Create a dedicated forum/home for gambling?

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
PizzaSnake

Create a dedicated forum/home for gambling?

Post by PizzaSnake »

Given the increase in gambling-bots, perhaps a dedicated area for gambling proffers could be created? Big problem with gambling is brewing in this country, and it might be a good time to formulate a strategy/policy for FanLax, be it some sort of restriction or laissez-faire acceptance. Whatever that position is to be, state it openly.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Re: Create a dedicated forum/home for gambling?

Post by Matnum PI »

I'm not sure what you mean. A policy for gambling spammers?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

I assume he means to kick them out of the D1/D3 forums, and create a separate section altogether for threads about gambling.

I agree that it is a growing issue. The rise of near-infinite ingame parlays and micro-transactions/wagers has taken a manageable social ill (gambling) and threatens to make it an epidemic; essentially the cocaine-to-crack transition we saw in the 80s.

Many on these forums don't want to be confronted with this garbage on a day-to-day basis.

On the plus side, after a fairly active week one thread, it looks like people got the hint in the D1 forum and shut it down for week 2. Wouldn't be surprised if it came back...
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

ICGrad- agree, you're right on target.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't see a gambling thread within the D1 or D3 Forums.
Caddy Day
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:09 pm I don't see a gambling thread within the D1 or D3 Forums.
Gambling threads:

viewtopic.php?t=4786

viewtopic.php?t=4232

There are three more. Advanced search, "bet*" query, restrict to topics, display topics.

Discussion of issue thread:

viewtopic.php?t=4085
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I dunno. They have their own thread, it is "D1 Men's Lacrosse" so it's not off-topic, kind of interesting to see the lines. I dunno. I'm not sure I see the issue.
Caddy Day
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:46 pm I dunno. They have their own thread, it is "D1 Men's Lacrosse" so it's not off-topic, kind of interesting to see the lines. I dunno. I'm not sure I see the issue.
Ah, so "laissez-faire acceptance?" Good enough.
Laxdegenerate

Post by Laxdegenerate »

I don’t mean to be a jerk but this comes off really uppity and sanctimonious. There are lots of threads to choose from, no one is confronting you with anything. If you want to start a thread for crusty old dudes to tell everyone else how to think please go ahead. It’s easy to not click on things that aren’t of interest.

I do get that some folks in the world make poor choices and that can have a negative affect on everyone, but a lax board isn’t the place to solve those ills. Liberty and freedom and all that. Enjoy the games.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Laxdegenerate wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm I don’t mean to be a jerk but this comes off really uppity and sanctimonious. There are lots of threads to choose from, no one is confronting you with anything. If you want to start a thread for crusty old dudes to tell everyone else how to think please go ahead. It’s easy to not click on things that aren’t of interest.

I do get that some folks in the world make poor choices and that can have a negative affect on everyone, but a lax board isn’t the place to solve those ills. Liberty and freedom and all that. Enjoy the games.
This is a great post. Really necessary. Because that's exactly what the post is. No intention of having honest discourse whatsoever. Thank you for saying something!

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:18 pm
Laxdegenerate wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm I don’t mean to be a jerk but this comes off really uppity and sanctimonious. There are lots of threads to choose from, no one is confronting you with anything. If you want to start a thread for crusty old dudes to tell everyone else how to think please go ahead. It’s easy to not click on things that aren’t of interest.

This is a great post. Really necessary. Because that's exactly what the post is. No intention of having honest discourse whatsoever. Thank you for saying something!

Joe
Because he apparently disagrees with you?

Personally, I'm fine either way. I see no real benefit to encouraging or supporting gambling, but a thread or separate section devoted to such discussions seems easily enough avoided by those wishing to avoid...on the other hand, that could be in Hamsterdam which is already an area in which readers know they're likely to see stuff that is un moderated, and could be offensive to some readers, though not all.

In any case, it's a choice we all can weigh in on.

What's the benefit of dismissing people's opinions as "uppity and sanctimonious"?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:04 pm

Joe

Personally, I'm fine either way. I see no real benefit to encouraging or supporting gambling, but a thread or separate section devoted to such discussions seems easily enough avoided by those wishing to avoid...on the other hand, that could be in Hamsterdam which is already an area in which readers know they're likely to see stuff that is un moderated, and could be offensive to some readers, though not all.

What's the benefit of dismissing people's opinions as "uppity and sanctimonious"?
MD,

It's not a benefit, he's stating a fact. That's what the post is. That's what the intention of the post is. It has nothing to do with agreement or disagreement. There's no intention of attempting to create a healthy discussion. There's nothing to defend here. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:04 pm

Joe

MD,

It's not a benefit, he's stating a fact. That's what the post is. That's what the intention of the post is. It has nothing to do with agreement or disagreement. There's no intention of attempting to create a healthy discussion. There's nothing to defend here. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joe
I may have misunderstood, but which post is a "fact" ? Can you determine without any doubt at all that a poster has an "intention" to not have a healthy discussion? Which post and poster is so clear that you can state such is a "fact" that someone is or intends to be "uppity and sanctimonious"?

Those seem to me to be personal takes, opinions, not facts. We're free to agree or disagree with those opinions, but seems like that was an attack on the poster not the logic...though he goes on to state his opinion that the site should be open to any and all such discussions (including spammers?). But all this is opinion, not "fact".

I see above a rational, open discussion of people's opinions on whether the policy on Fanlax should be to allow gambling discussions and if so where and whether any restrictions at all should apply. A back and forth of views, including directly with Matnum. Seems plenty "healthy" to me.

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”