Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
drunkmonkey30

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Anyone else having awful jerky video? Audio is fine, but video doesn’t is jittery.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:59 pm Anyone else having awful jerky video? Audio is fine, but video doesn’t is jittery.
The feed is pretty bad. Anybody know why Leonard is not calling the game?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, jerky video. Sad.

And what is wrong with this picture?
woman.jpg
woman.jpg (225.25 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:05 pm Yes, jerky video. Sad.

And what is wrong with this picture?

woman.jpg
Still better than person-up.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Is Cornell sometimes running 4 attackmen?

Announcers are useless ...
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:03 pm
drunkmonkey30 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:59 pm Anyone else having awful jerky video? Audio is fine, but video doesn’t is jittery.
Don't know the reason, but Barry has not called a basketball game all year.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

mountainred wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:35 pm
Heard from a very reliable source that Barry has some health issues he is dealing with.
Let's all wish Barry a speedy recovery.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

CU77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:31 pm Is Cornell sometimes running 4 attackmen?

Announcers are useless ...
Firth is playing middle
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:42 pm
Heard from a very reliable source that Barry has some health issues he is dealing with.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I was afraid that was the reason. Wishing Barry nothing but the best.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

mountainred wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:48 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:42 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I was afraid that was the reason. Wishing Barry nothing but the best.
I think you know who my source is, and you know he's very reliable.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Cornell wins it, 17-13.

I look forward to the analyses of the real experts here.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Nice win in difficult conditions. I'll await the box scores, but it seemed like both goalies had difficulty seeing the ball.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:42 pm Heard from a very reliable source that Barry has some health issues he is dealing with.
Posted on elynah:
mike1960 wrote:Indeed. All the best to him. And maybe a little French pastry.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I'll always take the W. Especially in an initial season game in lousy conditions.
Regardless, two main take-aways for me.
1) Defensively
-Cornell's ability to play, not only with top 5 teams, but top 20 teams will be a function of its defense. Something that Tom LaFalce said at the very end is really telling: last year, Lehigh's Cole(sp-?) was scoreless against Adler. I think he had 6 today. Welcome to "Life After Adler." What he did last year was astounding; basically shut down every opponent's best player. The team ceiling on defense this year can't be as high as a result.
-Cornell REALLY has to clean up it's game when poles and shorties are dealing with picks. This is what did them in last season. When a pick is set on our poles, our shorties continue to show or switch (which MAY be fine). But they're doing it when it's no necessary --- even if the attacker is not threatening to beat the pole. So that leaves a ss on the attacking player. 4 of Lehigh's 5 first goals were off of this situation. I have no idea whether this is a philosophy issue or an execution issue. Regardless, it really needs to be cleaned up. I'm sure Denver's OC will be drooling when he looks at tape of this.
2) Offensively
-For the first time in a few years, there is definitely a productivity/talent gap between the first two middie lines (which pretty much have split time equally under Coach B). 1st line - has 3 dodgers, 27 and 31 north-south and 51 Teat-like wing dodges and rollbacks. 2nd line - Sheehan showed some speed, but Blake, to me at least, doesn't have his former explosiveness. And while I like Dalton, he's a one-handed sniper.
-Middies had no 1st half goals; everything from the attack (eventually they had 3).
Other observations
-Wirtheim only had one goal, but was excellent. Can't leave a ss on him. Firth is really intriguing; I can see the Teat references, though he didn't have a lot of touches today. He started drawing a pole, I think in the 2nd half.
-At attack, Kirst played under control, willing to dish when doubled. Long looked very quick today (I held my breadth when he took a late hit in the 2nd half - he looked pissed off). I'm a fan of Caddigan - as a freshman he played well as the right-hander playing at GLE on extra-man situation. Not dressed all last year - though for many games I saw him wearing lax shorts and a shooting shirt, warming up Ierlan before games at the half. A sniper.
-Love the EMO personnel - 1, 15, 40 and 51 at GLE, and 27 and 23 at wings.
-Cornell rotated 5 shorties all game. Nice to have a freshman (Gilmartin) in the mix if someone goes down.
-46 backed up by 50 at LSM. I thought Rayhill did fine.
-Great run by Cascadden in the first half; I was surprised by the extent of the not-so-good run in the 2nd. After a break with Psyllos, he seemed to recover and dominate in the 4th qtr.
-Knust - started off very solid. I need to see more of him. Regardless, far too many hands free shots Lehigh.
*Though still very early in the season, next week will be telling - fly cross country, away game at high altitude, against a very offensive minded team.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:05 pm -Middies had no 1st half goals; everything from the attack (eventually they had 3).
Are you not counting 51 as a middie? He had 3 first-half goals and 1 second-half. Other 1st & 2nd line middies had 3 total, FOGO had 1.

Knuth overall was 14 of 27, 52%.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

What today made clear is that it is impossible to replace Adler. It's important not to overreact to the first game, especially when the opponent is playing its third game, but the defense struggled this afternoon. Cornell is going to have to pick up its team defense because there is no shut down pole any longer. It is encouraging to see such a deep SSDM group.

I thought the offense looked very good and with Firth at middle and Long apparently healthy, the top 6 players are going to be a handful for teams to defend.

Cornell outplayed Lehigh except for a brutal 15 minutes from the last few minutes of the second quarter to about 3-4 minutes to go in the third quarter when the wheels fell off. In that span they gave up some easy goals (the Cole goal with 1 second on the shot clock was inexcusable), lost too many face offs, and turned the ball over. I think that even though this team has incredible offensive talent, when things go bad like that it pays to have a deliberate clear and run some time off the clock when they get possession to give the D a blow and minimize turnovers.

Kirst was Kirst. He is just a tremendous all around player. He does so much more than score, from ground balls to forcing numerous turnovers on the ride. Long also played a great game. Cadigan had some timely goals.
'
Firth is a rare talent and adds so much to the offense. I don't see the comparison to Teat though. Teat had the best field vision I've ever seen in a Cornell lax player - or any player. Firth looks to be more of a finisher than a feeder. I thought the second middies were fine as well.

Knust had a great first half, but was not as strong in the second half. Still, it had to be tough playing goal today in the snow trying to see and stop a white ball in those squalls. He does need to clean up the clear a bit. I thought the two long clearing passes that were turnovers were unnecessary. Again, it's the first game.

Cascadden had a great first half as well. I don't understand why officials are so quick to call face off violations, especially in the first half of games. The violations put Cascadden on his heels a bit in the third quarter and the lost face offs fueled Lehigh's comeback. He rallied in the 4th quarter though.

It's always a relief to get that first game behind you with the delayed Ivy schedule. On to a very tough game next game vs Denver.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Great insights, especially considering how bad the real time game coverage was.

Firth is a tremendous feeder, that was his role at Hill Academy and with Toronto in the Ontario box league.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:15 pm Great insights, especially considering how bad the real time game coverage was.

Firth is a tremendous feeder, that was his role at Hill Academy and with Toronto in the Ontario box league.
Thanks for that information. Today was the first time I’ve seen play. Kirst and Long can pass as well. The offense is going to be hard to stop. The defense will determine how far this team goes.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

1-0 and now on to Denver in what should be a great top 10 Lacrosse game.

First, the best player on the Field was Kirst. Forget his "usual" 4 points, with 3 goals, his RIDE, the caused turnovers and the groundballs were amazing. What an opening game for him.

Long is obviously healthy again, and he just makes this offense go, which is scary as they have scorers all over the field.

Firth is a legitimate star. It's his first college game and he looked like a seasoned vet. He is a pure sniper and to think we get to watch him now for 4 years.

Cascadden was great on the X, except for some questionable violation calls.

Look, their is just no replacing Adler. He was the best shut down close Dman, we have seen in a long time, and he did so many things that took pressure off of the rest of the guys, so getting used to being without him will be a work in progress.

Lehigh was playing their 3rd game and they are a very good team. Hats off to them for giving us all we could handle, and really helping us get ready for a great Denver team next week.

Today only cemented my belief that this team can be special, and with the firepower they have on offense, they will always be a force in every game.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Redman2

Post by Redman2 »

Unsophisticated viewer here - perhaps this crowd can weigh in?

Firth appeared underutilized after a nice start. Seemed on an island in the midfield. Can he play opposite Kirst or does being a lefty make that impossible? We need him in the mix on every possession. Combination of Kirst, Long and Firth can be awesome.

Also, Kelleher doesn't seem able to create separation or get looks from the ball coming back out from Long or Kirst. Was hoping to see Lehigh’s defense spread out more because they were worried about Kelleher from 15 yards.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”