Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by nyjay »

coda wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:14 pm Fogo is the weakness on both Hop and PSU
It clearly was on Saturday. Am I crazy to think that between Callahan and Dunn, Hop should be able to find a way to get to at least 40-45% in most games? I don't expect them to dominate many games, but I also don't see 30% as being a regular occurrence either. Am I overrating them?

Wing play was not great on Saturday either (Kilrain's one time GB to transition assist notwithstanding). Didn't notice McDermott much - and he'd been pretty good this year.
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:26 pm
It clearly was on Saturday. Am I crazy to think that between Callahan and Dunn, Hop should be able to find a way to get to at least 40-45% in most games? I don't expect them to dominate many games, but I also don't see 30% as being a regular occurrence either. Am I overrating them?

Wing play was not great on Saturday either (Kilrain's one time GB to transition assist notwithstanding). Didn't notice McDermott much - and he'd been pretty good this year.
Agree. I mentioned Maryland and Michigan, because they have top 10 fogos. That said FOGO is probably the hardest thing to predict in lacrosse. its the ultimate style makes fights thing in lacrosse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

They did not matchup particularly well with Kohn, who is very strong and athletic for a faceoff guy. Callahan won some clamps but had trouble exiting while Dunn's ability to scrap it out on the ground was neutralized by Cuse's wings — namely Jake Stevens. Those two transfers have totally changed things for them. Didn't help that Callahan could never get in a rhythm because of the (questionable, IMO) violations. Coda is right, so much depends on stylistic matchups and the ref's cadence that day. But #5 and #30 have managed to go toe-to-toe or better against some pretty good FOGOs this year (Stathakis, Ball, Constantinides), so I'd be cautiously optimistic that this will mark a low-point for them on the season and they'll turn it around. Wierman still looms on the schedule, but they've done remarkably well against him the last two years. Hopefully that continues.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:40 pm

They did not matchup particularly well with Kohn, who is very strong and athletic for a faceoff guy. Callahan won some clamps but had trouble exiting while Dunn's ability to scrap it out on the ground was neutralized by Cuse's wings — namely Jake Stevens. Those two transfers have totally changed things for them. Didn't help that Callahan could never get in a rhythm because of the (questionable, IMO) violations. Coda is right, so much depends on stylistic matchups and the ref's cadence that day. But #5 and #30 have managed to go toe-to-toe or better against some pretty good FOGOs this year (Stathakis, Ball, Constantinides), so I'd be cautiously optimistic that this will mark a low-point for them on the season and they'll turn it around. Wierman still looms on the schedule, but they've done remarkably well against him the last two years. Hopefully that continues.
I guess go and poach division 3 player of the year transfers like Syracuse has done. Hopkins should reload with a goalie and faceoff person every year from the ivies.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

I think your likely right. Both Callahan and Dunn have been around 50% and haven't really been dominated outside of the game against Kohn. As long as they can keep it at 45% or above Hop should be fine in most games. Only real concern would be if they run into a Naso or Wierman or someone of that ilk who is just on that day and who just goes off ala Kohn. Wing play always looks bad when the other teams FOGO is dominating, its very rare that wing play can counter a great FOGO. Perhaps on a few draws they can force a turnover but in most cases when an elite fogo is on they are winning it clean to themselves or directing where they want it.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:53 pm Hopkins should reload with a goalie and faceoff person every year from the ivies.
Well if you can help recruit Gianfocaro - I'm all for it but that well will probably dry up to a large degree. You certainly have identified two areas of uncertainty for next year (aside from Callahan taking alot of face-offs) but there are many miles to go on the current road.
coda

Post by coda »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:25 pm

I think your likely right. Both Callahan and Dunn have been around 50% and haven't really been dominated outside of the game against Kohn. As long as they can keep it at 45% or above Hop should be fine in most games. Only real concern would be if they run into a Naso or Wierman or someone of that ilk who is just on that day and who just goes off ala Kohn. Wing play always looks bad when the other teams FOGO is dominating, its very rare that wing play can counter a great FOGO. Perhaps on a few draws they can force a turnover but in most cases when an elite fogo is on they are winning it clean to themselves or directing where they want it.
Hopkins has faced 2 legit guys in Wambach and Kohn. Both went 72% on faceoffs. (I dont put Stathakis in that group, he mostly feasts on poor faceoffs teams. He was 54% vs Hopkins). So the comment was based on elite FOGOs, which is where Maryland and Michigan come in. It something that Hopkins will not face much, but could set a ceiling on their season.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:22 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:53 pm Hopkins should reload with a goalie and faceoff person every year from the ivies.
Well if you can help recruit Gianfocaro - I'm all for it but that well will probably dry up to a large degree. You certainly have identified two areas of uncertainty for next year (aside from Callahan taking alot of face-offs) but there are many miles to go on the current road.
Next year may be the last year for Ivy Grad transfers. Canceling the 2021 season created a supply of players that enrolled in school despite not having an opportunity to play. There will always be those that transfer due to what would be effectively an injury redshirt but that’s choppy. Gianfocaro is probably the top transfer prospect in the class.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Jays 17 ,
Squids 7.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

coda wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:42 am Hopkins has faced 2 legit guys in Wambach and Kohn. Both went 72% on faceoffs. (I dont put Stathakis in that group, he mostly feasts on poor faceoffs teams. He was 54% vs Hopkins). So the comment was based on elite FOGOs, which is where Maryland and Michigan come in. It something that Hopkins will not face much, but could set a ceiling on their season.
I get it. My thinking is that because we have two guys who are roughly comparable (average to slightly above average as D1 fogos?) with differently skills/styles, the mix-and-match could probably avoid the true wipeout days. But yeah, it didn't quite work out that way against UNC or SU. Michigan would be the big concern for me. Does feel we've been able to keep things relatively even against Weirman the past couple of years (even if I didn't go back and look at the box scores to confirm).
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:25 pm
coda wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:42 am Hopkins has faced 2 legit guys in Wambach and Kohn. Both went 72% on faceoffs. (I dont put Stathakis in that group, he mostly feasts on poor faceoffs teams. He was 54% vs Hopkins). So the comment was based on elite FOGOs, which is where Maryland and Michigan come in. It something that Hopkins will not face much, but could set a ceiling on their season.
I get it. My thinking is that because we have two guys who are roughly comparable (average to slightly above average as D1 fogos?) with differently skills/styles, the mix-and-match could probably avoid the true wipeout days. But yeah, it didn't quite work out that way against UNC or SU. Michigan would be the big concern for me. Does feel we've been able to keep things relatively even against Weirman the past couple of years (even if I didn't go back and look at the box scores to confirm).
Definitely could happen. The wings are a big part of that and typically overlooked. You dont have to win the clamp to win the ball. ND has proven that. You have the clamp, the GB, and the clear. Just need to win the GB or clear to gain possession.
DMac

Post by DMac »

coda wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:42 am

Hopkins has faced 2 legit guys in Wambach and Kohn. Both went 72% on faceoffs. (I dont put Stathakis in that group, he mostly feasts on poor faceoffs teams. He was 54% vs Hopkins). So the comment was based on elite FOGOs, which is where Maryland and Michigan come in. It something that Hopkins will not face much, but could set a ceiling on their season.
Actually, 3....Cuse's Mullen (absolutely legit freshman) went nearly 70% v Hop too.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:40 pm

Actually, 3....Cuse's Mullen (absolutely legit freshman) went nearly 70% v Hop too.
4 out of 6 is not something to crow about
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:31 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:22 am
Next year may be the last year for Ivy Grad transfers. Canceling the 2021 season created a supply of players that enrolled in school despite not having an opportunity to play. There will always be those that transfer due to what would be effectively an injury redshirt but that’s choppy. Gianfocaro is probably the top transfer prospect in the class.
There's always division 3. Plenty of top academic schools that could work too incase transfer admissions is difficult.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for Navy game? I say Hop by at least three.
DMac

Post by DMac »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:28 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:40 pm

4 out of 6 is not something to crow about
He's 43 of 66, 65%, for the year.
Would you be crowing about that if he were a Hop FOGO?
coda said legit FOGOs...he's legit.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Mullen is gonna be an absolute monster in the future for SU. He's a little bigger version of Kohn. He could do a solid job as the head guy this yr if he had to but fortunately for SU they have Kohn. That tandem is legit and will be big when they start ACC play.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Crazy thing about Kohn is that he didn’t even play lax at Tufts until his junior year. He went there for hockey and played that all three years (one cancelled for COVID), captain senior year. Came out for lax as a junior.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 am Crazy thing about Kohn is that he didn’t even play lax at Tufts until his junior year. He went there for hockey and played that all three years (one cancelled for COVID), captain senior year. Came out for lax as a junior.
He also played his first college fall ball at Cuse. He was prepping in the fall for Hockey at Tufts. Pretty awesome story.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Indeed. No real fall ball anyway in NESCACs. Just captains practices. This is the first year coaches have been able to be with team even for a few days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”