ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:51 pm Will Penn and Princeton win again tomorrow? Penn Shonda be favored over UNC, who will have trouble with any good teams on thru schedule until they make some significant changes. The erstwhile number one could give Princeton a game.
I’m not quite sure how I rank Cornell after pulling away from Brutus, who will be in the bottom half of conference that includes excellent Maryland and Hopkins teams and a resurgent Penn State team that seems to have overcome the issues that leg to a perplexing loss against Gate. Yale still looks good to me in a year in which one good team wonder make the Ivy tournament.

I picked Penn to win today over UNC, and I’ll stick with it, but UNC’s back is against the wall. They lose today and their season is essentially cooked.

I remain surprised by some coach’s scheduling decisions. After today, Carolina plays the following:

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Compare that schedule with a Maryland or Hopkins schedule. What is Breschi doing?!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Shame the games are at the same time but with the away teams having to catch flights it makes sense for the noon games.

I will watching the Terps but the Princeton /duke game looks interesting. They have a very goalie and those freshmen on attack.
molo

Post by molo »

All three games are at the same time but all three should be available on replay.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Watch Maryland. Turn the sound way down to avoid spoilers. Come back for archives. ;)
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well that was not a good Sunday. So... can the Johnnies break through the PPYC fave group? D not ready, B moribund. Health. Too early to guess 2 or 3 ncaa bids. Don't think 1.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Empire.jpg
Empire.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:38 pmEmpire.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:35 pm Some strong performances in the Ivy League this weekend against a wide range of opponents:

Offense (single games):

CJ Kirst, Cornell: (7,1) 8 points (vs TOSU)
Sam King, Harvard: (5,2) 7 points (vs Siena)
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: (5,2) 7 points (vs UNC) [(2,2), 4 points vs Duke)]
Michael Long, Cornell: (3,4) 7 points (vs TOSU)
David Anderson, Yale: (5,0) 5 points
Luke Dinola, Penn: (3,2) 5 points (vs Duke)
Sam King, Harvard: (3,2) 5 points (vs Merrimack)
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (3,2) 5 points (vs Hobart)
Ben Smith, Penn: (3,2) 5 points (vs Duke)
Hopper Zappitello, Dartmouth: (2,3) 5 points (vs Siena)
Miles Botkiss, Harvard: (1,4) 5 points (vs Merrimack)
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (1,4) 5 points

Face-off (single games):

Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 14/19, 74% (vs Siena)
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 13/20, 65% (vs Duke)
Andrew Degenero, Harvard: 14/22, 64% (vs Merrimack)
Machero Rodriguez, Yale: 12/19, 63%
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 9/15, 60% (vs Hobart)
Chris Arceri, Penn: 10/17, 59% (vs Duke)
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 11/19, 58% (vs Lehigh)
Nicholas Ramsey, Yale: 8/14, 57%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 10/18, 56%

Goalies (single games):

Wyatt Knust, Cornell: 10 saves, 67% (vs Hobart)
Emmet Carroll, Penn: 17 saves, 59% (vs Duke)
Michael Gianfocaro, Princeton: 12 saves, 57% (vs UNC)
Wyatt Knust, Cornell: 13 saves, 54% (vs TOSU)
Michale Gianforcaro, Princeton: 17 saves, 50% (vs Duke)
Jared Paquette, Yale: 15 saves, 50%

I capped the offensive statistics at five points. This omitted some strong performances.
Updated for Penn and Princeton on Sunday. Gianforcaro's two game 29 saves against two ACC powerhouses (53%) certainly was a strong defensive effort.
molo

Post by molo »

Big Friday for the Ivies, tough Sunday. Princeton ran into a Duke buzzsaw and Penn fell off in the second half against UNC. Duke has too much talent to lose two games in two days, and Carolina was desperate.
Is Burns ok? I know some players wear tights in the cold, but it was raining on Friday and was warm today. Is he recovering from an injury ?
nms

Post by nms »

After wondering if Duke and UNC are going to North next year to Philly and Princeton, I decided to look at the ACC non-conference Home/Road splits.
Home Road School
6 4 UVA
6 4 UNC
8 3 Syr (First 8 games at home!)
5 2 ND
8 3 Duke

33 16 ACC.

By contrast,

Home Road School
4 3 Cornell
4 4 Brown
3 4 Penn
2 5 Dartmouth
3 4 Princeton
3 5 Yale
4 3 Harvard

23 28 Ivy

Of course, this kind of discrepancy is never factored in when considering relative strengths.

Note that I got H/R info from InsideLacrosse, and I know the Cornell-ND game is listed as a ND home game, even though it will be played on Long Island. There may be other neutral site games that are misrepresented as well.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ivy Offensive POW: CJ Kirst, Cornell. The league cited his 13 point performance in two games.

Ivy Defensive POW: Brendan Lavelle, Penn: The League noted that Lavelle held Brennan O'Neill to 1 goal on 8 shots. They also noted his 6 GBs and 2 CTs vs Duke, as well as his 5 GBs and 2 CTs vs UNC.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

It's unfortunate that Dartmouth vs Stony Brook isn't being live streamed tonight. This might be an interesting game to watch. Both team sites note that it is up on "Live Stats".
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I know this is a lacrosse board but the Dartmouth basketball union saga is quite something. (There's a link to the NLRB decision in this law firm blog post summary: https://ogletree.com/insights-resources ... oard-case/)

I think it's extremely tortured logic that the Dartmouth players receive "compensation" (sneakers and gear and on-campus housing during winter break are included) -- one argument turns on its head the principle that the players aren't compensated because they can quit the team and maintain full student status and financial aid benefits; somehow the NLRB accepted the interpretation that this means the athletes, who receive a bump in admission likelihood, are thus receiving guaranteed compensation since they keep their financial aid/student benefits even if off the team. To put it another way: if you lost your financial aid when you quit the team, that would show you were being compensated. If you keep your financial aid when you quit the team, per the NLRB interpretation that also shows you were being compensated, you just had a guaranteed contract.

Although this is currently only in the context of a right to bargain collectively, if athletes are found to be employees for union purposes one wonders if athletes would be found to be employees in other regulatory contexts such as minimum wage laws? I just can't really see the Ivy League agreeing to pay players but who knows.
Last edited by The Orfling on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:38 pm It's unfortunate that Dartmouth vs Stony Brook isn't being live streamed tonight. This might be an interesting game to watch. Both team sites note that it is up on "Live Stats".
The number of neutral site games (Harvard - Bucknell, UNC - Mercer, and UNC - Fairfield to name but three) that haven't been webcast this season is a disappointment and a surprise. Many HS and sports venues (Staples HS, Silverbacks Park and Georgetown Prep in the cases mentioned above and Avon Old Farms for the Dartmouth - Stony Brook game) have the infrastructure to host a webcast and for those that don't, the cost to contract a vendor to do so is relatively minor when split between two teams.
Finish Strong
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sportin' Life wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:43 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:38 pm It's unfortunate that Dartmouth vs Stony Brook isn't being live streamed tonight. This might be an interesting game to watch. Both team sites note that it is up on "Live Stats".
The number of neutral site games (Harvard - Bucknell, UNC - Mercer, and UNC - Fairfield to name but three) that haven't been webcast this season is a disappointment and a surprise. Many HS and sports venues (Staples HS, Silverbacks Park and Georgetown Prep in the cases mentioned above and Avon Old Farms for the Dartmouth - Stony Brook game) have the infrastructure to host a webcast and for those that don't, the cost to contract a vendor to do so is relatively minor when split between two teams.
Yes, well said. Not sure why teams aren't willing to at least do a high-school level stream.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

The game was at AOF and not streamed? Very odd, they broadcast all of their own games.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Maybe something imposed by ESPN+ and other network contracts, lawyers etc?
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Could certainly be the case. Interestingly there was a webcast on YouTube for the Dartmouth - Lehigh game that was played at Trinity College.
Finish Strong
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:37 pm Maybe something imposed by ESPN+ and other network contracts, lawyers etc?
That makes sense -- you are probably right.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

A whole bunch of interesting games coming up this last weekend before league play.

Saturday:
Brown at Maryland. Well, if Brown State has an A game bottled up inside and waiting to emerge, this is the time to show it.

Cornell at Penn State. Battle of nationally ranked teams with one loss, Cornell vs one of its former head coaches, Tambroni. I wish I could be in State College for this one!

Penn at Villanova. Gotta love these local rivalry games.

Sunday:
Princeton at Rutgers, the Battle of New Jersey. Yet another Ivy v Big 10 game.

Harvard at 5-0 finally leaves New England, heading to the Midwest to visit 5-1 Michigan. Michigan's only loss was to UVA to open the season; last weekend's win at Delaware might have been the Wolverines' best so far. Is Harvard for real? Is Michigan NCAA tourney bound again this year? An intriguing Ivy vs Big 10 match-up!

Yale at undefeated and #1 Denver.

Wow, a terrific slate of games! Go Ivy!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”