UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: UNC 2024

Post by jrn19 »

He’s not starting and his playing time has been cut way, way down with the additions of Duffy and Young Petro
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Unc is a dark horse team this year.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Just saw the UNC schedule, they sure have down graded it. Mercer, Fairfield, Hofstra, Wagner, Stonybrook, Highpoint, only three non conf top 20 teams Army Hop and Princeton. They are not alone but surprising.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Well yes downgraded some in nonconference. Yet they still play 6 games against teams ranked 1-9 and 7 against top 11. Prior to yesterday Penn was top 20 and High Point is receiving points for top 20( not sure if they were top 20 yet this year). 9 0f 14 games are against top 25 teams. By the end of the season they will have played a schedule that will clarify where they belong in national rankings……be patient.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:30 am Just saw the UNC schedule, they sure have down graded it. Mercer, Fairfield, Hofstra, Wagner, Stonybrook, Highpoint, only three non conf top 20 teams Army Hop and Princeton. They are not alone but surprising.
It's weaker than I'd have liked. Replacing Wagner with a real opponent would have made the schedule much better. I get it's a trip to LI but I think headlining the trip with a game against a Rutgers or Yale would have been doable.
Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:46 pm Tillman had real points last season. Thus far this season, he's had substantially less. Obviously it's early in the season but... Any conjecture as to what's going on?
Tillman is making the switch to midfield from attack so it's understandable he would have lower point production. And maybe it is taking a game or two to make the adjustment. I think the time to worry about him is if he doesn't show much sign of life against Hopkins.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:48 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:30 am Just saw the UNC schedule, they sure have down graded it. Mercer, Fairfield, Hofstra, Wagner, Stonybrook, Highpoint, only three non conf top 20 teams Army Hop and Princeton. They are not alone but surprising.
It's weaker than I'd have liked. Replacing Wagner with a real opponent would have made the schedule much better. I get it's a trip to LI but I think headlining the trip with a game against a Rutgers or Yale would have been doable.
Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:46 pm Tillman had real points last season. Thus far this season, he's had substantially less. Obviously it's early in the season but... Any conjecture as to what's going on?
Tillman is making the switch to midfield from attack so it's understandable he would have lower point production. And maybe it is taking a game or two to make the adjustment. I think the time to worry about him is if he doesn't show much sign of life against Hopkins.
Tillman played A/M since he got to Chapel Hill. I think he may be battling injury? Watched film from Mercer and Fairfield, he was mainly using his left hand (he's a righty) and running 2nd line. With some first line shifts when Petro would be at attack. Tillman missed a bunch of shots. Don't think I saw him use his right hand at all in the past 2 games. Except on a tough GB. Once he scooped, he switched to his left to pass it off.

Either I'm overanalyzing and he's just really confident in his offhand, or he's playing through some type of injury. Maybe hurt wrist, elbow, shoulder? Not sure- just hope he's 100% for JHU.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxfan23 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:12 am Well yes downgraded some in nonconference. Yet they still play 6 games against teams ranked 1-9 and 7 against top 11. Prior to yesterday Penn was top 20 and High Point is receiving points for top 20( not sure if they were top 20 yet this year). 9 0f 14 games are against top 25 teams. By the end of the season they will have played a schedule that will clarify where they belong in national rankings……be patient.

It’s a legit non conference schedule. JHU, Princeton, Penn, Army are all gonna be difficult opponents. I think Stony Brook and even Hofstra will give the Heels trouble.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Is there a ranking of schedule “toughness”. I know in college football preseason there is a ranking of strength of schedule. If there is a ranking of lacrosse strength of schedule where is it? And if the answer is common knowledge my apologies.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Laxfan23 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:35 pm Is there a ranking of schedule “toughness”. I know in college football preseason there is a ranking of strength of schedule. If there is a ranking of lacrosse strength of schedule where is it? And if the answer is common knowledge my apologies.
https://masseyratings.com/clax/ncaa-d1/ratings
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

How good is JHU? UNC beat them last year with a worse roster. Should still be a good test as it will be the first true competition the young attackers will face
Last edited by Kleizaster on Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegman

Post by thegman »

Hopkins is plenty good and yes the Heels got the better of them last yr in BLT with less talent than this yr. Hopkins has played 3 at home and 1 not far away (Gtown). Early sched competition heavily favors Hop but Heels should be fired up to get into the meat of their sched. Lots of talk about being the ACC cellar dwellers is motivating the Heels (we know 2 current players well and they're ready to rock & roll Sat.). Dom/Duffy will def see a higher level of defender than Mercer or Fairfield, but they're not practicing vs slouches. Eager to see this one.
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

Yes, I worry that the tougher JHU early season schedule will allow them to get out to an early lead. Hopefully UNC can withstand that initial shock of higher level speed/ball movement and get into the flow of better competition without finding themselves in too big of a hole..... But this team must be jacked to get into the meat of their schedule and have JHU at home, especially with the Petro storyline.

However, there is so much to like about the improvement in UNC's offense from week 1 to week 2. Fairfield arguably is better than Mercer and the offense played at a much better level, which is to be expected when two of the best players are playing in their first years. Dom and Duffy looked like the game is slowing down for them, and Matan and McGovern chipped in with some great goals/assists. The mids also looked solid, with Demarco back and Egan looking really strong. A key for mid will be getting Tillman going and continued contributions from Levy and Schwarz, both of whom are really playing well.

Wambach had a coming out party and will be a great complement to Tyeryar if he can continue to play so well at FO.

Defense continues to look very solid, with outstanding pole play (as expected) from Barton and Geppert and even the freshman Thoman is playing beyond his years. SSDMs look like a real strength of the team with lock down D by English and Hagerup, while nice to see Striano and Frankenheimer as threats to score.

If Krieg and the LSMs can continue to play well I believe this team is going to have a much better season.
thegman

Post by thegman »

Lax4love wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:44 am Yes, I worry that the tougher JHU early season schedule will allow them to get out to an early lead. Hopefully UNC can withstand that initial shock of higher level speed/ball movement and get into the flow of better competition without finding themselves in too big of a hole..... But this team must be jacked to get into the meat of their schedule and have JHU at home, especially with the Petro storyline.

However, there is so much to like about the improvement in UNC's offense from week 1 to week 2. Fairfield arguably is better than Mercer and the offense played at a much better level, which is to be expected when two of the best players are playing in their first years. Dom and Duffy looked like the game is slowing down for them, and Matan and McGovern chipped in with some great goals/assists. The mids also looked solid, with Demarco back and Egan looking really strong. A key for mid will be getting Tillman going and continued contributions from Levy and Schwarz, both of whom are really playing well.

Wambach had a coming out party and will be a great complement to Tyeryar if he can continue to play so well at FO.

Defense continues to look very solid, with outstanding pole play (as expected) from Barton and Geppert and even the freshman Thoman is playing beyond his years. SSDMs look like a real strength of the team with lock down D by English and Hagerup, while nice to see Striano and Frankenheimer as threats to score.

If Krieg and the LSMs can continue to play well I believe this team is going to have a much better season.
I might be most eager to see Thomann, the kid's (high school) Youtube highlights are impressive. He's got a super high motor and maybe a little better handles in the middle of the field/more agile than the bigger defenders
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:48 pm Replacing Wagner with a real opponent would have made the schedule much better. I get it's a trip to LI but I think headlining the trip with a game against a Rutgers or Yale would have been doable.
None of the LI guys are going to jump in here? Wagner is Staten Island.
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Very excited for JHU/UNC this weekend. Will really measure if UNC can give the ACC teams a scare. Think we are clearly 1-2 years away from getting back on top. Dom looked awesome Vs. Fairfield and I cannot see a way they keep him off the field most likely at Matan's expense. Wambach was excellent at the X and they rode his hot hand over that of Tyeryar. The team also looked very physical between the boxes which is important once you play teams that can match your athleticism. I do have some concerns about Krieg... Let in some really soft goals early Vs. Fairfield which did not matter due to the talent discrepancy, but will Vs. JHU and the better teams. All in all this past weekend in DC was good fun. Go Heels.
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

My sense is that Matan and McGovern will both provide minutes to Dom--great problem to have 4 very solid attackers.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

So where did Dom and Matan play? Didn’t see Fairfield game. Did Dom solely stick to middie or did they invert him a lot?
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Stopped paying too close attention once the game was out of hand but Matan started at Attack with Dom running out of the box. Dom had 1 or 2 quarters at attack with the rest at midfield. Do not think Matan had any run at midfield.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Fairfield highlights
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 pm How good is JHU? UNC beat them last year with a worse roster. Should still be a good test as it will be the first true competition the young attackers will face
Is an "attacker" really an attackman...?
Classic PC bull s..t.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”