Preview of South Quarterfinal - Stone/Tampa

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Pitt12

Re: Preview of South Quarterfinal - Stone/Tampa

Post by Pitt12 »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am
laxfan4all wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 am Nice recap on games Red...That being said, let's address the elephant in the room.

Sad that the officials decided this game, and wrong call at that. Kew's waved off goal in overtime should have counted and game over.

#1 - Officials called that he dove towards the goal mouth and made contact with the goalie. He started his dive from behind GLE making it physically impossible to be towards the goal mouth. His body was heading up field away from the goal.

#2 - Officials called a push from behind during the dive. Also called diving towards the goal and making contact with the goalie. If there was a push – which was called – Then the push is what resulted in him entering the crease. If there was no push, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He would have never even landed in the crease at all.

#3 - The contact with the goalie first resulted from the push. Goalie also stepped out of the crease while Kew had already left his feet, resulting in the contact. Without the push, or goalie stepping out, contact would never have been made.

Here is the video of the play
t.co/xLFH1fRKTZ

If link doesn't work, copy and paste into a new window

On another note: The officials uncalled for, and unprofessional actions after the game where a disgrace. As walking by Tampa fans, he just couldn't help but throw a dig, and said "welcome to Gaffney" while sticking out his tongue. No place in the NCAA for an official like that
Agreed, that official should never work another NCAA game again. The call was questionable, and the actions of the official as you describe them were a disgrace. Kids work too hard over the course of a long season, and in Kew's case, college career, to have it all decided by a bad call. I really hate when that happens, for everyone involved.
I agree the actions of the official after the game if
true are uncalled for. Tampa always complains about the biased officiating just as we Limestone fans complain about Lemoynes biased officiating when we lose to them! Too bad a great game had to have that call!
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

admin wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am Maybe I missed something but did this laxgoalierat piece speak to a d-man pushing the diver?
no

I did see some sites talk about push and crease violation but none had specifically stated situation where goalie was contacted. From those sites it was clear that goal could be waved off, but in most cases the offensive team was given the ball.

To me it appears that Kew as headed toward the arc area (in the link) before he was pushed. maybe thats where it came from.

we need a ref to explain.
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

What I see in the video was Kew stepping toward the goal line on the dodge, and not making it all the way to GLE (maybe a foot away for his right foot), then one step away from the GLE as he is moving toward the far edge of the crease. Last step is parallel to GLE/goal line and that is the dive, with his body more or less parallel to goal line. Neither toward or away from goal mouth, and given the rule is dive must be away from goal mouth, correct call.

I also think that while the called push forced more contact with the goalie, Kew would have entered the crease on his own, hence the dive flag.
Close up in slow motion. Kew's momentum is taking him upfield (heading directly at #2 Vetter) in no way parallel to, or at the goal mouth, until the push changed his direction in mid air and caused the contact

file:///Untitled-1.html

Can't seem to get the link to work properly. Copy and paste
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Kew takes a left foot plant before the shot that changes his direction - push is a step or two before the shot from behind - that is where the push call comes from as that is the defender behind...

Pasted from a mini-discussion in the D2 Women's area:
admin wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 am It's the push from the d-man that leaves me scratching my head.
Push was from the trailing D-man (#49 Plank) who served the 30 second T. Not the sliding D man. Push was a full step or two before the dive.
Change in direction of Kew to parallel to goal line was right when the sliding man for Stone came down to the crease - does not necessarily appear that the contact actually changed direction... Nikko Red Arrow was the official Kew was facing, and was in line with that parallel line that Kew ended up on...

I think I see at least what went on in the official's decision - you may not agree, but that is the call, and no matter who it benefits it will not be overridden.
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

#49 was not even in the play, he was standing out in front of the crease when it happened. So the officials did not even get the correct number when calling the push. In other words, you have no idea who the push was on, but it certainly wasn't #49. No where near the play. And how can you say his direction was not changed by the contact. Unless he has some superhuman capability that allows him to change direction in mid-air

And I understand the outcome will not change. Clearly this is something that should, and is being discussed
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

laxfan4all wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm #49 was not even in the play, he was standing out in front of the crease when it happened. So the officials did not even get the correct number when calling the push. In other words, you have no idea who the push was on, but it certainly wasn't #49. No where near the play. And how can you say his direction was not changed by the contact. Unless he has some superhuman capability that allows him to change direction in mid-air

And I understand the outcome will not change. Clearly this is something that should, and is being discussed
You are right that it is not Plank - it was #34 Kendall Collins who was trailing...
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

But yet Plank is who they called the penalty on (see box score). No clue by the officials. HHmmm who was the push on...idk, lets give it to that kid standing out in front of the crease.

And yes, both officials had a perfect view of the play and neither one came to the conclusion that the contact by either defender is what caused kew into the crease.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

laxfan4all wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 pm But yet Plank is who they called the penalty on (see box score). No clue by the officials. HHmmm who was the push on...idk, lets give it to that kid standing out in front of the crease.

And yes, both officials had a perfect view of the play and neither one came to the conclusion that the contact by either defender is what caused kew into the crease.
We could debate this forever. Limestone got the call and moves on. Tampa played a great game, but should have closed the door!
Rematch of Limestone vs UIndy next week. Should be a good one.
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

I am obviously biased but I don’t see Forren going at Kew.

Forren copy.jpg
Forren copy.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 5204 times

You're right, Forren didn't step out, leave his feet, or turn his back. And there was no push during the dive
stickhead

Post by stickhead »

8-)
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

laxfan4all wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Forren copy.jpg

You're right, Forren didn't step out, leave his feet, or turn his back. And there was no push during the dive
According to the rule he did nothing wrong! Let it go...see you next year. If Tampa can avoid early losses to Assumption, Lindenwood next year maybe they can get a home playoff game for a change.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

laxfan4all wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Forren copy.jpg

Actually I think this angle backs up the officials call! Thanks.
laxfan4all

Post by laxfan4all »

You're right, Kew did nothing wrong. If the situation was switched, you know damn well this board would have been blowing up with Stone supporters. I've had my say, enough is enough. You're also correct, Tampa should have won a couple of those early games, and ...we did have a home playoff game.
Good luck to all this weekend
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

Interesting discussion here: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kend/53670

be sure to check out the call earlier in the year during Lehigh vs NJIT. the goal was dissallowed even without contact. Penalty on both shooter and defender.

They quote the rule as:

If an offensive player, in possession of the ball and outside the crease area, dives or jumps in a direction away from the goal mouth and lands in the crease, the goal shall be allowed, provided the ball enters the goal before contact with the crease, goaltender, or the goal.

If an offensive player, in possession of the ball and outside the crease area, dives or jumps in a direction that is not away from the goal mouth and lands in the crease, the goal shall be disallowed. In addition, the player shall be penalized with a minimum of a 1 minute foul. The penalty may be releasable or non-releasable at the discretion of the referee. Contact is not required for a foul to be called under this rule. Defensive contact legal or illegal may have an effect on this play.

the underlined part above could be key. I went through the video and you can see the ball hit the back of the net. Contact was prior to that...but when wast it?
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

laxfan4all wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:09 pm You're right, Kew did nothing wrong. If the situation was switched, you know damn well this board would have been blowing up with Stone supporters. I've had my say, enough is enough. You're also correct, Tampa should have won a couple of those early games, and ...we did have a home playoff game.
Good luck to all this weekend
I meant a home game against Limestone. Because if the game took place in Tampa according to Tampa fans the call would have gone the other way. I agree if the situation was switched board would be blowing up. Good season Tampa.
MCL22105

Post by MCL22105 »

Where do the North fans hang out?

To me it’s been a race between the Big 3 out of the NE10 all year, but no one wants to talk about the rubber match of two one goal games between last year’s champ and the most consistent team in the division?

The gap between the North & South last year was vast. Has much changed to make everyone think otherwise?
cowboylax

Post by cowboylax »

Limestone isn’t and never will be St. Leo! Last years Limestone team would have put up a better fight than those bags of milk!
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

MCL22105 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 pm Where do the North fans hang out?

To me it’s been a race between the Big 3 out of the NE10 all year, but no one wants to talk about the rubber match of two one goal games between last year’s champ and the most consistent team in the division?

The gap between the North & South last year was vast. Has much changed to make everyone think otherwise?
The South is 3-2 over the last 5 years. Limestone winning 3 and a runner up. I would expect a closer game than last years “anomaly”23-6 loss by St Leo. Lemoyne or Merrimack will be tough to beat though.
MCL22105

Post by MCL22105 »

I’m speaking specifically of the south teams of the past two seasons and not the region historically. Those Stone Teams from a few years back were quite possibly some of the best of all time. Yes they’ve made strides this year over last season’s effort, but to me it feels like they are ahead of schedule on a rebuild rather than a national contender.

And while I think it’s dangerous to derive too much from relative scores, I can’t help but raise concern with Tampa’s home loss to perennial (20+ years) NE10 doormat Assumption. Sure teams slip up along the way, but that loss feels more troubling than Merrimack or Le Moyne dropping early season contests on the road to LIU Post and Mercy respectively.

The good news is that we will know the answer in less than two weeks!
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

MCL22105 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 pm I’m speaking specifically of the south teams of the past two seasons and not the region historically. Those Stone Teams from a few years back were quite possibly some of the best of all time. Yes they’ve made strides this year over last season’s effort, but to me it feels like they are ahead of schedule on a rebuild rather than a national contender.

And while I think it’s dangerous to derive too much from relative scores, I can’t help but raise concern with Tampa’s home loss to perennial (20+ years) NE10 doormat Assumption. Sure teams slip up along the way, but that loss feels more troubling than Merrimack or Le Moyne dropping early season contests on the road to LIU Post and Mercy respectively.

The good news is that we will know the answer in less than two weeks!
Tampa had some injuries early on...much better team later in the year. We will see..Limestone beat their North Region opponents during the regular season. I would say a 19-0 record puts them in the contender category. I would give an edge to The North though with the way Mack and Lemoyne have looked in the playoffs. Who knows Indy has also had a great year.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”