no pot of gold in womens' lacrosse, it's all about getting the best education for the least amount of money!! It makes me cringe when I hear parents ask if college ABC is a D1 or D2 school.
Let me state that I think any kid should use her lacrosse playing to get into a "higher" academic institution if that is what she wants to do. I am curious as to the bold part of your reply.

Lets say we have Suzy supersmart that has worked her ass off in AP and honors courses. She goes to super duper college that is ranked as one of the "higher selective" institutions. Her hard work pays off and she gets a 20K scholarship off a 75K price tag. When there she is a member of the lacrosse team and majors in a stem field. As part of her degree she completes a semester of undergraduate research.

Now lets say we have the same Suzy supermart and she decided to go an ehhh D2 college. Her hard work pays off and she receives a 20K academic scholarship from the same 75K price tag but also gets a 15K athletic scholarship, Suzy is a member of the lacrosse team and also a stem major. She completes a semester of undergraduate research, is in a journal club for her major and has completed an internship. She does this for 60K less over her 4 years.

Where did Suzy get the best education for the least amount of money? This is largely up to the individual. Why? Because the depth and "quality" of a college education is largely dependent on that student. Getting a degree from a "high quality" institution does not immediately translate into a better education if said student does not take advantage of everything offered at the school. Going to an ehhh school does not immediately translate to a poorer education if the student does take advantage of everything the ehhh school has to offer.

Everything is relative.
If she has the academics, why would she not receive any Academic Scholarship money from the D1 "higher selective" institutions? A ton of my kids who I have coached received both athletic and academic money combined.
Many, and I believe most, high academic schools do not allow you to stack athletic and academic money.
Bart

Post by Bart »

1- "ehhhhh" D2 colleges - I have watched a large number of high school girls work their asses off in AP and honors classes getting terrific grades for all their years of high school. Then when it's time to pick a college, they go to some expensive private or overpriced out-of-state school that has "ehhhh" academic standards to play a D2 sport. There is no pot of gold in womens' lacrosse, it's all about getting the best education for the least amount of money!! It makes me cringe when I hear parents ask if college ABC is a D1 or D2 school.
Let me state that I think any kid should use her lacrosse playing to get into a "higher" academic institution if that is what she wants to do. I am curious as to the bold part of your reply.

Lets say we have Suzy supersmart that has worked her ass off in AP and honors courses. She goes to super duper college that is ranked as one of the "higher selective" institutions. Her hard work pays off and she gets a 20K scholarship off a 75K price tag. When there she is a member of the lacrosse team and majors in a stem field. As part of her degree she completes a semester of undergraduate research.

Now lets say we have the same Suzy supermart and she decided to go an ehhh D2 college. Her hard work pays off and she receives a 20K academic scholarship from the same 75K price tag but also gets a 15K athletic scholarship, Suzy is a member of the lacrosse team and also a stem major. She completes a semester of undergraduate research, is in a journal club for her major and has completed an internship. She does this for 60K less over her 4 years.

Where did Suzy get the best education for the least amount of money? This is largely up to the individual. Why? Because the depth and "quality" of a college education is largely dependent on that student. Getting a degree from a "high quality" institution does not immediately translate into a better education if said student does not take advantage of everything offered at the school. Going to an ehhh school does not immediately translate to a poorer education if the student does take advantage of everything the ehhh school has to offer.

Everything is relative.
If she has the academics, why would she not receive any Academic Scholarship money from the D1 "higher selective" institutions? A ton of my kids who I have coached received both athletic and academic money combined.
My response was regarding D3 vD2
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Bart wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:02 pm

Everything is relative.
My response was regarding D3 vD2
Some schools don’t stack academic and athletic. We were kinda lucky. My daughter committed to a school that she would not have gotten into without lax. She did extremely well with $$$ where better kids got far less athletic money at better lax schools. The only problem I see is this school isn’t really known for her major. They have it, but it’s not known for it. Would I have liked my daughter to go to a D2 or 3 really good school with good lax that is know for her major, along with the same amount of money? Yes. Did she? No. Like most 16 year old kids, they can’t see the forest through the trees. At the end of the day she’ll have no debt but is gonna have to work her tail off. And if she changes her mind, she always can transfer.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Great comments, I did say "they go to some expensive private or overpriced out-of-state school that has "ehhhh" academic standards to play a D2 sport". Most all the schools I am familiar with allow stacking of athletic and academic money. We all know lacrosse doesn't go above 40% athletic scholarship except for a very select few(1/3 is great athletic lax $). There are a lot of demands and sacrifices to play a sport in college. I don't understand why someone would sacrifice a better academic college over a lesser college unless it financially makes sense. I commend anyone coming out of college with little to no debt. We also all know there is 20x more academic money out there than athletic money. People can spend their money how they please, but it's a great lesson for the girls in finding their own the value of different universities.
Bart

Post by Bart »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:47 pm Great comments, I did say "they go to some expensive private or overpriced out-of-state school that has "ehhhh" academic standards to play a D2 sport". Most all the schools I am familiar with allow stacking of athletic and academic money. We all know lacrosse doesn't go above 40% athletic scholarship except for a very select few(1/3 is great athletic lax $). There are a lot of demands and sacrifices to play a sport in college. I don't understand why someone would sacrifice a better academic college over a lesser college unless it financially makes sense. I commend anyone coming out of college with little to no debt. We also all know there is 20x more academic money out there than athletic money. People can spend their money how they please, but it's a great lesson for the girls in finding their own the value of different universities.
I agree with much of what you said but I still don’t know what your definition of a better academic college? I realize we are straying off on a tangent but at least it’s an interesting topic.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

I think "better academic college" is really different depending on the girl. It may sound like the easy way out. I think majors mean something in college understanding most people often go into different fields. Going Ivy may be exception to that rule because it takes a special kid to get into any Ivy. It's all a balancing act finding the best fit taking academics, financials and athletics into consideration. Those 3 things are weighted differently for every family. I may have come on a little strong questioning D2 schools, but I have wondered why some girls even play a sport in college when they had some nice options that didn't involve committing to a sport (college club and intermural are a blast!).
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:22 pm I think "better academic college" is really different depending on the girl. It may sound like the easy way out. I think majors mean something in college understanding most people often go into different fields.
Unless the major is something very technical, like a lot of sciences, I really don't think majors matter all that much.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”