NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
The12lov3

Re: NESCAC

Post by The12lov3 »

[/quote]

Can’t speak to the full impact of Simpson’s loss, but against Babson, Midd scored 2 goals in the final three quarters. Hard to lay that at the feet of the defense. Hat’s off to Babson’s goalie, and to their D (including their Holy Cross transfer), they played a helluva game.
[/quote]

Amen - give credit to where credit is due.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:59 pm Down goes Midd again. Definitely not the season they were hoping for in Pantherland
Just logged on after a busy weekend of lacrosse. Let me just say this about that, it’s the first weekend of the season, Middleberry is a very, very good talented team, a little too early to hit the panic button… And I am a Tufts fan!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I don’t doubt the talent. The problem from the games I have seen is that they are running an offense that looks like something from 3rd grade where you have one fast kid who can cradle and he just tries to run alley dodges from the top of the box with everyone else clearing out. And that is sometimes while being poled! They need a serious adjustment in ball movement, cutting, pacing, initiating sometimes from X, etc.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:05 am I don’t doubt the talent. The problem from the games I have seen is that they are running an offense that looks like something from 3rd grade where you have one fast kid who can cradle and he just tries to run alley dodges from the top of the box with everyone else clearing out. And that is sometimes while being poled! They need a serious adjustment in ball movement, cutting, pacing, initiating sometimes from X, etc.
Now that’s an interesting observation. If that’s the case that’s a very easy team to game plan for. Totally agree with you re ball movement, cutting, etc., that’s where coaching makes a huge difference IMHO!
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Wesleyan is dismantling a decent Stockton team. They look good.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ChopMan23 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm Wesleyan is dismantling a decent Stockton team. They look good.
Someone is going to slow the Cardinals O down this year but it sure isn't this team.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:45 pm
ChopMan23 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm Wesleyan is dismantling a decent Stockton team. They look good.
Someone is going to slow the Cardinals O down this year but it sure isn't this team.
Was giving credit to Wesleyan, they looked poised, fast, and dominant today. Stockton is very good at trapping teams and keeping it close until the end of the game.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:19 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:45 pm
Was giving credit to Wesleyan, they looked poised, fast, and dominant today. Stockton is very good at trapping teams and keeping it close until the end of the game.
Saw the earlier comments and streamed some of the game, that was a fast paced and methodical game by Wesleyan, curious to see how they do against the top tier of the NESCAC, they may surprise a few people this season.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

[/quote]

Saw the earlier comments and streamed some of the game, that was a fast paced and methodical game by Wesleyan, curious to see how they do against the top tier of the NESCAC, they may surprise a few people this season.
[/quote]

Do they still play a zone defense?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:12 pm .
[/quote]

Do they still play a zone defense?
[/quote]

Only caught the 2nd quarter when game was pretty set and I did not see them in a zone
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

The reason I ask about zone is that Wes has been historically a defensive team which has been the key to their success over the years. Get a great goalie like Otto B who can consistently stop the 20 yard shot, play zone, and let my keeper get 15 - 20 saves a game so that we can win 12 - 10, As long as I can remember, Wes have never been a run and gun offensive but they have been great at slowing down the game and making teams really work for their goals. I am curious if this is Raba way of mixing things because the NESCAC has figured out the way to crack the defensive code. Not saying that Wes has not had great talent on the offensive side of the ball because they have but their game plan has always been to slow things down and let teams work for the open man in the zone. If they have changed that philosophy, it would shake things up across the league and make them a very scary team to face given how teams view them from a historical perspective.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:27 pm The reason I ask about zone is that Wes has been historically a defensive team which has been the key to their success over the years. Get a great goalie like Otto B who can consistently stop the 20 yard shot, play zone, and let my keeper get 15 - 20 saves a game so that we can win 12 - 10, As long as I can remember, Wes have never been a run and gun offensive but they have been great at slowing down the game and making teams really work for their goals. I am curious if this is Raba way of mixing things because the NESCAC has figured out the way to crack the defensive code. Not saying that Wes has not had great talent on the offensive side of the ball because they have but their game plan has always been to slow things down and let teams work for the open man in the zone. If they have changed that philosophy, it would shake things up across the league and make them a very scary team to face given how teams view them from a historical perspective.
Wes did not play zone as a primary defense in 2023/2022 that I can recall. The game v Tufts at the birdcage (23) was a beat down and I was surprised Wes did not go to zone, esp. since it won them a natty in 18.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I was at the Roanoke vs Wes game and I did not see them playing zone. Wesleyan is a talented team with very good shooters. Roanoke put up 16 goals but had to work hard to get them. The Wesleyan defense has good size and is long so they don't need to press out too much but can still get in your hands. Roanoke hurt them in transition with quick strikes (which is their game) but 6 on 6 it was in Wesleyans favor.
Two more observations from that game - I really liked Wesleyans LSM, I think #40. Big kid with a good motor and relentless in pursuit of the ball.
Face off and Goalie play may be the weak links for Wesleyan
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

I don’t think Wesleyan has played zone over last couple of years. Fascinating analysis of Wesleyan's face-off performance and goalie play. The box score looks like they dominated , winning over 60% of face-offs, and the goalie making 14 saves. Their overall performance over has been quite impressive. I watched the Stockton game yesterday and they looked really tough to beat. Lots of fire power and some big tough defenders. I am excited to watch them play against Williams. The Williams goalie is shaky right now so Wesleyan might have a day with their shooters.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I hear you about the face off win % but I think their wings had a lot to do with that. The goalie made 14 saves but was still below 50%.
One more point, I have seen Roanoke play Dickinson and Wesleyan. I think that Wesleyan is a better team but Dickinson has a better face off guy and better goalie. In my opinion if Wesleyan beats Williams they shoot up to one of the top teams.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 pm
The12lov3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:27 pm The reason I ask about zone is that Wes has been historically a defensive team which has been the key to their success over the years. Get a great goalie like Otto B who can consistently stop the 20 yard shot, play zone, and let my keeper get 15 - 20 saves a game so that we can win 12 - 10, As long as I can remember, Wes have never been a run and gun offensive but they have been great at slowing down the game and making teams really work for their goals. I am curious if this is Raba way of mixing things because the NESCAC has figured out the way to crack the defensive code. Not saying that Wes has not had great talent on the offensive side of the ball because they have but their game plan has always been to slow things down and let teams work for the open man in the zone. If they have changed that philosophy, it would shake things up across the league and make them a very scary team to face given how teams view them from a historical perspective.
Wes did not play zone as a primary defense in 2023/2022 that I can recall. The game v Tufts at the birdcage (23) was a beat down and I was surprised Wes did not go to zone, esp. since it won them a natty in 18.
From what I saw yesterday, they certainly were not slowing the game down, clears were efficient, quick pass to a short stick near midfield, and the ball moved quickly on offense. They were also feeding the ball well, very unselfish lacrosse.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Looking at the Amherst vs Swat game today I wonder if the Mammoths give up more than 15 goals.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:18 pm Looking at the Amherst vs Swat game today I wonder if the Mammoths give up more than 15 goals.
Yes. 19 is a menace.
I would say it's a Pick'em, slight advantage to Amherst playing at home.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Thought Amherst was a little fortunate to only give up two in the first quarter - - lots of extended possessions and good looks for Swat that weren't converted. Definite advantages to the Mammoth at X, in goal, and transition offense. They are sliding very early and aggressively, and Swat started to pick it apart in the second.

Weird sequence at the end of the second where the Amherst goalie dislodged the goal during a slow break, play continued, and Swat scored with 1 second on the clock and the goal at a 30 degree angle. Surprised it wasn't blown dead (though would have advantaged the D to get set) but ultimately the shot came from the side that was tilted away anyway.

9-7 visitors at the half.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Amherst comes out of half on fire, up 11-9

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”