~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxdadj

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by laxdadj »

Ryan Moran, like Chemotti and Metzy before him looked for kids with a higher ceiling and ones that had grit to succeed. Van was comfortable recruiting for UVA. UVA clearly doesn't need to cast their net as wide to catch kids like Loyola does. How many kids choose Loyola over an ACC school? Van has control of offense and has significant input on recruiting the offensive talent. Van has had a great career but perhaps he is unable to communicate as effectively with today's student athlete. Watch his sideline demeanor. I'm surprised at the lack of communication he has with middies on sideline during line changes. I don't see much positive reinforcement. Time for Coach Toomey to move in a new direction.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Laxfam4life86 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:11 pm Van has more say and control than he should. When Ryan recruited, he made it perfectly clear he was looking for tenacity, not stars. He was looking for kids that would “run through a wall” for the team and did not necessarily pay attention to rankings. He got that level of dedication from his recruits… Olmstead for one. What we are seeing now are all Van’s recruits who seem to lack the heart and tenacity that made this team successful for years. Some of these kids are complacent because they know changes will never be made. There are a few that can barely make it to practice, prolonge injuries and rehab etc. “It’s anyone’s game and “new year, clean slate” is all BS because the roster rarely changes and the same underperformers walk right back into their positions. My problem is that Toomey is talking to these middies telling them to be ready to go in and that they’ve shown and proven themselves only to never set foot on the field. There’s a big disconnect somewhere. Charlie needs to have Van on a tighter leash.
Sounds like you’ve got a kid on the team Or some kind of inside knowledge. Would love to hear more.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Best player on the field is Staudt Needs help from the D Too much ball watching ssdm getting beat

Could be a long day for hounds
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:26 pm Best player on the field is Staudt Needs help from the D Too much ball watching ssdm getting beat

Could be a long day for hounds
If only we had some middies. Our attack is f$&king awesome. Shooting great!!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

UGH!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

New week, same result Not ready to play
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:03 pm New week, same result Not ready to play
Just an embarrassment. The last three games our offense has disappeared. Three guys scored. THREE. We have scored
16 goals total in the past three games. When this season started I looked at their lineup and was worried about a young defense. With 5 senior/5th year starters at attack and midfield I was very confident that the last of our worries would be offense. How wrong I was. This offense is bad. Plain and simple. BAD. Other than Binney , who came out of his slump with two goals, the entire group has been invisible. The number of poor choices when shooting was appalling. Time after time we saw a guy take a poor shot which the Rutgers goalie handled easily. I just watched the replay on TV and the announcers kept commenting on the bad shots. There is no flow. No middies can beat a guy one v one (although Binney did on a nice hitch and roll- defender probably forgot he was a lefty).
Things look bad for Tuesday against a good Towson team. This is a poorly coached offense. Way too much talent to play this way. Sad.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Have been pretty quiet up to this point but after today I couldn’t resist getting back on…this team is falling apart. The talent is there on both sides of the ball but the boys have regressed each week. Could always chalk it up to the tough slate early on but they are still better than this.

As far as the offense goes I am at a loss for words. With all the talent returning, there is no excuse for the output the last 3 weeks. A lot of talk it seems on who should be out there: at the end of the day someone at the midfield needs to make a play. I thought today Dylan Binney was a nice surprise and by far our best middy…other than that it was ugly. We can talk about the young guys forever but ultimately the veteran guys who have played for years need to make a play. It’s simple as that—they’ve shown it here and there in the past but it looks as if these guys aren’t even really dodging, just going through the motions. Something has got to change and I couldn’t tell you what it needs to be, just need a vet to step up and say enough is enough

Defensively I can’t be too upset. Pathetic showing today but still only gave up at 9 at half. Not ideal but 9-7 is much different then 9-2. Staudt has been the best player on Loyola and it’s not even close. Good that we’ve had superb goalie play but can’t ask the goaltender to be the guy week in and week out. Even today while he wasn’t himself it was more than serviceable—close defense has to be more organized. Far too many easy looks: they’ve been there the last couple weeks, but way too many today. Just like on O, we need more from the other vets down there…mcgilcuddy, sally, bean, etc. Not that they’ve been bad at all but they need to be great week in and week out. W the losses from last year this year has been a pleasant surprise, so I’ll leave it at that. I can’t even get started at the faceoff dot: that could very well be a lost cause.

Good news is they are almost through this tough stretch. Need a big win against a rival and then on the road at Colgate. If so we’re 3-3 which isn’t the end of the world w the entire conference still at play. Not giving up hope yet, still a lot of lacrosse out there
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:39 pm Have been pretty quiet up to this point but after today I couldn’t resist getting back on…this team is falling apart. The talent is there on both sides of the ball but the boys have regressed each week. Could always chalk it up to the tough slate early on but they are still better than this.

As far as the offense goes I am at a loss for words. With all the talent returning, there is no excuse for the output the last 3 weeks. A lot of talk it seems on who should be out there: at the end of the day someone at the midfield needs to make a play. I thought today Dylan Binney was a nice surprise and by far our best middy…other than that it was ugly. We can talk about the young guys forever but ultimately the veteran guys who have played for years need to make a play. It’s simple as that—they’ve shown it here and there in the past but it looks as if these guys aren’t even really dodging, just going through the motions. Something has got to change and I couldn’t tell you what it needs to be, just need a vet to step up and say enough is enough

Defensively I can’t be too upset. Pathetic showing today but still only gave up at 9 at half. Not ideal but 9-7 is much different then 9-2. Staudt has been the best player on Loyola and it’s not even close. Good that we’ve had superb goalie play but can’t ask the goaltender to be the guy week in and week out. Even today while he wasn’t himself it was more than serviceable—close defense has to be more organized. Far too many easy looks: they’ve been there the last couple weeks, but way too many today. Just like on O, we need more from the other vets down there…mcgilcuddy, sally, bean, etc. Not that they’ve been bad at all but they need to be great week in and week out. W the losses from last year this year has been a pleasant surprise, so I’ll leave it at that. I can’t even get started at the faceoff dot: that could very well be a lost cause.

Good news is they are almost through this tough stretch. Need a big win against a rival and then on the road at Colgate. If so we’re 3-3 which isn’t the end of the world w the entire conference still at play. Not giving up hope yet, still a lot of lacrosse out there
Do you really feel that they will change their style of play? Maybe Van needs to put down the script and try something new It really is embarrassing to watch

Midweek Towson always gives us fits

We could be 500 in conference play if we do not improve
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Major step backward yesterday. Complete breakdown in all aspects. Hopefully the team has hit the bottom and can build upwards. Faceoffs, more of the same. Staudt is our guy but clearly wasn’t seeing the ball. Defense under a ton of pressure and some struggles to keep up with Rutgers athletes especially at midfield. Offensively, against an average defense and goalie, poor shooting and inability to beat a weak SSDM unit from the top. Terrible passing to the middle causing turnovers.
Positives were the play of Binney and Watkinson. Not a lot more to note. Watch the tape, get angry, throw it away and be ready on Tuesday night. Go Hounds!!!
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Don't be so quick to feed MVA to the sharks. Some of this was bad shooting decisions and bad shot placement. Early in the game to shoot it right into the goalies stick is not the start that you want. Winning a FO down 8 and taking it right to the goal and then shooting a stick side high shot right into the goalies stick is also not on MVA. Do they need to tinker with the O- YES. Making him out to be the sacrificial virgin NO. Towson is a team that is on a serious roll now. Let's see how that goes. Take a deep breath and Trust Charlie. If I had a son, I would be happy to have him play for Charlie and there are quite a few coaches that I would blatantly tell him to avoid. He deserves your support.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

First mistake was having Poitras at attack instead of midfield. It’s impacting him and Minicus.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:42 am First mistake was having Poitras at attack instead of midfield. It’s impacting him and Minicus.
Not sure I agree with you. Season turned around last year when James, Minicus and Poitras played attack. 13 goals in first game and five last week. You move Poitras to midfield and Lindsey to attack? Ball dies in his stick way too often. Problem isn’t Poitras. Problem is veteran middies like Higgins and Kamish and Heuston disappear all season long yet play 75% of possession. That’s on Van.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Another frustrating moment from yesterdays game. Loyola possess the ball in the 1st quarter just before the game is getting ready to be out of control. Toomey calls a great timeout and the team regroups in the huddle and is ready to run an offensive set. Next thing I know, Rutgers has the ball and the hounds are man down because of an illegal equipment penalty. And yes, Rutgers scores. Should be a tough week of practice for players making these type of mistakes.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Hound93 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:29 pm Another frustrating moment from yesterdays game. Loyola possess the ball in the 1st quarter just before the game is getting ready to be out of control. Toomey calls a great timeout and the team regroups in the huddle and is ready to run an offensive set. Next thing I know, Rutgers has the ball and the hounds are man down because of an illegal equipment penalty. And yes, Rutgers scores. Should be a tough week of practice for players making these type of mistakes.
A stick penalty at this level shows the lack of discipline. It also and the same goes with poor shots and turnovers Played well against Gtown but has progressively gotten worse every week
Laxfam4life86

Post by Laxfam4life86 »

And this is where you are wrong. You would think it would be a tough week for those players who continuously make the same mistakes that should not be repeatedly occurring at this level. Almost no repercussions, glossed over at practice and the same kids will assume their positions the next game. It used to be cleaner and more aggressive because the kids respected the senior leaders on the team. Think Pat Spencer days. True leaders off and on the field. Right now you have kids sitting there thinking at some point the sloppy play won’t be tolerated and Van or Toomey will switch things up…. Nope. Toomey will whisper to the kids just enough encouragement or insinuate eminent play that will never come. Untapped talent all over the sideline and mediocrity on the field.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Laxfam4life86 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm And this is where you are wrong. You would think it would be a tough week for those players who continuously make the same mistakes that should not be repeatedly occurring at this level. Almost no repercussions, glossed over at practice and the same kids will assume their positions the next game. It used to be cleaner and more aggressive because the kids respected the senior leaders on the team. Think Pat Spencer days. True leaders off and on the field. Right now you have kids sitting there thinking at some point the sloppy play won’t be tolerated and Van or Toomey will switch things up…. Nope. Toomey will whisper to the kids just enough encouragement or insinuate eminent play that will never come. Untapped talent all over the sideline and mediocrity on the field.
Yes. Another “play the bench” guy. Great. I’m sure there’s a top 10 team just sitting there watching each game. If only this bad coaching staff would play them. They’re “4 stars” fergodsakes!!! Didn’t you see their HS highlight videos on YouTube??!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:44 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:42 am First mistake was having Poitras at attack instead of midfield. It’s impacting him and Minicus.
Not sure I agree with you. Season turned around last year when James, Minicus and Poitras played attack. 13 goals in first game and five last week. You move Poitras to midfield and Lindsey to attack? Ball dies in his stick way too often. Problem isn’t Poitras. Problem is veteran middies like Higgins and Kamish and Heuston disappear all season long yet play 75% of possession. That’s on Van.
Swap Kamish and Poitras?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 pm
Laxfam4life86 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm And this is where you are wrong. You would think it would be a tough week for those players who continuously make the same mistakes that should not be repeatedly occurring at this level. Almost no repercussions, glossed over at practice and the same kids will assume their positions the next game. It used to be cleaner and more aggressive because the kids respected the senior leaders on the team. Think Pat Spencer days. True leaders off and on the field. Right now you have kids sitting there thinking at some point the sloppy play won’t be tolerated and Van or Toomey will switch things up…. Nope. Toomey will whisper to the kids just enough encouragement or insinuate eminent play that will never come. Untapped talent all over the sideline and mediocrity on the field.
Yes. Another “play the bench” guy. Great. I’m sure there’s a top 10 team just sitting there watching each game. If only this bad coaching staff would play them. They’re “4 stars” fergodsakes!!! Didn’t you see their HS highlight videos on YouTube??!!
Not a “play the bench guy” but am a “why haven’t the four star recruits developed enough to play” guy. Either it’s bad recruiting or bad coaching. When a smaller school like Loyola gets high end recruits they need to develop and play. It’s like missing on first round draft picks in football.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 pm
+1

I love how the "play the bench" guys around here know exactly what's happening at closed practices, with kids attitudes, injuries, work ethics, and in the meeting and weight room for the past 8 mos.

Lax Fam 86 and those guys clearly know more than the coaching staff.

:lol:

:roll:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”