Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:27 am Good idea to move on, you got in over your head in the last discussion not knowing w*t*f you were talking about while trying to downplay Mullen's performance. Nobody came on here crowing about anything, I simply came on and pointed out that Callahan has faced more than two legit (in your opinion) FOGOs, nothing more than that. You then had to tell us all that 4 of 6 is nothing to crow about having no idea what Mullen has done for the year. Hint, he's taken more than the 6 face offs you've seen him take and proven to be "legit".
On to Navy.
The Syracuse record in the Gait era hasn't matched the hype from the program, their fans and their fanboys in the media. Needing to beat Hopkins for the first time in years midway through year 3 just to have a shot at May was probably not where the program expected to be nor was having players having to cut off Gait in press conferences to defend underachievement from Spallina. The PM Hopkins rebuild is ahead of the Gait rebuild and Gait doesn't have a President who already nuked one Hopkins season (and thinks alumni are bygones from another era) and an AD who in her own words doesn't give the program carte blanche, not to mention admissions to deal with.

Coming off a loss with a roster full of guys who remember 2022 I'm expecting a beatdown of Navy. It's probably Degnons last game against them and I hope they talk about his Brendan Looney connection a lot this week. Seems like a special guy.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ernie's game notes confirm what many unfortunately known for awhile, which is that English is out for the rest of the season. The silver lining is it happened early enough that he should be able to get a medical redshirt if he wants it. Bauer and Ayers have a done a nice job picking up some of the slack as initiators.

With a goal tomorrow night, Degnon will own the Hopkins record for most consecutive games with a goal (38). He's 6th all-time in goals with 136.

https://hopkinssports.com/documents/202 ... -_Navy.pdf
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

milliman is gator wrestling with the administration again!!! and admissions, because of course. question, has the navy game become a must win game just to have a shot in may? and is that where the program thought they'd be in year 4?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:51 am
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:27 am Good idea to move on, you got in over your head in the last discussion not knowing w*t*f you were talking about while trying to downplay Mullen's performance. Nobody came on here crowing about anything, I simply came on and pointed out that Callahan has faced more than two legit (in your opinion) FOGOs, nothing more than that. You then had to tell us all that 4 of 6 is nothing to crow about having no idea what Mullen has done for the year. Hint, he's taken more than the 6 face offs you've seen him take and proven to be "legit".
On to Navy.
The Syracuse record in the Gait era hasn't matched the hype from the program, their fans and their fanboys in the media. Needing to beat Hopkins for the first time in years midway through year 3 just to have a shot at May was probably not where the program expected to be nor was having players having to cut off Gait in press conferences to defend underachievement from Spallina. The PM Hopkins rebuild is ahead of the Gait rebuild and Gait doesn't have a President who already nuked one Hopkins season (and thinks alumni are bygones from another era) and an AD who in her own words doesn't give the program carte blanche, not to mention admissions to deal with.

Coming off a loss with a roster full of guys who remember 2022 I'm expecting a beatdown of Navy. It's probably Degnons last game against them and I hope they talk about his Brendan Looney connection a lot this week. Seems like a special guy.
Yes, there was somebody on the Syracuse thread saying 9-0 was realistic before the real competition of the ACC, but first, that post was more criticized than endorsed, and second, we too have endured disappointment following hype from our own posters.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Truth be told, both teams are 2 goals from being undefeated.
:o
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A lot will depend on seeding, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by Hopkins and Cuse meeting in the quarterfinals (or perhaps Final Four). Both teams have the pieces for a deep May run. And the Duke-UVA-ND triumvirate appears to have fallen back to the pack.

I was at the game in Annapolis the last time the two teams met in the NCAA tournament. Was an incredible lacrosse game. It's been way too long. I don't ever root for Syracuse, but I've got to say, I'm fine with them making strides if it comes at the expense of one of their ACC rivals.

They got the W last weekend, but we stole Quintan Kilrain away for another 3+ years. Longterm investment.

06 — the PM rebuild is a year ahead of the Gait rebuild. They remind me a lot of the Jays last year. Team that was improving but needed a bit of a push from some grad transfers to really help hammer in a winning culture and become nationally relevant again. Kohn and Stevens are doing for them this year what Mazzone and Melendez did for us last year. They have a bunch of other transfers but none are making the impact that those two are. I think their defense/lack of depth at SSDM puts a hard ceiling on their season but they should be back in the tournament for the first time since 2021.
Finster

Post by Finster »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:58 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:51 am
On to Navy.

Yes, there was somebody on the Syracuse thread saying 9-0 was realistic before the real competition of the ACC, but first, that post was more criticized than endorsed, and second, we too have endured disappointment following hype from our own posters.

It was me who said it, and to be fair to me :lol: , Cuse is only two OT's (2 goals, man, c'mon!) from being 8-0. So, my claim wasn't as crazy as it sounded.

The Delaware game will be far more instructive than the Hopkins game so far as how Syracuse goes the rest of the season. I previously claimed the Hopkins game meant far more to Cuse than to Hopkins...I still think that showed up in won GB's, FO's, and such. This game is Delaware's last opportunity of the season to show any OOC ability, having already lost to their two other tough OOC opponents (Penn by 1, Michigan by 5). The Hens need this game badly, Cuse less so.

Unless Delaware found their permanent FOGO last week (and they may have; OJ Morris went 81% at the dot...frankly he's more effective than Premtaj), this will be a tough out for the Hens (if Kohn/Mullen go 60%+).

Still weird to me that Cuse will not have played one away game for 9 games to start a season (this game is in Chantilly VA, which I'd normally like to attend but I am headed to College Park to see UVA play Maryland). Just amazing. Is any other D1 team in the same boat, not having played an away game to start a season 9 games?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

On to Navy.

Calm down. I presented you with math - he took minimal faceoffs against UMD and Army - why is that? He won the majority of his faceoffs against Manhattan, Colgate, Utah who have faceoff win percentages of 41%, 34%, 35%. So what does his win percentage tell us? Nothing with the small sample size. Is he legit? perhaps. It's simply too early to tell is my point. Yes on to navy. Listen to your own advice.
Last edited by norcalhop on Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... n-j-/62820

Long look at Lawrenceville which has another Hop kid. I know a lot of people here have talked about the lacrosse relationship but there were tons of kids who didn't play lacrosse when I was at Hopkins who went there too and almost as much if not more than any other school. Some kind of relationship there that goes beyond balls and sticks.

Sad on English, but also opens doors for ayers and chauvette to really get a lot of extra reps these next 10 weeks or so and gain the confidence and experience to help lead the offense the next 3 years.

I didn't watch every last minute of the syracuse broadcast but I wonder if they tinker with the personnel on man up this week. Statistically Navy is all over the place although in this game you almost throw out the stats because I'm sure they'll give all kinds of effort. Most importantly they win faceoffs so it's a really good test to see improvement.

They're 63 in man up, 62 in opponent clear percentage, 50th in caused turnovers, 50th in shot percentage, but 12th in face off percentage and 19th in gbs.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:34 am Ernie's game notes confirm what many unfortunately known for awhile, which is that English is out for the rest of the season. The silver lining is it happened early enough that he should be able to get a medical redshirt if he wants it. Bauer and Ayers have a done a nice job picking up some of the slack as initiators.

With a goal tomorrow night, Degnon will own the Hopkins record for most consecutive games with a goal (38). He's 6th all-time in goals with 136.

https://hopkinssports.com/documents/202 ... -_Navy.pdf
While expected, this is a disappointment on English.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:17 pm

Still weird to me that Cuse will not have played one away game for 9 games to start a season (this game is in Chantilly VA, which I'd normally like to attend but I am headed to College Park to see UVA play Maryland). Just amazing. Is any other D1 team in the same boat, not having played an away game to start a season 9 games?
I mean playing in NC and Chantilly aren't exactly the dome. I get that they are the listed home team but they still are travelling.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:17 pm I previously claimed the Hopkins game meant far more to Cuse than to Hopkins...I still think that showed up in won GB's, FO's, and such.
"And such" is doing a lot of work here. It was already pointed out to you that Hopkins had more non-faceoff groundballs. Kohn accounted for a third of Cuse's GBs himself.

I don't disagree that Cuse needed this game more, but the case that that showed up in the stat sheet or on film is vanishingly thin. Both teams played hard — as hard as the slip and slide that was that wet Charlotte turf would allow.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:05 pm

I mean playing in NC and Chantilly aren't exactly the dome. I get that they are the listed home team but they still are travelling.
This was Hopkins third straight road game but in reality this was a neutral site game for both teams.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:05 pm A lot will depend on seeding, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by Hopkins and Cuse meeting in the quarterfinals (or perhaps Final Four). Both teams have the pieces for a deep May run. And the Duke-UVA-ND triumvirate appears to have fallen back to the pack.

I was at the game in Annapolis the last time the two teams met in the NCAA tournament. Was an incredible lacrosse game. It's been way too long. I don't ever root for Syracuse, but I've got to say, I'm fine with them making strides if it comes at the expense of one of their ACC rivals.

They got the W last weekend, but we stole Quintan Kilrain away for another 3+ years. Longterm investment.

06 — the PM rebuild is a year ahead of the Gait rebuild. They remind me a lot of the Jays last year. Team that was improving but needed a bit of a push from some grad transfers to really help hammer in a winning culture and become nationally relevant again. Kohn and Stevens are doing for them this year what Mazzone and Melendez did for us last year. They have a bunch of other transfers but none are making the impact that those two are. I think their defense/lack of depth at SSDM puts a hard ceiling on their season but they should be back in the tournament for the first time since 2021.
but have they fallen back to the pack yet?
duke in '23 took an l to jax, this year penn.
hoos lost at home to umd, this year jhu.
nd won all of their ooc in 2023, but did get nicked by georgetown. so an uptick, but a minor one so far.

still games to play. duke has richmond, denver, boston. uva still has the terps in byrd and an undefeated lost cause. nd with gorillas that want to rip their face off and cornell before getting a pretty boy slate.

so that group could take some more losses. and then there's whether or not they can run the table with cuse and unc again. lot of script to write.
Finster

Post by Finster »

norcalhop wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:10 pm

This was Hopkins third straight road game but in reality this was a neutral site game for both teams.

I guess I meant the Orange haven’t played away in front of an away hostile crowd, like AT Hopkins or AT Delaware, not neutral sites where lacrosse crowds often are often muted. 9 games is a long stretch.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:57 pm

I guess I meant the Orange haven’t played away in front of an away hostile crowd, like AT Hopkins or AT Delaware, not neutral sites where lacrosse crowds often are often muted. 9 games is a long stretch.
In '22, UNC played their first seven, and nine of their first 10, in Chapel Hill. The only away game that stretch was to High Point, still in NC. The only games outside of North Carolina for them that season were to Charlottesville, VA and South Bend, IN.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:57 pm

True
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:32 am
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:44 pm Predictions for Navy game? I say Hop by at least three.
Jays 17 , Squids 7.
Anyone else predicting a similar score?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:07 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:32 am
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:44 pm Predictions for Navy game? I say Hop by at least three.
Jays 17 , Squids 7.
Anyone else predicting a similar score?
DK has the Jays -7.5 and the O/U at 23, so this prediction isn't that far off. That said, I'd probably take Navy to cover and the under. Say 13-8 Jays or so. This game always seems to be closer than it "should" be. But who knows, Navy has had some real stinkers this year, even though they do seem pretty talented.
OldOrange

Post by OldOrange »

I expect Hopkins to win. Navy's performances have been all over the place. That said, FOGO is at 60% and goalie is at 52% so if they can stay even with possessions it should be competitive. Blue Jays by 5 as they have too much firepower for mids.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”