Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by nyjay »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:07 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm I almost never criticize the refs, but they were atrocious tonight.

Syracuse absolutely dominated on faceoffs, yet Hopkins lost by just one. That would never have been possible under Petro.

Blue Jays could have won this one with just a few more clears or just a few more faceoff wins.

Credit Syracuse for the spirited win, but I think Hopkins can win a rematch.

Did I mention the stupid schedule that kept Hopkins away from Homewood for nearly a month. Ridiculously stupid to schedule this game for Charlotte during the toughest stretch of the entire schedule. Syracuse looked like the much fresher team tonight.

DocBarrister
Expect Cuse to now make tourney and believe they would be comfortable with a rematch with Hop . Fogo matchup would have the same results and Ierlan isn't tending any better that he did tonight .

Cuse O showed in 2h that can dissect Hop d aggressiveness and that is Hop way

Closing out a good opponent gets the monkey off the back and expecting a springboard forward ,
I completely disagree with that take. Would love to get another chance. Would feel totally comfortable. I don’t think that FO performance is repeatable. But congrats on the win.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm I almost never criticize the refs, but they were atrocious tonight.

Syracuse absolutely dominated on faceoffs, yet Hopkins lost by just one. That would never have been possible under Petro.

Blue Jays could have won this one with just a few more clears or just a few more faceoff wins.

Did I mention the stupid schedule that kept Hopkins away from Homewood for nearly a month. Ridiculously stupid to schedule this game for Charlotte during the toughest stretch of the entire schedule. Syracuse looked like the much fresher team tonight.

DocBarrister
Expect Cuse to now make tourney and believe they would be comfortable with a rematch with Hop . Fogo matchup would have the same results and Ierlan isn't tending any better that he did tonight .

Closing out a good opponent gets the monkey off the back and expecting a springboard forward ,
I completely disagree with that take. Would love to get another chance. Would feel totally comfortable. I don’t think that FO performance is repeatable. But congrats on the win.
there won't be a rematch. i don't see them taking down their ACC foes except for maybe UNC. And it won't be enough for the tourney.
OldOrange

Post by OldOrange »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:15 pm

DocBarrister

I don't agree with his take either, this win is more important for Syracuse than the loss is for Hopkins. I have felt that Syracuse was a year or so behind Hopkins in the "rebuild" Hopkins is solid all over the field and I expect them to win BIG10. Good luck going forward
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

1) Faceoffs
2) Clearing
3) Man-up offense
4) Wing play (some will argue part of faceoff, I disagree)
5) Rebound control

Five areas 'Cuse undoubtedly won. Win any two of 2 through 5 and Hop wins the game.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Not sure whose idea playing this game there was but that field absolutely sucked. I don't remember in the last several years any field with that many issues. This was the last game of the day, they have all these assistant coaches now, someone should've put a hand up and said this is trash, get it fixed.

Aside from a few players they played as bad a game and still only lost to a program that's been hyped by its fans and super fans in the media to be the lacrosse Dream Team 92/1927 Yankees by a goal. At Homewood or in the Dome where the turf isn't a slip and slide this is a 4-5 goal Hopkins win. Denver in the second half was more impressive than Syracuse today, UVA was more impressive than them, I suspect Maryland and Penn State will be too. The defense had Syracuse contained in the first half despite the faceoff disadvantage and turnovers.

The early Syracuse possession advantage would've buried a lot of Hopkins teams we've seen the last 15 years. On the other hand the Benson offenses would've really taken advantage of those man ups. Degnon and Chauvette the younger can fling it-the other teams know this by now, they don't have other options and Crawley in game couldn't make adjustments to the man up. Was one of the real turning points, not being able to make Cuse pay.

Steubner taking a penalty. So far a bust.

They continue to take pages out of the Kyle Marr playbook with dumb penalties. I thought they told the world they learned after Smith cost the Denver game with his headcase stuff. Greatest medical institution in the world, grab a shrink out of one of the 2342342 institutes and centers in the greater 410 and teach the kids how to control themselves.

Faceoff wings have nowhere near as good this year.

Grimes off ball passing was very strong early. I've been hard on him but he's had a nice season.

Melendez has been a shell of his 2023 self. If he's injured give him the Navy game off and let him get ready for April. If it's ineffectiveness give him another role so he can figure it out, the way they did Grimes after they finally tired of believing he was a first line guy.
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 pm Not sure whose idea playing this game there was but that field absolutely sucked. I don't remember in the last several years any field with that many issues. This was the last game of the day, they have all these assistant coaches now, someone should've put a hand up and said this is trash, get it fixed.

Aside from a few players they played as bad a game and still only lost to a program that's been hyped by its fans and super fans in the media to be the lacrosse Dream Team 92/1927 Yankees by a goal. At Homewood or in the Dome where the turf isn't a slip and slide this is a 4-5 goal Hopkins win. Denver in the second half was more impressive than Syracuse today, UVA was more impressive than them, I suspect Maryland and Penn State will be too. The defense had Syracuse contained in the first half despite the faceoff disadvantage and turnovers.

The early Syracuse possession advantage would've buried a lot of Hopkins teams we've seen the last 15 years. On the other hand the Benson offenses would've really taken advantage of those man ups. Degnon and Chauvette the younger can fling it-the other teams know this by now, they don't have other options and Crawley in game couldn't make adjustments to the man up. Was one of the real turning points, not being able to make Cuse pay.

They continue to take pages out of the Kyle Marr playbook with dumb penalties. I thought they told the world they learned after Smith cost the Denver game with his headcase stuff. Greatest medical institution in the world, grab a shrink out of one of the 2342342 institutes and centers in the greater 410 and teach the kids how to control themselves.

Grimes off ball passing was very strong early. I've been hard on him but he's had a nice season.

Melendez has been a shell of his 2023 self. If he's injured give him the Navy game off and let him get ready for April. If it's ineffectiveness give him another role so he can figure it out, the way they did Grimes after they finally tired of believing he was a first line guy.
Statement in bold.......you're the only person I've heard that from. Wow!!

WTH happened on the play when Hop took possession on a clear at about the restraining line and couldn't get past the midfield line in twenty seconds? Didn't even really get it close.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ah baloney. dont be so dismissive and discredit a well earned win by opponent with excuses, applying same bs could lead one to say that Cuse would be on a 5 game win streak vs Jays if hop didn't get such hot goaltending in 22 and 23.

Perhaps Angelus footing was affected by field conditions, strangely passive and as Carc alluded Hop goes as he goes. Conversely ,dont understand why Cuse d gave Degnon room to receive, hopefully a lesson not to be repeated if a rematch occurs
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Why isn’t Ayers playing EMO? His first goal was electrifying. Shows he can handle in the middle and score. His second goal was a howitzer cannon from the outside. Surely, he can add more than #3.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

almost 50% clearing is an inexcusable regression especially given Syracuse wasnt riding particularly hard. Errant passing needs to be cleaned up.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 pm Not sure whose idea playing this game there was but that field absolutely sucked. I don't remember in the last several years any field with that many issues. This was the last game of the day, they have all these assistant coaches now, someone should've put a hand up and said this is trash, get it fixed.

You dont think the field conditions and weather affected Cuse's offense as well? I doubt SU scores 3 goals in the first half at the Dome or Homewood. Second no SU fans have hyped this as some dream team, most were hoping to just get to the tourney and then see what happens. Give credit to Ierlan, he made a bunch of point blank saves or Cuse wins this by 4+.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:59 pm

You dont think the field conditions and weather affected Cuse's offense as well? I doubt SU scores 3 goals in the first half at the Dome or Homewood. Second no SU fans have hyped this as some dream team, most were hoping to just get to the tourney and then see what happens. Give credit to Ierlan, he made a bunch of point blank saves or Cuse wins this by 4+.
We'll see you all next year.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:07 am

I hope to see a rematch deep in the tourney this year.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

JeremyCuse wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:09 am

Both teams have a hard road ahead.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 am

Both teams have a hard road ahead.
Absolutely, both conference schedules are very difficult and both still have tough OOC games, Cornell for Cuse and a rivalry game with Navy for Hop. Neither team can afford to let up. Cuse plays Delaware next week in Virginia, will be no pushover.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

If Milliman is reading this, please prioritize getting another goalie and this time a top faceoff man from the transfer portal.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:59 pm You dont think the field conditions and weather affected Cuse's offense as well? I doubt SU scores 3 goals in the first half at the Dome or Homewood. Second no SU fans have hyped this as some dream team, most were hoping to just get to the tourney and then see what happens. Give credit to Ierlan, he made a bunch of point blank saves or Cuse wins this by 4+.
Yep. And on a neutral field again. No Dome and no Homewood.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 pm Melendez has been a shell of his 2023 self. If he's injured give him the Navy game off and let him get ready for April. If it's ineffectiveness give him another role so he can figure it out, the way they did Grimes after they finally tired of believing he was a first line guy.
"Give him another role so he can figure it out" — they did, Bauer took his spot on attack in the second half (and promptly rinsed one of their defensemen on a speed dodge from behind the cage). Melendez came out of the box. They got him matched up on a shortie a couple times but it didn't seem like he wanted to test the matchup. This is the same guy who took Brett Makar, Jack Posey, Chris Fake, and others to the rack last year. He clearly isn't right.
stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:18 pm Perhaps Angelus footing was affected by field conditions, strangely passive and as Carc alluded Hop goes as he goes. Conversely ,dont understand why Cuse d gave Degnon room to receive, hopefully a lesson not to be repeated if a rematch occurs
Not sure I agree on the "as Angelus goes so Hop goes" comment. That's a narrative from last year and Carc needs to update his talking points. The Jays had their most efficient day on offense all season. They just didn't have the ball. Angelus doesn't take the faceoffs. They scored 16 on UVA last week with him only scoring 3 pts too. Meanwhile he had 6 in the OT loss to Denver.
norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:15 am If Milliman is reading this, please prioritize getting another goalie and this time a top faceoff man from the transfer portal.
I promise you he is not reading this
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm Credit Syracuse for the spirited win, but I think Hopkins can win a rematch.
Maybe... but not if SU decides to cover Degnon next time.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think we all need to calm down - there are at least 7 more games in the season - They lost the possession battle - by alot - and still mounted a nice comeback. You are not going to win many games if you only have the ball about 1/3rd of the time. Lets' give credit to the opponents - Syracuse has about 9-10 guys who are legit threats to light the lamp - the impact of the Princeton transfers are starting to be pretty evident. In terms of seeking improvement the following thoughts do occur:
- Echo the sentiments of possibly sitting Melendez - though maybe it's a situation where the lower leg injuries need alot of time to heal but 2/3rds of your attack with 1 shot each is not optimal - and this is not a shot at Navy - that game is not already in the W column- but we kind of need him in April and May
- The vaunted offensive mid-field depth has left the building - now down to 6 players (obviously English gone hurts here)
- I didn't like the last 16 seconds or whatever - that should be a well worn practice moment - down a goal - short time - ball in different places on the field - the goalie can't cradle for a couple seconds - throw a short pass to a short stick and we la de dah down the field and can't even get past the mid stripe. There needs to be a play - where the ball is zipped to the mid-field - OK if it's dropped or knocked down - fine - create a scramble but you can't run the ball up the field like a normal clear
- With 14 shots - Degnon took 39% of the team's total

I do have a question if somebody could enlighten me - and I am not saying it was a reason we lost or anything - but I clearly don't understand the rules. What did Callahan do on the face-off that led to Steven's man-up goal??? - there was a close-up of the face-off on replay and if anything I thought the Syracuse player had his stick on top of Callahan's - was he judged for withholding the ball? I just didn't see what you call in that situation. Pete obviously didn't like the call.

I wonder if the all blacks will make it up to New Jersey
Finster

Post by Finster »

(I’ll post a similar sentiment on the Cuse thread)

I felt that Syracuse needed this game way more than Hopkins; everything felt geared to that. And, if you looked at the sidelines during any goal, Cuse’s was far more energized than Hopkins’s was.

Here’s my read: everything that Syracuse needed to win, went their way. Hopkins played their game for the most part, but it wasn’t above that, extra special. Games like this, bring your A+ game or you’re likely to lose.

I remain convinced that UVA, Duke, and ND are a cut above the others. But, both Syracuse and JHU can beat those 3, BUT ONLY if they bring their A+ game. Tall task but not out of the realm of possibility.
Last edited by Finster on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”