NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
jumpman23

Re: NESCAC

Post by jumpman23 »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:29 pm
BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:19 pm I didn't see the play, but if the shooter conitinued his momentum into the goal mouth, across the inner arc, then that would be a violation.
Thought it looked like he was way outside of it when I was watching. Stream is archived so I can't check (Endicott password-protects all of their old streams, which...seriously? Why?), but I didn't think it was close.
I watched parts of the game and Bowdoin was very sloppy. Turned it over a ton, forced passes, out coached on D, in addition to no face offs. Outplayed in every phase by a lot for the time I watched. This game was either a trap game and a big wake up call, or they will have a tough time again making the tourney.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

nescac commit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:57 pm Obviously important games for Bowdin and Amherst. How does this change perceptions of the CAC moving forward?
100%

The wait is over. We’ve seen. If Wesleyan can keep churning out 20+ goal wins, they might wind up top 20 soon. The league better hope for that. Bowdoin was outplayed in all aspects. Not top 10, not top 20. Middlebury has shown their stripes. They’re out too.

1. Tufts
2. (Maybe) Wesleyan
3+. Hodgepodge

When’s the last time the NESCAC got 1 bid?
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:07 pm When’s the last time the NESCAC got 1 bid?
Now that's funny :lol:
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 pm
SaltCounty wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:51 pm Clearly no replay in Beverly - wonder if there would have been in Brunswick?
Pros of instant replay: terrible refs are neutralized
Cons of instant replay: everyone insufferably twirling their fingers in the air after every call that doesn't go their way

Impossible decision :lol:
I thought I had heard some of the more resourceful D3 schools were able & planning to use it.
And that teams just needed to be briefed that it would be a part of the game, beforehand.
Wonder if it will be at the Mustang Classic this weekend - would not be surprised with their operation.
RetiredLLLaxer

Post by RetiredLLLaxer »

I would not be so quick to write off Bowdoin…or Middlebury for that matter. Endicott is now a one loss team with some good wins on their resume - think they’re better than people realize. The one loss came to Union in a tight one. Midd and Union face off in a week and that will be a true testament to both teams ability after Midd handled them twice last year.

Bowdoin will be just fine, especially once Barnard returns. He is a game changer. You will see 3-4 NESCAC teams minimum in the NCAA tournament come year end. Seems like LL will be the same way.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 pm
BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm I have seen one replay called this season, which seems crazy given the refs are looking at the same video feed. Unless it's high quality with a zoom function of some kind, a D3 replay call seems useless.
Should have make a joke about Bowdoin's endowment after all, didn't even think about the replay rule change applying to the NCAA as a whole and not just D-I. Would be interesting in D-III to say the least; three referees squinting at a livestream replay trying to find the right timestamp before announcing that "the play stands as called" because the camera operator was fixated on the midfield line for the entire offensive possession.
:lol: exactly...
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

wavylax2655 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:02 pm Wow, what a rollercoaster for the NESCAC tonight.

Trinity wins, to be expected, against Western Conn.

Amherst gets a huge out-of-conference win against a solid Swat team. Thought Lykins and Kopp played really well and 22 scoring 4 goals was the difference. Noticed that 30 bumped down to attack with Bennett being out, and played really well I may add. Does anyone have any info on Bennett's injury?

Don't know what happened with this Bowdoin team. Even with the massive disparity at the faceoff dot, I didn't think the Gulls had the talent to hang with the Polar Bears. Although Bowdoin got robbed with a couple of calls, a lot of credit should go to the Endicott coaching staff. Clearly that 9 goal loss last year left a bad taste and they made up for it with a massive win tonight.
I think that Bennett's status will be a really important factor for Amherst, he draws a lot of attention defensively and still produces, they definitely missed him yesterday, despite the win.
Cannonlax1

Post by Cannonlax1 »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 pm Assuming I understand the goal/crease rules as they stand in 2024, Bowdoin just got absolutely robbed of a fourth quarter goal that would have continued a three-goal run and shrunk the deficit to two. Ball is already hitting the back of the net here, shooter is still a full foot outside of the crease. Far referee came sprinting in to rule it a crease violation; Endicott immediately went down and scored back-to-back goals. Image

Credit the response from the Gulls; they answered every Bowdoin run in this game with one of their own. Impressive W!
The excuses and replies in this thread for a Bowdoin team that did not lead once the entire game are comical. We are talking about Division 3 refs and replay to discount a top 10 team getting flat-out outplayed for 60 minutes. They even went as far to ask for a stick check on Endicotts fogo down 4 with 2 minutes left… comical
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Cannonlax1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am
ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 pm Assuming I understand the goal/crease rules as they stand in 2024, Bowdoin just got absolutely robbed of a fourth quarter goal that would have continued a three-goal run and shrunk the deficit to two. Ball is already hitting the back of the net here, shooter is still a full foot outside of the crease. Far referee came sprinting in to rule it a crease violation; Endicott immediately went down and scored back-to-back goals.

Credit the response from the Gulls; they answered every Bowdoin run in this game with one of their own. Impressive W!
The excuses and replies in this thread for a Bowdoin team that did not lead once the entire game are comical. We are talking about Division 3 refs and replay to discount a top 10 team getting flat-out outplayed for 60 minutes. They even went as far to ask for a stick check on Endicotts fogo down 4 with 2 minutes left… comical
Amen! I mentioned that last night when the cry me a river, bad call whiners started to appear. Bowden fans should be 2nd to last to complain about officiating.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:29 pm
BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:19 pm I didn't see the play, but if the shooter conitinued his momentum into the goal mouth, across the inner arc, then that would be a violation.
Thought it looked like he was way outside of it when I was watching. Stream is archived so I can't check (Endicott password-protects all of their old streams, which...seriously? Why?), but I didn't think it was close.
A lot of schools seem to do this. It makes absolutely no sense to password protect the game film. Opposing teams will get their hands on it anyway, so all you are doing is handicapping the promotion of your program.
laxxer27

Post by laxxer27 »

SaltCounty wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:47 am
ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 pm
SaltCounty wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:51 pm Clearly no replay in Beverly - wonder if there would have been in Brunswick?
Pros of instant replay: terrible refs are neutralized
Cons of instant replay: everyone insufferably twirling their fingers in the air after every call that doesn't go their way

I thought I had heard some of the more resourceful D3 schools were able & planning to use it.
And that teams just needed to be briefed that it would be a part of the game, beforehand.
Wonder if it will be at the Mustang Classic this weekend - would not be surprised with their operation.
Williams is using replay this year. It just goes off the live feed and they can stop and replay it on an Ipad. Cant imagine that being very useful. Yes the Mustang Classic will be using replay.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Cannonlax1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am The excuses and replies in this thread for a Bowdoin team that did not lead once the entire game are comical. We are talking about Division 3 refs and replay to discount a top 10 team getting flat-out outplayed for 60 minutes.
1. Where exactly did anyone use this call as an excuse? It was a terrible call; it also happened with like 8 minutes remaining and plenty of time to come back. This isn’t like Penn State last season. Relax.

2. How is it possible that you thought people making jokes about instant replay = “omg bowdin fans can’t cope!!” Seriously?

3. Do you actually think that pointing out a team plays differently without their All-American FOGO is “making excuses” and not just talking about something that was a) a factor in the result and b) inarguably impacts the forecast for Bowdoin moving forwards?
ah23

Post by ah23 »

RetiredLLLaxer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:51 am I would not be so quick to write off Bowdoin…or Middlebury for that matter. Endicott is now a one loss team with some good wins on their resume - think they’re better than people realize. The one loss came to Union in a tight one.
Endicott reminds me a bit of 2022 MIT, but with a lower ceiling (they don’t have anyone remotely close to Ryan Gebhardt, or arguably Matthew Sardis either). They should end up something like 14-1/13-2 entering the conference tourney and could be ranked #19 +/- 3 in the polls. Interesting team.
choochooCharlie

Question(s)-

Is it really so unfathomable for a NESCAC team who entered the season being thought of as strong, to actually be much more middle of the road?

Must we assert the unpredicted dominance of any opponent who “upsets” them, in obvious attempt to qualify that said NESCAC team is still quite strong?

Its disingenuous to suggest we need to “wait and see” for NESCAC conference play, when time and again the NESCAC has proven that teams play each other in-conference very tough, despite the rankings or lack there of. Thereby making it a poor measuring stick of ceilings and cellars.

Just my NESCAC 2 cents on an open NESCAC forum.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

ah23 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:59 pm
RetiredLLLaxer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:51 am I would not be so quick to write off Bowdoin…or Middlebury for that matter. Endicott is now a one loss team with some good wins on their resume - think they’re better than people realize. The one loss came to Union in a tight one.
Endicott reminds me a bit of 2022 MIT, but with a lower ceiling (they don’t have anyone remotely close to Ryan Gebhardt, or arguably Matthew Sardis either). They should end up something like 14-1/13-2 entering the conference tourney and could be ranked #19 +/- 3 in the polls. Interesting team.
This is a stretch given the way their past 2 seasons have ended.
Maybe it will be different this Spring.
But they've regressed as the year goes on the last two.
So until they win a final, this loss is not a good one for Bowdoin.
Cannonlax1

Post by Cannonlax1 »

ah23 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:44 pm
Cannonlax1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am The excuses and replies in this thread for a Bowdoin team that did not lead once the entire game are comical. We are talking about Division 3 refs and replay to discount a top 10 team getting flat-out outplayed for 60 minutes.
1. Where exactly did anyone use this call as an excuse? It was a terrible call; it also happened with like 8 minutes remaining and plenty of time to come back. This isn’t like Penn State last season. Relax.

2. How is it possible that you thought people making jokes about instant replay = “omg bowdin fans can’t cope!!” Seriously?

3. Do you actually think that pointing out a team plays differently without their All-American FOGO is “making excuses” and not just talking about something that was a) a factor in the result and b) inarguably impacts the forecast for Bowdoin moving forwards?

1. There were multiple terrible calls by that crew throughout that game. Multiple missed calls at the X and around the crease.

2. Sure sounds like jokes alright

3. Endicotts fogo went nearly 50/50 with Bowdoins last year before he got knocked out of the game. That was a 2-4 goal game going each way into the 4th quarter while both fogos were healthy. Same scenario as this year but flipped.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Bowdoin lost by three goals. They played bad and lost. One call does not dictate the game except in rare instances but even in those games, there are plenty of mistakes. Bowdoin fans need to stop their complaining and accept that they got beat by the tean that played better.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:55 pm Question(s)-

Is it really so unfathomable for a NESCAC team who entered the season being thought of as strong, to actually be much more middle of the road?

Must we assert the unpredicted dominance of any opponent who “upsets” them, in obvious attempt to qualify that said NESCAC team is still quite strong?

Its disingenuous to suggest we need to “wait and see” for NESCAC conference play, when time and again the NESCAC has proven that teams play each other in-conference very tough, despite the rankings or lack there of. Thereby making it a poor measuring stick of ceilings and cellars.

Answers: You’ve had 113 total posts, more than 50% of them, 59(!) have been bashing the NESCAC. It’s a crazy obsession.

Yes, it’s an open Forum, so keep it up, you’re really moving the needle with pollsters and brackets! We’re sorry that your team, CNU didn’t beat Tufts by 6 as you predicted.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Cannonlax1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm 1. There were multiple terrible calls by that crew throughout that game. Multiple missed calls at the X and around the crease.

Just to clarify: your response to me saying that the blown crease violation call obviously isn't an excuse and had nothing to do with deciding the game was...to prolong a (literally nonexistent) argument by vaguely bringing up other calls for no apparent reason.
Cannonlax1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm 2. Sure sounds like jokes alright
To be fair, only for people who can read.
ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 pm Pros of instant replay: terrible refs are neutralized

BallHunt wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:20 am
ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 pm
BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm I have seen one replay called this season, which seems crazy given the refs are looking at the same video feed. Unless it's high quality with a zoom function of some kind, a D3 replay call seems useless.
Should have make a joke about Bowdoin's endowment after all, didn't even think about the replay rule change applying to the NCAA as a whole and not just D-I. Would be interesting in D-III to say the least; three referees squinting at a livestream replay trying to find the right timestamp before announcing that "the play stands as called" because the camera operator was fixated on the midfield line for the entire offensive possession.
:lol: exactly...
Clearly a very serious conversation and definitely not a series of interactions between people who basically had no idea that D3 replay even existed and were laughing about the idea of it being implemented. Great sleuthing.
Cannonlax1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm 3. Endicotts fogo went nearly 50/50 with Bowdoins last year before he got knocked out of the game. That was a 2-4 goal game going each way into the 4th quarter while both fogos were healthy. Same scenario as this year but flipped.
Endicott's FOGO went 4/23 against Bowdoin last year. Making up fake stats is a wild move.
choochooCharlie

SouthieLax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:40 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:55 pm Question(s)-

Answers: You’ve had 113 total posts, more than 50% of them, 59(!) have been bashing the NESCAC. It’s a crazy obsession.

Yes, it’s an open Forum, so keep it up, you’re really moving the needle with pollsters and brackets! We’re sorry that your team, CNU didn’t beat Tufts by 6 as you predicted.
Didn’t answer any questions. Resorted to personal attacks. Sad. They’re valid questions, it is what it is. Next.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”