Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by VeryRustyRed »

In regard to Kelleher...a few thoughts
-IMO some of the players (bigger guys in particular) may have had some traction issue on the turf. Kelleher and Blake in particular; they're bigger guys who typically need some room to accerlerate, rather than having the quick first step.
-He frequently draws a ss, which is surprising to some, but always forces an early double. He's also very well scouted and teams know he's a north - south guy. So separation isn't critical, because the key for Cornell is that he gets the defense moving, rotating. Optimally, he'll reverse the ball, but no so much yesterday. First game + lousy conditions.
In regard to Firth
-You have to realize that Cornell almost always has 6 guys on the field who can score, a few very dangerous. There's only one ball; I thought the boys shared it pretty well. Firth had 5 shots. The most any other player had was 6. Don't look for Firth to create like a Kirst, he's got a different game. Far less power, more finesse plus instinct. He did seem more active in the first half, but I think he simply had less touches in the second half. Cornell also possessed the ball less in the 2nd half. Think Lehigh's 2nd half run - I don't think Cornell had the ball in the attack zone for about 5 consecutive minutes.
Note - he's a natural attackman, but they're running him on as a middie, to get him on the field. It makes little difference in terms of how they scheme their offense.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upperdeck

Post by upperdeck »

The clears were a little slow to develop, but then first time going against other teams thats epected.

Some sloppy play on passing, some great rides

Goalie ended up with OK stats but I think there were 4-5 goals he would want to have back and thats the difference in a dominant game and an OK one. Save 2-3 of those and its a 10pt win even with about 10-15 of not really having the ball on offense.

Next game is much tougher so lets see where it goes

Denver is 3-0 but
Air force is 0-3 with Denver the only close game
Utah is 0-2
JHU has not been dominant

The issue on D is the concern about poor slides. That needs to get better
Redman2

Post by Redman2 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:09 pm In regard to Kelleher...a few thoughts
-IMO some of the players (bigger guys in particular) may have had some traction issue on the turf. Kelleher and Blake in particular; they're bigger guys who typically need some room to accerlerate, rather than having the quick first step.
-He frequently draws a ss, which is surprising to some, but always forces an early double. He's also very well scouted and teams know he's a north - south guy. So separation isn't critical, because the key for Cornell is that he gets the defense moving, rotating. Optimally, he'll reverse the ball, but no so much yesterday. First game + lousy conditions.
In regard to Firth
-You have to realize that Cornell almost always has 6 guys on the field who can score, a few very dangerous. There's only one ball; I thought the boys shared it pretty well. Firth had 5 shots. The most any other player had was 6. Don't look for Firth to create like a Kirst, he's got a different game. Far less power, more finesse plus instinct. He did seem more active in the first half, but I think he simply had less touches in the second half. Cornell also possessed the ball less in the 2nd half. Think Lehigh's 2nd half run - I don't think Cornell had the ball in the attack zone for about 5 consecutive minutes.
Note - he's a natural attackman, but they're running him on as a middie, to get him on the field. It makes little difference in terms of how they scheme their offense.
Thanks for detailed reply. Much appreciated!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Congratulations to Micheal Long as ivy league offensive player of the week.

Great to have a healthy Long back for this awesome Big Red offense.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:51 pm Congratulations to Micheal Long as ivy league offensive player of the week.

Great to have a healthy Long back for this awesome Big Red offense.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
from the long line of Delby studs
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Giant Lax factory that produces great players and even better respectful kids.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

An observation about face-offs during the game vs. Lehigh.
Unless I'm mistaken, the great majority (if not almost all) of the face-offs were controlled by a FOGO after the initial clamp. Very little wing play involved in ultimate possession, so much so, having watched the entire game via stream, I was unable to see who was in Cornell's F/O wing rotation.

Coincidence or a result of the seemingly annual tweaks of F/O rules?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:22 am An observation about face-offs during the game vs. Lehigh.
Unless I'm mistaken, the great majority (if not almost all) of the face-offs were controlled by a FOGO after the initial clamp. Very little wing play involved in ultimate possession, so much so, having watched the entire game via stream, I was unable to see who was in Cornell's F/O wing rotation.

Coincidence or a result of the seemingly annual tweaks of F/O rules?
Or, perhaps the lousy conditions?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

ILs Stamper on Teat,
Teat Doing Teat Things

Yes, Jeff Teat is a great scorer. He leads the NLL with 33 goals and 68 points and his early-career per-game scoring pace is ahead of those of John Tavares and John Grant Jr., as IL Indoor's Adam Levi noted and TSN shared during their broadcast of the game in Laval.

A few moments stood out for me in underscoring how good of a player he is beyond just the points. One was the play mentioned earlier, when he raced to get body position on a defender so that he had an easy go of picking up the ball as a rebound came towards him.

Another was about nine minutes into the first quarter. It was one of several times that Teat ran back in transition defence, and he made a key check—again coming off a rebound—to take away an open look from a Toronto forward. The fact that the league's leading scorer is not a liability when he goes back to play defence, and in fact is quite a capable defender because of his instincts and work ethic, goes a long way both in actual game play and in terms of leadership.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

It would have helped if the play-by-play guy would learn the roster and at least identify the units. He knew the A-listers but rarely or never named poles faceoff wings or rope guys as a unit or even after a great individual play Even a graphic with starting lineups would have helped.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:54 am ILs Stamper on Teat,
Teat Doing Teat Things

Yes, Jeff Teat is a great scorer. He leads the NLL with 33 goals and 68 points and his early-career per-game scoring pace is ahead of those of John Tavares and John Grant Jr., as IL Indoor's Adam Levi noted and TSN shared during their broadcast of the game in Laval.

A few moments stood out for me in underscoring how good of a player he is beyond just the points. One was the play mentioned earlier, when he raced to get body position on a defender so that he had an easy go of picking up the ball as a rebound came towards him.

Another was about nine minutes into the first quarter. It was one of several times that Teat ran back in transition defence, and he made a key check—again coming off a rebound—to take away an open look from a Toronto forward. The fact that the league's leading scorer is not a liability when he goes back to play defence, and in fact is quite a capable defender because of his instincts and work ethic, goes a long way both in actual game play and in terms of leadership.
Is JEFF TEAT now the BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET? It sure seems that way right now.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
harrisoncoburn

Post by harrisoncoburn »

Anybody know what the deal is with Piatelli?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ivyman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:56 am It would have helped if the play-by-play guy would learn the roster and at least identify the units. He knew the A-listers but rarely or never named poles faceoff wings or rope guys as a unit or even after a great individual play Even a graphic with starting lineups would have helped.
Yes, awful job at play-by-play. I hope word gets back to the guy, so he can work on improving.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:58 pm
Ivyman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:56 am It would have helped if the play-by-play guy would learn the roster and at least identify the units. He knew the A-listers but rarely or never named poles faceoff wings or rope guys as a unit or even after a great individual play Even a graphic with starting lineups would have helped.
Yes, awful job at play-by-play. I hope word gets back to the guy, so he can work on improving.
Should I apply for the Job?
Gobigred
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
If the press box is heated and they allow drinking on the job, then by all means YES. :D
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:41 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
If the press box is heated and they allow drinking on the job, then by all means YES. :D
Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

harrisoncoburn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:03 pm Anybody know what the deal is with Piatelli?

Latest was on he moved from practice player to active roster for Albany Firewolves of NLL but dont believe he has seen any time yet this season. Last year he contributed well and was a NLL All Rookie selection. He's been rostered in PLL for two years but dont believe he's ever been activated for a game.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I think the question was referring to Brian Piatelli, who is on the roster (#26) but did not see the field against Lehigh.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Redman2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:30 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:09 pm In regard to Kelleher...a few thoughts
In regard to Firth
Thanks for detailed reply. Much appreciated!
Firth also had a ss matchup in the first half, which he took advantage of, scoring 3 of his 4 goals. Lehigh covered him with a pole in the second half.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:34 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:54 am ILs Stamper on Teat,
Teat Doing Teat Things

Is JEFF TEAT now the BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET? It sure seems that way right now.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Looks like NLL is thinking along the same lines re: Teat,
Report: New York Riptide Moving to Ottawa Starting Next Season

The New York Riptide are moving to Ottawa, according to a Tuesday report from TSN 1200's John Rodenburg. The report comes on the heels of the Riptide's trip to Montréal in an entertaining NLL unBOXed series match premiere. They've had a turnaround season with the league's leading scorer Jeff Teat...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”