WoodStick

Re: NESCAC

Post by WoodStick »

NNELax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm
jetdirect47 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:22 pm
FairLax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:15 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:16 pm
FairLax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:36 am
bonesnjnts wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:49 pm the trinity goalie room is just fine.
I was not aware that D3 Lacrosse teams had "rooms", lol. In any case, opportunity for someone else, next man up!

That being said, a 3-year starting goalie, one of the best in the league, deciding to play another sport his senior year is at best unusual, and at worst harkens back to some of the issues that plagued the team last year.

Roll Bants
It's an expression.

Probably a middle of the pack starting goalie in the Nescac. I assume he lost his starting job and is focusing on other endeavors in his last semester of school, maybe even honing his golf game altho that is a fall sport in the conference.
How could he have lost his position? Based on captains practice in fall ball?
Coaches were allowed at practice this fall for the first time. Perhaps he realized he would be beat out? Perhaps he didn't want to put out the effort that Trinity expects? Maybe he just wanted to play golf more? I didn't even know the 'cac had golf as a varsity sport until this. I can't imagine the league is any good. Wouldn't golf players want to play in non-freezing weather?

Based on the previous post about the goalie situation, it seems like it won't make a difference. I agree that he was middle of the pack. There are others I'd take over him. He didn't seem to play well in the big games.
Throwing mud on the kid after his left is gross...Grow up
Completely agree. He was/is a very good goalie who saw a lot of shots!!
wavylax2655

Post by wavylax2655 »

SaltCounty wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:35 am Toss up today - have a feeling it is going to be another close one.
Curious to see how they look on the road.
Going to say Skidmore at home - but close.
Spot on analysis SaltCountry. They hung around all game and couldn't walk away with a W in Saratoga Springs. With that being said, really impressed with the job Annino has done so far. The cats looked solid against Skidmore and Emerson but beating Cac' teams is a whole different animal. Super fired up to get the season going this upcoming weekend. Will be posting lines for each matchup later this week. Any updates on scrimmages from this weekend? Heard Amherst Conn and MIT did a play day but don't know who won.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

All three teams in the playday went 1-1 on the day. AC beat CC 12-1. Don't think it was as lopsided as score suggests though.
CradleKing

Post by CradleKing »

Bates 10, Skidmore 11 (2 OT)

Tough one in Saratoga Springs. Looked like the defense was still feeling it from the mid-week bender following the Emerson victory. The Hingham Hitman Andrew Toland covered for the unit in net, and was spotted leaving the A-phi house on three separate occasions prior to the game. This tear including a stop at Lucy's in Saratoga Friday eve. His 21 saves kept the 'cats alive, while the defense was no where to be seen.

Not sure if Coach Annino needs the attack to work on inside finishing or run the dye table following the MIDmore tilt, but I was not impressed with the hands of the O unit. Interested to hear if anyone has insight on this Hamilton team and if the Bobcats have a chance.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

CradleKing wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:39 am Bates 10, Skidmore 11 (2 OT)

Tough one in Saratoga Springs. Looked like the defense was still feeling it from the mid-week bender following the Emerson victory. The Hingham Hitman Andrew Toland covered for the unit in net, and was spotted leaving the A-phi house on three separate occasions prior to the game. This tear including a stop at Lucy's in Saratoga Friday eve. His 21 saves kept the 'cats alive, while the defense was no where to be seen.

Not sure if Coach Annino needs the attack to work on inside finishing or run the dye table following the MIDmore tilt, but I was not impressed with the hands of the O unit. Interested to hear if anyone has insight on this Hamilton team and if the Bobcats have a chance.
Did not watch - but heard similarly to what you shared.
A big effort in cage put them in position to win.

Two close games should be an advantage heading into Hamilton's opener.
Hamilton has not started 1-0 since 2017 when they beat Colby (granted openers since have been against Tufts & Amherst)

Think this is a big win heading forward for whoever grabs it this weekend.
Laxinaround22

Post by Laxinaround22 »

jetdirect47 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:22 pm
FairLax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:15 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:16 pm
FairLax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:36 am
bonesnjnts wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:49 pm the trinity goalie room is just fine.
I was not aware that D3 Lacrosse teams had "rooms", lol. In any case, opportunity for someone else, next man up!

That being said, a 3-year starting goalie, one of the best in the league, deciding to play another sport his senior year is at best unusual, and at worst harkens back to some of the issues that plagued the team last year.

Roll Bants
It's an expression.

Probably a middle of the pack starting goalie in the Nescac. I assume he lost his starting job and is focusing on other endeavors in his last semester of school, maybe even honing his golf game altho that is a fall sport in the conference.
How could he have lost his position? Based on captains practice in fall ball?
Coaches were allowed at practice this fall for the first time. Perhaps he realized he would be beat out? Perhaps he didn't want to put out the effort that Trinity expects? Maybe he just wanted to play golf more? I didn't even know the 'cac had golf as a varsity sport until this. I can't imagine the league is any good. Wouldn't golf players want to play in non-freezing weather?

Based on the previous post about the goalie situation, it seems like it won't make a difference. I agree that he was middle of the pack. There are others I'd take over him. He didn't seem to play well in the big games.
D3 Golf is a little strange. Very few teams in the North compete at the highest level. That being said, Trinity is one of the few Northern teams currently ranked in the top 25 (currently #20). Yaccino fired a low round of 69 this Fall...I'd say he's a damn good golfer!
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Has anyone seen any of the scrimmages over the past few weeks? Wondering how the Bowdoin, Middlebury, Tufts, Amherst, and Wes are looking. No matter who you are a fan of in the NESCAC, we should all be cheering for the division come playoff time and hopefully have representation come Memorial Day weekend. Wonder if any of the teams are championship caliber this season.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

RIT seems to be the team to beat rn in the North....excited to see how they matchup with the NESCAC frontrunners....
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

The12lov3 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:13 pm Has anyone seen any of the scrimmages over the past few weeks? Wondering how the Bowdoin, Middlebury, Tufts, Amherst, and Wes are looking. No matter who you are a fan of in the NESCAC, we should all be cheering for the division come playoff time and hopefully have representation come Memorial Day weekend. Wonder if any of the teams are championship caliber this season.
Amherst looked pretty good this weekend, no. 8 was impressive. However, not sure if the results of that scrimmage day are a good overall indicator of things to come. Conn beat MIT, Amherst beat Conn, and Amherst lost to MIT. Not that it should make a big difference, but Amherst and Conn each lost on the back-end of their back-to-back games, and the teams seemed to be pretty deep into their rosters.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

NNELax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm RIT seems to be the team to beat rn in the North....excited to see how they matchup with the NESCAC frontrunners....
RIT gets its first real test this week when they travel to York. seems like York is still trying to figure out their offense, so RIT should be favored.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:45 pm What is widely considered to be the second best college golf course in the country is at Williams.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/gol ... rses-yale/
Thank you for reminding us that you played for the purple cows mr. pcowlax.:) A great golf course I agree.
wavylax2655

Post by wavylax2655 »

WEEK 1 LINES

Here is what I'm thinking for week 1 lines, let's get it going!

Babson v. Williams: -0.5 Babson
- feel like this will be a tight game throughout. Expect Rainville to exert his fifth-year experience later in the game. Really curious to see who steps up in the pipes for the Ephs, but I really like the duo of Caputo and McKnight at attack. Could be a pick 'em but I think Babson wins by a goal or two
Trinity v. Bowdoin: -7.5 Bowdoin
- with the new knowledge that Yaccino isn't the goalie for Trinity, combined with how dominant Bowdoin looks this year, I think the Bears will pull away early and hold a nice lead the whole game. Between Byrne, Barnard, Goorno, and Hobbs, this Bowdoin team is loaded, and the only way Trinity could hang in there is a hot goalie and good zone play. Also excited to see how Mullane does in his first NESCAC game as an OC
Wes v. Colby: -5.5 Wes
- although the Bernhardt era has begun, I think Wes will be too much for the Mules. Dixon and Giancola should have four pts or more and I think Wes zone causes Colby fits on offense. One massive bright spot for the Mules is their D-mids of Rayment and Brooks. I think this duo is top three in the Cac'
Bates v. Hamilton: -3.5 Hamilton
- I like what Bates has been doing in the early part of this year but as I mentioned in my previous post, NESCAC wins are much different than Emerson and Skidmore. Expect quality goalie play from Fried that should stifle the Bates offense. Although the Conts lost a ton to graduation, they return key pieces like Pearl, Wilde, and Healy, which should allow them to pull away in the fourth
Conn v. Tufts: -7.5 Tufts
- expect Tufts to restock and reload on the offense side of the ball. Haven't heard much from the Medford camp in preseason so expect them to come out with a bang. Even if Rice stands on his head, I don't think Conn has the offense to hang with the likes of Ayers and Waldbaum. Plus when Tufts is at Bello, they are practically impossible to beat, this game might get ugly
Amherst v. Midd: -3.5 Midd
- a potential game of the year and it's the opener for both of these teams. I think it will be a shootout early and then both defenses will lock down in the second half. I think Bennett will have north of five points and Kopp will go 65%+ at the dot. However, Midd caused Amherst fits in the clearing game last year and with the amount of talent they return on both sides of the ball, plus the fact they are at home, I think they pull away at the end. Thorndike and Curits should feast as they enter their junior year as proven commodities in the Cac, and with Jamin, DeMallie, and Conly all returning, I think they have too much firepower for the Mammos. Really excited to tune into this game
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

wavylax2655 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 am WEEK 1 LINES

Here is what I'm thinking for week 1 lines, let's get it going!

Babson v. Williams: -0.5 Babson
- feel like this will be a tight game throughout. Expect Rainville to exert his fifth-year experience later in the game. Really curious to see who steps up in the pipes for the Ephs, but I really like the duo of Caputo and McKnight at attack. Could be a pick 'em but I think Babson wins by a goal or two
Trinity v. Bowdoin: -7.5 Bowdoin
- with the new knowledge that Yaccino isn't the goalie for Trinity, combined with how dominant Bowdoin looks this year, I think the Bears will pull away early and hold a nice lead the whole game. Between Byrne, Barnard, Goorno, and Hobbs, this Bowdoin team is loaded, and the only way Trinity could hang in there is a hot goalie and good zone play. Also excited to see how Mullane does in his first NESCAC game as an OC
Wes v. Colby: -5.5 Wes
- although the Bernhardt era has begun, I think Wes will be too much for the Mules. Dixon and Giancola should have four pts or more and I think Wes zone causes Colby fits on offense. One massive bright spot for the Mules is their D-mids of Rayment and Brooks. I think this duo is top three in the Cac'
Bates v. Hamilton: -3.5 Hamilton
- I like what Bates has been doing in the early part of this year but as I mentioned in my previous post, NESCAC wins are much different than Emerson and Skidmore. Expect quality goalie play from Fried that should stifle the Bates offense. Although the Conts lost a ton to graduation, they return key pieces like Pearl, Wilde, and Healy, which should allow them to pull away in the fourth
Conn v. Tufts: -7.5 Tufts
- expect Tufts to restock and reload on the offense side of the ball. Haven't heard much from the Medford camp in preseason so expect them to come out with a bang. Even if Rice stands on his head, I don't think Conn has the offense to hang with the likes of Ayers and Waldbaum. Plus when Tufts is at Bello, they are practically impossible to beat, this game might get ugly
Amherst v. Midd: -3.5 Midd
- a potential game of the year and it's the opener for both of these teams. I think it will be a shootout early and then both defenses will lock down in the second half. I think Bennett will have north of five points and Kopp will go 65%+ at the dot. However, Midd caused Amherst fits in the clearing game last year and with the amount of talent they return on both sides of the ball, plus the fact they are at home, I think they pull away at the end. Thorndike and Curits should feast as they enter their junior year as proven commodities in the Cac, and with Jamin, DeMallie, and Conly all returning, I think they have too much firepower for the Mammos. Really excited to tune into this game
Picks
Babson -.5
Bowdoin -7.5
Wesleyan -5.5
Tufts -7.5
Bates +3.5
Amherst +3.5

6 Units
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

wavylax2655 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 amAmherst v. Midd: -3.5 Midd
- a potential game of the year and it's the opener for both of these teams
Not a chance, but maybe in the NESCAC exclusively.
Just a bit of a leap there.
I would hope the best game of the year is not this early.
That’s a huge conclusion to jump to IMO.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:57 am
wavylax2655 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 amAmherst v. Midd: -3.5 Midd
- a potential game of the year and it's the opener for both of these teams
Not a chance, but maybe in the NESCAC exclusively.
Just a bit of a leap there.
I would hope the best game of the year is not this early.
That’s a huge conclusion to jump to IMO.
This is the NESCAC forum, so one can assume that the poster is referring to the game of the year in conference, and it was also prefaced with "potential", so there's that.
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

Williams +.5
Trinity +7.5
Wes -5.5
Ham -3.5
Conn +7.5
Midd -3.5

(6 game parlay😀😀)
VTextrasharpcheddarr

Post by VTextrasharpcheddarr »

My picks:
Williams +0.5
- This game could go either way. I think both teams are strong enough to be Top 20 throughout the season. The winner will definitely get a boost in
the rankings, but it's early and by no means a dagger for the loser (unless we see a blowout out of nowhere). But, I doubt that - looking forward to
some great early season action.
Bowdoin -7.5
- The Polar Bears take off hot. They have the experience and the skill. A lot of offensive firepower that is easy to come by w/ Barnard at the draw.
Wesleyan -5.5
- Dixon and Raba get things going for the Cards. Although I agree the Mules' D-mids could be a problem. Pulling for a tight game but believe Wes
handles Colby.
Hamilton ML
- No takes here. Bates has had its warm up, but Hamilton should win this game. Setting the line at Hamilton -220.
Tufts -7.5
- I don't think Conn is catching Tufts off guard. Particularly after last year's regular season match up. Much harder for Conn to scout Tufts given the
Jumbos reshuffling offensive pieces. Would love to see a Camel upset, but let's not forget Tufts choked last Memorial Day weekend. That, along with
some uncertainty from the peanut gallery, has to fuel their fire. Tickling Camels ML +2100 with $10 bc why not.
Midd -3.5
- I expect both teams to have their fair share of runs. Amherst will certainly have the edge at the FO (last year's stat line was 23-8 in Kopp's favor). If
Midd can execute their strong clearing game and convert on riding turnovers, I think they'll pull away in the second half. Could see Will Ryan having
a huge day if that's the case.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

K
Last edited by choochooCharlie on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

[/quote]

This is the NESCAC forum, so one can assume that the poster is referring to the game of the year in conference, and it was also prefaced with "potential", so there's that.
[/quote]

No way that was what was inferred.
Just look at CNU Tufts looming.
I’d like to see even just a NESCAC GOTY not involving
Tufts.
[/quote]

Poster only highlighted NESCAC games, on a NESCAC board...you didn't infer he was talking about NESCAC? Keep trolling tho.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Chipzhoo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:09 pm
[/quote]

No way that was what was inferred.
Just look at CNU Tufts looming.
I’d like to see even just a NESCAC GOTY not involving
Tufts.
[/quote]

Poster only highlighted NESCAC games, on a NESCAC board...you didn't infer he was talking about NESCAC? Keep trolling tho.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, some posters on the forum simply like to disagree with anything posted, as opposed to engaging in a rational dialogue, and then they will just complain that us soft NESCAC folks can't handle anything that opposes our narrative. Amazing that somebody cannot post an honest opinion without being immediately chastised. Trolls will be trolls.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”