Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Games Today

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:03 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:28 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:41 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:11 pm :)
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 pm 15-12 Syracuse with 11:00 to go. Pretty surprised.
ND hadn't shown anything to think they were some juggernaut. NU win was nice but they've beaten top teams before. Syracuse has more than enough talent to compete. This season is wide open. Expect the unexpected
Not finding the downplaying of ND valid here, this a very good team with several very good players on it.
Haven't seen the word juggernaut, re ND, used by anyone other than you. Bring your A game when you come
to play the Catholic girls in spite of their unjuggernautness
Totally agree.
Expanding on this. I think Notre Dame is good and that Mrs. Moneypenny got outcoached by KT today. She had no answer and very little adjustment in Q3, where Cuse rattled off 6 goals (to none?) and really locked down a lot better on defense when ND had the ball. Two very able teams with flaws. A lot of good lacrosse players and very good athletes.

So Syracuse loses by 1 to NU, and NU loses by four to the Catholics. Syracuse beats the Catholics by 2 in South Bend Alien Football Venue, after losing in the Dome to a Maryland team that promptly lost at home to a Florida team that got smoked by Loyola and UNC. W.T.F.? Is this what parity looks and feels like?
I hope so. It’s about time the selection committee and those running the polls had some real work to do. They’ve had it way too easy for years
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse 5 of 6 on FPSs, all were from a good hash.
GK stopped one of Emma's rockets but I'll take
her firing from there any day. Nattie and Maddy
doing what they should do, Adamson is money,
Muchnick puts it where the GK's not.
Win by 2.
2 of 7 v Maryland.
Lose by 3.
Hmmmmmm.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:54 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:08 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:44 pm How wildly will the polls swing with the games today?
My new top 5 would be

1. BC
2. Michigan
3. NW
4. ND
5. JMU
I am going to think this over the next day or so. But let me politely ask: why Michigan No. 2. I get that they beat a Denver team that a lot of folks think is or should be good. But wins over Jacksonville and Cincinnati, two really poor teams, and a fair USC team don't add up to No. 2, for me anyway. Disclosure: Not a fan or a "hater." Just think the data isn't there yet (and haven't seen them with my own eyes yet).
Jacksonville beat Marquette 18-14. They may not be as bad as advertised. I think that improves the win over Jax.

I do think jumping to 2 is a bit too much, but polls can often swing wildly.

I’ll wait until late Sunday before I make any decisions.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

What's your honest assessment of Maryland so far? To be honest they seem to have the same problem they've had the last few seasons. No elite attackers. May and Clevenger are good but they are what they are, not elite scorers. Edmonson imo is elite but she feels limited in this offense.

This is a big year for the terps. I still think they have enough talent to go on a run but until i see it, i can't expect it to happen. Anything less than a final four appearance will be a disaster on the recuiting trail. Too many up and coming programs for recruits to choose from now and if you aren't selling them on exellence, you have an uphill battle
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:22 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 pm 15-12 Syracuse with 11:00 to go. Pretty surprised.
ND hadn't shown anything to think they were some juggernaut. NU win was nice but they've beaten top teams before. Syracuse has more than enough talent to compete. This season is wide open. Expect the unexpected
Not finding the downplaying of ND valid here, this a very good team with several very good players on it.
Haven't seen the word juggernaut, re ND, used by anyone other than you. Bring your A game when you come
Totally agree.
Expanding on this. I think Notre Dame is good and that Mrs. Moneypenny got outcoached by KT today. She had no answer and very little adjustment in Q3, where Cuse rattled off 6 goals (to none?) and really locked down a lot better on defense when ND had the ball. Two very able teams with flaws. A lot of good lacrosse players and very good athletes.

So Syracuse loses by 1 to NU, and NU loses by four to the Catholics. Syracuse beats the Catholics by 2 in South Bend Alien Football Venue, after losing in the Dome to a Maryland team that promptly lost at home to a Florida team that got smoked by Loyola and UNC. W.T.F.? Is this what parity looks and feels like?
I feel like this also happened a lot last year . Also I know I’m a broken record but does ND not have a back up goalie ? Even to give the starting goalie a break ?
Reminding me of 2020.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:48 am
spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 am Some good games on the slate this weekend. Starting with today we've got UVA-UNC. Let's see what UVA is really made of. MD-Florida will be interesting. Let's see if the Gators have some fight left in them but likely to drop to 0-3. Duke-Clemson will also answer some questions, but I think the Tigers come out on top. Just don't think Duke can hang. ND-Cuse, I'd have had the Orange taking this one preseason, but I think the Irish on home turf will give the Orange another L

Spidey's Lines:
UNC -3.5
UMD -4.5
Clemson -2
Notre Dame - 3.5
I'll wager an imaginary:

$50 on the Powder Blue Crew at Ginny
$50 on Duke
$50 on the Old Line State Chelonians over Flori-day

(I wouldn't touch that ND/SU game with a 10 foot pole.)

Them's my bets, Spidey ol' bean.
0 for 3. Thus endeth my brief time as an imaginary gambler.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:26 pm
spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 am Some good games on the slate this weekend. Starting with today we've got UVA-UNC. Let's see what UVA is really made of. MD-Florida will be interesting. Let's see if the Gators have some fight left in them but likely to drop to 0-3. Duke-Clemson will also answer some questions, but I think the Tigers come out on top. Just don't think Duke can hang. ND-Cuse, I'd have had the Orange taking this one preseason, but I think the Irish on home turf will give the Orange another L

Spidey's Lines:
UNC -3.5
UMD -4.5
Clemson -2
Notre Dame - 3.5
I'll wager an imaginary:

$50 on Duke

I have a feeling this is gonna be the most fun season in the last few years. At least as long as I’ve been watching. Almost like any of these top top teams can beat each other on any given day. With the exception of BC. 😁. Lopinto with the game winner. Book that Spidey
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Penn State lost to Princeton . This is going to be a carbon copy of their season a few years ago when they won four games. They may win more, but if it’s any decent team they are going to get smoked. As a Penn State fan, I am hoping they let her go.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

With so much parity displayed this past week it is the perfect time to see how BC and NU match up. They play this Thursday at BC.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:26 pm

Spidey's Lines:
UNC -3.5
UMD -4.5
Clemson -2
Notre Dame - 3.5
I'll wager an imaginary:

$50 on Duke

Lines weren't exactly on point, but the book still wins!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:44 pm How wildly will the polls swing with the games today?
My new top 5 would be

1. BC
2. Michigan
3. NW
4. ND
5. JMU
I am going to think this over the next day or so. But let me politely ask: why Michigan No. 2. I get that they beat a Denver team that a lot of folks think is or should be good. But wins over Jacksonville and Cincinnati, two really poor teams, and a fair USC team don't add up to No. 2, for me anyway. Disclosure: Not a fan or a "hater." Just think the data isn't there yet (and haven't seen them with my own eyes yet).
Just Eye test for me. 2 dominant performances against Denver and USC. They looked much better than NU against Colorado. I realize that NU will likely be ahead of them in the polls, but this is how I would vote.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:19 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:22 pm
Totally agree.

I feel like this also happened a lot last year . Also I know I’m a broken record but does ND not have a back up goalie ? Even to give the starting goalie a break ?
Reminding me of 2020.
They were really good in 2020
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

spidey44 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:13 pm Lines weren't exactly on point, but the book still wins!
In one sense, yes. But on the other hand, you did exactly what Vegas does--come up with odds that compels one to plunk down a wager. Well done, spidey ol' bean.

(I think I'll go back to doing the same thing--making the lines instead of betting them.) 🤣
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:41 am
spidey44 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:13 pm Lines weren't exactly on point, but the book still wins!
In one sense, yes. But on the other hand, you did exactly what Vegas does--come up with odds that compels one to plunk down a wager. Well done, spidey ol' bean.

(I think I'll go back to doing the same thing--making the lines instead of betting them.) 🤣
That was my plan of course ;)
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:59 pm
My new top 5 would be

1. BC
2. Michigan
3. NW
4. ND
5. JMU
Just Eye test for me. 2 dominant performances against Denver and USC. They looked much better than NU against Colorado. I realize that NU will likely be ahead of them in the polls, but this is how I would vote.
Totally get that, and you may be right. Just having the discussion.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:16 pm What's your honest assessment of Maryland so far? To be honest they seem to have the same problem they've had the last few seasons. No elite attackers. May and Clevenger are good but they are what they are, not elite scorers. Edmonson imo is elite but she feels limited in this offense.

This is a big year for the terps. I still think they have enough talent to go on a run but until i see it, i can't expect it to happen. Anything less than a final four appearance will be a disaster on the recuiting trail. Too many up and coming programs for recruits to choose from now and if you aren't selling them on exellence, you have an uphill battle

Good assessment. They can win it all with the roster but haven’t shown killer instinct at all. The goalie is highly overrated on free positions I’ve literally seen her duck to get out of the way of the ball. She goes through periods of not stopping anything at all basically like nobody is in goal. They need to figure out how to get Edmonson as the focal point. She’s elite. UMD will always be able to recruit since the school will always have the most championships located in the iconic lacrosse state, big ten and even if down can sell the opportunity to return to royalty and wear the iconic flag trimmed uniforms.

Need to change the name of “the plex” to “Old Bay field”. Get Old Bay to pay a nominal fee for an iconic Maryland name .
Last edited by Essexfenwick on Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

What a difference a week makes.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:03 pm 19-9 Clemson ….
Crazy that the Tigers put up 20 with 2 new attackers on the field. Their returning leading scorer was unavailable due to injury and another graduate attacker was out as well according the broadcast.

In another thread I picked the opposite result of the Duke, Maryland, and ND games. Not getting into gambling anytime soon…

Michigan is for real but is the big 10 down? Hop, Penn State, OSU, all had tough losses yesterday… might be Michigan vs NW for the title.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:20 am
Crazy that the Tigers put up 20 with 2 new attackers on the field. Their returning leading scorer was unavailable due to injury and another graduate attacker was out as well according the broadcast.

In another thread I picked the opposite result of the Duke, Maryland, and ND games. Not getting into gambling anytime soon…

Michigan is for real but is the big 10 down? Hop, Penn State, OSU, all had tough losses yesterday… might be Michigan vs NW for the title.
Penn State looks bad and it may be early but it seems like we overstated what JHU was going to be. I’m looking forward to watching JMU today without IP. My daughter says they don’t need her……I just want to see
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

flushlax77 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:20 am

top to bottom probably similar to last year

Michigan, Rutgers and MD improved
NW, PSU down a bit
Hop feels about the same.
OSU doesnt matter since there is a big gap between them and the rest.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”