Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by Finster »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:27 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:13 pm Ref must've been biased too then, eh?

Good luck the rest of the way, I think Hop is a
pretty darn good team this year. Both Hop and
Cuse showing more promise this year than in recent
years. Good to see.
Good luck against UVa, Duke, and Notre Dame.

Syracuse lost by 1 to Army and Maryland. I doubt they’re going into the ACC schedule trembling.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The transfers of Kohn and Stevens have completely changed Cuse's fortunes. They should keep them in pretty much every game and take the pressure off what is still a middling defense, which is exactly what happened last night. I'd be very surprised if they aren't able to knock off at least one of UVA, ND, or Duke. Clearly, none of those three are unbeatable. It is wide open this year.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:34 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:27 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:13 pm Ref must've been biased too then, eh?

Good luck the rest of the way, I think Hop is a
pretty darn good team this year. Both Hop and
Cuse showing more promise this year than in recent
years. Good to see.
Good luck against UVa, Duke, and Notre Dame.

Syracuse lost by 1 to Army and Maryland. I doubt they’re going into the ACC schedule trembling.
It will be tougher than you think. Notre Dame took it to maryland
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

I'm late to the party - I've been out on the campaign trail - but I wanted to congratulate the Jays on their victory over the Cavs... It really made my day, LOL. In all seriousness, you all played excellently and look so much bigger than in years past. And despite the Cuse score, I could easily see Hop winning the whole thing. It would be great to see them challenging for the title again.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:41 pm The transfers of Kohn and Stevens have completely changed Cuse's fortunes. They should keep them in pretty much every game and take the pressure off what is still a middling defense, which is exactly what happened last night. I'd be very surprised if they aren't able to knock off at least one of UVA, ND, or Duke. Clearly, none of those three are unbeatable. It is wide open this year.
That was the worst game Hopkins has played all year and they still struggled to beat the jays. We're past the halfway point. Melendez, the wings, and man up need serious demonstrable changes before friday against navy.

Also not using replay in a game this big is ridiculous. the programs invested in having it available. do it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:21 pm

That was the worst game Hopkins has played all year and they still struggled to beat the jays.
That says less about them and more about us.
molo

Post by molo »

How far does Denver’s loss hurt Hopkins in the polls? I would surmise that a couple of ACC teams with one loss will be behind Army West Point.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:24 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:21 pm

That was the worst game Hopkins has played all year and they still struggled to beat the jays.
That says less about them and more about us.
Yes, I laughed at those predicting this to be a 5 goal win over cuse. I knew the game would be competitive. Hopkins isn't as good as some people on here think - yet. And cuse isn't either.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

molo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:29 pm How far does Denver’s loss hurt Hopkins in the polls? I would surmise that a couple of ACC teams with one loss will be behind Army West Point.
I would say a drop to 6-8 would be fair.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Annoying loss. If these two teams play 10 times, I believe Hop wins 6 or more. Last night was the first time in a while where neither Callahan or Dunn could get anything going at the dot. Usually, one of them can at least get to 50%. And that is where the game was lost. If we play SU again, I don't think we lose 70% of the draws.

Going forward, here's what I think:

(1) Hop is the favorite in the B1G. Yes, I think we're better than Maryland. I think we're better than PSU too, but they're hard to figure out at this point. We really should beat OSU, Rutgers and Michigan.
(2) We should be a lock for the tournament (absent an epic collapse).
(3) We get a home game in the first round, though we could be anywhere from 1-8 in terms of seeding (probably in the 3-6 range).
(4) We should win a first round game and be at least close to even money in the quarters.
(5) As opposed to the last few years, I don't see a tier of teams that are just clearly better than everyone else. Any of Duke, UVa, ND, Hop, MD could win it all. As could SU, Denver, Army and PSU. Much like PSU, I'm not sure what to make of the Ivies, but don't think any of them are real title contenders, but who knows. I kinda think Princeton might be the most dangerous of the bunch given how young they are, but Yale, Cornell and maybe Harvard could put it together too.

Better place than we've been in a while at this point in the season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'd be satisfied with finishing the non-con schedule at 6-2 with wins over UVA, UNC, and Georgetown and no bad losses (and the two losses by a combined two goals). #3 in RPI right now though Rutgers and Michigan losing to Ivy teams today is a blow to the conference.

Got to take care of Navy first. They always seem to play us much tougher than the analytics would suggest. Not a sure thing. Jays need to head into the Big Ten schedule playing well.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:54 pm Annoying loss. If these two teams play 10 times, I believe Hop wins 6 or more. Last night was the first time in a while where neither Callahan or Dunn could get anything going at the dot. Usually, one of them can at least get to 50%. And that is where the game was lost. If we play SU again, I don't think we lose 70% of the draws.

(1) Hop is the favorite in the B1G. Yes, I think we're better than Maryland. I think we're better than PSU too, but they're hard to figure out at this point. We really should beat OSU, Rutgers and Michigan.
(3) We get a home game in the first round, though we could be anywhere from 1-8 in terms of seeding (probably in the 3-6 range).
(4) We should win a first round game and be at least close to even money in the quarters.
(5) As opposed to the last few years, I don't see a tier of teams that are just clearly better than everyone else. Any of Duke, UVa, ND, Hop, MD could win it all. As could SU, Denver, Army and PSU. Much like PSU, I'm not sure what to make of the Ivies, but don't think any of them are real title contenders, but who knows. I kinda think Princeton might be the most dangerous of the bunch given how young they are, but Yale, Cornell and maybe Harvard could put it together too.

PSU might be a tougher challenge than UMD. Not clear to me Hopkins is better. I do think Duke is the team to beat. They had an outlier of a game against Penn with absolutely horrid weather and field conditions.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am not 100% sold on Duke - Bellarmine/Jacksonville/Saint Joseph's /High Point/this version of Loyola and Princeton is not the 1927 Yankees. I think they COULD -not saying yes - have a midfield scoring problem - Zawanda gives them the luxury of putting McAdorey at middie which helps - if that couldn't happen I would have very serious doubts.

Assuming we focus and can handle Navy at home - we could be facing a 5-3 Rutgers team (have to go to Amherst to play UMASS) with THEIR season on the line. Big games. Certainly not a great day for the Hop with Denver/Michigan and Rutgers all taking L's.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

If navy isn't a slam dunk win by 3+ goals given how Navy fared against Towson, this team doesn't deserve a seed in the tourney. I expect a Duke style response by Hopkins after a loss similar to the Princeton game after Penn for Duke. Anything less is a disappointment - no disrespect to Navy. Some people think Hopkins is back, so prove it consistently.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Quint taking unnecessary shots at the Jays social media is classic QK and goes to show why 99.9% of alumni, friends and supporters of the program hate him.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Not true
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Closer to 100%...
I've wondered for years why he hates Hopkins.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, Hop eats their own.
Gotta love it.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AyN-C_1Sc78
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:51 am Yup, Hop eats their own.
Gotta love it.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AyN-C_1Sc78
Jordan Evans couldn't be reached for comment

Quint's observation about the social media presence was pretty innocuous. Mark Dixon said the same thing on his podcast last week. There's a feeling among some of the "old guard" that the team was counting their chickens before they hatched with a lot of Instagram bravado after the Virginia win. On one hand, maybe they were. On the other hand, it was a gigantic win and they should be allowed to celebrate — and it's not that big of a deal.

Navy's got a good freshman FOGO. Callahan, Dunn, and the wings need a rebound game to get their mojo back before we head into B1G play. I want to see #6 on the wings a lot more. That play he made against Cuse was electric.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:14 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:54 pm Annoying loss. If these two teams play 10 times, I believe Hop wins 6 or more. Last night was the first time in a while where neither Callahan or Dunn could get anything going at the dot. Usually, one of them can at least get to 50%. And that is where the game was lost. If we play SU again, I don't think we lose 70% of the draws.

PSU might be a tougher challenge than UMD. Not clear to me Hopkins is better. I do think Duke is the team to beat. They had an outlier of a game against Penn with absolutely horrid weather and field conditions.
I think Hopkins and PSU are the 2 best in the Big 10. Maryland and Michigan can give those 2 a game, depending on what happens at the X. Hopkins should win them, but you have to throw everything out the window if someone goes 65%+ at the X. Fogo is the weakness on both Hop and PSU

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”