NJIT

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DoubleD

NJIT

Post by DoubleD »

Gotta be impressed with coach Wolf at NJIT. The team is off to a 4 - 0 start after winning 9 games in ten yrs of program history. Wolf has won 7 games in 1 season and 4 games. First he took LIU from D 2 to D1 and they were competitive right away while finishing 8 - 7 in 2022 losing in conference tournament to a solid ST JOES team 11 - 10. LIU didn't wanna match NJITs offer so he had to leave as he was underpaid and unfortunately LIU lost what he was building as 6 of his top players transferred out to higher level programs. Now he's building NJIT to be competitive. No one believed that team could ever win 4 games in a row. Sure not tough D 1 comp but still from where they came from it's solid. Have to impressed so wanted to just say something as guys rip bottom D1 teams instead of giving ones who deserve props there props.
NCC

Re: NJIT

Post by NCC »

Thanks for sharing the coach’s history. It’s further developing into a very good story for the coach and team.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:41 am Gotta be impressed with coach Wolf at NJIT. The team is off to a 4 - 0 start after winning 9 games in ten yrs of program history. Wolf has won 7 games in 1 season and 4 games. First he took LIU from D 2 to D1 and they were competitive right away while finishing 8 - 7 in 2022 losing in conference tournament to a solid ST JOES team 11 - 10. LIU didn't wanna match NJITs offer so he had to leave as he was underpaid and unfortunately LIU lost what he was building as 6 of his top players transferred out to higher level programs. Now he's building NJIT to be competitive. No one believed that team could ever win 4 games in a row. Sure not tough D 1 comp but still from where they came from it's solid. Have to impressed so wanted to just say something as guys rip bottom D1 teams instead of giving ones who deserve props there props.
I wouldn’t be surprised with much that Wolf, Sheehan or Morgan do. You win titles and have high level success over time in one level to the degree those guys did and it’s like hiring the FB coach from N Dakota state. They may not be D1 hot coaches but they’ll be better than half off the break. (I’d swap my guy for Sheehan tomorrow)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:41 am Gotta be impressed with coach Wolf at NJIT. The team is off to a 4 - 0 start after winning 9 games in ten yrs of program history. Wolf has won 7 games in 1 season and 4 games. First he took LIU from D 2 to D1 and they were competitive right away while finishing 8 - 7 in 2022 losing in conference tournament to a solid ST JOES team 11 - 10. LIU didn't wanna match NJITs offer so he had to leave as he was underpaid and unfortunately LIU lost what he was building as 6 of his top players transferred out to higher level programs. Now he's building NJIT to be competitive. No one believed that team could ever win 4 games in a row. Sure not tough D 1 comp but still from where they came from it's solid. Have to impressed so wanted to just say something as guys rip bottom D1 teams instead of giving ones who deserve props there props.
Thanks for posting that.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Marr ever leaves Albany, Wolf is probably going to be the first person they call.
lilax

Post by lilax »

Their resiliency is a huge credit to their coaching staff. In all 4 of their wins, they have had 2nd half comebacks.

They could be 7-0 by the time America East play rolls around.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

by DoubleD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:41 am

Gotta be impressed with coach Wolf at NJIT.
History is what (Will) Mark made at LIU. He set a program record with 30 saves in a three-goal loss against Bryant on April 27, 2021. The Bulldogs took 78 shots, but he somehow stayed locked in. That was the third time in 2021 he reset his own single-game program record.

Mark came to LIU after his initial recruitment to Vermont fell through. It was a mutual decision after Mark learned that his grades wouldn’t guarantee him admission into the school.

At the same time, a few hours south, Eric Wolf was in desperate need of a goalie with LIU’s impending elevation to Division I. He told his entire staff to drop everything and only recruit goalies until they found the answer. It was Brendan Schroeder, one of Wolf’s assistants, who discovered Mark.

“We went all in, full-court press on Will,” Wolf said. “We got him on campus and put an offer in his hand. He became the centerpiece of everything we did.”

Wolf, now the head coach at NJIT, expected his team to take some lumps in its jump up from Division II. Mark helped alleviate many of them. The Sharks were 1-6 in 2020 but improved dramatically to 6-5 in 2021. They were 7-8 in 2022.

GARY GAIT AND DAVE PIETRAMALA HAD A GOALIE PROBLEM LAST SPRING. Virginia transfer Bobby Gavin (11 starts) and Harrison Thompson (three starts) combined to save just over 40 percent of shots, and Gavin entered the transfer portal after the season.

Wolf (was) convinced that Syracuse (had) found its answer.

“I will bet everything you won’t have a problem in net for the next two years,” he said emphatically. “You’ve found the solution.”
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:56 am
I wouldn’t be surprised with much that Wolf, Sheehan or Morgan do. You win titles and have high level success over time in one level to the degree those guys did and it’s like hiring the FB coach from N Dakota state. They may not be D1 hot coaches but they’ll be better than half off the break. (I’d swap my guy for Sheehan tomorrow)
Wolf actually only coached D2 one season. He knew LIU was moving up to D1 when he took the job. He was OC at Albany back in 2014 when Lyle was there, then was OC at Harvard for a yr before getting the HC job at LIU.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:56 am If Marr ever leaves Albany, Wolf is probably going to be the first person they call.
Yeah I can definitely see that happening.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Wow I just read NJIT was 7 - 92 in there 9 yr history and with Wolf they are 7 - 10 in less then 2 seasons. Man 7 - 92 is actually shocking.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Command Respect: How NJIT Went From the Bottom to Undefeated

Friday February 23rd, 2024 7:00am

Eric Wolf still has a visceral reaction when he thinks about it.

On his first day as coach at NJIT in summer 2022, he held 47 individual meetings. “What’s the biggest thing that bothers you?” he asked his players.

“We go home in the summer, and people make fun of us because we play at NJIT,” they said.

His response: "That’s never gonna happen again.”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ated/62662
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:57 am

Command Respect: How NJIT Went From the Bottom to Undefeated

Friday February 23rd, 2024 7:00am

Eric Wolf still has a visceral reaction when he thinks about it.

On his first day as coach at NJIT in summer 2022, he held 47 individual meetings. “What’s the biggest thing that bothers you?” he asked his players.

“We go home in the summer, and people make fun of us because we play at NJIT,” they said.

His response: "That’s never gonna happen again.”
That's a great first question, an even better answer and a very real and believable thing to bother them the most. Can picture it clear as a bell
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ated/62662
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

That's a great first question and an even better response. That's such a believable thing to bother them the most too. Can see it happening clear as a bell
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The coach has also done a good job at recruiting and retaining players. NJIT's three leading scorers include two attackmen from Claremont (Western Canada's equivalent to the Hill Academy), Arthur Miller and Jack Bowie. Additionally, NJIT has a graduate student, Jessie Roth, who was a strong contributor at Bellarmine as an undergraduate.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:56 am If Marr ever leaves Albany, Wolf is probably going to be the first person they call.
What about Hofstra ?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:43 am
What about Hofstra ?
Wolf would be more than welcome in the CAA.

I believe Tierney has another 4, 5 years at Hofstra - if Wolf can hang in there, both those jobs may be avail.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Watching this game now,

they play an interesting brand of lacrosse, pushing on transition.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:38 am Watching this game now,

they play an interesting brand of lacrosse, pushing on transition.
I was at the game today, and the O is a total 180 from the previous regime. They ball movement, the player movement offball, nobody standing around ball watching, fun to watch. They have a very good chance of winning 10-12 games this year, and might have a chance at the conf championship. That said, they have their 3 toughest opponents on the road, no easy task.

It's amazing what Wolf has done in under 2 years with the same kids for the most part.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That was some solid, solid lacrosse.

5 and 0 now :!:
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

faircornell wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 pm The coach has also done a good job at recruiting and retaining players. NJIT's three leading scorers include two attackmen from Claremont (Western Canada's equivalent to the Hill Academy), Arthur Miller and Jack Bowie. Additionally, NJIT has a graduate student, Jessie Roth, who was a strong contributor at Bellarmine as an undergraduate.
He's an excellent recruiter he brought Will Mark to LIU. He had his 6 top players transfer out of LIU when he left. 2 went to Syracuse, 1 Ohio State, 1 Umass, 1 Stonybrook and 1 Drexel. The man finds underrated talent or undeveloped talent and develops em. 5 - 0 for NJIT is so impressive. Good for those kids.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”