ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by The Orfling »

faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 pm
The Orfling wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:21 pm Wow -- with much of the second half left to play and Princeton up 11 - 6, Mackesy has 5 goals and Kabiri has 4. That's quite a 1-2 punch. Those guys are unconscious right now.
Princeton got a one minute no release penalty for an illegal body check to the head... the replay showed no contact to the head... UNC scores on man up... 11-7. UNC gets another on the man up... 11--8...
That was a real swing and a miss from the guys in stripes. Hopefully it doesn't ended up being the big momentum changer in this one when it was such a lame call.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:21 pm Wow -- with much of the second half left to play and Princeton up 11 - 6, Mackesy has 5 goals and Kabiri has 4. That's quite a 1-2 punch. Those guys are unconscious right now.
Princeton got a one minute no release penalty for an illegal body check to the head... the replay showed no contact to the head... UNC scores on man up... 11-7. UNC gets another on the man up... 11--8...
Pretty bad call. Home cooking? Seems like will not affect the final result.

How much did the weather impact games tonight? a lot of slipping sliding and other weird stuff.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

So sorry,

but Ivy League teams just don’t have ath-a-letes.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:39 pm

How much did the weather impact games tonight? a lot of slipping sliding and other weird stuff.
Another illegal check called when Tarheel helmet came off... respectfully, it looked like the UNC player didn't have his helmet properly buckled.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Kind of an obvious point but still worth making: the two goalies playing for the Ivies tonight (Carroll and Gianforcaro) are arguably in the top 3 - 5 nationally (along with ND's Entenmann and Maryland's McNaney). Penn and Princeton will have a chance in every game this year with those guys as their backstops.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:53 pm

Another illegal check called when Tarheel helmet came off... respectfully, it looked like the UNC player didn't have his helmet properly buckled.
Luckily Princeton is just walloping UNC at this point so it doesn't matter.
molo

Post by molo »

He did not have it buckled. Tough night for the ACC. Emperors forgot their clothes.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Meh, all of the teams are "enjoying" the same circumstance.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:55 pm Kind of an obvious point but still worth making: the two goalies playing for the Ivies tonight (Carroll and Gianforcaro) are arguably in the top 3 - 5 nationally (along with ND's Entenmann and Maryland's McNaney). Penn and Princeton will have a chance in every game this year with those guys as their backstops.
Not sure about Carroll, looks like a guesser despite the win. We will see. I will watch more Penn games. I love good goalie play.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

After this evening, can't wait for the league play.

Oh, and they should ban artificial turf and only play on grass. And maybe add some sprinklers...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I guess Penn and Princeton didn’t realize that they don’t have ACC athletes.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 pm
The Orfling wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:55 pm Kind of an obvious point but still worth making: the two goalies playing for the Ivies tonight (Carroll and Gianforcaro) are arguably in the top 3 - 5 nationally (along with ND's Entenmann and Maryland's McNaney). Penn and Princeton will have a chance in every game this year with those guys as their backstops.
Not sure about Carroll, looks like a guesser despite the win. We will see. I will watch more Penn games. I love good goalie play.
Keep your eye on Carroll. IMHO, he's the real deal. He made 33 saves in six quarters last week, 17 saves tonight. I do tend to agree that Gianforcaro has the edge between the two of them.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Tremendous night for the Ivys. Princeton dominant on GBs, quicker all over the field, much less careless with passes than UNC. The two hit to the head calls were horrific, the first was basically elbow to elbow and the second shoulder to shoulder. Very glad those didn’t decide the game. Man, Tigers are going to be a load the next few years. I would post this on UNC but don’t want to appear as though I’m trying a hot take when I really am not. Did anyone see much of Pietramala in high school? Is he still slowed from his injury? What was his game in high school? He looks like a big, slow guy with a big step down shot that he needs to be open for and like someone who bullied/backed down small Dmen in high school. I don’t see anything like a player who was ranked #1 or 2 in his class. I just saw this one game so a very harsh judgement but it wasn’t the lack of productivity but the apparent lack of quickness/movement to threaten a good D1 Dman. Anyway, amazing night of lax for the league.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:36 pm Tremendous night for the Ivys. Princeton dominant on GBs, quicker all over the field, much less careless with passes than UNC. The two hit to the head calls were horrific, the first was basically elbow to elbow and the second shoulder to shoulder. Very glad those didn’t decide the game. Man, Tigers are going to be a load the next few years. I would post this on UNC but don’t want to appear as though I’m trying a hot take when I really am not. Did anyone see much of Pietramala in high school? Is he still slowed from his injury? What was his game in high school? He looks like a big, slow guy with a big step down shot that he needs to be open for and like someone who bullied/backed down small Dmen in high school. I don’t see anything like a player who was ranked #1 or 2 in his class. I just saw this one game so a very harsh judgement but it wasn’t the lack of productivity but the apparent lack of quickness/movement to threaten a good D1 Dman. Anyway, amazing night of lax for the league.
A properly buckled helmet doesn't pop off like that from a shoulder check.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:42 pm
pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:36 pm Tremendous night for the Ivys. Princeton dominant on GBs, quicker all over the field, much less careless with passes than UNC. The two hit to the head calls were horrific, the first was basically elbow to elbow and the second shoulder to shoulder. Very glad those didn’t decide the game. Man, Tigers are going to be a load the next few years. I would post this on UNC but don’t want to appear as though I’m trying a hot take when I really am not. Did anyone see much of Pietramala in high school? Is he still slowed from his injury? What was his game in high school? He looks like a big, slow guy with a big step down shot that he needs to be open for and like someone who bullied/backed down small Dmen in high school. I don’t see anything like a player who was ranked #1 or 2 in his class. I just saw this one game so a very harsh judgement but it wasn’t the lack of productivity but the apparent lack of quickness/movement to threaten a good D1 Dman. Anyway, amazing night of lax for the league.
A properly buckled helmet doesn't pop off like that from a shoulder check.
Time to add random spot checks of the chin strap to the stick check? Say, 1 min unreleasable if violated?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Duke looked bad,

'course, some of that or even a lot was due to the Quakers high energy play,

but also, Duke did not look good at all.
Ozstriker

Post by Ozstriker »

Huge Quaker victory! The team played super hard. A lot of young players stepping up. Good for Murph and Co. Then Princeton smokes UNc. Great night for the League. Will be a huge help with RPI of the League all year, assuming Duke and UNCbeat some ACC schools.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Ozstriker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 pm Huge Quaker victory! The team played super hard. A lot of young players stepping up. Good for Murph and Co. Then Princeton smokes UNc. Great night for the League. Will be a huge help with RPI of the League all year, assuming Duke and UNCbeat some ACC schools.
I’m not sure that Duke has ever had to play that much defense in a game. Between Penn winning faceoffs and Duke failed clears that defense was gassed. In the opening minutes the Duke Defense was pressing out and causing a ton of turnovers. After the first quarter that stopped happening. Penn looked to be in better condition and just smoked the Dukies. So much fun to watch.

I’ve only watched two UNC games this year but I don’t have high hopes that they will win a single game in conference. Terrible defense and brutal make-shift offense. They look like a team that was put together for a weekend in Lake Placid. Good thing they got rid of that stiff OC Dave Metzbower. How’s he doing now?
coda

Post by coda »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am
Ozstriker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 pm Huge Quaker victory! The team played super hard. A lot of young players stepping up. Good for Murph and Co. Then Princeton smokes UNc. Great night for the League. Will be a huge help with RPI of the League all year, assuming Duke and UNCbeat some ACC schools.
I’m not sure that Duke has ever had to play that much defense in a game. Between Penn winning faceoffs and Duke failed clears that defense was gassed. In the opening minutes the Duke Defense was pressing out and causing a ton of turnovers. After the first quarter that stopped happening. Penn looked to be in better condition and just smoked the Dukies. So much fun to watch.

I’ve only watched two UNC games this year but I don’t have high hopes that they will win a single game in conference. Terrible defense and brutal make-shift offense. They look like a team that was put together for a weekend in Lake Placid. Good thing they got rid of that stiff OC Dave Metzbower. How’s he doing now?
Duke was just amazingly sloppy. Granted the conditions were bad, but just ugly overall play.

UNC is more likely to be without a coach when the tournament starts, than to be in it.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:16 pm I guess Penn and Princeton didn’t realize that they don’t have ACC athletes.

lol.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”