Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Games Today

Post by LaxDadMax »

njbill wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:02 pm Announcers don’t seem to know the new rule which, OK, I didn’t know until a week ago, that the reason UNC held the ball at the end of the half was because they are man up and will get the ball at the beginning of the second half. The more I see of this rule, the less I like it.
Curious why you don't like it. Been a men's rule for over a decade and don't think i've ever heard a complaint.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

wow..

Clemson's defense is bad. not a top 20 team in my opinion. Can't see them taking the next step in the Acc. Likely a tourney bubble team for me. Probably end with 7 losses and no top 25 wins.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

McLax9777 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:40 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:06 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:38 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:35 pm UNC did not look good at the offense side but their defense was amazing. Besides the free position goals, UNC really stopped Notre Dame from scoring loads like they usually do. We just needed the offense to click.
UNC got outshot 34-17 and also had 18 turnovers.
Wasn’t able to see the game but 18 TO’s.. that is uuuuuuuuugly
I feel like I said this last year about UNC no senior leadership to step up, to be the girl to put the team on her back, no one to preach composure and wait for the better shot. Not sure if its too many "me" players or chemistry issues . Also wondering how much McCool and Cordingley are doing on a coaching front. :?
UNC is an average college program now. Magic just isn’t there, and if they can’t do it with this group, who can they do it with. On the flip side, ND a looks good.
Nest year they will have injured players back and the sister to sister to sister talent will help.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:20 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:35 pm UNC did not look good at the offense side but their defense was amazing. Besides the free position goals, UNC really stopped Notre Dame from scoring loads like they usually do. We just needed the offense to click.
I feel like I said this last year about UNC no senior leadership to step up, to be the girl to put the team on her back, no one to preach composure and wait for the better shot. Not sure if its too many "me" players or chemistry issues . Also wondering how much McCool and Cordingley are doing on a coaching front. :?
UNC is an average college program now. Magic just isn’t there, and if they can’t do it with this group, who can they do it with. On the flip side, ND a looks good.
Nest year they will have injured players back and the sister to sister to sister talent will help.
I politely disagree. Each recruiting class is “the best” and they may have great players, but I guess it’s fair to say there are great players everywhere now. They have some top 23’s, enough talent to win a game. No magic
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

I’m wondering how hot the seat is getting for Missy at Penn State. It’s completely possible they only win two to four more games.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:16 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:02 pm Announcers don’t seem to know the new rule which, OK, I didn’t know until a week ago, that the reason UNC held the ball at the end of the half was because they are man up and will get the ball at the beginning of the second half. The more I see of this rule, the less I like it.
Curious why you don't like it. Been a men's rule for over a decade and don't think i've ever heard a complaint.
Not a fan of the men's game. At all. And I hate it when men's rules are brought over to the women's side. I've ranted about that quite a bit over the years. The men's game would be improved if they adopted women's rules. :lol:

Now, putting my rant and prejudice aside, I think a team already has an advantage by being player up. The card carries over. No need to double reward them with possession in the next period if they couldn't score in the preceding one. Just my view. The rules committee didn't ask me.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Big ten 5-1 vs acc. The money is starting to show.
njbill

Post by njbill »

McLax9777 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:28 pm
I politely disagree. Each recruiting class is “the best” and they may have great players, but I guess it’s fair to say there are great players everywhere now. They have some top 23’s, enough talent to win a game. No magic
Next year is a long ways away. Both NU and BC (not to mention ND) will graduate a boatload of talent, which could open things up for UNC in 2025. Injuries are part of the game, but the cumulative effect of a lot of injuries to key players can certainly depress a team's performance as I think is the case with the Tar Heels this year. How good would the 2024 team be if no one had gotten hurt? We'll never know, but I suspect top 5 or maybe top 3.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I said that all Sept and Oct. UNC 2025 recruiting was awesome. But four of those girls aren’t ever stepping onto that field. At least for UNC. Can’t just recruit the 8 best players and expect that to work these days. Have to recruit great players that fit into your team. Taking the best 8 midfielders don’t work anymore. At least my opinion.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

ultravisitor wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:31 pm So did other teams figure out the Denver defense before this season started?
They were only giving up 7 a game till UMD. Still good but the flag trimmed whites got 10 goals from 7 different players. The terp offense is just scratching the surface and you can see championship potential. The defense is prone to choking though.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:42 pm
I said that all Sept and Oct. UNC 2025 recruiting was awesome. But four of those girls aren’t ever stepping onto that field. At least for UNC. Can’t just recruit the 8 best players and expect that to work these days. Have to recruit great players that fit into your team. Taking the best 8 midfielders don’t work anymore. At least my opinion.

Agree to a degree. I would be surprised if 1/4 of the 25’s recruited see the field, ever. Now even more so with the redshirts. I would guess transfer portal for 25’s and maybe even 24’s will be busy.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

It looks like no chemistry issues for UNC, but when you cut mostly every game and feed. You’re used to it, but when ND shut down that, we struggled and couldn’t rlly find our usual footing. The defense looked amazing, and we could’ve done better without fouling and causing 8 meters.

We could’ve been top 3 without injuries, Humphrey’s talent is so good and had looked amazing. Walker-Welch is an amazing defender and White is an amazing attacker. Harden and Student both make amazing contributions too.

I think next year we are top 2. We might lose 6 graduates, and alittle more from the seniors who won’t return. But, if you think of the offensive talent we could be really good. If Wurzburger returns and Casey could return with her redshirt year and covid year, we have two amazing veterans. Walker Welch returns to the defense, Forest could be going for her first full season. Godine and White leading that junior class, while Humphrey, Ann Leonard, Ingrilli and O’Connor are back. We also have the top two recruits with Corkins and Ozburn, also Levy and Calabria. You have a strong offense with depth, but defense is where they struggle next season. But I think we can start to improve our players, Nelson will be a different GK and could get half playing time with Nicolas. I think next year will be when you should watch us more.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:04 pm It looks like no chemistry issues for UNC, but when you cut mostly every game and feed. You’re used to it, but when ND shut down that, we struggled and couldn’t rlly find our usual footing. The defense looked amazing, and we could’ve done better without fouling and causing 8 meters.

We could’ve been top 3 without injuries, Humphrey’s talent is so good and had looked amazing. Walker-Welch is an amazing defender and White is an amazing attacker. Harden and Student both make amazing contributions too.

I think next year we are top 2. We might lose 6 graduates, and alittle more from the seniors who won’t return. But, if you think of the offensive talent we could be really good. If Wurzburger returns and Casey could return with her redshirt year and covid year, we have two amazing veterans. Walker Welch returns to the defense, Forest could be going for her first full season. Godine and White leading that junior class, while Humphrey, Ann Leonard, Ingrilli and O’Connor are back. We also have the top two recruits with Corkins and Ozburn, also Levy and Calabria. You have a strong offense with depth, but defense is where they struggle next season. But I think we can start to improve our players, Nelson will be a different GK and could get half playing time with Nicolas. I think next year will be when you should watch us more.
If this was any other college other than UNC I’d agree.
They get a lot solid talent, everyone should be the next big thing. All these top 10 colleges should have a deep bench, UNC has been put on a pedestal so there really is no excuse IMO. I don’t think next year is going to be that much different as I think Ingrilli is as good as Humphrey.
It would be a shame for them not to use Ingrilli after she stepped up just to play sister /sister with the two Humphreys. Btw nothing kills chemistry more than a teammate holding the ball until their sister is open.
Like I said, just my opinion but I think magic left when Ortega and Geirsbach left. They could do no wrong.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

McLax9777 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:00 pm

Agree to a degree. I would be surprised if 1/4 of the 25’s recruited see the field, ever. Now even more so with the redshirts. I would guess transfer portal for 25’s and maybe even 24’s will be busy.
I respectfully disagree, they have recruited 7 players who are coming next season, But 6 of those players are 5-stars. They have 3 of the top 4 recruits. UNC barely had more than 1 or 2 players transfer out, I expect maybe GK to transfer out. But, you gotta realize, after next year Nicolas will graduate, meaning Nelson is the top option or even Zenk. So both could stay knowing the GK option is open. The Midfield and defense will be weak after the graduation of multiple players, so that’ll open more playing time. I expect to all 6 of those 5-stars to see some type of playing time and return the next year and even Haley Carver the other recruit to stay.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

McLax9777 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:13 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:04 pm It looks like no chemistry issues for UNC, but when you cut mostly every game and feed. You’re used to it, but when ND shut down that, we struggled and couldn’t rlly find our usual footing. The defense looked amazing, and we could’ve done better without fouling and causing 8 meters.

They get a lot solid talent, everyone should be the next big thing. All these top 10 colleges should have a deep bench, UNC has been put on a pedestal so there really is no excuse IMO. I don’t think next year is going to be that much different as I think Ingrilli is as good as Humphrey.
It would be a shame for them not to use Ingrilli after she stepped up just to play sister /sister with the two Humphreys. Btw nothing kills chemistry more than a teammate holding the ball until their sister is open.
Like I said, just my opinion but I think magic left when Ortega and Geirsbach left. They could do no wrong.
The 2022 team was one of the most in Carolina History. Ingrilli and Humphrey are the best freshman we got this year, injury or not. Also Nicole will probably be a come off the bench player with the attack next season. I see us being so good, with the amount of offense returning and coming in. 6 5-stars coming in, also the #1 recruit in 2023 returning from injury, our #1 scorer from last season and a new #1 defender for us returning from injury after Nalls graduates.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:14 pm
McLax9777 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:00 pm

I respectfully disagree, they have recruited 7 players who are coming next season, But 6 of those players are 5-stars. They have 3 of the top 4 recruits. UNC barely had more than 1 or 2 players transfer out, I expect maybe GK to transfer out. But, you gotta realize, after next year Nicolas will graduate, meaning Nelson is the top option or even Zenk. So both could stay knowing the GK option is open. The Midfield and defense will be weak after the graduation of multiple players, so that’ll open more playing time. I expect to all 6 of those 5-stars to see some type of playing time and return the next year and even Haley Carver the other recruit to stay.
Talking about the 2025 class more than the 24’s. We shall see
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:17 pm

The 2022 team was one of the most in Carolina History. Ingrilli and Humphrey are the best freshman we got this year, injury or not. Also Nicole will probably be a come off the bench player with the attack next season. I see us being so good, with the amount of offense returning and coming in. 6 5-stars coming in, also the #1 recruit in 2023 returning from injury, our #1 scorer from last season and a new #1 defender for us returning from injury after Nalls graduates.

All the best classes but only 3 natties all time. UMD has 14 and NW has 8. NW never has a top ranked class. UNC seems to disappear top recruits and have lots of injuries. This particular group is big and slow. If ND could shoot it would have been a blowout.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Wurtz cannot come back -- 4 years and out. No covid considerations...
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

** there will be 3 Humphreys next year!
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

I’m not putting much stock into the 5 star ratings I’m seeing for teams like UNC, as I just don’t buy lists that ILW is trying to push down my throat. As hard as they may try I’m not on board with Betty Nelson being the top 5 star goalie of the 2023 class. Same holds true with the other recruits.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”