Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by Finster »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 am Crazy thing about Kohn is that he didn’t even play lax at Tufts until his junior year. He went there for hockey and played that all three years (one cancelled for COVID), captain senior year. Came out for lax as a junior.
He also played his first college fall ball at Cuse. He was prepping in the fall for Hockey at Tufts. Pretty awesome story.

Hockey and wrestling seem to lend some ability to a faceoff guy.

Kohn did his job in the ‘23 championship versus Salisbury, going 78% in the game at the dot, even though Salisbury won convincingly 17-12 (which obviously would have been much a much worse loss for Tufts if Kohn wasn’t dominating FO: ‘money isn’t everything but it sure keeps the kids in touch’ = ‘if you have a good FOGO, you won’t get blown out’).
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:44 pm Predictions for Navy game? I say Hop by at least three.
Jays 17 , Squids 7.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:14 pm
norcalhop wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:28 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:40 pm
coda wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:42 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:25 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:26 pm
coda wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:14 pm Fogo is the weakness on both Hop and PSU
It clearly was on Saturday. Am I crazy to think that between Callahan and Dunn, Hop should be able to find a way to get to at least 40-45% in most games? I don't expect them to dominate many games, but I also don't see 30% as being a regular occurrence either. Am I overrating them?

Wing play was not great on Saturday either (Kilrain's one time GB to transition assist notwithstanding). Didn't notice McDermott much - and he'd been pretty good this year.
I think your likely right. Both Callahan and Dunn have been around 50% and haven't really been dominated outside of the game against Kohn. As long as they can keep it at 45% or above Hop should be fine in most games. Only real concern would be if they run into a Naso or Wierman or someone of that ilk who is just on that day and who just goes off ala Kohn. Wing play always looks bad when the other teams FOGO is dominating, its very rare that wing play can counter a great FOGO. Perhaps on a few draws they can force a turnover but in most cases when an elite fogo is on they are winning it clean to themselves or directing where they want it.
Hopkins has faced 2 legit guys in Wambach and Kohn. Both went 72% on faceoffs. (I dont put Stathakis in that group, he mostly feasts on poor faceoffs teams. He was 54% vs Hopkins). So the comment was based on elite FOGOs, which is where Maryland and Michigan come in. It something that Hopkins will not face much, but could set a ceiling on their season.
Actually, 3....Cuse's Mullen (absolutely legit freshman) went nearly 70% v Hop too.
4 out of 6 is not something to crow about
He's 43 of 66, 65%, for the year.
Would you be crowing about that if he were a Hop FOGO?
coda said legit FOGOs...he's legit.
No I wouldn't. Again, small sample size against Hopkins - what they did against lesser competition is irrelevant (Mullen is an amazing 1 for 2 against UMD and 4-8 against Army). If he had gone 4 for 8 and lost the next 2 (again small sample), would you still cite him against Hopkins?

I've been harsh on our FOs instead of defensive like some other homer fans have been.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The guy is 65% for the year, when the freshman comes in for Kohn you lose virtually nothing.
Go ahead and find reasons to understate his effectiveness but you're being ridiculous about
it....and yes you would, you'd very happy with a 65-70% FOGO at Hop.
See ya.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:57 pm The guy is 65% for the year, when the freshman comes in for Kohn you lose virtually nothing.
Go ahead and find reasons to understate his effectiveness but you're being ridiculous about
it....and yes you would, you'd very happy with a 65-70% FOGO at Hop.
See ya.
Later. Enjoy legit competition away from home from now on.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So far so good with that, or was that last one not legit competition?
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 pm So far so good with that, or was that last one not legit competition?

He kind of walked right into the fire with that.

😂😂
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 am Crazy thing about Kohn is that he didn’t even play lax at Tufts until his junior year. He went there for hockey and played that all three years (one cancelled for COVID), captain senior year. Came out for lax as a junior.
He also played his first college fall ball at Cuse. He was prepping in the fall for Hockey at Tufts. Pretty awesome story.
He actually still hasn't played in a fall ball as he was hurt this past fall and didn't practice.

Rumor is he may have another year if he wants it but it's unlikely he's back.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 pm So far so good with that, or was that last one not legit competition?
Try playing multiple away games against real teams (not ones like manhattan) before trolling yea?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Good win for the Orange, they've come a long way since Gait's first year. But if I'm a Cuse fan I'm worried less about arguing the merits of a faceoff guy in the Hopkins FanLax thread and more about a defense that allowed Hopkins' most efficient day on offense in years. That's not an exaggeration. The Jays scored on half of their possessions. I don't even feel like they played all that well either — bad EMO, Angelus mostly limited, Melendez banged up — didn't feel like their best day, and yet the stats don't lie. Celebrate now but this does not have a happy ending in CNY if that doesn't get fixed.

Turning the page to Navy...IL had their freshman FO high on its list of top frosh. Kilrain was #6 (Chauv #18 and Ayers #31). Navy does not have the offense to exploit a faceoff advantage like Cuse did, but the Jays cannot go into this matchup thinking their talent will just win the day.

Friday night lights should be fun, hopefully a decent crowd if the weather holds up. Forecast calls for some showers as of right now.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Some Stats-They need more from Melendez period, more wing play especially to help dunn on faceoffs, more contributions beyond degnon/collison on man up, and more activity on offense from angelus beyond just scoring. Some of this seems like nit picking but this is a team that's a few goals from 7-0 and shooting for memorial day not 2 goals from being within 5 in a loss as it was often a few years ago and shooting for a May prayer. Again the stats are through 7 games, some guys have moved around the roster and depth chart, have injuries, the weather sucks earlier in the year, we've played a lot of acc teams who do xyz better than big ten teams, and last year the season went 18 yadda yadda yadda. I'm not taking the time to figure in those exact adjustments.

Man up Offense last 3 full years Petro. "If you foul the jays the band will play, and again and again."
2017 60 percent 1st in the nation/2018 35 percent 31st in the nation/2019 45 percent 5th in the nation

Man up Offense 2023/2024 "If you foul the jays only degnon and collison might make the band play"
34 percent 45th in the nation/38 percent 30th in nation. Collison/Degnon 6 of the teams 8 total goals.

Melendez Goals/Assists/Points/SH/SHT%/SOG/GBS-total drop-off everywhere
23 37/16/53/93/39%/70/14
24 7/6/13/32/22%/21/3

Angelus Goals/Assists/Shooting percentage/gbs-more goals, better shooting, assists and gbs are way down.
23 17/44/61/32%/26
24 13/17/30/59%/6

Deans/McDermott-wings
2024 Gbs 9/10
Mazzone/Hawley wings
2023 gbs 77/31

Dunn faceoff win percentage/gbs
2023-511/61
2024-440 /13

callahan faceoff
2023 456
2024 526

Narewski
2023 504

Team faceoffs-503 up from 496 last year
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:10 pm Good win for the Orange, they've come a long way since Gait's first year. But if I'm a Cuse fan I'm worried less about arguing the merits of a faceoff guy in the Hopkins FanLax thread and more about a defense that allowed Hopkins' most efficient day on offense in years. That's not an exaggeration. The Jays scored on half of their possessions. I don't even feel like they played all that well either — bad EMO, Angelus mostly limited, Melendez banged up — didn't feel like their best day, and yet the stats don't lie. Celebrate now but this does not have a happy ending in CNY if that doesn't get fixed.

Turning the page to Navy...IL had their freshman FO high on its list of top frosh. Kilrain was #6 (Chauv #18 and Ayers #31). Navy does not have the offense to exploit a faceoff advantage like Cuse did, but the Jays cannot go into this matchup thinking their talent will just win the day.

Friday night lights should be fun, hopefully a decent crowd if the weather holds up. Forecast calls for some showers as of right now.
Indeed, winning 71% of the playoffs yet beating your opponent by 1 isn't great.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

2024 4 star midfielder recruit from Georgetown Prep.

“FINAL: Georgetown Prep 8, Loyola Blakefield 7

Ciaran McCleary wins it in sudden death with his hat trick!”

https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1768030 ... CyvTOhrf1Q
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Agree, but he was going to play lacrosse freshman year (2020), but hurt his knee. He played hockey 2019-20, hockey cancelled 2020-21, and came to lax team about 1/3 way through 2022 season. For what it's worth.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:10 pm Good win for the Orange, they've come a long way since Gait's first year. But if I'm a Cuse fan I'm worried less about arguing the merits of a faceoff guy in the Hopkins FanLax thread and more about a defense that allowed Hopkins' most efficient day on offense in years. That's not an exaggeration. The Jays scored on half of their possessions. I don't even feel like they played all that well either — bad EMO, Angelus mostly limited, Melendez banged up — didn't feel like their best day, and yet the stats don't lie. Celebrate now but this does not have a happy ending in CNY if that doesn't get fixed.

Don't forget Hops goalie was on fire making ridiculous saves or that game wouldn't have been a 1 goal game. SU was giving Degnon way to much space to shoot. They been struggling with that 3rd pole so I think Olexo will be moving to close very soon which will be a big upgrade. Ierlen made some incredible saves too keep the game close u can't forget that too.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DoubleD wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 pm

Don't forget Hops goalie was on fire making ridiculous saves or that game wouldn't have been a 1 goal game. SU was giving Degnon way to much space to shoot. They been struggling with that 3rd pole so I think Olexo will be moving to close very soon which will be a big upgrade. Ierlen made some incredible saves too keep the game close u can't forget that too.
Ierlan saved 52% that game, below his season average of 55% (technically lowered due to the syracuse game) despite facing more shots due to lack of possessions and lower than UVa. He was not infact "on fire" despite some close saves. No, infact he could and might very well do better the next time around. I'll be sure to ping you all after the UVa, Notre Dame, and Duke games.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

It's funny we don't see any Hopkins posters crowing on UVa, Georgetown, or UNC's forums after a win. Goes to show the state of the programs and perhaps what alums care about beyond lax.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 pm It's funny we don't see any Hopkins posters crowing on UVa, Georgetown, or UNC's forums after a win. Goes to show the state of the programs and perhaps what alums care about beyond lax.
Who exactly is crowing? One guy is making case that Mullen is an upper level FOGO and another guy is giving Ierlan credit for the game being so close which is absolutely accurate as the guy made 4 or 5 ridiculous saves in the 2nd half.

Your reading way more into then there is. Also Fanlax has a fraction of the SU fanbase ditto UVA, most fans of both schools are on their man boards (The Sabre and Syracusefan) which are way more active then any thread here and where you'd want to actually post as an opponent.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 am
norcalhop wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 pm It's funny we don't see any Hopkins posters crowing on UVa, Georgetown, or UNC's forums after a win. Goes to show the state of the programs and perhaps what alums care about beyond lax.
Who exactly is crowing? One guy is making case that Mullen is an upper level FOGO and another guy is giving Ierlan credit for the game being so close which is absolutely accurate as the guy made 4 or 5 ridiculous saves in the 2nd half.

Your reading way more into then there is. Also Fanlax has a fraction of the SU fanbase ditto UVA, most fans of both schools are on their man boards (The Sabre and Syracusefan) which are way more active then any thread here and where you'd want to actually post as an opponent.
How many Hopkins posters go to these other forums or other school's threads and hype up our own players after a win? I've moved on to Navy. I suggest you all do the same.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Good idea to move on, you got in over your head in the last discussion not knowing w*t*f you were talking about while trying to downplay Mullen's performance. Nobody came on here crowing about anything, I simply came on and pointed out that Callahan has faced more than two legit (in your opinion) FOGOs, nothing more than that. You then had to tell us all that 4 of 6 is nothing to crow about having no idea what Mullen has done for the year. Hint, he's taken more than the 6 face offs you've seen him take and proven to be "legit".
On to Navy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”