Opening week thoughts?

D2 Mens Lacrosse
LaxDad42

Opening week thoughts?

Post by LaxDad42 »

Long time lurker, first time posting..

Watched the games this weekend and thought there were some good games.

Two things that stood out for me where:
1. Florida Southern over Wingate— great game, does Florida Southern have it to make the tourney this year?

2. Alabama-Huntsville gave UIndy a great run for a heck of a good game. Game seemed to be closer than the final. Will this game cause UIndy to drop or will UAH possibly receive votes for a good showing?

Anyone have any thoughts on any games this past weekend?

Excited the season is back and look for some great commentary and conversation from everyone here!
shaadb-man

Re: Opening week thoughts?

Post by shaadb-man »

Division 2 now runs through the south. LR looks to be the team to beat again, sharp on offensive for the start of February. Florida Southern is definitely a tournament contender and looking at last year and this game for Wingate looks like people have learned to limit their 2 main guys and theres not much after that. Limestone is going to be there at the end of the year. I thought the opposite as you LaxDad that Indy score was closer than the actual game. After slow start it was all Indy and the lopsided stats definitely support that. Not sure they are on par with last year though. Fun first weekend.
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Flagler taking that next step and beating Lynn...true freshman scoring the game winner. Looks like they are on the up in a very competitive south! Dominican (CA) off to a great start back in Division II as they beat 2 Colorado teams. Anderson, LR, Limestone, and Rollins all taking care of business, but no real surprises there.

Anyone else a little surprised that Wheeling beat Post by 4 and Coker only beating Emmanual (GA) by 3? I guess with both of their coaches from last year gone...that could have been expected.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

shaadb-man wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 am Division 2 now runs through the south. LR looks to be the team to beat again, sharp on offensive for the start of February. Florida Southern is definitely a tournament contender and looking at last year and this game for Wingate looks like people have learned to limit their 2 main guys and theres not much after that. Limestone is going to be there at the end of the year. I thought the opposite as you LaxDad that Indy score was closer than the actual game. After slow start it was all Indy and the lopsided stats definitely support that. Not sure they are on par with last year though. Fun first weekend.
Indy lefty stud Wyatt Auyer was poised to take the next step this year but tore his ACL at the end of fall. Natural goal scorer was becoming more of a ball handler/distributor.

#31 and #11 are both off ball guys. They need a legit ball handler at attack. I think LR will crush them next weekend.
D2LaxMan44!

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

shaadb-man wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 am Division 2 now runs through the south. LR looks to be the team to beat again, sharp on offensive for the start of February. Florida Southern is definitely a tournament contender and looking at last year and this game for Wingate looks like people have learned to limit their 2 main guys and theres not much after that. Limestone is going to be there at the end of the year. I thought the opposite as you LaxDad that Indy score was closer than the actual game. After slow start it was all Indy and the lopsided stats definitely support that. Not sure they are on par with last year though. Fun first weekend.
I think it’s a little early to say D2 runs through either region. Only a small percent have played a game and none were even across regions. The Wingate vs Florida Southern was the only game of real note being two top 20 ranked teams. Give it a few more weeks and we’ll see who the real top of D2 are.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

D2LaxMan44! wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:29 pm
I think it’s a little early to say D2 runs through either region. Only a small percent have played a game and none were even across regions. The Wingate vs Florida Southern was the only game of real note being two top 20 ranked teams. Give it a few more weeks and we’ll see who the real top of D2 are.
With all the losses in the North, it is hard to say that it doesn't run through the South.

You are talking about losing Le Moyne, LIU Post, Merrimack, NYIT, even Dowling.

Mercy lost Levine and they took a dip last year. I am expecting a similar drop-off from Mercyhurst now that Ryan has moved on.

That is seven programs affected who were always in the hunt for a National Championship.
D2LaxMan44!

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

D2fan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:57 pm
With all the losses in the North, it is hard to say that it doesn't run through the South.

Mercy lost Levine and they took a dip last year. I am expecting a similar drop-off from Mercyhurst now that Ryan has moved on.

That is seven programs affected who were always in the hunt for a National Championship.
Everyone but LeMoyne you named there has been gone for atleast 4 years now if not longer.

Mercy’s “dip” was a 14-4 season with losses only to Mercyhurst, LeMoyne, Adelphi, and St A’s (all top 10 teams). Most teams would love that season and not many teams can say they played that difficult of a schedule.

Mercyhurst we’ll see I’m sure they will reload as they are a well know strongly supported program.

The north you can still say has very equal quality as the south in terms of top teams. South has Limestone, LR, Tampa, Wingate, Rollins. North has Adelphi, Mercyhurst, Saint Anselm, Bentley, Seton Hill, Mercy. I also think outside the premier teams you could say there is more quality in the north just based on established conferences and programs.

Wish some more teams from the north and south would play each other during the regular season to make the comparison easier. Adelphi and LR play on 2/24. So that will be an interesting marker!
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

D2LaxMan44! wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:27 pm

Everyone but LeMoyne you named there has been gone for atleast 4 years now if not longer.

Mercy’s “dip” was a 14-4 season with losses only to Mercyhurst, LeMoyne, Adelphi, and St A’s (all top 10 teams). Most teams would love that season and not many teams can say they played that difficult of a schedule.

Mercyhurst we’ll see I’m sure they will reload as they are a well know strongly supported program.

The north you can still say has very equal quality as the south in terms of top teams. South has Limestone, LR, Tampa, Wingate, Rollins. North has Adelphi, Mercyhurst, Saint Anselm, Bentley, Seton Hill, Mercy. I also think outside the premier teams you could say there is more quality in the north just based on established conferences and programs.

Wish some more teams from the north and south would play each other during the regular season to make the comparison easier. Adelphi and LR play on 2/24. So that will be an interesting marker!
I think especially with the loss of Le Moyne it runs through the south. Not sure about the top teams being of equal quality. Six of the top 10 out of the south LR, Limestone, Tampa, Rollins, Florida Southern, Wingate. Last two champions from the south. LR 20-5 in the championship last year. We will see.The North teams mentioned are very good, but I would give the edge to the south.
D2LaxMan44!

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

Pitt12 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:47 pm
D2LaxMan44! wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:27 pm

I think especially with the loss of Le Moyne it runs through the south. Not sure about the top teams being of equal quality. Six of the top 10 out of the south LR, Limestone, Tampa, Rollins, Florida Southern, Wingate. Last two champions from the south. LR 20-5 in the championship last year. We will see.The North teams mentioned are very good, but I would give the edge to the south.
I guess all I meant was. I don’t think we can say D2 runs through either until we’re a few weeks in and meaningful games have been played. Pre season rankings mean nothing and it’s a 6/10 vs 4/10 split so 1 team swaying to the south.

Last two have been south but if we’re going to look at past years and historically. D2 is the north…and Limestone haha.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

I hear you. Should be an interesting season.
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Anyone watch the Southern vs. Montevallo game? Any insight on what happened? Shocking that Southern beats Wingate last week and then loses in OT to Montevallo.
Bob Lawblaw

Post by Bob Lawblaw »

MajorMacLax18 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm Anyone watch the Southern vs. Montevallo game? Any insight on what happened? Shocking that Southern beats Wingate last week and then loses in OT to Montevallo.
I watched it. I was pretty shocked at that game. The first quarter was all Montevallo. Montevallo won probably 80% of the faceoffs and the score got up to 8 to 1 at one point.

In the second half, Florida Southern must have won about 80% of faceoffs. With 7 min left in the game, Montevallo were up by 7. Florida Southern scored with about 6 seconds left on a man down to tie the game and take it to OT. Was a pretty entertaining game and certainly a different outcome than expected.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Molloy is for real.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Bob Lawblaw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:57 pm
MajorMacLax18 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm Anyone watch the Southern vs. Montevallo game? Any insight on what happened? Shocking that Southern beats Wingate last week and then loses in OT to Montevallo.
I watched it. I was pretty shocked at that game. The first quarter was all Montevallo. Montevallo won probably 80% of the faceoffs and the score got up to 8 to 1 at one point.

In the second half, Florida Southern must have won about 80% of faceoffs. With 7 min left in the game, Montevallo were up by 7. Florida Southern scored with about 6 seconds left on a man down to tie the game and take it to OT. Was a pretty entertaining game and certainly a different outcome than expected.
Florida Southern looked like they went on a multi-day bender after beating Wingate. Will be interesting to see how they rebound going to Limestone.

I can see that game going either way.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

D2fan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:36 am
Bob Lawblaw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:57 pm

Florida Southern looked like they went on a multi-day bender after beating Wingate. Will be interesting to see how they rebound going to Limestone.

I can see that game going either way.
Not even close against Stone.
MajorMacLax18

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Week 3 Poll by USA Lacrosse
https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... I9Xlp6eczY

No offense here, but PBA in the top 20?!?! Do these guys writing this poll even watch lacrosse? PBA barely won against D3 Farmingdale State...and the two other wins are against Emmanuel (Ga.) and Chowan.

Two teams who deserve to be in the top 20 are Maryville or Flagler. Maryville played a great game against Wingate and lost by 1. Flagler is 3-2 this year...all against top to middle SSC teams. Losing a heartbreaker to Florida Southern this past weekend.

Stop just looking at records USA Lacrosse and actually do some research!
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Past weekend's biggest game was #1 LR beat Adelphi 7-3 in a low scoring game. 4-1 LR at halftime. Looks like the South runs D2. :lol:

FWIW, Newberry beat Belmont 18-8. I think they're a sneaky team to watch out for this year. 5th year and senior contributors all over. They also beat Lynn 22-6 and UMO 17-6 so far. SAC should be interesting this year.

PBA in top 20 is a joke. At least first year program CUI has a huge chance of beating a top 20 in their first season on 2/29.
Bob Lawblaw

Post by Bob Lawblaw »

MajorMacLax18 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 pm Week 3 Poll by USA Lacrosse
https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... I9Xlp6eczY

No offense here, but PBA in the top 20?!?! Do these guys writing this poll even watch lacrosse? PBA barely won against D3 Farmingdale State...and the two other wins are against Emmanuel (Ga.) and Chowan.

Two teams who deserve to be in the top 20 are Maryville or Flagler. Maryville played a great game against Wingate and lost by 1. Flagler is 3-2 this year...all against top to middle SSC teams. Losing a heartbreaker to Florida Southern this past weekend.

Stop just looking at records USA Lacrosse and actually do some research!

This poll is always out to lunch IMO. A week or two back, they had Lander go from 19 to 15 because they beat Emmanuel (GA) decently. Then they get stomped by Limestone and win a pretty close one against Barton - which keeps them at 15.

Then you have Maryville drop out of the top 20 because they lost a 1 goal game to Wingate....and PBA in the top 20? What the heck They shouldn't be in the conversation.

Pretty much a garbage poll IMO.
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

For as much talent as Florida Tech has, they've massively underachieved. Looking lost and confused in end of half and end of game situations. That lack of preparation boils down to coaching.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”