Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m a big fan of Poli.
He won a PA state title on that great Downingtown East team.
Al American at Bryant, great scoring D.
First ChesMont alum that I’m aware of to take over a Division I program, so obviously I wish them well.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:06 am
DougELax wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 am What about Dwan or Benson from Hopkins? Never see their names mentioned for openings.
The Inside Lacrosse article mentions Benson as a possibility for Harvard. He was also a candidate for the UMBC job when it opened up a few years ago.

I don't think Dwan has any intention of leading a program himself.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ates/54477
Benson would be a good choice for Harvard.
“I wish you would!”
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Quinnipiac sticking with Poli proves that the incident in the fall was not severe, which was pretty widely known, but that it was severe enough when there was basically a zero tolerance for any further incidents under Fekete's watch. Good luck to Poli and the Cats going forward. His post game interview after the Marist game sounded like a coach that knew he was coming back
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

No one mentioning Feifs as a candidate for new spots? I know it is only a few years, but he has certainly put UVM on the map pretty quickly....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Any chance Bates comes back at a place like Fairfield?

I’d kind of like to see what basti does the next two years. Not to offend any SHU games but have this sense that miyashita was bey instrumental part of this and last years class. Tuttle was surely a function of his Colorado connections.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

HooDat wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:17 pm No one mentioning Feifs as a candidate for new spots? I know it is only a few years, but he has certainly put UVM on the map pretty quickly....
I can't see Feifs leaving Vermont now with the success he has had thus far. He's done a very good job indeed but I think it will be a few more years before we see his name pop up. Could be sooner, but who knows?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

There has to be some pressure at Homewood for a change
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

steel_hop wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 pm There has to be some pressure at Homewood for a change
I don't see any evidence that anyone in charge cares about change. A year left on contract, I doubt that Daniel's would like to buy that out (hurts his endowment :lol: )
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I agree, no one at Hopkins cares. But beyond that, Petro is incredibly loyal and as much as that loyalty stretches down the ladder, I imagine it also stretches up. Loyalty is no small virtue, especially for the man as competitive as Pietramala. That's the irony with the guy, the yin and yang, and that's why the kids love him. It's pretty incredible really. It's about more than winning for him and as frustrating as that can be, I applaud him.

I'd also love to see Benson get a shot at head coaching.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DougELax wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 am
steel_hop wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 pm There has to be some pressure at Homewood for a change
I don't see any evidence that anyone in charge cares about change. A year left on contract, I doubt that Daniel's would like to buy that out (hurts his endowment :lol: )
I have said it before, but it bears repeating, if all you change is the coach and staff, you will be back where you are in relatively short order. What is going on with this program is not happening in a vacuum.
Last edited by jhu72 on Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am
I have said it before, but it bears repeating, if all you change is the coach and staff, you will be back where you are in relatively short order. Bring back Bill Brody! What is going on with this program is not happening in a vacuum.
I don’t understand this at all. It’s not as if Daniel’s administration hasn’t shown great support for the program. That endowment fundraising program had to have his sign off, and he has only helped to make Johns Hopkins a more attractive place to go to college. Plus the Lacrosse Center was built on his watch.

No one has ever been specific about what precisely Daniels is alleged to be doing wrong.

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:20 am
I have said it before, but it bears repeating, if all you change is the coach and staff, you will be back where you are in relatively short order. Bring back Bill Brody! What is going on with this program is not happening in a vacuum.
I don’t understand this at all. It’s not as if Daniel’s administration hasn’t shown great support for the program. That endowment fundraising program had to have his sign off, and he has only helped to make Johns Hopkins a more attractive place to go to college. Plus the Lacrosse Center was built on his watch.

No one has ever been specific about what precisely Daniels is alleged to be doing wrong.

The problem is bigger than Daniels. The problem is Hopkins has never really considered all the ramifications of being successful at the D1 level. It has always taken the easy decision. It has always been made easy for the institution, because of the program alumni support. There is no real commitment, because what has been asked has always been easy! That has changed! Daniels and the board does not give a rats ass about the program. Daniels and the board did not build the Cordish center. They approved it, when approval was easy to give! The campus was not made beautiful because of the lacrosse program, it was made beautiful by a gift of a donor who specifically does not support the athletic department.

Daniels and the board need to decide if they want to be a non-ivy, ivy, or they want to be a unique institution.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

the desire to be a "non-Ivy Ivy" is a fools game. I think that instinct has and does threaten a lot of very good colleges.

Be what you are. Harvard is Harvard - no one needs to be "the Harvard of the South" or any other non-sense.....

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:20 am

The problem is bigger than Daniels. The problem is Hopkins has never really considered all the ramifications of being successful at the D1 level. It has always taken the easy decision. It has always been made easy for the institution, because of the program alumni support. There is no real commitment, because what has been asked has always been easy! That has changed! Daniels and the board does not give a rats ass about the program. Daniels and the board did not build the Cordish center. They approved it, when approval was easy to give! The campus was not made beautiful because of the lacrosse program, it was made beautiful by a gift of a donor who specifically does not support the athletic department.

Daniels and the board need to decide if they want to be a non-ivy, ivy, or they want to be a unique institution.
That’s all very vague and non-specific.

What is it that you want Daniels and the board to do?

Build a better stadium? Homewood is already better than most lacrosse venues.

Program is fully funded with athletic scholarships.

No one attending Hopkins has to take out loans anymore.

Cordish is as good a lacrosse facility as any.

Petro, despite the criticism, is still a legendary coach and former player.

Campus is beautiful. Student population is diverse with more female students than ever. Undergraduate lifestyle and school amenities have never been better.

And few if any lacrosse programs will have more endowment funding once the current campaign is done.

What more can you ask for? It’s not as if Daniels can suit up and play. Plus, the President of The Johns Hopkins University has more important things to do than micromanage the lacrosse program.

@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 am the desire to be a "non-Ivy Ivy" is a fools game. I think that instinct has and does threaten a lot of very good colleges.

Be what you are. Harvard is Harvard - no one needs to be "the Harvard of the South" or any other non-sense.....
Hopkins is doing fine.

Actually, I have never seen Hopkins as an institution in better shape than it is in now. Was never a big fan of Steven Muller, but I think Hopkins has had an outstanding series of presidents since, plus some extremely generous donors (and one in particular).

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:01 am

What more can you ask for? It’s not as if Daniels can suit up and play. Plus, the President of The Johns Hopkins University has more important things to do than micromanage the lacrosse program.

I think this is probably a discussion better continued over on the Hopkins thread.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Homer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

I think this is probably a discussion better continued over on the Hopkins thread.
Agreed; and it'll be good for four or five pages in the 2019 page count.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 am
Homer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

Agreed; and it'll be good for four or five pages in the 2019 page count.
We’re trying to boost this thread’s page count. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:06 am
HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 am the desire to be a "non-Ivy Ivy" is a fools game. I think that instinct has and does threaten a lot of very good colleges.

Hopkins is doing fine.

Actually, I have never seen Hopkins as an institution in better shape than it is in now. Was never a big fan of Steven Muller, but I think Hopkins has had an outstanding series of presidents since, plus some extremely generous donors (and one in particular).

DocBarrister 8-)
Indeed - my post was in support of Hop just being Hop..... They are pretty good at it ;)

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

What exactly does this mean? Hopkins is already ranked higher than several Ivies. Hopkins has academic programs ranked with Harvard.

In reality, Hopkins' biggest problem for is it location: it's the least attractive urban city of all the top 20 Unis. Least attractive to students and to trailing spouses (for faculty recruitment). For example, Columbia and NYU gets thousands of apps just bcos of the bright lights of Manhattan. Even GW, with a large contingent of PT/adjunct faculty, gets mega apps from the Poli Sci wannabes bcos of its connection to DC. Boston, Philly, Chicago, LA, & SF are all much more attractive as placse to live. From a social standpoint, you have to want to be in Bawlamer, or at least put up with it for period of time.

(Sure, New Haven is not an exactly an oasis, but its tiny so much easier for Y to get changes thru the City.)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”