Re: Games Today

Post by Dasher »

Laxfan212 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:09 am
eastcoastlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:12 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm
eastcoastlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:15 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:33 pm
eastcoastlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:51 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:40 pm As I have said previously, UVA is for real ... and outside of 4 seniors/grad students, the line-up is all freshman and sophomores.

I find myself pulling for the Hoos. I watched my daughter and her teammates struggle for 3 years under poor coaching and poor leadership. I know firsthand what an impact a new coach can make, on the field and, maybe more importantly, off. Good luck, Cavs.
I hope the Hoos make a run this year as well but if they dont figure out the draw they will lose early in the tournament. Also no need to exaggerate how young the team is. Their two best defenders (both are 3-4 year starters) , their two starting middies are a 5th year and a senior ( they play two middies at a time and 1 is a 5 year starter and the other a 4 year starter ) , their 2 best attackers are a 5th year and a senior, both of which have started for 5 years and 4 years add in a junior who never comes off the field, Their top 3 point scorers , top 2 goal scorers , are all seniors , Yes there are several freshman and sophmores contributing but lets not pretend " outside of 4 seniors " , They are actually a fairly experienced team. As far as the coaches doing such a great job scouting ND this year etc lets just remember UVA beat ND last year.
I guess I see this differently. 8 of the 15 players on the field in South Bend for the Hoos yesterday were freshmen or sophomores. UVA lost their leading scorer from 2023 + a DS who holds the program record for DCs and they managed to beat a ND team that returned their complete starting line up from last season on the road. A freshman A-middie put in 3 goals on 3 shots. A sophomore goalie in her first year as a starter made 9 saves. A sophomore defender led the team in GBs. And they have a first-year coach who seems to have re-energized the experienced players. Looking forward to seeing how this story ends.
You don't see it differently you just make up stats to fit your narrative. UVA has historically put on the field what you would call a young team especially in the covid era as it is difficult to transfer in as an undergrad and they don't raid the transfer portal which is a reason that I hope they do well. "... and outside of 4 seniors/grad students, the line-up is all freshman and sophomores. " is just flat out uninformed. Your selection of stats from yesterdays game is misleading at best , how about a grad student led the team in GB's , a senior went 4 for 4 in shooting , a sennior led the team in points ,assists, goals . The made up narrative that UVA has some sort of youth movement is simply not true when you compare the team to previous years . Again they need to figure out the draw or the year will unfortunately end like the past several years.
On a different note where would BC be without the UVA transfer and at this point in the season RC has to be up there for Tewaaraton award . I hope they take into consideration a true middie this year not some fake middie with inflated numbers and give serious consideration to several goalies and defenders . Also hopefully they don't do what they always do and hand awards to players who have had down years but base them on previous years performances.
Again, we clearly have different perspectives.

Anyhoo (see what I did there?)...here is yesterday's box score for those watching at home: https://virginiasports.com/boxscore/vir ... re-dame-8/ Interpret as you wish.

And I do recall several transfers to UVA over the last several seasons ... one from Davidson? one from High Point? Both were pretty high-profile players. Currently two transfers on roster, if I am not mistaken, one from MD and one from ECU, right?

Cheers!
Again its obvious you did not watch them play and are going by the box score only.You do realize that kids get in the game but not in the box score if you watched the game you would have seen # 10 among others who were in the game but not the box score.I assume you also must believe UVA started 12 players as the box score indicates. I did not say impossible to transfer in I said difficult as in they do not take many transfer credits which makes it difficult. Keep making up stats and I will keep correcting your fake news. Another actual fact for you is that many if not most games 2 years ago 9-10 freshman/sophmores started every game which is a considerably younger team than this one. "outside of 4 seniors/grad students is just nonsense.
As an aside, I’ve noticed that the box scores have been wrong in many school’s games. People not on the box score that went into the game. Kids who are injured and not playing this season being on the box score. Defensive stats completely off. What’s up with that? I figured college stats would be better than HS but they seem significantly worse. Is this common or have I just stumbled across multiple bad statisticians?
YOU ARE 100% CORRECT. STAT KEEPING IS A HOT MESS IN WOMENS LAX
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:48 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:40 pm If the wind on the island is anything like upstate, defense going to have a big advantage.
Agreed; the winner is going to have something like 7 or 8 goals here.
Good call!
njbill

Post by njbill »

My impression is that stats are only roughly accurate. A couple of comments, though, in defense of the stat keepers. First of all, keeping stats live as the game is going on is difficult. Some are easy (e.g., goals.), but many are not, especially during a game that is moving at lightning speed. In many games I attend, I keep a limited number of stats (often only goals, draw controls, and cards). Even then, I make mistakes. I can’t imagine trying to keep all of the categories of stats that are in the box scores in real time.

Don’t know how many people keep the stats that end up in the box scores. Maybe other posters do. One person doing everything? One person per team? More than that? Somehow at the end of the game and before the box scores are put up, it seems that some tweaking is done to make sure the stats are the same in each team’s box score. Maybe that’s because only one person keeps the stats (?).

Unlike, say, NFL stats, I don’t think wlax stats are “audited” after the game. Nobody reviews the game film and employs slo mo/rewind/stop action to try to improve the quality of the stats or correct mistakes. In the NFL, on the other hand, either the NFL or outside entities review game film after the fact to clean up the stats. That is why, for example, later in the week, you may see that player A had a sack taken away from him and given to player B.

It certainly can be frustrating at times when mistakes are noticed. Just not sure that the problem is solvable short of employing an NFL-type review process after the game. Maybe parents should be assigned the task of keeping the stats for their DD. At the end of the game, all of those stats could be combined and put into the box score. ;)
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:14 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:40 pm If the wind on the island is anything like upstate, defense going to have a big advantage.
Good call!
Wasn't a hard call, that's for sure!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:37 pm
Good call!
Maybe Seacoaster should open his own book. Give Spidey a little competition. 😉
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Penn State should blow out Lehigh today. Therefore Spidey put me down a nickel on Lehigh. Give
Me what you think is fair. Oops. Wrong thread.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

PSU should be killing Lehigh. Lehigh 12 turnovers with 2 mins left im the half. They can barely clear. Still think this will be a 8 -10 goal game. Another turnover. 5-3 PSU. Thu can’t win the draw though.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:03 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:37 pm
Good call!
Maybe Seacoaster should open his own book. Give Spidey a little competition. 😉
NFW.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Funny, just about everyone who posts here kills Halfpenny, Kimel, Missy, myself included. But I’m watching this game against Lehigh which isn’t a terrible team, but they have to have about 20 turnovers already. It seems like the same kids as well. PSU d is locking down the offense. No adjustments made. I mean. Maybe there just aren’t that many outstanding coaches in womens lax and maybe they deserve a break. Idk. 6-4 6 left in the 3rd. Sure, much closer tha. It should be. Idk what the hell is wrong with Penn State. They should be much better.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:21 pm Funny, just about everyone who posts here kills Halfpenny, Kimel, Missy, myself included. But I’m watching this game against Lehigh which isn’t a terrible team, but they have to have about 20 turnovers already. It seems like the same kids as well. PSU d is locking down the offense. No adjustments made. I mean. Maybe there just aren’t that many outstanding coaches in womens lax and maybe they deserve a break. Idk. 6-4 6 left in the 3rd. Sure, much closer tha. It should be. Idk what the hell is wrong with Penn State. They should be much better.
A certain suit wearing coach is known to have said it's not even that hard to coach D1 wlax because most the coaches don't know what they're doing. He's got like 5 other jobs and has his own kids to work with and still outcoaches just about everyone.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:14 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:03 pm Maybe Seacoaster should open his own book. Give Spidey a little competition. 😉
NFW.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:21 pm Funny, just about everyone who posts here kills Halfpenny, Kimel, Missy, myself included. But I’m watching this game against Lehigh which isn’t a terrible team, but they have to have about 20 turnovers already. It seems like the same kids as well. PSU d is locking down the offense. No adjustments made. I mean. Maybe there just aren’t that many outstanding coaches in womens lax and maybe they deserve a break. Idk. 6-4 6 left in the 3rd. Sure, much closer tha. It should be. Idk what the hell is wrong with Penn State. They should be much better.
Lehigh seems to turn the ball over about 25 times a game.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:23 pm
A certain suit wearing coach is known to have said it's not even that hard to coach D1 wlax because most the coaches don't know what they're doing. He's got like 5 other jobs and has his own kids to work with and still outcoaches just about everyone.
I think he may be right. But how is this game 6-5. She needs to be fired after this year. Or let her retire.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Penn State Defense is playing awesome. 5 shot clock turnovers against Lehigh.
There’s a freshman defender on Lehigh who has 3 turnovers and two penalties that led to two free position goals. I wonder if Joe would tell her “Hey, have a seat for a few minutes.” 😆
Hello

Post by Hello »

Several of the Ivy league coaches seem to know what they are doing. Will see if the upwards trajectories continue.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

8-7 against a team that has 21 turnovers and 5 shot clock violations. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Make that 22
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:44 pm Penn State Defense is playing awesome. 5 shot clock turnovers against Lehigh.
There’s a freshman defender on Lehigh who has 3 turnovers and two penalties that led to two free position goals. I wonder if Joe would tell her “Hey, have a seat for a few minutes.” 😆
The starting attack alone had 14 TOs. And I don't think a single sub was made down there.....12 TOs by 2 5th years and a senior
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:22 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:44 pm Penn State Defense is playing awesome. 5 shot clock turnovers against Lehigh.
The starting attack alone had 14 TOs. And I don't think a single sub was made down there.....12 TOs by 2 5th years and a senior
I agree 100%. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more. The box score was missing some. Looked at the yearly stats unfortunately those three girls are literally the only ones who score. But the rookie needed to settle down. She just runs up the entire field, doesn’t move the ball and the. Runs into a triple team. Goalie looked pretty special up until the turnover with two minutes left down 1.

Anyway. You can’t be happy with this game after beating Rutgers. 8-7 with two minutes and Lehigh with the ball is not what I was looking for. I get a win is a win. But nothing leads me to think that Penn State is getting better. Shout out to Ally Lipkin. She is becoming a reliable player off the bench. Her sister got all the hype when she went to Maryland but it seems like Ally is starting to get involved.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I didn’t watch a second of the UConn game but looks like they’re in the same pit as Penn State. 2 goal win against Hofstra. 🤔
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Georgetown is up 9-3 on Penn. Didn’t see that one coming.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”