oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by oldbartman »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:07 pm New apology.... I mean podcast

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-75/167
You are starting to sound like me everytime Sahlen gives a presser after another Jets debacle.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
RussianTroll

Post by RussianTroll »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:07 pm New apology.... I mean podcast

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-75/167
That’s ok… it’s hard to spell podcast
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Tomorrow isn't a "must win," but it is a "must learn." I don't think Considine or Herlihy will be back by tomorrow. I hope Bach is healthy, but who knows. Coach seems to think Barthelme will be healthy. That puts (healthy) pressure on the young guys to step up. Peterkin is starting to feel it a bit, so I am hoping for a breakout game one of these days. Patterson is just plain good. If the pressure be relieved off of Datallas a bit, I think he can also find his groove again.
I am still hopeful that our D is gelling. I think Firth is better than other teams think, and when the other long poles start to coordinate all together, the D could hold well. It's odd to say that after a 23 point slaughter, but I think we are actually improving on D compared to where we were against Colgate (an admittedly low bar for us). RoMo is the right team for us to use to make that next step. I just hope Race is not injured. Wiemer is playing well, but we need depth at SSDM. The key stats to look at for me will be: turnovers (which erase any FO advantage we get), gb ... we've lost so many 50/50s over this season that they act as turnovers, plus shots on goal. I'd like us to have a high shot count again, but not just from outside of 10 yards and with a much higher on goal percentage. Those things are all manageable, analyzable, and achievable. If RoMo outplays us, so be it. But if we sabbotage ourselves, or laydown flat for a quarter, or fail to put away a team over which we build an advantage, it will forebode worse to come. On the other hand, if we can show improvement in those key areas, it would be a great first step to a better A10 season.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I didn't think that the podcast was apologetics. I thought it was a coach trying to pull something, anything positive out of a beatdown. You need to do that. What else is he supposed to do, curl up in a ball and cry and tell you the team sucks? I thought he struck just the right tone.

Here is a personnel thought that oldbartman and I have discussed. We are dreadfully thin at SSDM, even before Race got injured, and we are also very undersized at that position (see trying to match up with Cornell's #27). Since he's not exactly blowing things up on offense, why not stick Bach down there? He's got the size, strength, and would be great in transition. Just a thought. I have seen him back on defense on occasion already. Put the guys where you need them. We've got plenty of guys that can play o-middie. We don't (apparently) have many guys who can play SSDM effectively or they would have been out there already. I remember years back, probably in the T.W. era, we had a long pole named Mike O'Brien. He had actually been a starting close defenseman. They then gave him a short stick to shore up the position and he became a very effective SSDM. Got any likely candidates for that?

I like the fact that the coaches were not afraid to play young guys against Cornell. They've got to stick with that. It's the only way into the future.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Who invited that tool / troll?

End of day, team needs to get up and be ready for a RoMo team that always is a tough out. They are struggling also and badly need a win, so this one will come down to execution and ball control.

Coach summed up it best that Hobart mistakes led to Cornell goals. The bad shots, passes, turnovers, etc need to stop. Defense needs to slide and not leave the GK (whichever guy is in) out to dry.

Anyway, good luck to the Hobart hoops team as March Madness starts this afternoon. Their game is at 5:10 pm ET if you’re interested. Hockey goes to win another NEHC title tmw night at 7.

Go Bart!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

FL-GO wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:20 pm
Coach summed up it best that Hobart mistakes led to Cornell goals. The bad shots, passes, turnovers, etc need to stop. Defense needs to slide and not leave the GK (whichever guy is in) out to dry.

Been this way for years now, FL-GO, but nothing changes :roll: ..Defense does need to slide, but not in the guys face from the crease with no 2 slide. Agree with Ketch & oldbartman...give a couple of poles a short stick and allow us to matchup vs bigger middies. Need to be more physical, period.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

LFG tomorrow! I really want to see a solid showing and believe we will!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Bartfromboston wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:42 pm LFG tomorrow! I really want to see a solid showing and believe we will!
Fingers crossed..a loss today and a 3-10 season is likely—ouch!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

42 degrees and steady rain in Geneva. It's still scheduled for the Boz. I am concerned for sloppy play with wet strings, but this is also the perfect opportunity to pull it together. No Herlihy today. I heard Considine is out for the season.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

It was a sloppy game at times and I did get nervous when we blew a 4-1 lead, crapped the bed on a 2 man emo and let Romo tie the game in the 1st qtr. Still some dumb/bad shots being taken and poor Wilson took one where he didn’t need to but to his credit got back into the game.

Best offensive day of the season and guys like Valent really stepped up. Romo runs were answered quickly and overall we never trailed so that’s a big positive.

Albany will be desperate so hopefully we can fix the basic fundamentals that Raymond coached teams have lately seemed to lack and get back to .500.

Good win. Getting better but still need to iron out a lot of lax basics.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Happy for the team to get this win. Winning helps with confidence, which is so much of the game. It was good to see some more players on the field. Though that is due to the large amount of guys on the sideline not dressed. Way too many of them... While we got the "W", it was a sloppy win. Too many slow decisions and bad passes. There were way too many shots from 12+ yards out. When you take 9 shots , most from range, and only put 2 on cage, it's time to either pass or practice your shot. Too often plays would initiate the offense by dodging around with the ball in their stick for 20 seconds. Keeping the ball moving in the air seems to work a lot better .

On to Albany. The Scoobies will be hyper focused after falling to a tough UMass squad by 1. Hopefully the Oaks... I mean Ronnie's is still rocking as I write this. You earned it!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:39 pm Happy for the team to get this win. Winning helps with confidence, which is so much of the game. It was good to see some more players on the field. Though that is due to the large amount of guys on the sideline not dressed. Way too many of them... While we got the "W", it was a sloppy win. Too many slow decisions and bad passes. There were way too many shots from 12+ yards out. When you take 9 shots , most from range, and only put 2 on cage, it's time to either pass or practice your shot. Too often plays would initiate the offense by dodging around with the ball in their stick for 20 seconds. Keeping the ball moving in the air seems to work a lot better .

On to Albany. The Scoobies will be hyper focused after falling to a tough UMass squad by 1. Hopefully the Oaks... I mean Ronnie's is still rocking as I write this. You earned it!
Ditto OBM
man:down

Post by man:down »

Only caught pieces of the Robert Morris live stream but liked the young guys on D and at the face-off. That first year fogo should make Shea's life a lot easier - they seem to have the same engines. midfield must be banged up with the new faces they ran out there. Offense won't get away with all that one-on-one stuff agaisnt stronger teams. They need to hit more guys on the crease like they did a couple times Saturday. Might be a good idea to give Datellas some midfield runs to get him away from the other team's #1 long pole. Umass / Albany was close and Hobart could beat them both if they play correctly.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

FLT article on Saturday’s game:

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/mens-lac ... IK6nfb8xBY

In other news, Hobart got the 1 seed in the hockey tournament and will face winner of SUNY-Genesseo vs Curry (MA) on 3/16 in Geneva.
brodad

Post by brodad »

FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Good stuff - ROTW honors

Needs improvement- dead last in A10 with a .235 shooting %
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Heard about this in the podcast, but for those who missed it, Coach Terry Muffley passed last week: https://hwsathletics.com/news/2024/3/5/ ... ffley.aspx
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:02 pm Heard about this in the podcast, but for those who missed it, Coach Terry Muffley passed last week: https://hwsathletics.com/news/2024/3/5/ ... ffley.aspx
RIP Muff
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Latest podcast. Still have guys coming back "soon". Ted B. brings up our shooting. Albany awaits.....

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-76/168

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”