Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxer12

Re: Polls

Post by laxer12 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:47 am Clueless Poll for March 4, 2024:

1. Northwestern -- just think they are the best right now. This team is beatable, but it takes a supreme effort and real success at the draw circle to reduce offensive opportunities for Scane and Company, LLC. Getting decent help from players other than Herself and No. 2.

2. Notre Dame -- Syracuse game could have gone either way; if ND had won I would have to rank them No. 1, right? But they didn't so they are No. 2 behind a team they beat. Weird.

3. BC -- good rebound from the NU game.

4. JMU -- if you are saying, "that f*cking Seacoaster wanted to put Syracuse at No. 3," you are absolutely right.

5. Syracuse -- look, they are pretty good, and I think better than I expected. If you ask me why they are so many slots above a team that beat them in OT at home, I will try to ignore you until some other shiny things arrives....

6. UNC -- Losses to JMU and Notre Dame; still, all in all, a very good team held Notre Dame to seven goals. If the offense can find some rhythm and share the ball as well as it can, they will have a very good season under the circumstances.

7. Michigan -- 6-0 and don't have a likely competitive game (no offense!) until maybe Penn on March 16, when they should be 10-0.

8. Loyola -- respectfully, no heavy tests on the schedule until Syracuse on March 27. They should be 9-0 entering that game in the Dome.

9. Maryland -- every time I write down Maryland, I do wonder if some pull of the legacy is making me do it. I think this is a a good, not great, team. Surprised they beat Syracuse, surprised they lost to Gainesville State. Good win against Denver, which I drop out of my clueless top ten.

10. Florida -- just when they were starting to turn the ship around...they head to the West Coast to play UC-Davis and San Diego State. No idea if this team warrants a top ten, given the yo-yo goings on.
Completely disagree with you saying the Syracuse vs Notre Dame game could've gone either way. Syracuse took total control in that third quarter and never gave back the lead once they had it. Cuse was the better team that day.

The Maryland vs Cuse OT game is an actual example of a game that could've gone either way. As evidenced by both teams squandering opportunity after opportunity before Maryland made Cuse pay on a very boneheaded green card penalty as time expired in the 1st overtime period.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Lmao. Penn State is still ranked in IL.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10 pm Lmao. Penn State is still ranked in IL.
Think you might be looking at last week..
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10 pm Lmao. Penn State is still ranked in IL.
Think you might be looking at last week..
Thank god. Not sure why NCAa posted it like that on Instagram.
Hello

Post by Hello »

Clearly there is a deep divide between the first and the 25th teams but a pretty interesting breakdown in total for the top 25 this week:

ACC 8 teams
Big 10 5 teams
Ivies 5 teams
Patriot 2 teams
Pac 12 2 teams
Big East 1 team
Atlantic 1 team
CCA 1 team
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Hello wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:26 pm Clearly there is a deep divide between the first and the 25th teams but a pretty interesting breakdown in total for the top 25 this week:

ACC 8 teams
Big 10 5 teams
Ivies 5 teams
Patriot 2 teams
Pac 12 2 teams
Big East 1 team
Atlantic 1 team
CCA 1 team
+ 2 AAC teams...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:25 am

1. Northwestern -- just think they are the best right now. This team is beatable, but it takes a supreme effort and real success at the draw circle to reduce offensive opportunities for Scane and Company, LLC. Getting decent help from players other than Herself and No. 2.

2. Notre Dame -- Syracuse game could have gone either way; if ND had won I would have to rank them No. 1, right? But they didn't so they are No. 2 behind a team they beat. Weird.

4. JMU -- if you are saying, "that f*cking Seacoaster wanted to put Syracuse at No. 3," you are absolutely right.

5. Syracuse -- look, they are pretty good, and I think better than I expected. If you ask me why they are so many slots above a team that beat them in OT at home, I will try to ignore you until some other shiny things arrives....

6. UNC -- Losses to JMU and Notre Dame; still, all in all, a very good team held Notre Dame to seven goals. If the offense can find some rhythm and share the ball as well as it can, they will have a very good season under the circumstances.

7. Michigan -- 6-0 and don't have a likely competitive game (no offense!) until maybe Penn on March 16, when they should be 10-0.

8. Loyola -- respectfully, no heavy tests on the schedule until Syracuse on March 27. They should be 9-0 entering that game in the Dome.

9. Maryland -- every time I write down Maryland, I do wonder if some pull of the legacy is making me do it. I think this is a a good, not great, team. Surprised they beat Syracuse, surprised they lost to Gainesville State. Good win against Denver, which I drop out of my clueless top ten.

10. Florida -- just when they were starting to turn the ship around...they head to the West Coast to play UC-Davis and San Diego State. No idea if this team warrants a top ten, given the yo-yo goings on.
Completely disagree with you saying the Syracuse vs Notre Dame game could've gone either way. Syracuse took total control in that third quarter and never gave back the lead once they had it. Cuse was the better team that day.

The Maryland vs Cuse OT game is an actual example of a game that could've gone either way. As evidenced by both teams squandering opportunity after opportunity before Maryland made Cuse pay on a very boneheaded green card penalty as time expired in the 1st overtime period.
I am a Syracuse fan, and understand what you're saying. But we can agree to disagree. Even with that excellent and overwhelming third quarter (6-1), Syracuse was ahead by only a goal (12-11). To me, anyway, that's a game that could have gone either way. Not that it matters anymore. Would you have, in a poll today, Syracuse above Notre Dame?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Its just my opinion but ND is not better than BC. BC has won the last 6 contests that I can recall and only one was close. BC also sent ND home in the NCAA playoffs by running clock the past 3 years. Both teams have largely comparable teams that they have had historically and BC has better coaching. IMO its just a bad match-up for ND. They take ND best player out of the game and it quickly becomes a bad match-up. UNC just did the same thing and help ND to 7 goals. If you ask ND which team they would least like to play I think the players would say BC.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:08 pm Its just my opinion but ND is not better than BC. BC has won the last 6 contests that I can recall and only one was close. BC also sent ND home in the NCAA playoffs by running clock the past 3 years. Both teams have largely comparable teams that they have had historically and BC has better coaching. IMO its just a bad match-up for ND. They take ND best player out of the game and it quickly becomes a bad match-up. UNC just did the same thing and help ND to 7 goals. If you ask ND which team they would least like to play I think the players would say BC.
I think they are very evenly matched -- when ND plays to its potential, which isn't as much as its fans would like. You are right (or at least I agree) that AWW is the better coach and better motivator. It should be a very good game when they play, March 16, Wells Crowther/Red Bandana Game at BC.

Grateful Red, who gets the Red Bandana? Reynolds?
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Florida should not be top 10. I’ll die on this hill.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:39 pm

I am a Syracuse fan, and understand what you're saying. But we can agree to disagree. Even with that excellent and overwhelming third quarter (6-1), Syracuse was ahead by only a goal (12-11). To me, anyway, that's a game that could have gone either way. Not that it matters anymore. Would you have, in a poll today, Syracuse above Notre Dame?
Yes, they were only ahead by a goal at that point, but their momentum and stellar play continued all the way to the end of the game. SU always had a 2 or 3 goal margin on them and it was just enough to always keep them at bay. When I think of a game that could go either way, I think it's a one goal game down to the wire, with both teams trading the lead.

If Syracuse beat Maryland like they should've (obviously I'm a Cuse fan as well), then I'd have Syracuse as #3 and Notre Dame as #4. But obviously that didn't happen and so my top 5 right now are Northwestern, BC, Notre Dame, Cuse, and JMU.
belleoftheball

Post by belleoftheball »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:12 pm Florida should not be top 10. I’ll die on this hill.
I tend to agree that Florida are always over hyped, but the issue is: who gets put at n10 then?

I have pretty much the exact same poll as Seacoster, and think that if ND can pull it together (history says they cannot), they will make final 4.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

belleoftheball wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:43 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:12 pm Florida should not be top 10. I’ll die on this hill.
I tend to agree that Florida are always over hyped, but the issue is: who gets put at n10 then?

I have pretty much the exact same poll as Seacoster, and think that if ND can pull it together (history says they cannot), they will make final 4.
Good question. I'm not a fan of basing it off the highest team they beat in the past week or two. The IWLCA poll has Denver at 10 and I could get behind that if they didn't have 2 losses. I'd drop them down and pick up a team with some promise that's at most, 1 loss. Stony Brook is 4-0, but should lose tonight, so not them. Schedule is weak so far.

One loss Virginia looks like a hot team to me and worthy of Top 10. A close loss to UNC, but good wins otherwise. They can hang IMO. UVA is my #10.

I also think Navy should be up there, maybe just outside of Top 10. Navy vs Loyola will hold some value.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 am
I also think Navy should be up there, maybe just outside of Top 10. Navy vs Loyola will hold some value.
Navy will value their game against Loyola, but it wont be close.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:49 pm
Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:08 pm Its just my opinion but ND is not better than BC. BC has won the last 6 contests that I can recall and only one was close. BC also sent ND home in the NCAA playoffs by running clock the past 3 years. Both teams have largely comparable teams that they have had historically and BC has better coaching. IMO its just a bad match-up for ND. They take ND best player out of the game and it quickly becomes a bad match-up. UNC just did the same thing and help ND to 7 goals. If you ask ND which team they would least like to play I think the players would say BC.
I think they are very evenly matched -- when ND plays to its potential, which isn't as much as its fans would like. You are right (or at least I agree) that AWW is the better coach and better motivator. It should be a very good game when they play, March 16, Wells Crowther/Red Bandana Game at BC.

Grateful Red, who gets the Red Bandana? Reynolds?
"...to demonstrate acts of courage, bravery, selflessness and strength now, and well into, her future."

#16 would be a great choice. There is a long watchlist of high-character women up and down the roster. The only insight I have is that the honor is selected by the coaches--can’t wait to see who they pick. Also alumni weekend including the ACC ring ceremony. Oh yeah, decent game shaping up too. Going to be a great weekend.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:37 pm

Yes, they were only ahead by a goal at that point, but their momentum and stellar play continued all the way to the end of the game. SU always had a 2 or 3 goal margin on them and it was just enough to always keep them at bay. When I think of a game that could go either way, I think it's a one goal game down to the wire, with both teams trading the lead.

If Syracuse beat Maryland like they should've (obviously I'm a Cuse fan as well), then I'd have Syracuse as #3 and Notre Dame as #4. But obviously that didn't happen and so my top 5 right now are Northwestern, BC, Notre Dame, Cuse, and JMU.
Cuse is very beatable. Other teams have better talent/coaching. Cuse is 3-3 now after losing to SBU. Assuming they “should have been able to…” implies it’s a rarity. Not at 3-3 and the 3 loses are to top 10 teams.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

McLax9777 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:48 am

Cuse is very beatable. Other teams have better talent/coaching. Cuse is 3-3 now after losing to SBU. Assuming they “should have been able to…” implies it’s a rarity. Not at 3-3 and the 3 loses are to top 10 teams.
Not sure it implies that at all. 2 of their 3 losses were tightly contested 1-goal games that were both decided in OT and therefore, by the very nature of it, could’ve gone either way. They could very easily be 5-1 instead of 3-3. Yes, Cuse is very beatable, as is every other team with the exception of Northwestern, and perhaps BC and Notre Dame.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

laxer12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:10 am

Not sure it implies that at all. 2 of their 3 losses were tightly contested 1-goal games that were both decided in OT and therefore, by the very nature of it, could’ve gone either way. They could very easily be 5-1 instead of 3-3. Yes, Cuse is very beatable, as is every other team with the exception of Northwestern, and perhaps BC and Notre Dame.
They could of, but they didn’t in either game with same scenarios. Everyone wants them to be this unstoppable force of a team, but that’s not how they play. They just don’t have it, they were close the past couple years but not anymore.
Would love to see some more from Ward but she doesn’t seem to be playing same as years past. I’m not not a Syracuse fan, but I don’t see it with this crew.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

McLax9777 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:18 pm
laxer12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:10 am

They could of, but they didn’t in either game with same scenarios. Everyone wants them to be this unstoppable force of a team, but that’s not how they play. They just don’t have it, they were close the past couple years but not anymore.
Would love to see some more from Ward but she doesn’t seem to be playing same as years past. I’m not not a Syracuse fan, but I don’t see it with this crew.
I agree with everything you said there, and I am a Syracuse fan. I expected the defense to be better with all the experience returning there and it's not. I expected both Emmas to really step it up to another level this season and that hasn't happened. Olivia has been the only consistently good offensive weapon they have. But they're also just not running good offensive sets and that falls on Treanor's shoulders. Their man-up offense has been absolutely dreadful. So many open cutters in the middle of the SB defense that they failed to look up and see. Cuse still has enough talent to compete and potentially beat top opponents. Will they be a serious contender for any championships this season? With the way SU is playing right now, I'd say that's a hard no.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Week 5

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Top 20

1. Northwestern
2. Maryland
3. Michigan
4. Virginia
5. Loyola

6. Boston College
7. Johns Hopkins
8. Florida