Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:10 pm No call?!!!
They don’t commit penalties. Only we do.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:07 pm Smith is having a nightmare
He looks lost, Stevens path to goal should have been stopped
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:15 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:41 am
norcalhop wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 am Who has the edge in faceoff in this game?
Really hard to know for any given game (different styles, different official's cadence can render overall stats moot), but Hopkins has the luxury of two guys with very different styles that should make us at least competitive in any given game. Their guy (Kohn) is very good, but I'm not sure they have as good of a "Plan B" as Hopkins does.
John Mullen is facing off at 65% with 60 faceoffs taken. On paper at least, he’s a better “plan B” than what Hopkins has.
[Time machine] I think Cuse may have the advantage here
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Why aren't they calling these moving picks
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

It was as clear as day. At a critical moment. And ignored.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:28 pm It was as clear as day. At a critical moment. And ignored.
Almost every time they set a pick for Spallina, it has to be moving because he's too slow to gain separation on anyone otherwise. But that one was particularly egregious
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Bad shooting, bad passing, bad game. Next
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:29 pm Bad shooting, bad passing, bad game. Next
You forgot FO and wing play.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:12 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:10 pm No call?!!!
They don’t commit penalties. Only we do.
Hopkins was called for 6 penalties totaling 4 minutes, Syracuse 5 penalties totaling 5 minutes. (and Hop pulled within 1 on a man up opportunity.). The officials had a pretty consistent approach. This loss isn't on the officials.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Nah, Smith running over set pick doesn't make it moving.

Cuse earned that win, chopped up D in 2h. Ireland was great keeping it close but face-offs tilted field
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Curious to see the stats, but this felt like it was about possessions. Cuse had the ball 60% of the time (at least). Offense was fine - actually pretty efficient it seemed. Defense probably wasn’t even bad in an efficiency basis. They were just on the field the whole time. And the clearing game seemed to fall apart as well. And we lost by one.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:37 pm Curious to see the stats, but this felt like it was about possessions. Cuse had the ball 60% of the time (at least). Offense was fine - actually pretty efficient it seemed. Defense probably wasn’t even bad in an efficiency basis. They were just on the field the whole time. And the clearing game seemed to fall apart as well. And we lost by one.
According to Lacrosse Reference, Cuse had 10 more possessions than we did, 41-31. We were more efficient on offense, 42% to 34%. Was actually our most efficient game of the season — even better than last week. Just didn't have the ball. The clearing issues didn't help.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I almost never criticize the refs, but they were atrocious tonight.

Syracuse absolutely dominated on faceoffs, yet Hopkins lost by just one. That would never have been possible under Petro.

Blue Jays could have won this one with just a few more clears or just a few more faceoff wins.

Credit Syracuse for the spirited win, but I think Hopkins can win a rematch.

Did I mention the stupid schedule that kept Hopkins away from Homewood for nearly a month. Ridiculously stupid to schedule this game for Charlotte during the toughest stretch of the entire schedule. Syracuse looked like the much fresher team tonight.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:44 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:37 pm Curious to see the stats, but this felt like it was about possessions. Cuse had the ball 60% of the time (at least). Offense was fine - actually pretty efficient it seemed. Defense probably wasn’t even bad in an efficiency basis. They were just on the field the whole time. And the clearing game seemed to fall apart as well. And we lost by one.
According to Lacrosse Reference, Cuse had 10 more possessions than we did, 41-31. We were more efficient on offense, 42% to 34%. Was actually our most efficient game of the season — even better than last week. Just didn't have the ball. The clearing issues didn't help.
And the stat per possession / goal over the years was roughly 1 goal for every 3-4 possession. This was prior to shot clock but doubt it’s changed that drastically.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm

Ridiculously stupid to schedule this game for Charlotte
Next time they are offered Charlotte, just decline.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

What is going on with Melendez? He seemed like a huge part of the offense last year
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:01 pm What is going on with Melendez? He seemed like a huge part of the offense last year
He's playing with a brace on both of his ankles
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm I almost never criticize the refs, but they were atrocious tonight.

Syracuse absolutely dominated on faceoffs, yet Hopkins lost by just one. That would never have been possible under Petro.

Blue Jays could have won this one with just a few more clears or just a few more faceoff wins.

Did I mention the stupid schedule that kept Hopkins away from Homewood for nearly a month. Ridiculously stupid to schedule this game for Charlotte during the toughest stretch of the entire schedule. Syracuse looked like the much fresher team tonight.

DocBarrister
Expect Cuse to now make tourney and believe they would be comfortable with a rematch with Hop . Fogo matchup would have the same results and Ierlan isn't tending any better that he did tonight .

Cuse O showed in 2h that can dissect Hop d aggressiveness and that is Hop way

Closing out a good opponent gets the monkey off the back and expecting a springboard forward ,
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:07 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm I almost never criticize the refs, but they were atrocious tonight.

DocBarrister
Expect Cuse to now make tourney and believe they would be comfortable with a rematch with Hop . Fogo matchup would have the same results and Ierlan isn't tending any better that he did tonight .

Cuse O showed in 2h that can dissect Hop d aggressiveness and that is Hop way

Closing out a good opponent gets the monkey off the back and expecting a springboard forward ,
Syracuse will get crushed against Duke, UVa, and Notre Dame. The usual. A non wet field without a bizarre tv delay will show.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:44 pm
That’s consistent with the eye test. I would pick Hop in a rematch. But that doesn’t really matter. I really hate losing to SU. More than to any other team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”