Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by VeryRustyRed »

My guess is that several players were not dressed due to injuries...including Goldstein and Lombardi. I didn't notice TJ Lamb either.
And we know of Cascadden and Bozzi.
mfp

Post by mfp »

Jack Cascadden #7 on the Lacrosse Reference ELO rankings: https://www.reddit.com/r/NCAAMensLax/co ... o_ratings/.

Yes, I know he's out. Just want to give him credit for an outstanding start to the season.
mfp

Post by mfp »

Speaking of faceoffs, I was thinking about how Petrakis is one of those guys who seems like he's been around forever. I think he got some playing time as a freshman before COVID and then has contributed each year since then. FOGO can be a pretty thankless role unless you're really good, but Petrakis has been a solid contributor to Cornell lacrosse for many years.

I geeked out (and avoided actual work) and put together his career stats:

2024: 13/26 (50.0%)
2023: 67/130 (51.5%)
2022: 220/445 (49.4%)
2020: 46/75 (61.3%)
TOTAL: 346/676 (51.2%)

Not spectacular but he has battled for those faceoff wins year after year.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

mfp wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 pm Speaking of faceoffs, I was thinking about how Petrakis is one of those guys who seems like he's been around forever. I think he got some playing time as a freshman before COVID and then has contributed each year since then. FOGO can be a pretty thankless role unless you're really good, but Petrakis has been a solid contributor to Cornell lacrosse for many years.

I geeked out (and avoided actual work) and put together his career stats:

2024: 13/26 (50.0%)

Not spectacular but he has battled for those faceoff wins year after year.
I remember his game winning goal vs Penn State in 2020. He's fearless.
mfp

Post by mfp »

mfp wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 pm 2024: 13/26 (50.0%)
I forgot that Petrakis was a victim of the change to the faceoff rules. 2020 was not a huge sample size, but his win rate was much higher than after the rule. (I don't remember when the rule to effect, but that seems right.)
semsox

Post by semsox »

I feel one of the most interesting aspects of the team this year is how the offensive midfield lines will continue to evolve. As VRR opined in an earlier post, it feels the current 1st line midfield is a bit top heavy compared to the 2nd line. From watching, it feels like Wirtheim and Firth are the two most complete midfielders in terms of their scoring and passing prowess, and because of that, I'd almost rather split them up, as crazy as that seems.

In a scenario where Lombardi is able to return, I wonder if bumping Firth down to the 2nd line and running with a Wirtheim/Kelleher/Lombardi first line followed by a Firth/Blake/Sheehan/Dalton/etc. 2nd line wouldn't end up being more balanced, provided they could run those lines more as 1a/1b. Even without Lombari, running Wirtheim/Kelleher/Sheehan with Firth/Blake/Dalton seems like a balanced midfield with a facilitator /dodger /connecter on each line.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

semsox wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:57 pm I feel one of the most interesting aspects of the team this year is how the offensive midfield lines will continue to evolve. As VRR opined in an earlier post, it feels the current 1st line midfield is a bit top heavy compared to the 2nd line. From watching, it feels like Wirtheim and Firth are the two most complete midfielders in terms of their scoring and passing prowess, and because of that, I'd almost rather split them up, as crazy as that seems.

In a scenario where Lombardi is able to return, I wonder if bumping Firth down to the 2nd line and running with a Wirtheim/Kelleher/Lombardi first line followed by a Firth/Blake/Sheehan/Dalton/etc. 2nd line wouldn't end up being more balanced, provided they could run those lines more as 1a/1b. Even without Lombari, running Wirtheim/Kelleher/Sheehan with Firth/Blake/Dalton seems like a balanced midfield with a facilitator /dodger /connecter on each line.
With Cascadden out at FOGO, I wonder if some of this depth might be well-deployed by having 2 or 4 of these midfield athletes specialize as face-off wings.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Nice close-out after a rough start
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Congrats Big Red on a 15-11 victory over Ohio State. CJ Kirst 7-1, Mikey Long 3-4. Knust 13 saves; Faceoffs 12/30.
Last edited by laxfan1313 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:08 pm Congrats Big Red on a 15-11 victory over Ohio State. CJ Kirst 7-1, Mikey Long 3-4.
Against two good ones: Hudgins and Van Buren. Latter hurt late after getting foot caught in netting.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Nice win!
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I flew out of W. Palm Beach on Thursday afternoon, saying goodbye to 80 degree temps and Royal Palm trees. Though it was a beautiful in Ithaca on Friday, dealing with a high of 44 and lots of rain today was well worth it for the Big Red W.
Salient thoughts of the day:
-Despite the final score, I think OSU may have more offensive team speed and quickness (certainly showed early), but neither its dodging or outside shooting was particularly impressive.
-A sloppy start for Cornell offensively (a few illegal picks and poor passes), but Long and Kirst were on top of their games today - Long's vision and field presence is great, but most noteworthy is that he seems to have his former "hops" back. Kirst seemed to have more room to show his strengths today -I think OSU should've given 44 a lot more support. He looked so confident today, even a few stutter steps. I haven't seen stats, but I think 1 and 15 scored or assisted in 12 of Cornell's goals.
-Cornell probably lost the GB battle today, but it seemed like "just one of those days" when most bounces and rebounds went straight to OSU players. Since my quasi-rant after Lehigh and Denver about shorties and poles showing or doubling unnecesarily causing separation for shooters, the boys have improved. Early on today though, thery were a few times they were burnt; need to communicate and coordinate better as the season goes on.
-I've never seen a game where the refs let as many pushes from behind go without calling anything. Equally bad on both teams. They let the boys play today.
Oher:
-Play of the game - on a Cornell 10 man ride, with the goal wide open, Knust's diving save when he realized he was going to be "toast."
-Great effort today from Kelleher - as a middie he had OSU rotating on his dodges, but more noteworthy is that he was used as a regular F/O wing to relieve the ss from too much time on the field. At one point you could he was absolutely gassed. Great effort.
-Quiet day for Wirtheim scoring wise, but he always draws the pole. Nice that Buczek has learned to put the ball in his hands at the end when running clock - he's 2 handed, fast, and aggressive.
-Suggestion for Coach Stevens: put Wallace on the point on the man down. He's 6'7" with a 6' pole...so much for passing lanes.
-OSU goalie - looks like his style is to drop on most shots; I throught we had success going high.
-2nd game in a row Staub did not start. Against Hobart he didn't come in until 7+ minutes. Today entered after 2 or 3 possessions. ???
-Singer had his helmet off after taking a 4th quarter hit. My guess he was in concussion protocol.
-It's hard to believe how solid, how good, Gilmartin, a freshman, has been. With Bozzi out, the defense would be hurting without Gilmartin.
-Buczek and Stevens don't miss a beat tactically. For example called a timely 4th quarter TO to get right defensive personnel in, had Chris Davis a ss
on as an o-mid instead of Firth when they were running clock at the end, got 35 and 27 on just enough to keep the other ss's from being gassed.
-FOGOS - haven't seen stats but since #20 went down, it looks like Psyllos and Petrakis hold their own through mid in the 2nd quarter; then go well below 50%. I assume opponents' are learning their tendencies over time. One thing about Psyllos, when he loses a draw, he goes all in, 100% full sprint, in an effort to strip possession.
*Cornell seems to have Ohio State's "number" - I think they've won every game since the 2008 1st round NCAA debacle.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I flew out of W. Palm Beach on Thursday afternoon, saying goodbye to 80 degree temps and Royal Palm trees. Though it was aeautiful in Ithaca on Friday, dealing with a high of 44 and lots of rain today was well worth it for the Big Red W.
Salient thoughts of the day:
-Despite the final score, I think OSU may have more offensive team speed and quickness (certainly showed early), but neither its dodging or outside shooting was particularly impressive.
-A sloppy start for Cornell offensively (a few illegal picks and poor passes), but Long and Kirst were on top of their games today - Long's vision and field presence is great, but most noteworthy is that seems to have his former "hops" back. Kirst seemed to have more room to show his strengths today -I think OSU should've given 44 a lot more support. He looked so confident today, even a few stutter steps. I haven't seen stats, but I think 1 and 15 scored or assisted in 12 of Cornell's goals.
-Cornell probably lost the GB battle today, but it seemed like "just one of those days" when most bounces and rebounds went straight to OSU players. Since my quasi-rant after Lehigh and Denver about shorties and poles showing or doubling unnecesarily causing separation for shooters, the boys have improved. Early on today though, thery were a few times they were burnt; need to communicate and coordinate better as the season goes on.
-I've never seen a game where the refs let as many pushes from behind go without calling anything. Equally bad on both teams. They let the boys play today.
Oher:
-Play of the game - on a Cornell 10 man ride, with the goal wide open, Knust's diving save when he realized he was going to be "toast."
-Great effort today from Kelleher - as a middie he had OSU rotating on his dodges, but more noteworthy is that he was used as a regular F/O wing to relieve the ss from too much time on the field. At one point you could he was absolutely gassed. Great effort.
-Quiet day for Wirtheim scoring wise, but he always draws the pole. Nice that Buczek has learned to put the ball in his hands at the end when running clock - he's 2 handed, fast, and aggressive.
-Suggestion for Coach Stevens: put Wallace on the point on the man down. He's 6'7" with a 6' pole...so much for passing lanes.
-OSU goalie - looks like his style is to drop on most shots; I throught we had success going high.
-2nd game in a row Staub did not start. Against Hobart he didn't come in until 7+ minutes. Today entered after 2 or 3 possessions. ???
-Singer had his helmet off after taking a 4th quarter hit. My guess he was in concussion protocol.
-It's hard to believe how solid, how good, Gilmartin, a freshman, has been. With Bozzi out, the defense would be hurting without Gilmartin.
-Buczek and Stevens don't miss a beat tactically. For example called a timely 4th quarter TO to get right defensive personnel in, had Chris Davis a ss
on as an o-mid instead of Firth when they were running clock at the end, got 35 and 27 on just enough to keep the other ss's from being gassed.
-FOGOS - haven't seen stats but since #20 went down, it looks like Psyllos and Petrakis hold their own through mid in the 2nd quarter; then go well below 50%. I assume opponents' are learning their tendencies over time. One thing about Psyllos, when he loses a draw, he goes all in, 100% full sprint, in an effort to strip possession.
*Cornell seems to have Ohio State's "number" - I think they've won every game since the 2008 1st round NCAA debacle.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

You just knew that Kirst would eventually have 1 of those games where we realize why he is a Tewaaraton finalist. He was just uncoverable today, from a team that plays great defense.

Long is absolutely amazing and his dodging, vision, and shooting makes him an incredible full package.

Kelleher has really picked up his game and that is really helping everyone else offensively.

Their defense again looked better building on what they worked on against Hobart.

Knust is looking more and more comfortable and his confidence is growing.

I think Ohio State was one of the top defenses coming in and the Red still put up 15.

In 4 games, they have 17, 16, 23, 15. Theirs no doubt, this is one of the top offenses in the country and they can score on anyone.

Petrakis and Psyllos continue to hold their own and at least give the Red a chance on the X.

The Ivy League race looks scary with Penn defeating the #1 team in the country on the ROAD. Princeton beating NC on the ROAD. Yale, losing by 1 to a very good PSU team on the ROAD, and Harvard undefeated. Dartmouth is definitely improved, and Brown always is a tough out, especially in Providence.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
molo

Post by molo »

Looks like a strong year for the Ivies. My ACC is looking overrated by comparison.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:53 pm Looks like a strong year for the Ivies. My ACC is looking overrated by comparison.
I would say right now, its:
1. BIG
2. IVY
3. ACC
4. PATRIOT
5. A10

Gobigred
Joewillie78
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Nice win! Kirst is just a freak. Buczek set up a murderous schedule.. out of conference having to play the Irish and Syracuse will be rough. Looking forward to seeing out the big red handle it. LGR!
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:12 pm Nice win! Kirst is just a freak. Buczek set up a murderous schedule.. out of conference having to play the Irish and Syracuse will be rough. Looking forward to seeing out the big red handle it. LGR!

Kirst > shellenberger
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:53 pm Looks like a strong year for the Ivies. My ACC is looking overrated by comparison.
I hate to say it, but it's still very early in the season. Duke has had numerous slow starts, as has UVA. I do wonder if the ACC underestimated the level of competition they were going to face with Penn and Princeton.

That said, Carrol's performance against Duke was as strong as anyone's in the nation might be. Princeton's attack vs UNC was, similarly, as good as any in nation on Friday.

We'll see what Sunday brings.
Finster

Post by Finster »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:19 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:12 pm Nice win! Kirst is just a freak. Buczek set up a murderous schedule.. out of conference having to play the Irish and Syracuse will be rough. Looking forward to seeing out the big red handle it. LGR!

Kirst > shellenberger

Hard no. Don’t get me wrong, Kirst is great, but Shellenberger is THE guy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”