Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: Games Today

Post by spidey44 »

JMU looking a bit lost without Peterson. Down 4-2 in the first so plenty of time, but so far not looking great.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 pm 15-12 Syracuse with 11:00 to go. Pretty surprised.
Am I the only person who is irked by the ND mascot running behind the cage to try and disrupt the opposing team's FPS? I suppose it's the same as the crowd trying to distract a free throw shooter in basketball but comes across as pretty classless.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Watched BC play Michigan in basically a straight up, officiated game to end the fall season. Think BC won by at least 6. Dont want to say the game was not competitive but based on what I saw if they played 10 times BC wins 9. I wonder if Michigan is doing something different defensively because opponents simply are not scoring much - or is it defense and goalie play.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

spidey44 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:28 pm JMU looking a bit lost without Peterson. Down 4-2 in the first so plenty of time, but so far not looking great.
Dukes putting it together and now have a healthy 14-8 lead midway through the 3rd.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:35 pm Watched BC play Michigan in basically a straight up, officiated game to end the fall season. Think BC won by at least 6. Dont want to say the game was not competitive but based on what I saw if they played 10 times BC wins 9. I wonder if Michigan is doing something different defensively because opponents simply are not scoring much - or is it defense and goalie play.
The defense for Michigan is specifically trying to drive offensive players to the alley and have them put up bad angle shots. If you watch the games, you’ll see quite a few of the saves are really spectacular or anything, just high percentage save areas for the goalie.

This past summer Michigan added a great assistant coach that had previously been at CMU and then at GVSU—she had a hand in GVSU making it to the upper echelons of D2.

I think a more cogent plan, an additional great hire, and a goalie getting the angles she wants is key her.

Someone will bust the defense up fully, but we haven’t seen that team yet.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:04 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:35 pm Watched BC play Michigan in basically a straight up, officiated game to end the fall season. Think BC won by at least 6. Dont want to say the game was not competitive but based on what I saw if they played 10 times BC wins 9. I wonder if Michigan is doing something different defensively because opponents simply are not scoring much - or is it defense and goalie play.
The defense for Michigan is specifically trying to drive offensive players to the alley and have them put up bad angle shots. If you watch the games, you’ll see quite a few of the saves are really spectacular or anything, just high percentage save areas for the goalie.

This past summer Michigan added a great assistant coach that had previously been at CMU and then at GVSU—she had a hand in GVSU making it to the upper echelons of D2.

I think a more cogent plan, an additional great hire, and a goalie getting the angles she wants is key her.

All of this plus Michigan is one of the most experienced teams in the country and have a top 3 defender in Maddy burns

When they play NW, I expect a 7-6 slugfest type of game
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:45 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:04 pm

All of this plus Michigan is one of the most experienced teams in the country and have a top 3 defender in Maddy burns

When they play NW, I expect a 7-6 slugfest type of game
I expect that game to be close. Hannah Nielsen, having been an assistant for NU and a former player for KAH has a solid understanding of their game plan and what to do. She’s proven to be a formidable foe for NU and I expect nothing less of her with that matchup. I’ll be at that game in person on 4/21—it’s going to be one of my highlights of the season.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

The Lindenwood vs UC Davis game today was a very good Lacrosse game to watch. Lindenwood, in their 2nd season of D1 are making nice strides with their program. They have solid players and solid coaching. The game with Cal-Davis was very competitive with a spirited ebb and flow to the game. The final was 13-12 Cal-Davis.

Another good game was in D2. It was an early season matchup of perineal powers #2 Florida Southern and #6 Adelphi University. This was a very tight back and forth game, but AU started to take complete control in the 2nd half and cruised to a 19-10 victory. They were led by Mariella Colalillo with a 10 point output...5g, 5a. Keep your eye on her.

Adelphi making a statement early with a strong Road win against a strong opponent.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:07 pm The Lindenwood vs UC Davis game today was a very good Lacrosse game to watch. Lindenwood, in their 2nd season of D1 are making nice strides with their program. They have solid players and solid coaching. The game with Cal-Davis was very competitive with a spirited ebb and flow to the game. The final was 13-12 Cal-Davis.

Another good game was in D2. It was an early season matchup of perineal powers #2 Florida Southern and #6 Adelphi University. This was a very tight back and forth game, but AU started to take complete control in the 2nd half and cruised to a 19-10 victory. They were led by Mariella Colalillo with a 10 point output...5g, 5a. Keep your eye on her.

Adelphi making a statement early with a strong Road win against a strong opponent.
Good stuff. I agree, It's only a matter of time for Lindenwood. i'd go as far to say they have elite coaching. Cribbin is good man..makes great adjustments game to game and his players play hard for him. Last season they lost by 20 goals to jacksonville..then they beat coastal carolina the next game. Honestly, that made me a fan.

Win, Lose, blow out or not, no quit in this team as displayed again today. They are already better than alot of low level D1 programs. Competitive against mid level programs. They are 4-1 with wins over louisville, who on paper has more talent. and Cal, who they lost to by 10+ goals just a year ago.

I'll be watching their recruiting closely. Once that injection of D1 talent becomes more consistent..look out
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:12 am
Good stuff. I agree, It's only a matter of time for Lindenwood. i'd go as far to say they have elite coaching. Cribbin is good man..makes great adjustments game to game and his players play hard for him. Last season they lost by 20 goals to jacksonville..then they beat coastal carolina the next game. Honestly, that made me a fan.

Win, Lose, blow out or not, no quit in this team as displayed again today. They are already better than alot of low level D1 programs. Competitive against mid level programs. They are 4-1 with wins over louisville, who on paper has more talent. and Cal, who they lost to by 10+ goals just a year ago.

I'll be watching their recruiting closely. Once that injection of D1 talent becomes more consistent..look out
I said this in another thread. But I'm shocked at how well they are doing. Mizzou isn't exactly a hot destination, but they are getting it done. Seems to me the ASUN is theirs for the taking.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:24 am

I said this in another thread. But I'm shocked at how well they are doing. Mizzou isn't exactly a hot destination, but they are getting it done. Seems to me the ASUN is theirs for the taking.
There are some issues with funding and the fact they cut a ton of programs at Lindenwood. That may affect recruiting. I can say the players I saw last summer that were Lindenwood recruits didn't exactly wow me, but he's doing a great job of coaching them up. They will be a fun one to watch.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

New goalie for Michigan- Erin O’Grady is currently leading the country in both goals against average and save percentage.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:07 pm The Lindenwood vs UC Davis game today was a very good Lacrosse game to watch. Lindenwood, in their 2nd season of D1 are making nice strides with their program. They have solid players and solid coaching. The game with Cal-Davis was very competitive with a spirited ebb and flow to the game. The final was 13-12 Cal-Davis.

I will give them this. Their coach is incredibly dynamic and makes girls want to play there. We've seen him at a few camps/showcases and girls are impressed every time after working with him. You can here them asking each other "where's Lindenwood?" when the station is over.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 am
New goalie for Michigan- Erin O’Grady is currently leading the country in both goals against average and save percentage.
GAA is more indicative of the defense overall than just the goalie. The keeper is a factor for sure, but not the only factor.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:40 pm
GAA is more indicative of the defense overall than just the goalie. The keeper is a factor for sure, but not the only factor.
Goalie stats are always iffy. Save pct. How many saves right into her stick as opposed to her being aggressive. Moving the stick to make the save, etc. really need the eye test with goalies more than anything. IMO
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

O'Grady played v BC this fall and kept it respectable.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:09 pm
Goalie stats are always iffy. Save pct. How many saves right into her stick as opposed to her being aggressive. Moving the stick to make the save, etc. really need the eye test with goalies more than anything. IMO
That's fair. It's one of the most misunderstood positions on the field. Goalies will know great saves when they see them and when they were given layups. It doesn't take anything away from O'Grady--I'm sure she'd say the same thing she were looking at videos of other goalies. They all do that.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Spidey. Put me down for three dimes tomorrow on ASU upsetting Michigan. I don’t need goals. They are winning outright. 14-12
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:12 pm Spidey. Put me down for three dimes tomorrow on ASU upsetting Michigan. I don’t need goals. They are winning outright. 14-12
Booked. I've got The Blue -6.5 for those looking for points.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:27 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:12 pm Spidey. Put me down for three dimes tomorrow on ASU upsetting Michigan. I don’t need goals. They are winning outright. 14-12
Booked. I've got The Blue -6.5 for those looking for points.
Give me Big Blue by 8. I know many on ASU and their recruits. They don’t have the game changing type players to compete with the top tier.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”