NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SixBySix

Re: NESCAC

Post by SixBySix »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:54 pm Amherst comes out of half on fire, up 11-9
Really making hay in unsettled situations, and kept the pressure on with big face off and GB wins. Denied Swat the ball most of the quarter. Not to get too in love with my own analysis, but they clearly adjusted at the half to hedge and half slide more, with less aggressive doubling.

Another strange end to the quarter with Mabbs stinging a 30-yard bounce shot to beat the buzzer yet again. 12-10 Mammoth to the 4th.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

14-11 Mammoth win. Nice win, that will help come tourney selection time.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

Ugly second half by Swarthmore. Credit to Amherst goalie, he stood on his head. I’m sure that game will leave a sour taste for Swarthmore.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

CentennialPundit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 pm Ugly second half by Swarthmore. Credit to Amherst goalie, he stood on his head. I’m sure that game will leave a sour taste for Swarthmore.
Amherst goalie at 56%, Swath at 55%. Were a bunch of those soft? Otherwise, doesn’t seem like goaltending was difference here. Sounds like Swath had 2 fluke goals at the end of periods.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:25 pm
CentennialPundit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 pm Ugly second half by Swarthmore. Credit to Amherst goalie, he stood on his head. I’m sure that game will leave a sour taste for Swarthmore.
Amherst goalie at 56%, Swath at 55%. Were a bunch of those soft? Otherwise, doesn’t seem like goaltending was difference here. Sounds like Swath had 2 fluke goals at the end of periods.
Both goalies played well. Amherst goalie made some day light robbery saves. Many 1 on 1 right on the doorstep, especially when Amherst went on their run.
laxguy12389

Post by laxguy12389 »

Polar Bears desperately missing Barnard... 3/18 at the X less than 4 minutes into the 3rd
ah23

Post by ah23 »

4/23 now...Endicott's FOGO is very good, but still - that's a crazy percentage. Did Barnard get hurt in the WNE game?

Edit: weirdly enough, Endicott's FOGO was...4/23 against Barnard in last year's game, which Bowdoin won by nine goals. Turns out that it's hard to win if you never have the ball.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Assuming I understand the goal/crease rules as they stand in 2024, Bowdoin just got absolutely robbed of a fourth quarter goal that would have continued a three-goal run and shrunk the deficit to two. Ball is already hitting the back of the net here, shooter is still a full foot outside of the crease. Far referee came sprinting in to rule it a crease violation; Endicott immediately went down and scored back-to-back goals. Image

Credit the response from the Gulls; they answered every Bowdoin run in this game with one of their own. Impressive W!
Last edited by ah23 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

NESCRACK

Ah really?

You are going to cry about bad reffing? The Bears were so outplayed the went to a stick check. That’s a great look.
Last edited by SKUD on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Not a good loss for Bowdoin or the NESCAC
Hopefully Barnard is not out for the long term
Three wins against sub .500 teams - with the next two games against sub .500 teams as well (Conn & MIT)
Amherst game on 3/23 will be a big one for them
Last edited by SaltCounty on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 pm Assuming I understand the goal/crease rules as they stand in 2024, Bowdoin just got absolutely robbed of a fourth quarter goal that would have continued a three-goal run and shrunk the deficit to two. Ball is already hitting the back of the net here, shooter is still a full foot outside of the crease. Far referee came sprinting in to rule it a crease violation; Endicott immediately went down and scored back-to-back goals. Image

Credit the response from the Gulls; they answered every Bowdoin run in this game with one of their own. Impressive W!
Clearly no replay in Beverly - wonder if there would have been in Brunswick?
nescac commit

Post by nescac commit »

Obviously important games for Bowdoin Amherst. How does this change perceptions of the CAC moving forward?

Edit: clearly never made it to the CAC because I can’t spell. Also, that was a goal mouth violation per how the rule is being enforced this year.
Last edited by nescac commit on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

nescac commit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:57 pm Obviously important games for Bowdin and Amherst. How does this change perceptions of the CAC moving forward?
Down v Liberty league this year it seems clear so far.
wavylax2655

Post by wavylax2655 »

Wow, what a rollercoaster for the NESCAC tonight.

Trinity wins, to be expected, against Western Conn.

Amherst gets a huge out-of-conference win against a solid Swat team. Thought Lykins and Kopp played really well and 22 scoring 4 goals was the difference. Noticed that 30 bumped down to attack with Bennett being out, and played really well I may add. Does anyone have any info on Bennett's injury?

Don't know what happened with this Bowdoin team. Even with the massive disparity at the faceoff dot, I didn't think the Gulls had the talent to hang with the Polar Bears. Although Bowdoin got robbed with a couple of calls, a lot of credit should go to the Endicott coaching staff. Clearly that 9 goal loss last year left a bad taste and they made up for it with a massive win tonight.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

SaltCounty wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:51 pm Clearly no replay in Beverly - wonder if there would have been in Brunswick?
Pros of instant replay: terrible refs are neutralized
Cons of instant replay: everyone insufferably twirling their fingers in the air after every call that doesn't go their way

Impossible decision :lol:
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 pm Assuming I understand the goal/crease rules as they stand in 2024, Bowdoin just got absolutely robbed of a fourth quarter goal that would have continued a three-goal run and shrunk the deficit to two. Ball is already hitting the back of the net here, shooter is still a full foot outside of the crease. Far referee came sprinting in to rule it a crease violation; Endicott immediately went down and scored back-to-back goals. Image

I didn't see the play, but if the shooter conitinued his momentum into the goal mouth, across the inner arc, then that would be a violation.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ah23

Post by ah23 »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:19 pm I didn't see the play, but if the shooter conitinued his momentum into the goal mouth, across the inner arc, then that would be a violation.
Thought it looked like he was way outside of it when I was watching. Stream is archived so I can't check (Endicott password-protects all of their old streams, which...seriously? Why?), but I didn't think it was close.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:29 pm
BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:19 pm I didn't see the play, but if the shooter conitinued his momentum into the goal mouth, across the inner arc, then that would be a violation.
Thought it looked like he was way outside of it when I was watching. Stream is archived so I can't check (Endicott password-protects all of their old streams, which...seriously? Why?), but I didn't think it was close.
I have seen one replay called this season, which seems crazy given the refs are looking at the same video feed. Unless it's high quality with a zoom function of some kind, a D3 replay call seems useless.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ah23

Post by ah23 »

nescac commit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:57 pm Obviously important games for Bowdin and Amherst. How does this change perceptions of the CAC moving forward?
Think it's wait and see for both of them.

For Bowdoin:
  • If Barnard returns (and is actually healthy enough to play at his normal level) I think the same expectations should remain. Should host a NESCAC tourney game, should make the tournament, should win at least one game.
  • If Barnard is out long-term, Bowdoin clearly gets knocked down a peg (or six). Similar to St. John Fisher when Joe Post graduated; a lot of issues show up when you stop winning 70%+ of faceoffs.
For Amherst:
  • Swarthmore is obviously good, but...Amherst should win that game. I don't think beating them in a competitive game moves the needle much w/r/t perceptions/expectations.
  • On the other hand...the next few weeks will be massive. 3/20 @ Gettysburg, 3/23 @ Bowdoin, 3/30 vs. Lynchburg (@ UPenn), 4/3 @ Wesleyan, 4/6 vs. Williams. Five games against ranked teams in a span of 17 days, with three as true road games and a fourth as a neutral site game at Penn. There's a chance that Amherst emerges from that stretch at something like 7-3/8-2 (or 9-1 if you're a Mammoth fan in a fever dream) and a comfortable top ten ranking. There's also a chance that they stumble to 4-6/5-5 and are all but eliminated from Pool C consideration by early April.
Bowdoin has a much easier time over the next month; Amherst/Babson plus five games they should cruise in. Huge stretches for both teams, for very different reasons.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm I have seen one replay called this season, which seems crazy given the refs are looking at the same video feed. Unless it's high quality with a zoom function of some kind, a D3 replay call seems useless.
Should have make a joke about Bowdoin's endowment after all, didn't even think about the replay rule change applying to the NCAA as a whole and not just D-I. Would be interesting in D-III to say the least; three referees squinting at a livestream replay trying to find the right timestamp before announcing that "the play stands as called" because the camera operator was fixated on the midfield line for the entire offensive possession.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”