~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:31 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:00 pm Terp fan here but the game really surprised me. Thought we'd see a 1-goal kind of game.

As an outsider, two things stood out to me (aside from your goalie keeping the game as close as it was). One, your rope unit didn't hold up too well. The Terps attacked the shorties and LSMs on inverts for the entire game.Outside of Sally, the physical differences between Greyhound shorties and whoever they guarded was noticeable.

Two, the offensive midfield needs to be more assertive. Since Loyola wanted to run so much of its offense through the attack unit (and it's easy to see why given how good those 3 attackmen are), it made the midfield look like bystanders. I've been a huge fan of Higgins since he arrived on campus there. I always feel like he can be a QB from the midfield kind of guy. When he dodges on inverts, he's so dangerous.

It felt like the game plan success from the Georgetown game affected the game plan against Maryland. The Terps just sat on Loyola's attack unit, and the whole offense bogged down. Expected the midfield to do more.

After Maryland scrimmaged Georgetown, it was apparent that Georgetown's close defense couldn't match feet; and James, Poitras, and Minicus annihilated those match-ups. But Maryland's close defense is the defense's strength. Seemed like a strange thing to attack.

But beat Hopkins!
Couldn’t agree more with your post. Middies have to do more. When Higgins and Kamish arrived on campus I was excited. Each year though they’ve seemed to regress. As a freshman Higging had 6 G and 14 points in limited duty. As a sophomore he showed his dodging ability and put up 15G. Last year he only had 12 G and only 5 in the last ten games of the season. I really thought he’d become a 20-25 goal per year guys with his physical skill sets. Watching the end of last season and the beginning of this it’s almost like he has lost confidence in dodging off the wing and scoring. Kamish is another one. As a freshman he had 8 G in only 6 games. The following year he had 9 G in only 5 games. The next year was 19 G in 15 games. Again, he regressed last year to 9G in 13 games (he did miss a few with injuries to his knee). This year he’s been absolutely absent. His two shots on Saturday v Maryland were both left handed and from distance. McNaney made easy saves on both. He only had one shot in the first game also. Maybe he’s lost a step from his injury last year but boy has he been a disappointment. From a guy that had 36 goals in his first 26 games to a guy that has 2 G in his last eight games was something I never would have predicted.
Matt Heuston, on the other hand, has impressed. 3 G in two games, all on speed dodges and good shots. Binney, who looked good last week was invisible Saturday except for his two turnovers and one shot that landed outside the stadium.
The fifth veteran at midfield is Davis Lindsay who, in my opinion, is a much better attack man than he is coming out of the box. His late goal Saturday was reminiscent of the goals he scored the past few years as an attack.
Would love to see some of the younger middies get some time. Haberman had a great goal dodging from x. While Murphy hasn’t done much in his two games he has good speed. Matt Dixon, Brady West, Ryan McGory and Austin Cote all were very highly recruited. I’ve noticed, however, over the past few years that Van and Charlie seem smitten with their veterans even when they don’t produce. Remember Liam Bateman, Riley Seay and Dan Wigley and how they failed to produce their last two years but kept on being put out there? I get wanting veterans but these young guys need to be given a chance if the vets aren’t producing. Charlie has always liked veterans.

Let’s hope for a turn around this weekend v Hopkins. Can’t wait to be at Homewood Saturday. Let’s hope the offense turns it around. Nothing would make me happier than to see Kamish and Higgins go off and take some pressure off the attack. I’ve seen them do it before and there’s no reason why they can’t do it again. Go Hounds.
Move Poitras back to mid.

Signed,

the father of a fantasy team owner of Poitras and needs him at mdieril because he’s stacked at Attack…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:31 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:00 pm Terp fan here but the game really surprised me. Thought we'd see a 1-goal kind of game.

As an outsider, two things stood out to me (aside from your goalie keeping the game as close as it was). One, your rope unit didn't hold up too well. The Terps attacked the shorties and LSMs on inverts for the entire game.Outside of Sally, the physical differences between Greyhound shorties and whoever they guarded was noticeable.

Two, the offensive midfield needs to be more assertive. Since Loyola wanted to run so much of its offense through the attack unit (and it's easy to see why given how good those 3 attackmen are), it made the midfield look like bystanders. I've been a huge fan of Higgins since he arrived on campus there. I always feel like he can be a QB from the midfield kind of guy. When he dodges on inverts, he's so dangerous.

It felt like the game plan success from the Georgetown game affected the game plan against Maryland. The Terps just sat on Loyola's attack unit, and the whole offense bogged down. Expected the midfield to do more.

After Maryland scrimmaged Georgetown, it was apparent that Georgetown's close defense couldn't match feet; and James, Poitras, and Minicus annihilated those match-ups. But Maryland's close defense is the defense's strength. Seemed like a strange thing to attack.

But beat Hopkins!
Couldn’t agree more with your post. Middies have to do more. When Higgins and Kamish arrived on campus I was excited. Each year though they’ve seemed to regress. As a freshman Higging had 6 G and 14 points in limited duty. As a sophomore he showed his dodging ability and put up 15G. Last year he only had 12 G and only 5 in the last ten games of the season. I really thought he’d become a 20-25 goal per year guys with his physical skill sets. Watching the end of last season and the beginning of this it’s almost like he has lost confidence in dodging off the wing and scoring. Kamish is another one. As a freshman he had 8 G in only 6 games. The following year he had 9 G in only 5 games. The next year was 19 G in 15 games. Again, he regressed last year to 9G in 13 games (he did miss a few with injuries to his knee). This year he’s been absolutely absent. His two shots on Saturday v Maryland were both left handed and from distance. McNaney made easy saves on both. He only had one shot in the first game also. Maybe he’s lost a step from his injury last year but boy has he been a disappointment. From a guy that had 36 goals in his first 26 games to a guy that has 2 G in his last eight games was something I never would have predicted.
Matt Heuston, on the other hand, has impressed. 3 G in two games, all on speed dodges and good shots. Binney, who looked good last week was invisible Saturday except for his two turnovers and one shot that landed outside the stadium.
The fifth veteran at midfield is Davis Lindsay who, in my opinion, is a much better attack man than he is coming out of the box. His late goal Saturday was reminiscent of the goals he scored the past few years as an attack.
Would love to see some of the younger middies get some time. Haberman had a great goal dodging from x. While Murphy hasn’t done much in his two games he has good speed. Matt Dixon, Brady West, Ryan McGory and Austin Cote all were very highly recruited. I’ve noticed, however, over the past few years that Van and Charlie seem smitten with their veterans even when they don’t produce. Remember Liam Bateman, Riley Seay and Dan Wigley and how they failed to produce their last two years but kept on being put out there? I get wanting veterans but these young guys need to be given a chance if the vets aren’t producing. Charlie has always liked veterans.

Let’s hope for a turn around this weekend v Hopkins. Can’t wait to be at Homewood Saturday. Let’s hope the offense turns it around. Nothing would make me happier than to see Kamish and Higgins go off and take some pressure off the attack. I’ve seen them do it before and there’s no reason why they can’t do it again. Go Hounds.
Move Poitras back to mid.

Signed,

the father of a fantasy team owner of Poitras and needs him at mdieril because he’s stacked at Attack…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Too many TO’s in the first quarter. Leading 2-1

Gotta be cleaner to win. Looks like minicus isn’t in the lineup at all today
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

that Minicus goal with no angle was disgusting
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Thought the first half was sloppy but kept pace with Hopkins. No halftime adjustments, struggle with the ride. Hopkins just outplayed them the second half. Rutgers and Towson will be tough, and I would not count out Colgate. The played well today, 3-1 with some big wins
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Hound93 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:42 am Better that these losses happen early than late and much to take away from this game. It will only make them better and I would expect the game against Hop is very competitive.
I was surprised by the Hounds offensive output as MD kept the pressure on them and they just struggled to beat their matchups. It’s early but the Terps defense may have played their most productive game of the season.
I’m really surprised or should I say very happy with the Hounds defense this far. They felt the pressure from not winning a faceoff and took that challenge head on. Reynolds was a great pickup and can shut down a #1 offensive matchup and Sally logs productive miles. 2nd line SS’s are athletic and will improve every week.
Staudt played great, was probably +5 for the Hounds yesterday and can also thank the pipes for saving 3/4. They’ll need him to make the unmakable saves every game as long as the faceoff struggles continue.
Faceoffs, saw an interview with Coach T and he said he didn’t believe that faceoffs cost them the game, it was a lack of offensive production. Maybe he’s right but man I hope they can figure this thing out. Besides losing the draw the inability to pick up a GB or win a GB is concerning.
On to Hop, go Hounds!!!
Saw today a lot of similarities as last week but also some improvements.
Goalie Staudt had another great game, probably +5 again. The close defense has been great. Hop was really working the picks on Reynolds trying to get him off #23. They figured it out in the 4th. Seemed like the defense was tired in the 4th and you really can’t blame them.
Faceoffs were better but the Hounds got absolutely destroyed in the middle of the field with GBs. Rope unit struggled to pick up a GB to the point where Poitras was on a wing in the 4th. Can someone please teach Pacheco how to pick up a GB? He did great job with the initial clamp but really hurt his numbers by not being able to pick up a GB.
Offensively, 7 man-ups and only 1 goal. Hounds are in the game if they convert at 50%. I believe in the players but seems like they are pressing knowing they need to improve. Play fast and forget about making mistakes.
Hounds need a win next week at home against Rutgers.
laxgeek37

Post by laxgeek37 »

Hound93 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:05 pm
Hound93 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:42 am Better that these losses happen early than late and much to take away from this game. It will only make them better and I would expect the game against Hop is very competitive.
I was surprised by the Hounds offensive output as MD kept the pressure on them and they just struggled to beat their matchups. It’s early but the Terps defense may have played their most productive game of the season.
I’m really surprised or should I say very happy with the Hounds defense this far. They felt the pressure from not winning a faceoff and took that challenge head on. Reynolds was a great pickup and can shut down a #1 offensive matchup and Sally logs productive miles. 2nd line SS’s are athletic and will improve every week.
Staudt played great, was probably +5 for the Hounds yesterday and can also thank the pipes for saving 3/4. They’ll need him to make the unmakable saves every game as long as the faceoff struggles continue.
Faceoffs, saw an interview with Coach T and he said he didn’t believe that faceoffs cost them the game, it was a lack of offensive production. Maybe he’s right but man I hope they can figure this thing out. Besides losing the draw the inability to pick up a GB or win a GB is concerning.
On to Hop, go Hounds!!!
Saw today a lot of similarities as last week but also some improvements.
Goalie Staudt had another great game, probably +5 again. The close defense has been great. Hop was really working the picks on Reynolds trying to get him off #23. They figured it out in the 4th. Seemed like the defense was tired in the 4th and you really can’t blame them.
Faceoffs were better but the Hounds got absolutely destroyed in the middle of the field with GBs. Rope unit struggled to pick up a GB to the point where Poitras was on a wing in the 4th. Can someone please teach Pacheco how to pick up a GB? He did great job with the initial clamp but really hurt his numbers by not being able to pick up a GB.
Offensively, 7 man-ups and only 1 goal. Hounds are in the game if they convert at 50%. I believe in the players but seems like they are pressing knowing they need to improve. Play fast and forget about making mistakes.
Hounds need a win next week at home against Rutgers.
Agree with ya big time on staudt
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Well let’s hope the offense gets its act together for Rutgers and Towson next week. Still think the problem starts with the midfielders. Eleven turnovers. Two goals. Kamish finally scored but this team looks tight. Afraid to make a mistake. Staudt was great again. Defense was solid. Clearing game was brutal. Not sure what the answer is. From 18 goals v Georgetown to 11 in the last two games combined. One for seven on man up. Too many possessions without a good look. Other than the three attack it seems like the middies can’t beat a defender one on one. When they draw a slide nothing opens up. I’m sorry but there is way too much talent on this roster to be this bad offensively. I’m at a loss. Hopefully Van can rectify this quickly.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

According to this, the Hounds have played the toughest schedule thus far. “That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”. Building for conference play…

https://masseyratings.com/clax/ncaa-d1/ratings
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Hound93 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm According to this, the Hounds have played the toughest schedule thus far. “That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”. Building for conference play…

I would not disagree with toughest schedule. But that is not what is being discussed here It is the lack of kiddie play , the collapse of the offense, the lack of emo goals and poor fogo and wing play
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:20 pm
Hound93 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm According to this, the Hounds have played the toughest schedule thus far. “That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”. Building for conference play…

I would not disagree with toughest schedule. But that is not what is being discussed here It is the lack of kiddie play , the collapse of the offense, the lack of emo goals and poor fogo and wing play
So true. Haberman is a perfect example. 12 goals last year in limited time. 2 goals this year also in limited time. Yet he shares time with a bunch of guys that have done squat this year (and not much last year). Just don’t get why the staff can’t see what the eyes see. Same things have happened the last two years. Playing vets over young guys when the vets don’t produce (Bateman, Wigley, Seay for example). It’s early in the season and I get that they are trying to figure things out but that was my point about the Georgetown game. 18-10 with 6 minutes left and not one substitute got into the game. Why?
Ex-lax

Post by Ex-lax »

Agree completely Haberman is a great example. High field IQ...sees the field well...moves off ball better than most...unselfish...productive. Utilize players like him more will yield better results imo.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm Well let’s hope the offense gets its act together for Rutgers and Towson next week. Still think the problem starts with the midfielders. Eleven turnovers. Two goals. Kamish finally scored but this team looks tight. Afraid to make a mistake. Staudt was great again. Defense was solid. Clearing game was brutal. Not sure what the answer is. From 18 goals v Georgetown to 11 in the last two games combined. One for seven on man up. Too many possessions without a good look. Other than the three attack it seems like the middies can’t beat a defender one on one. When they draw a slide nothing opens up. I’m sorry but there is way too much talent on this roster to be this bad offensively. I’m at a loss. Hopefully Van can rectify this quickly.
I’m curious why you ignore the attack in your criticism of the offense? The last two weeks they have done very little. The attack should be the players driving offensive stats and should be 3-4 point a game guys. Middies should probably average a point or so…..unless you have a stud like Dordevic. Obviously Loyola doesn’t have a stud…and no….there’s not one sitting on the bench.

They just played 2 top 10 teams with good defenses. Let’s get a win this week and then I think we’re in good shape. 2 and 2 with this schedule if a decent start.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Houndfan73 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:56 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm Well let’s hope the offense gets its act together for Rutgers and Towson next week. Still think the problem starts with the midfielders. Eleven turnovers. Two goals. Kamish finally scored but this team looks tight. Afraid to make a mistake. Staudt was great again. Defense was solid. Clearing game was brutal. Not sure what the answer is. From 18 goals v Georgetown to 11 in the last two games combined. One for seven on man up. Too many possessions without a good look. Other than the three attack it seems like the middies can’t beat a defender one on one. When they draw a slide nothing opens up. I’m sorry but there is way too much talent on this roster to be this bad offensively. I’m at a loss. Hopefully Van can rectify this quickly.
I’m curious why you ignore the attack in your criticism of the offense? The last two weeks they have done very little. The attack should be the players driving offensive stats and should be 3-4 point a game guys. Middies should probably average a point or so…..unless you have a stud like Dordevic. Obviously Loyola doesn’t have a stud…and no….there’s not one sitting on the bench.

They just played 2 top 10 teams with good defenses. Let’s get a win this week and then I think we’re in good shape. 2 and 2 with this schedule if a decent start.
Agree, if the Hounds can jump on a 3 game winning streak heading into Duke I’d feel great with conference playing heating up. No pushovers, these next 3 teams need a W as much as the Hounds.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

As for the attack, except for the Maryland game Poitras, James and Minicus have played pretty well. 19 goals between the (13 v Georgetown and 5 v JHU). It seems as if the defenses are collapsing on the attack because the middies are unable to beat anyone 1 v 1. When your top three middies generate a total of five shots in a game that they played 80% of the offensive minutes it is a problem. When your second group of Binney, Murphy and Lindsey have FIVE shots in three games (while Haberman has 7 shots himself) there is a problem.

The other point is that this is not something new to this year. its been happening the past three years. you add in a pitiful man up tje past two games and you have two bad offensive performances. is it the talent or is it the coaching. i never played for Van and have only heard good things about him from guys i know but come on. Guys like Cote, Doxon, West, McGory, and others were highly rated recruits. did they get so bad that they don't even get into games? Makes no sense to me.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:23 pm

As for the attack, except for the Maryland game Poitras, James and Minicus have played pretty well. 19 goals between the (13 v Georgetown and 5 v JHU). It seems as if the defenses are collapsing on the attack because the middies are unable to beat anyone 1 v 1. When your top three middies generate a total of five shots in a game that they played 80% of the offensive minutes it is a problem. When your second group of Binney, Murphy and Lindsey have FIVE shots in three games (while Haberman has 7 shots himself) there is a problem.

The other point is that this is not something new to this year. its been happening the past three years. you add in a pitiful man up tje past two games and you have two bad offensive performances. is it the talent or is it the coaching. i never played for Van and have only heard good things about him from guys i know but come on. Guys like Cote, Doxon, West, McGory, and others were highly rated recruits. did they get so bad that they don't even get into games? Makes no sense to me.
Let’s be honest here The great offenses Loyola has had came under the recruitment of Ryan Moran, Olmstead Lindley etc Van arsdake inherited those players We are now seeing the van arsdale offensive players he has recruited And it has been the same story for the last three years
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes, we know you don't like Coach Van. But he's not the shot caller for recruiting.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am Yes, we know you don't like Coach Van. But he's not the shot caller for recruiting.
I don’t “not like” Van. My point is that Toomey recruited a bunch of high 4 stars kids who have all pretty much either failed to produce, regressed or haven’t gotten the opportunity to play. For teams like Duke, UVA, MD and others that’s life since they have so many 5 stars. For a team like Loyola that has been at or near 500 the past three years it’s a problem
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:37 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am Yes, we know you don't like Coach Van. But he's not the shot caller for recruiting.
I don’t “not like” Van. My point is that Toomey recruited a bunch of high 4 stars kids who have all pretty much either failed to produce, regressed or haven’t gotten the opportunity to play. For teams like Duke, UVA, MD and others that’s life since they have so many 5 stars. For a team like Loyola that has been at or near 500 the past three years it’s a problem
If you don’t think Van has a say in who gets recruited you are living under a rock He has more say then you think Former hound is correct Where is the development of those 4 stars That is squarely on Van he also has sole control of the offense and you see how that has gone the past couple of years

It is not that I don’t like van It is that Loyola is not the right fit for him
Laxfam4life86

Post by Laxfam4life86 »

Van has more say and control than he should. When Ryan recruited, he made it perfectly clear he was looking for tenacity, not stars. He was looking for kids that would “run through a wall” for the team and did not necessarily pay attention to rankings. He got that level of dedication from his recruits… Olmstead for one. What we are seeing now are all Van’s recruits who seem to lack the heart and tenacity that made this team successful for years. Some of these kids are complacent because they know changes will never be made. There are a few that can barely make it to practice, prolonge injuries and rehab etc. “It’s anyone’s game and “new year, clean slate” is all BS because the roster rarely changes and the same underperformers walk right back into their positions. My problem is that Toomey is talking to these middies telling them to be ready to go in and that they’ve shown and proven themselves only to never set foot on the field. There’s a big disconnect somewhere. Charlie needs to have Van on a tighter leash.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”