Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:18 am I think we all need to calm down - there are at least 7 more games in the season - They lost the possession battle - by alot - and still mounted a nice comeback. You are not going to win many games if you only have the ball about 1/3rd of the time. Lets' give credit to the opponents - Syracuse has about 9-10 guys who are legit threats to light the lamp - the impact of the Princeton transfers are starting to be pretty evident. In terms of seeking improvement the following thoughts do occur:
- Echo the sentiments of possibly sitting Melendez - though maybe it's a situation where the lower leg injuries need alot of time to heal but 2/3rds of your attack with 1 shot each is not optimal - and this is not a shot at Navy - that game is not already in the W column- but we kind of need him in April and May
- The vaunted offensive mid-field depth has left the building - now down to 6 players (obviously English gone hurts here)
- I didn't like the last 16 seconds or whatever - that should be a well worn practice moment - down a goal - short time - ball in different places on the field - the goalie can't cradle for a couple seconds - throw a short pass to a short stick and we la de dah down the field and can't even get past the mid stripe. There needs to be a play - where the ball is zipped to the mid-field - OK if it's dropped or knocked down - fine - create a scramble but you can't run the ball up the field like a normal clear
- With 14 shots - Degnon took 39% of the team's total

I do have a question if somebody could enlighten me - and I am not saying it was a reason we lost or anything - but I clearly don't understand the rules. What did Callahan do on the face-off that led to Steven's man-up goal??? - there was a close-up of the face-off on replay and if anything I thought the Syracuse player had his stick on top of Callahan's - was he judged for withholding the ball? I just didn't see what you call in that situation. Pete obviously didn't like the call.

I wonder if the all blacks will make it up to New Jersey
Yeah I think Callahan was called for withholding for not getting it out of his clamp quick enough — but of course he was prevented from doing so by the Cuse FOGO keeping his stick down. They need to change that rule.

There is so much sh*t that goes on during the faceoffs that don't get called. They adjudicate really poorly and it seems to be getting worse. I am all for the proposal to get rid of clamping — force both guys to swipe at it — and create a GB battle. That's more exciting anyway and seems to take some of the refereeing out of the equation. We need more of that kind of thing.

Agree on the impact of the transfers — this game is very different if Stevens is not on Syracuse. He's a player that any team in the country would be thrilled to have. Though I think we did a good job on English's bro.
coda

Post by coda »

Good game. Pretty much decided at the X. That might be the one area that keeps Hopkins from realizing their potential. Faceoffs amounted to 13 extra possessions for Cuse. It only gets worse when you consider the clear game. Hopkins was the better team and more efficient in the 6 v 6, but got dominated in the middle of the field. Not sure they can fix the faceoff situation, but they should rebound in the clear game. Attack was very passive.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:28 am I felt that Syracuse needed this game way more than Hopkins; everything felt geared to that. And, if you looked at the sidelines during any goal, Cuse’s was far more energized than Hopkins’s was.

Here’s my read: everything that Syracuse needed to win, went their way. Hopkins played their game for the most part, but it wasn’t above that, extra special. Games like this, bring your A+ game or you’re likely to lose
Disagree a little bit - there were several shots of the Hopkins bench exploding after goals. I agree that - as you look at future needs for the NCAA tournament Syracuse needed this game but this wasn't an issue of one team being way more focused or energized than the other - it was a matter of one team had the ball way more than the other - plain and simple. If Hopkins had the ball 2/3rds of the time - probably would have been a win for the all blacks. Non face-off man ground balls - a possible barometer of effort Syracuse 20 Hopkins 21.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 am Yeah I think Callahan was called for withholding for not getting it out of his clamp quick enough — but of course he was prevented from doing so by the Cuse FOGO keeping his stick down. They need to change that rule.
This is not accurate, he had the ball clamped to the ground for too long when it was only his stick on the ball, there was no Cuse FOGO's stick keeping Callahan's stick down at that point....hence, the call which was the right, and good, call by the official.
Finster

Post by Finster »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:55 am
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:28 am I felt that Syracuse needed this game way more than Hopkins; everything felt geared to that. And, if you looked at the sidelines during any goal, Cuse’s was far more energized than Hopkins’s was.

Here’s my read: everything that Syracuse needed to win, went their way. Hopkins played their game for the most part, but it wasn’t above that, extra special. Games like this, bring your A+ game or you’re likely to lose
Disagree a little bit - there were several shots of the Hopkins bench exploding after goals. I agree that - as you look at future needs for the NCAA tournament Syracuse needed this game but this wasn't an issue of one team being way more focused or energized than the other - it was a matter of one team had the ball way more than the other - plain and simple. If Hopkins had the ball 2/3rds of the time - probably would have been a win for the all blacks. Non face-off man ground balls - a possible barometer of effort Syracuse 20 Hopkins 21.

I think for sure GB’s are a barometer of effort, and also basic ball awareness.

I’m sure if these two meet again that the FO disparity won’t be as glaring. Kohn is a great FO guy who can also score. He was hiding out at Tufts for 4 years!

I think your goalie would like the Leo BTB shot back. It bounced odd off the surface, wasn’t really a hard shot, and so the goalie tried to catch it rather than body-position it. To me, that goal wasn’t simply critical, but showed where this game was headed.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 am Yeah I think Callahan was called for withholding for not getting it out of his clamp quick enough — but of course he was prevented from doing so by the Cuse FOGO keeping his stick down. They need to change that rule.
This is not accurate, he had the ball clamped to the ground for too long when it was only his stick on the ball, there was no Cuse FOGO's stick keeping Callahan's stick down at that point....hence, the call which was the right, and good, call by the official.
Apparently the faceoff rules are perfectly clear when viewed through orange-tinted glasses.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh please, the face off rules are perfectly clear, no glasses of any color needed to see them.
Clamp and rake, pretty simple. Take your blue glasses off and look at the play.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 am
The refs don't necessarily have the benefit of camera eye but it's definitely a bit of an odd play where I cannot really fault Callahan too much. Withholding / ball stuck in the clamp too long. Maybe carrying it on the back of the stick? I guess by the letter of the law something in there maybe but...

10:18 Clamp obtained but uh the other guy is kinda on top of me

10:17 I've still got it, I guess I should try to squirt it out behind me? But he sure is still on top of me...

10:17 Ok, I've still sorta got it and he's not quite on top of me anymore. I'll just push it out forward away from me now that we've got some leverage to do so. Wait... that guys stick is totally impeding me from doing that. In fact he's trying to pry me off of the ball.

10:17 He's now a bit more off of me and I'm really trying here sir but those hands and arms are still kinda in the way and I'm sorta losing the clamp because he's prying me off of controlling it at all...

10:17 Oh hey he's finally fully off of me with the shoulder contact but that stick is still in the way and he's actually managed to flip my stick over from all the wrestling, I'm not even really clamping it anymore from all the prying.

10:16 Alright that guy finally fell down and got out of the way, the ball is sorta in my control on the back of my stick. I guess this is illegal and I need to flip it up and out the next second I can?

10:16 Let's take a beat and survey the field

10:16 Ok, lets get this ball out of here...

10:15 She's out, mission accomplished
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

10:16 Let's take a beat and survey the field
Yup, let's figure out an exit strategy while clamping the ball to the ground.
This is when the call was made and it was the right call.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Only call that refs may have got wrong in that sequence was not calling penalty on #46 with stick to the neck
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

It's a freeze frame couple tenths of a second and It doesn't look like he reclamped the ball from all of the other motions. His stick was flipped over already in the frames before this. I don't think he actually clamped it a second time but I don't think this is as clear cut as you'd like to think it is.

Either way hard fought game. Should've won more faceoff outside of this one and the outcome might've been different for the boys in black.
coda

Post by coda »

stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:16 pm Only call that refs may have got wrong in that sequence was not calling penalty on #46 with stick to the neck
That the hit on Kilrain that should have been 2 minutes unreleasable? (Hit on the DPole in transition that was as bad as you will see)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:16 pm Only call that refs may have got wrong in that sequence was not calling penalty on #46 with stick to the neck
That the hit on Kilrain that should have been 2 minutes unreleasable? (Hit on the DPole in transition that was as bad as you will see)
It was a year late, high, and excessive. Shocked it was only a minute. Far, far lesser hits have been deemed 2-minute non-releasables this year. I'm not just saying it because it happened to us, I've seen it across many games to lots of different teams. The reffing of these hits has gotten so inconsistent and it's exacerbated by the new emphasis on locking penalties in.
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm It's a freeze frame couple tenths of a second and It doesn't look like he reclamped the ball from all of the other motions. His stick was flipped over already in the frames before this. I don't think he actually clamped it a second time but I don't think this is as clear cut as you'd like to think it is.

Either way hard fought game. Should've won more faceoff outside of this one and the outcome might've been different for the boys in black.
Yep. By the letter of the law maybe it's "withholding." But like I said, if that's the case, the rule stinks. You're asking for the faceoff guys to clamp the ball and then you're gonna penalize him for...clamping the ball? For what, an extra half second? Seems dumb.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm It's a freeze frame couple tenths of a second and It doesn't look like he reclamped the ball from all of the other motions. His stick was flipped over already in the frames before this. I don't think he actually clamped it a second time but I don't think this is as clear cut as you'd like to think it is.

Yup, was a good game.
In real time I said he was clamping the ball before the ref blew the whistle and made the call. Was obvious to me and apparently the ref too. I don't recall a second clamping of the ball, he had the advantage from the beginning and once he had complete control (had some space) he needed to rake and he didn't.
On to the next one.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:29 pm
It was a year late, high, and excessive. Shocked it was only a minute. Far, far lesser hits have been deemed 2-minute non-releasables this year. I'm not just saying it because it happened to us, I've seen it across many games to lots of different teams. The reffing of these hits has gotten so inconsistent and it's exacerbated by the new emphasis on locking penalties in.

Yep. By the letter of the law maybe it's "withholding." But like I said, if that's the case, the rule stinks. You're asking for the faceoff guys to clamp the ball and then you're gonna penalize him for...clamping the ball? For what, an extra half second? Seems dumb.
You need to throw an IMO in there, 16.
You're wrong, the rule does not stink and it's a rule that's been in effect since forever.
No clamping and withholding anywhere anytime (GKs given leeway on this). The rule
is clamp AND RAKE. You clamp and hold the ball there while considering an exit strategy
without raking and it's withholding the ball. Refs starting calling this as they always should
have to eliminate the fustercluck of a faceoff we had in the game when they were letting
them clamp and crab dance. Was the right call.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:29 pm

You need to throw an IMO in there, 16.
You're wrong, the rule does not stink and it's a rule that's been in effect since forever.
No clamping and withholding anywhere anytime (GKs given leeway on this). The rule
is clamp AND RAKE. You clamp and hold the ball there while considering an exit strategy
without raking and it's withholding the ball. Refs starting calling this as they always should
have to eliminate the fustercluck of a faceoff we had in the game when they were letting
them clamp and crab dance. Was the right call.
Rule stinks if the other guy is allowed to prevent his opponent from de-clamping. Stinky and poorly adjudicated
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nobody was preventing him from de-clamping when the call was made.
You're seeing what you want to see.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:51 pm Nobody was preventing him from de-clamping when the call was made.
You're seeing what you want to see.
Yes I am the only biased party in this discussion
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ref must've been biased too then, eh?

Good luck the rest of the way, I think Hop is a
pretty darn good team this year. Both Hop and
Cuse showing more promise this year than in recent
years. Good to see.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:13 pm Ref must've been biased too then, eh?

Good luck the rest of the way, I think Hop is a
pretty darn good team this year. Both Hop and
Cuse showing more promise this year than in recent
years. Good to see.
Good luck against UVa, Duke, and Notre Dame.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”