Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by youthathletics »

Comeonman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:46 pm The Jesus Brothers
Not wrong 😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HGK

Post by HGK »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:35 pm I guess Geoegetown had to "shoot the ball perfectly" last week to have beaten ND. Master of hyperbole.
Or maybe instead he should have said “Maryland should create from behind and pick on crease like Georgetown did”
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 pm UM is 8-13 on clear so far. Pat Kav's ride is creating havoc, he has caused 4 turnovers and a couple of others that disturb cd passes that wasn't credited

Yea I get the ND hate but both can be true. Carc is insufferable and the ride has really impacted the game
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

"Meat on the bone." Ummm, okay, as long as the Irish football players like it.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

There was almost nothing redeemable about that game whatsoever, just a total pants crapping from minute 1 to 60. took themselves out of the game with terrible clearing and the turnovers; to top off subpar days from McNaney and Wierman. A masterpiece of dogcrap. Actually, Malever was really good. That's a positive; he looks like he's getting there. Otherwise, shelve it, you get the one reprieve in the schedule next week, and then get ready for Virginia in two weeks. Still +1 on the year from last year.

As an aside, the game really was kinda funny. Pat Kav putting on a performance art show piece of flopping after him and his brother went full woe is me for his brother trying to give Dylan Hess CTE last week was the cherry on top.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

That sucked. Tillman looked like he wanted to puke.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Good win by ND. No reason to have McNaney running around playing D with a minute to go. If McNaney wasnt healing that knee i think they clear differently. Clearing outch. D gave alot of looks in close and they stuck em. Need better shot selection on ND goalie. Fake low go high on him. He's a knee dropper but good at it. I guess they don't call pushes in the back at faceoff anymore. Thats what i saw. Onto Brown.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Game shows there are things to work on. Clearing was...bad. Too many turnovers to beat a good team like ND. And then...man down defense was freaking atrocious.

Loss this early in the season isn't dispositive by any stretch - this will be something they will look back on from time to time and learn from.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

I miss when Syracuse was good. At least the announcer Carcellatio was about a storied program. Joe Beninati please save me. Or Matt Ward or Jules Heningburg.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

At least next year we don't have to do this with the Kavanagh's ever again. 2 more months! That's it!
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:11 pm
I miss when Syracuse was good.
At least the announcer Carcellatio was about a storied program. Joe Beninati please save me. Or Matt Ward or Jules Heningburg.

Syracuse lost to Maryland in overtime.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Pork42 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:36 pm Good win by ND. No reason to have McNaney running around playing D with a minute to go. If McNaney wasnt healing that knee i think they clear differently. Clearing outch. D gave alot of looks in close and they stuck em. Need better shot selection on ND goalie. Fake low go high on him. He's a knee dropper but good at it. I guess they don't call pushes in the back at faceoff anymore. Thats what i saw. Onto Brown.

Strange game from the tender. Highlight reel saves, but really not his best outing from a save percentage.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:34 pm At least next year we don't have to do this with the Kavanagh's ever again. 2 more months! That's it!
Chris is only a junior. Sorry man.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:42 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:34 pm At least next year we don't have to do this with the Kavanagh's ever again. 2 more months! That's it!
Well he's the worst of them so that's a plus
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:10 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Well he's the worst of them so that's a plus
Well, we will miss them when they're gone. It's the one thing that all of us (Terp fans, Hop fans, UVa fans, Cuse fans, UVa fans) can agree on. So for now, at least, we've got that going for us. Which is nice.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:40 pm
Pork42 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:36 pm Good win by ND. No reason to have McNaney running around playing D with a minute to go. If McNaney wasnt healing that knee i think they clear differently. Clearing outch. D gave alot of looks in close and they stuck em. Need better shot selection on ND goalie. Fake low go high on him. He's a knee dropper but good at it. I guess they don't call pushes in the back at faceoff anymore. Thats what i saw. Onto Brown.

Strange game from the tender. Highlight reel saves, but really not his best outing from a save percentage.
Irish fed the middle and in close hard to make saves there. But no doubt about the Irish are solid in all areas except themselves. Head hunting (penalties)and forced shots at times could derail them. Will they run out of gas again in 4th quarters late in the season? I don't think they will make that mistake again.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

McNaney - and the whole team really - settled in and played decent in the second half. The problem was the first half was so amazingly bad they dug themselves a hole they couldn't get out of. Mac's outlet passes and clearing was also as poor as I've ever seen it. Looked rattled by the ride. Just a no good, very bad idea.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:24 pm McNaney - and the whole team really - settled in and played decent in the second half. The problem was the first half was so amazingly bad they dug themselves a hole they couldn't get out of. Mac's outlet passes and clearing was also as poor as I've ever seen it. Looked rattled by the ride. Just a no good, very bad idea.
He was a mess against Richmond as well. But the entire team was bad clearing. That was the least prepared or poised I've seen a Tillman team since, well I guess Michigan last year, but maybe 2013 Cornell NCAAT game before that. Lars is lickin' his chops.

Midfield needs a boost. There's a few very experienced guys who are almost no threat to score, or even shoot. Stobaugh got the usual 1 run per game, but got himself free for a dangerous SOG.

It was nice to see Malever play so well. Despite the score, I thought the offense did some good things against a very tough defense and goalie. They got some nice point-blank shots off great passes and some other open looks that they just missed. I think they'll improve significantly from this experience.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:01 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:24 pm McNaney - and the whole team really - settled in and played decent in the second half. The problem was the first half was so amazingly bad they dug themselves a hole they couldn't get out of. Mac's outlet passes and clearing was also as poor as I've ever seen it. Looked rattled by the ride. Just a no good, very bad idea.
He was a mess against Richmond as well. But the entire team was bad clearing. That was the least prepared or poised I've seen a Tillman team since, well I guess Michigan last year, but maybe 2013 Cornell NCAAT game before that. Lars is lickin' his chops.

Midfield needs a boost. There's a few very experienced guys who are almost no threat to score, or even shoot. Stobaugh got the usual 1 run per game, but got himself free for a dangerous SOG.

It was nice to see Malever play so well. Despite the score, I thought the offense did some good things against a very tough defense and goalie. They got some nice point-blank shots off great passes and some other open looks that they just missed. I think they'll improve significantly from this experience.
100% agree. Felt the same way last year with regards to our middies. They went from donville demaio and khan (though mostly on attack) to guys who are very experienced and know the system well ... but i can't imagine make many opposing defenses nervous

I know its been said in the past on this forum that they just have to accept/ live with Erksa's turnovers since he produces ... I think that is total nonsense. Malever has more points and only 3 turnovers on the SEASON (3 today for Erksa). Erksa has 18 total turnovers on the season. I get that he is more of a focal point on the offense but c'mon that has got to be cleaned up
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Erksa's turnovers have to come down. 1 or 2 in the interest of aggressiveness is something you can "live" with; more than 3 per game and the way he has them off just basic catching/passing mistakes are not acceptable.

Right now the offense is stuck in this tough middle ground where they obviously need a quarterback of the offense to truly make this system click at the speed/tempo it needs to be effective - it's just a .5 second slow basically everywhere and it's killing them - but neither Malever nor Erksa for different reasons are there yet. Malever is the natural fit in terms of his passing and lacrosse IQ but he clearly isn't quite yet back up to his best as a dodger. It was good to see him aggressively attack the shortie matchup today. But if he's not going to yet be a real dodging threat; you get the problem Georgetown has with TJ Haley. Meanwhile, Erksa is clearly the best dodging threat they have; but as evidenced by his turnovers, his vision and lacrosse IQ are not near in sync with his physical tools yet. So there's not a natural answer to the question and they're stuck. If Malever can get back to 100% game speed and get his confidence back and go after poles, they'll be ready cause he can run the offense from X and Erksa is freed up to just be a dodger. If Erksa can find the additional parts of his game to go with the physical tools, then he becomes a true weapon and it will open everything else up. It'll come I believe; but it takes time. Rambo didn't do it till really early in his junior year; though he flashed some end of 2015.

Agreed on the offensive midfield as well. Brennan needs to be a shortie. They could use some depth there and he is a non-threat to score. At some point loyalty has to go out the window and it's gotta be about putting dudes out there who give the team the best shot to threaten the other team. 2 goals in the last 12 games when you have a guy like Stobaugh who received the hype from people inside the program he was getting isn't enough. Kelly running out of the box is not a good use of his skills. He's not going to beat a guy off the dodge and he can't invert. He's a shooter from a specific spot. Put him man-up or on the point in transition. Siracusa has been a real positive, but it may be time to think about balancing out the midfields and moving him back to the 2nd to give that group a dodging threat. Maybe put him, Stobaugh, and Murphy together. Those are also potentially your 3 best shooters from the midfield as well. Then maybe bump Whittier back up to the 1st with Spanos, who he showed a lot of good chemistry with last year. Needs some tinkering.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”