D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by joewillie78 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:40 am
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:34 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:54 am ILs Stamper on Teat,
Teat Doing Teat Things

Yes, Jeff Teat is a great scorer. He leads the NLL with 33 goals and 68 points and his early-career per-game scoring pace is ahead of those of John Tavares and John Grant Jr., as IL Indoor's Adam Levi noted and TSN shared during their broadcast of the game in Laval.

A few moments stood out for me in underscoring how good of a player he is beyond just the points. One was the play mentioned earlier, when he raced to get body position on a defender so that he had an easy go of picking up the ball as a rebound came towards him.

Another was about nine minutes into the first quarter. It was one of several times that Teat ran back in transition defence, and he made a key check—again coming off a rebound—to take away an open look from a Toronto forward. The fact that the league's leading scorer is not a liability when he goes back to play defence, and in fact is quite a capable defender because of his instincts and work ethic, goes a long way both in actual game play and in terms of leadership.
Is JEFF TEAT now the BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET? It sure seems that way right now.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Looks like NLL is thinking along the same lines re: Teat,
Report: New York Riptide Moving to Ottawa Starting Next Season

The New York Riptide are moving to Ottawa, according to a Tuesday report from TSN 1200's John Rodenburg. The report comes on the heels of the Riptide's trip to Montréal in an entertaining NLL unBOXed series match premiere. They've had a turnaround season with the league's leading scorer Jeff Teat...
I believe Jeff has done the most for the Pro's in regards to notoriety and exposure, since Rabil. His exploits in the World games and the Pro leagues have been sensational. Like every sport where their has to be a BEST player on the planet like for awhile Tiger, Gretzky, Brady etc., for Lacrosse, it has to be Teat right now.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

At the risk of simply stating the obvious, the Cornell/Denver match-up is a serious early season challenge for the Big Red. Between Denver's home field advantage, Denver's altitude, and the Pioneers' added two games of experience, this will not be an easy test for the Cornell. Massey puts the game at 50/50 chance of victory for each team, with a slight advantage for Cornell.

Weather on the day is predicted as approximately 60 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Best of luck to the Big Red!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:59 am
Teat Doing Teat Things

Yes, Jeff Teat is a great scorer. He leads the NLL with 33 goals and 68 points and his early-career per-game scoring pace is ahead of those of John Tavares and John Grant Jr., as IL Indoor's Adam Levi noted and TSN shared during their broadcast of the game in Laval.

A few moments stood out for me in underscoring how good of a player he is beyond just the points. One was the play mentioned earlier, when he raced to get body position on a defender so that he had an easy go of picking up the ball as a rebound came towards him.

Another was about nine minutes into the first quarter. It was one of several times that Teat ran back in transition defence, and he made a key check—again coming off a rebound—to take away an open look from a Toronto forward. The fact that the league's leading scorer is not a liability when he goes back to play defence, and in fact is quite a capable defender because of his instincts and work ethic, goes a long way both in actual game play and in terms of leadership.
Is JEFF TEAT now the BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET? It sure seems that way right now.
Gobigred
Joewillie78

The New York Riptide are moving to Ottawa, according to a Tuesday report from TSN 1200's John Rodenburg. The report comes on the heels of the Riptide's trip to Montréal in an entertaining NLL unBOXed series match premiere. They've had a turnaround season with the league's leading scorer Jeff Teat...
I believe Jeff has done the most for the Pro's in regards to notoriety and exposure, since Rabil. His exploits in the World games and the Pro leagues have been sensational. Like every sport where their has to be a BEST player on the planet like for awhile Tiger, Gretzky, Brady etc., for Lacrosse, it has to be Teat right now.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Unfortunately, COVID robbed Teat and deprived us from seeing one of the all time greats. He really only played three seasons. Had he not lost 2020 and if he took advantage of the eligibility rules, he could have played one or two more seasons. Even if he played one more year, he would have finished with about 340-350 career points. If he played a 5th season as a grad student, he may have set the record for career points. Plus that 2020 Cornell team was loaded. He lost a chance for a title and a Tewaaraton. He was a phenomenal player with the best field vision I have ever seen. His 2018 season was remarkable, but was limited by the "lock off Teat" strategy at the end and Milliman's inability to adjust to it.

He will be forever underrated because of the year he lost.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:30 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:59 am
Teat Doing Teat Things

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Unfortunately, COVID robbed Teat and deprived us from seeing one of the all time greats. He really only played three seasons. Had he not lost 2020 and if he took advantage of the eligibility rules, he could have played one or two more seasons. Even if he played one more year, he would have finished with about 340-350 career points. If he played a 5th season as a grad student, he may have set the record for career points. Plus that 2020 Cornell team was loaded. He lost a chance for a title and a Tewaaraton. He was a phenomenal player with the best field vision I have ever seen. His 2018 season was remarkable, but was limited by the "lock off Teat" strategy at the end and Milliman's inability to adjust to it.

He will be forever underrated because of the year he lost.
Agree on all those points. The LAST GAME of Teats career against then #1 Penn State, was in my top 5 all-time greatest Cornell games where with about 30 seconds to go, Cornell down 1 and everyone on the Planet knows Jeff's getting the ball, of course he dodges a few moves, and completely schooled the dman and then rifles his game tieing shot into the net, Petrakis wins the ensuing faceoff and puts the game winner away himself. Cornell to 5-0 and a #1 ranking.

Teat is Top 5 all-time Cornellian(don't even need last names)
1. Eamon
2. Mike
3. Jeff
4. Robbie
5. Danny

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Joewillie --- I flew to Charlotte and attended that game vs. Penn State. I rank it the 2nd most exciting Cornell game* I've attended...in decades.*
Cornell came in ranked 5 and Tambroni-coached Penn State was 2. They were loaded, Ament, O'Keefe, and Kelly to name a few.
Don't think I've seen a Cornell team start like this against a highly ranked team since the 1977 national championship vs. Hopkins. Cornell came out flying and totally dominated the first half...I think scoring 13 or 14 goals...up something like 10-0 at some point. Everything went right. Petrakis had a great first half and PSU even pulled their great FOGO Arceri early. The 2nd half was a reversal. I believe Penn State finally cut it to one at 14-13, and Petrakis won a clamp cleanly and scored himself to make it 15-13. Penn st. finally tied the game at 16-16 and then went ahead 17-16 with about a minute left. Milliman calls a timeout and he (or Buczek who was the OC) basically called for 5 players to pretty much isolate and put the ball in Teats' hands. I recall that Teat controlled the ball for almost 30 seconds - unbelievably, Penn State sent no help while Teat was did a few rocker moves, curled to the middle (still no PSU help) and put a sidearm shot in the corner to tie the score. The unbelievable ending had Penn State winning the ensuing FO but losing possession in front of Ierlan; Dom Doria picks up the loose ball and throws a wild "fling" downfield to Petrakis...who after losing the face-off, never gets off the field or even follows the play into Cornell's defensive zone. He catches the pass (almost like "basket-hanging" in hoops) and goes in undefended and scores.
Cornell fans go wild, everyone assumes Cornell will move up to #1 or #2...and on the following Tuesday, the season is called off. Ecstasy to Agony.

*1st most most exciting Cornell games I've attended: 1976 National Championship vs. Maryland
2nd --- Cornell - Penn State in 2020
3rd --- Cornell loss to Duke in 2007 National Semis
4th --- Cornell win over Albany in 2007 NCAA Quarters
5th --- Cornell loss to Hopkins in 1987 NCAA Final
Many great memories...
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 am Joewillie --- I flew to Charlotte and attended that game vs. Penn State. I rank it the 2nd most exciting Cornell game* I've attended...in decades.*
Cornell came in ranked 5 and Tambroni-coached Penn State was 2. They were loaded, Ament, O'Keefe, and Kelly to name a few.
Don't think I've seen a Cornell team start like this against a highly ranked team since the 1977 national championship vs. Hopkins. Cornell came out flying and totally dominated the first half...I think scoring 13 or 14 goals...up something like 10-0 at some point. Everything went right. Petrakis had a great first half and PSU even pulled their great FOGO Arceri early. The 2nd half was a reversal. I believe Penn State finally cut it to one at 14-13, and Petrakis won a clamp cleanly and scored himself to make it 15-13. Penn st. finally tied the game at 16-16 and then went ahead 17-16 with about a minute left. Milliman calls a timeout and he (or Buczek who was the OC) basically called for 5 players to pretty much isolate and put the ball in Teats' hands. I recall that Teat controlled the ball for almost 30 seconds - unbelievably, Penn State sent no help while Teat was did a few rocker moves, curled to the middle (still no PSU help) and put a sidearm shot in the corner to tie the score. The unbelievable ending had Penn State winning the ensuing FO but losing possession in front of Ierlan; Dom Doria picks up the loose ball and throws a wild "fling" downfield to Petrakis...who after losing the face-off, never gets off the field or even follows the play into Cornell's defensive zone. He catches the pass (almost like "basket-hanging" in hoops) and goes in undefended and scores.
Cornell fans go wild, everyone assumes Cornell will move up to #1 or #2...and on the following Tuesday, the season is called off. Ecstasy to Agony.

*1st most most exciting Cornell games I've attended: 1976 National Championship vs. Maryland
Many great memories...
Cornell greatest game ever Hopkins/Cornell 1977 at Schoellkopf during our incredible winning streak. Hopkins is demolishing us in the 1st half, like 8-1, or something. We come out ON FIRE in the 2nd half, Mackasey stops everything he see's, and we win like 11-9

It was about 75 degrees, and my frat brought a keg to the game. It took me about 3 days to recover from that game.

Greatest Cornell memory for me.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 am Joewillie --- I flew to Charlotte and attended that game vs. Penn State. I rank it the 2nd most exciting Cornell game* I've attended...in decades.*

Many great memories...
Cornell greatest game ever Hopkins/Cornell 1977 at Schoellkopf during our incredible winning streak. Hopkins is demolishing us in the 1st half, like 8-1, or something. We come out ON FIRE in the 2nd half, Mackasey stops everything he see's, and we win like 11-9

It was about 75 degrees, and my frat brought a keg to the game. It took me about 3 days to recover from that game.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The '78 Hobart @ Cornell game was pretty damn exciting.. I think it is the only, or at most 1 of 2 or 3, men's regular season lacrosse games to be featured in SI.
Last edited by oldbartman on Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

24 hours until DU game and the forecast looks perfect, low 60's with sunshine.

Let's hope that the team is able to adjust to the altitude prior to the game. Anyone know when they arrive in Denver?

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2024/2/2 ... rosse.aspx
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly, Joewillie, I've filled in likely last names & positions).
joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:25 am
1. Eamon (McEneaney A)
2. Mike (French A)
3. Jeff (Teat A)
4. Robbie (Pannell A)
5. Danny (Mackesey G)

Gobigred
Joewillie78
If this is correct, then I'm glad to see Mackesey on the list, as he is the only non-attack player.

But with this said, I'd like to take position bias out of the equation by proposing two other names. One of them was (is) perhaps the best player ever at his position; the other is more of a tossup, with other great ones at his position.

x. Gavin (D)
y. Max (M)
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:08 pm

Many great memories...

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The '78 Hobart @ Cornell game was pretty damn exciting.. I think it is the only, or at most1 of 2 or 3, men's regular season lacrosse games to be featured in SI.
Scared the crap out of me, as a wise guy, punk Cornell student who thought, no D2 school is going to come into our house and beat the most dominant Lax team ever, and ruin our winning streak.

Marino and Jaegar saved us that day.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Consecutive Wins
42—Cornell, March 20, 1976, to May 20, 1978
The longest winning streak in college lacrosse is 33 games by Navy from 1964 to 1967. Cornell can surpass that record ...
mfp

Post by mfp »

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:54 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:08 pm

Many great memories...

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The '78 Hobart @ Cornell game was pretty damn exciting.. I think it is the only, or at most1 of 2 or 3, men's regular season lacrosse games to be featured in SI.
Scared the crap out of me, as a wise guy, punk Cornell student who thought, no D2 school is going to come into our house and beat the most dominant Lax team ever, and ruin our winning streak.

Marino and Jaegar saved us that day.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
We were D 3 then. Until 1980, the D2 & D3 championship was combined and Hobart was the reigning combined champ for both '76 and '77 when this game was played. Some all time greats on both sides.
mfp

Post by mfp »

Denver coach’s show: https://denverpioneers.com/podcasts/den ... -brown/181

The Cornell game preview starts at 11:00 to go, but there’s not much game talk after the first 2-3 minutes. There is a little discussion of Cornell earlier in the podcast. Basically:

1) Kirst is a top 5 player and Firth is one of the top freshman, if not the top freshman.

2) Cornell’s rope unit is very talented and very aggressive in pushing the pace. As a result, DU has to be sharp at all times.
semsox

Post by semsox »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 am *1st most most exciting Cornell games I've attended: 1976 National Championship vs. Maryland
Many great memories...
I was still a student when I attended the 2007 NCAA Quarters, and for Seibald, the length he covered and speed he achieved with that trail check seems to grow every year. An underrated all time great game.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:50 pm Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly, Joewillie, I've filled in likely last names & positions).
joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:25 am
1. Eamon (McEneaney A)
2. Mike (French A)
3. Jeff (Teat A)
4. Robbie (Pannell A)
5. Danny (Mackesey G)

Gobigred
Joewillie78
If this is correct, then I'm glad to see Mackesey on the list, as he is the only non-attack player.

But with this said, I'd like to take position bias out of the equation by proposing two other names. One of them was (is) perhaps the best player ever at his position; the other is more of a tossup, with other great ones at his position.

x. Gavin (D)
y. Max (M)
Yup, you are correct. I have always thought that Mackasey was the best GT I ever saw play the game.

My fondest "Mad" MAX memory was the Cornell/Syracuse game, I think in the Dome, score tied with 7 seconds left after a stoppage, with MAX taking the ball in to the left of the Cuse Cage, miraculously with the defender giving MAX all sorts of room thinking he is going to throw a pass toward the cage.

Us Cornell fans are screaming " MAX, just take it straight to the net" Well, of course MAX does just that and blows by that defender and scores the winner.

Look, all the great players, Cornell has had, a top 5 is tough. The 5 I picked, I looked again and can't take any out.

It's like trying to do a top 5 for the yankees: Ruth, gehrig, dimaggio, Berra, mantle, maris, Jeter, ford, Munson, and on and on. Same with Cornell Lax.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

semsox -- you are correct about the 2007 Cornell - UAlbany quarterfinal game and Seibold's trail check. It's similar to the proverbial story about how the size of a fish caught somehow growing in size year after year.
But I don't think this game is underrated - the issue is more that it took place in '07...over 15 years ago. Unless one was lucky enough to see it in person or on TV, it's remembered only for Seibold's trail check.

Some background on the game: It was played at Princeton in Palmer Stadium, before Class of 1952 was built. This was the year that Cornell got the biggest NCAA seeding screwjob - EVER. They were undefeated and beat Duke (I believe on the road) during the regular season. Duke gets the 1 seed...and Cornell, unbelievably, is seeded 4. Unfortunately, this put the two best teams playing in the semis (another on my top 5 list of best games ever...with Cornell making a miracle come back, tying the game, but losing on an unsettled goal with 3 seconds left).
While Cornell was a definite favorite, this was a great Albany team (think Merrick Thompson and Frank Resartitis(sp-?); the game went back and forth with Cornell giving up a late 2 goal lead prior to OT. In regard to Seibold's check, it came in OT; Albany was breaking out in transition for what looked like was a good chance for the game winning goal. My guess is that Max was about 20 yards behind UA's middie, at most 25 yards, but that's a huge start*, given that players are running full tilt. Max accelerates into full gear and catches the guy (?-Corey Small an excellent UA middie) and dislodges the ball with a great trail check. Cornell breaks the other way after this or one possession later and the great John Glynn scores in transition on a pass from Eric Pittard. My son had a poster in his room for many years of Glynn jumping into Pittard's arms, surrounded by a Cornell dogpile.
*I've listened to some Cornell people say that Max was as far as 50 yards behind; a bit much.
Another bit of trivia is that the second game of the quarterfinal doubleheader was Hopkins vs. Georgetown. Georgetown's best player was Brodie Merrill, who until recently still played at a high level, even on last year's Canadian National Team and the PLL.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

No, the other semi was Hopkins-Delaware. The latter upset Virginia to advance and featured a great faceoff guy who'd win quickly and race to the goal, setting up an easy score. Pietramala negated him by having his faceoff guy jump the gun, giving Delaware the ball but in a settled situation that could be defended better. Result: an easy 8-3 Hop win...and a subsequent rules change penalizing a team after too many faceoff violations in a half.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

You are correct.
The Hopkins - Georgetown was even further back; it was the 2nd game of a quarterfinal double-header. What threw me was that it was also played in Princeton, but in 2005. That makes Brodie M even older than I thought. Unfortunately, the Cornell team was IMO still developing and lost to a better Duke team.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:39 am semsox -- you are correct about the 2007 Cornell - UAlbany quarterfinal game and Seibold's trail check. It's similar to the proverbial story about how the size of a fish caught somehow growing in size year after year.
But I don't think this game is underrated - the issue is more that it took place in '07...over 15 years ago. Unless one was lucky enough to see it in person or on TV, it's remembered only for Seibold's trail check.

Some background on the game: It was played at Princeton in Palmer Stadium, before Class of 1952 was built. This was the year that Cornell got the biggest NCAA seeding screwjob - EVER. They were undefeated and beat Duke (I believe on the road) during the regular season. Duke gets the 1 seed...and Cornell, unbelievably, is seeded 4. Unfortunately, this put the two best teams playing in the semis (another on my top 5 list of best games ever...with Cornell making a miracle come back, tying the game, but losing on an unsettled goal with 3 seconds left).
While Cornell was a definite favorite, this was a great Albany team (think Merrick Thompson and Frank Resartitis(sp-?); the game went back and forth with Cornell giving up a late 2 goal lead prior to OT. In regard to Seibold's check, it came in OT; Albany was breaking out in transition for what looked like was a good chance for the game winning goal. My guess is that Max was about 20 yards behind UA's middie, at most 25 yards, but that's a huge start*, given that players are running full tilt. Max accelerates into full gear and catches the guy (?-Corey Small an excellent UA middie) and dislodges the ball with a great trail check. Cornell breaks the other way after this or one possession later and the great John Glynn scores in transition on a pass from Eric Pittard. My son had a poster in his room for many years of Glynn jumping into Pittard's arms, surrounded by a Cornell dogpile.
*I've listened to some Cornell people say that Max was as far as 50 yards behind; a bit much.
Another bit of trivia is that the second game of the quarterfinal doubleheader was Hopkins vs. Georgetown. Georgetown's best player was Brodie Merrill, who until recently still played at a high level, even on last year's Canadian National Team and the PLL.
VRR, thanks for the detailed description. It makes me thankful for ESPN+ these days. I guess I'll keep my subscription no matter how much the bastards at Disney try to extort from us.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”