~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by 1766 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:45 am
Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 pm
Laxfam4life86 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm And this is where you are wrong. You would think it would be a tough week for those players who continuously make the same mistakes that should not be repeatedly occurring at this level. Almost no repercussions, glossed over at practice and the same kids will assume their positions the next game. It used to be cleaner and more aggressive because the kids respected the senior leaders on the team. Think Pat Spencer days. True leaders off and on the field. Right now you have kids sitting there thinking at some point the sloppy play won’t be tolerated and Van or Toomey will switch things up…. Nope. Toomey will whisper to the kids just enough encouragement or insinuate eminent play that will never come. Untapped talent all over the sideline and mediocrity on the field.
Yes. Another “play the bench” guy. Great. I’m sure there’s a top 10 team just sitting there watching each game. If only this bad coaching staff would play them. They’re “4 stars” fergodsakes!!! Didn’t you see their HS highlight videos on YouTube??!!
Not a “play the bench guy” but am a “why haven’t the four star recruits developed enough to play” guy. Either it’s bad recruiting or bad coaching. When a smaller school like Loyola gets high end recruits they need to develop and play. It’s like missing on first round draft picks in football.
You might as well throw darts against a dart board ranking high school lacrosse players. Outside of a handful those stars don't mean much. The level of scouting leaves a lot to be desired. It's few guys who can't possibly see the amount of players out there with any regularity. I'd put far more trust on the coaches who see the players in practice every day. This is their job. Their livelihood depends on putting the best product they can on the field. If Johnny Four Star isn't producing, it probably says something about the player.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:52 pm
Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 pm
Laxfam4life86 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm And this is where you are wrong. You would think it would be a tough week for those players who continuously make the same mistakes that should not be repeatedly occurring at this level. Almost no repercussions, glossed over at practice and the same kids will assume their positions the next game. It used to be cleaner and more aggressive because the kids respected the senior leaders on the team. Think Pat Spencer days. True leaders off and on the field. Right now you have kids sitting there thinking at some point the sloppy play won’t be tolerated and Van or Toomey will switch things up…. Nope. Toomey will whisper to the kids just enough encouragement or insinuate eminent play that will never come. Untapped talent all over the sideline and mediocrity on the field.
Yes. Another “play the bench” guy. Great. I’m sure there’s a top 10 team just sitting there watching each game. If only this bad coaching staff would play them. They’re “4 stars” fergodsakes!!! Didn’t you see their HS highlight videos on YouTube??!!
+1

I love how the "play the bench" guys around here know exactly what's happening at closed practices, with kids attitudes, injuries, work ethics, and in the meeting and weight room for the past 8 mos.

Lax Fam 86 and those guys clearly know more than the coaching staff.

So Kram and others are happy with the current offensive output, happy with how the players have progressed and developed from their freshman year to their senior year. From going to the playoffs to sitting at home. Van and Charlie cannot do any more to get these players ready to play. Some posters are okay with medicority

No one has said play the bench guys, When you are getting blown out or you are up, you need to give the others playtime. It is glaringly obvious that the players playing now cannot get it done.

For some reason, this team was ready to play against Gtown, and took advantage of Gtown's mistakes.

This is the same path they took last year
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

I would love to know what Houndfan73 and Kram think the problems are with this team.

Van is an offensive wizard and Loyola is loaded with a veteran offense, why are they struggling? And I do not want to hear it is the competition, because they beat Georgetown who just knocked off ND.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

If you don't understand the weekly ebbs and flows of a lacrosse season, personalities of a team on a yearly basis etc. I cant explain it to you.
I have plenty of feelings about the Loyola team, what I would do different as a coach.
But I know that's all from 20K feet. I'm not going with all the information. I'm not in the lockerroom or on practice field.
And neither are you.
I have played for Charlie and coach college. So I know there is more than one reason or explanation for any performance. Good or bad.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:37 pm If you don't understand the weekly ebbs and flows of a lacrosse season, personalities of a team on a yearly basis etc. I cant explain it to you.
I have plenty of feelings about the Loyola team, what I would do different as a coach.
But I know that's all from 20K feet. I'm not going with all the information. I'm not in the lockerroom or on practice field.
And neither are you.
I have played for Charlie and coach college. So I know there is more than one reason or explanation for any performance. Good or bad.
Believe me I understand the weekly ebbs and flows. I played for Charlie from 2007-2009. Never played for Van but respect him a ton. My concern is lack of development in offense. As I posted previously every midfielder who plays regularly has regressed over their 4 or 5 years at Loyola. Just look at the stats. Higgins, Kamish, Bateman, Wigley, Seay, Lindsey, etc…. In addition the four star recruits like Dixon, McGorry, Murphy, Cote, West etc… either were poorly recruited or poorly developed because they rarely play. So is it poor recruiting or poor development? To me regression of veterans along with the lack of giving younger guys who they recruited an opportunity to play is on the staff. Stats don’t lie. There is way too much talent on this team. As Laxforlife86 (who clearly has a kid on this team) said there are no ramifications for poor play of veterans. They stay in the lineup week after week.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:37 pm If you don't understand the weekly ebbs and flows of a lacrosse season, personalities of a team on a yearly basis etc. I cant explain it to you.
And neither are you.
I do understand the ebbs and flows of a lacrosse season, I also played for Charlie, but what i am seeing and others on th board is the slow decline of a once powerful program. I agree we are arm chair quaterbacks, but the lack of discipline and the poor play has to make you question,

Go back 2 months and the discussion on this board was we are set with the offense, hopefully the D can step it up. We are hoping now that our 3 and 4 starters and veteran players show up on offense
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:10 pm
And neither are you.
Believe me I understand the weekly ebbs and flows. I played for Charlie from 2007-2009. Never played for Van but respect him a ton. My concern is lack of development in offense. As I posted previously every midfielder who plays regularly has regressed over their 4 or 5 years at Loyola. Just look at the stats. Higgins, Kamish, Bateman, Wigley, Seay, Lindsey, etc…. In addition the four star recruits like Dixon, McGorry, Murphy, Cote, West etc… either were poorly recruited or poorly developed because they rarely play. So is it poor recruiting or poor development? To me regression of veterans along with the lack of giving younger guys who they recruited an opportunity to play is on the staff. Stats don’t lie. There is way too much talent on this team. As Laxforlife86 (who clearly has a kid on this team) said there are no ramifications for poor play of veterans. They stay in the lineup week after week.
Stats do not lie and neither does film
Laxdad2021

Post by Laxdad2021 »

Huge win. Congrats to Remy Reynolds for his first Loyola goal. Crazy. Watched game on ESPN+. Feed was so bad it kept glitching and repeating 20-30 seconds of game and the would skip forward. All game long. Anyone else with this issue. Colgate next!!!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

What an ending! Can’t beat a caused turnover and pole goal in OT—congrats on the great win.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:27 pm What an ending! Can’t beat a caused turnover and pole goal in OT—congrats on the great win.
That was a great game start to finish.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

Needed that one. Huge game by Staudt 18 saves
molo

Post by molo »

Caught some of the first half sneaking a couple of looks during class. Saw the entire second half. Big win for a team that needed one. Nice lefty pole goal.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Maybe work on your clears this week?
random observer

Post by random observer »

Big win but this team still doesn't inspire any confidence because they are deficient in the fundamentals and are disorganized. Clearing was terrible, and they almost threw the game away with their inability to scoop simple first time groundballs. They also missed the cage on multiple wide open looks that any D1 player needs to cash in on.

Bottom line is they had several opportunities to put the game away late that they squandered -- but thankfully the defense (and in particular the goalie) was locked in to prevent Towson from capitalizing.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Whoooooooaaaaaa doggies! What a finish!

Towson is a good team. Let's hope this win gets the Hounds back on track. I've never seen a Loyola team struggle so badly with clearing and turnovers as this team has in its last 4 games. That stuff is fixable. And it's nice to see we have another option at FOGO.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 pm Whoooooooaaaaaa doggies! What a finish!

Towson is a good team. Let's hope this win gets the Hounds back on track. I've never seen a Loyola team struggle so badly with clearing and turnovers as this team has in its last 4 games. That stuff is fixable. And it's nice to see we have another option at FOGO.
Noticed some other subtle changes on offense. Higgins and Kamish seemed more active. Both made nice passes for assists. Binney started with 1st line middies. Moving Poitras around allowed Lindsey to move back to attack where he is so much more effective. He had two points in first four games playing middie (and one was a late goal at Hopkins when he was playing attack). He had five points tonight. Still not getting the production out of the midfield but tonight was some baby steps.
Big game Saturday v Colgate and then Duke. Go Hounds.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Great game! Saw some improvements vs. last couple games.
Staudt is so solid in the cage and has done a great job leading this defense that was in question. And again last night the defensive unit stood tall. Especially in the 4th and overtime when it really mattered.
Great job by the freshman faceoff. We needed a lift at the dot and he did a great job of providing it. Very impressed with him stepping in.
I felt the changes offensively helped but still feel there’s inconsistency at the speed of ball movement and motion of the offense. The faster the ball & feet move the more successful the offense will be. They’ve proved they can do it.
Clearing is not good and the hounds are still getting beat in the middle of the field. Passes need to be better, middies need to cradle with 2 hands. Also an opportunity for Staudt and the defense to break on shots and push forward vs. outlets to the wings.
Would be great for the Hounds to get back to .500 this weekend with Duke coming to town. Go Hounds!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Hound93 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:43 am Great game! Saw some improvements vs. last couple games.
Staudt is so solid in the cage and has done a great job leading this defense that was in question. And again last night the defensive unit stood tall. Especially in the 4th and overtime when it really mattered.
Great job by the freshman faceoff. We needed a lift at the dot and he did a great job of providing it. Very impressed with him stepping in.
I felt the changes offensively helped but still feel there’s inconsistency at the speed of ball movement and motion of the offense. The faster the ball & feet move the more successful the offense will be. They’ve proved they can do it.
Clearing is not good and the hounds are still getting beat in the middle of the field. Passes need to be better, middies need to cradle with 2 hands. Also an opportunity for Staudt and the defense to break on shots and push forward vs. outlets to the wings.
Would be great for the Hounds to get back to .500 this weekend with Duke coming to town. Go Hounds!
+!, agree with everything you say, now lets be consistent with our play. If we played this way against Hopkins and Rutgers, we are looking at possible 3-2 and not 2-3

Hopefully the hounds do not take Colgate lightly, and come out and play like they can
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

From Ty Xanders

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
Scheme to maximize talent
Very few staffs do all of those things better than Joe Alberici and @ArmyWP_MLax. Special culture in
West Point.
It's never been as simple as just piling up 5-stars and Top 100 recruits.

This is what Loyola used to do
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Great win for the Hounds. Awesome game by Staudt. Yeah, we all saw the same thing. Clearing game, once a strength, needs some work. Hounds could improve in a lot of categories but A win is a win. Some days I wake up and wonder if the Hounds will win 4 games total this year and then sometimes I wake up and wonder how they'll do in the Patriot Championship game against Army…but I'm getting ahead of myself. Kram and others will add - "one game at a time" and I'll agree with them. On to Colgate!!

PS - Bucknell and their 10 man ride scares me…..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”