ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by Finster »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:36 pm Tremendous night for the Ivys. Princeton dominant on GBs, quicker all over the field, much less careless with passes than UNC. The two hit to the head calls were horrific, the first was basically elbow to elbow and the second shoulder to shoulder. Very glad those didn’t decide the game. Man, Tigers are going to be a load the next few years. I would post this on UNC but don’t want to appear as though I’m trying a hot take when I really am not. Did anyone see much of Pietramala in high school? Is he still slowed from his injury? What was his game in high school? He looks like a big, slow guy with a big step down shot that he needs to be open for and like someone who bullied/backed down small Dmen in high school. I don’t see anything like a player who was ranked #1 or 2 in his class. I just saw this one game so a very harsh judgement but it wasn’t the lack of productivity but the apparent lack of quickness/movement to threaten a good D1 Dman. Anyway, amazing night of lax for the league.

Re: Pietremala. Definitely not the swiftest but has a cannon. He needs to be in the right system to excel, or he’ll force situations that he shouldn’t be in. That one school Boys Latin has produced Wisnauskas, Grimes, and Pietremala. Kind of similar players. Obviously Tillman got Wisnauskas in a system that was tailor made for him. Grimes looks better this year. I really don’t know enough about UNC to offer any advice other than figure out your optimal offensive system, then plug and play those players which give you the best result. Reading the UNC board makes me think that team lacks an offensive identity?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am
Ozstriker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 pm Huge Quaker victory! The team played super hard. A lot of young players stepping up. Good for Murph and Co. Then Princeton smokes UNc. Great night for the League. Will be a huge help with RPI of the League all year, assuming Duke and UNCbeat some ACC schools.
I’m not sure that Duke has ever had to play that much defense in a game. Between Penn winning faceoffs and Duke failed clears that defense was gassed. In the opening minutes the Duke Defense was pressing out and causing a ton of turnovers. After the first quarter that stopped happening. Penn looked to be in better condition and just smoked the Dukies. So much fun to watch.

I’ve only watched two UNC games this year but I don’t have high hopes that they will win a single game in conference. Terrible defense and brutal make-shift offense. They look like a team that was put together for a weekend in Lake Placid. Good thing they got rid of that stiff OC Dave Metzbower. How’s he doing now?
I was thinking that as well. During the first quarter the Duke D looked pretty intimidating. Don't know if it was conditioning, or simple physics -- big bodies require more energy to operate at a high cadence. Maybe it was conditioning, maybe it was just lackawanna.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

With the justified praise for last night, objectivity requires noting that Dartmouth looks terrible again vs Sienna, they don’t look like they belong in the same field as Penn or Princeton

Edit: That’s better! But to go down 5-0 to Sienna is not a level of play that is going to cut it in league games.
Dosadi

Post by Dosadi »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:33 am With the justified praise for last night, objectivity requires noting that Dartmouth looks terrible again vs Sienna, they don’t look like they belong in the same field as Penn or Princeton

Edit: That’s better! But to go down 5-0 to Sienna is not a level of play that is going to cut it in league games.
I’d agree that it won’t - and they had same happen vs. Bucknell. But recall that Harvard went down 8-1 to Bucknell before rallying, and didn’t look good during that stretch. The 5-1 run suggested better play to come
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:33 am With the justified praise for last night, objectivity requires noting that Dartmouth looks terrible again vs Sienna, they don’t look like they belong in the same field as Penn or Princeton

I wonder. Last year they bussed to Hobart the morning-early afternoon of the game and after a 5 hour bus ride with a box lunch got taken apart in the 1st period something like 7-1. Came back and won by 3. Did they stay in Albany last night? Or did they leave Hanover for a bus ride at 7AM for an 11 AM start with a box breakfast as opposed to a box lunch? They were sure sluggish enough in the 1st.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

I see Cornell has started the dancing, not passing problem.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Dosadi

Post by Dosadi »

Yale making an early statement
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Dosadi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:00 pm Yale making an early statement

And Penn Sate responding strongly. 10-7 Yale now.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

On a somewhat tangential note, does anyone recall/know if the ESPN tab has always been such a CPU and memory hog? I don't recall this from last season. Some new "improvements?"
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Long is shredding his defender, Kirst as well, but Long especially.
Dosadi

Post by Dosadi »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:20 pm

Nice reply by Yale - 13-9 end third.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Dosadi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 pm

Game in OT
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

If JHU holds on and beats U VA that would be 5 straight Out of Conference losses for ACC…..when ? Has that ever happened? Anybody know? I can’t remember 4/in a row.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:02 pm
Dosadi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 pm

Game in OT
Penn State comes back from down 7 goals to win in OT.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Not sure if I was more surprised by Penn's win or Cornell's loss, but I'm definitely most disappointed by Yale's loss.

My predictions were poor, and I think I'm out of that business.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:41 pm Not sure if I was more surprised by Penn's win or Cornell's loss, but I'm definitely most disappointed by Yale's loss.

My predictions were poor, and I think I'm out of that business.
Extremely disappointing loss in a game that was theirs. Also, Cornell won, unless you mean the Denver game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, I'm happy for Cornell, and I picked them to win by three. Not sure what I meant; maybe that Penn State-Yale game really discombobulated me.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:52 pm Well, I'm happy for Cornell, and I picked them to win by three. Not sure what I meant; maybe that Penn State-Yale game really discombobulated me.
I am sure you will get recombobulated in time for the next one. With what looks to be a very tough year at the top of the Ivy again, man, that would have been a nice resume win for Yale come tourney selection time
molo

Post by molo »

Will Penn and Princeton win again tomorrow? Penn Shonda be favored over UNC, who will have trouble with any good teams on thru schedule until they make some significant changes. The erstwhile number one could give Princeton a game.
I’m not quite sure how I rank Cornell after pulling away from Brutus, who will be in the bottom half of conference that includes excellent Maryland and Hopkins teams and a resurgent Penn State team that seems to have overcome the issues that leg to a perplexing loss against Gate. Yale still looks good to me in a year in which one good team wonder make the Ivy tournament.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Some strong performances in the Ivy League this weekend against a wide range of opponents:

Offense (single games):

CJ Kirst, Cornell: (7,1) 8 points (vs TOSU)
Sam King, Harvard: (5,2) 7 points (vs Siena)
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: (5,2) 7 points (vs UNC) [(2,2), 4 points vs Duke)]
Michael Long, Cornell: (3,4) 7 points (vs TOSU)
David Anderson, Yale: (5,0) 5 points
Luke Dinola, Penn: (3,2) 5 points (vs Duke)
Sam King, Harvard: (3,2) 5 points (vs Merrimack)
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (3,2) 5 points (vs Hobart)
Ben Smith, Penn: (3,2) 5 points (vs Duke)
Hopper Zappitello, Dartmouth: (2,3) 5 points (vs Siena)
Miles Botkiss, Harvard: (1,4) 5 points (vs Merrimack)
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (1,4) 5 points

Face-off (single games):

Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 14/19, 74% (vs Siena)
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 13/20, 65% (vs Duke)
Andrew Degenero, Harvard: 14/22, 64% (vs Merrimack)
Machero Rodriguez, Yale: 12/19, 63%
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 9/15, 60% (vs Hobart)
Chris Arceri, Penn: 10/17, 59% (vs Duke)
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 11/19, 58% (vs Lehigh)
Nicholas Ramsey, Yale: 8/14, 57%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 10/18, 56%

Goalies (single games):

Wyatt Knust, Cornell: 10 saves, 67% (vs Hobart)
Emmet Carroll, Penn: 17 saves, 59% (vs Duke)
Michael Gianfocaro, Princeton: 12 saves, 57% (vs UNC)
Wyatt Knust, Cornell: 13 saves, 54% (vs TOSU)
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 17 saves, 50% (vs Duke)
Jared Paquette, Yale: 15 saves, 50%

I capped the offensive statistics at five points. This omitted some strong performances.
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”