D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:03 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:22 am
Madlax59 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:37 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:17 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 pm Bumping this thread. Somebody said Christian Mule was their second best scoring option before. Yaa, Idk about that one.

Couldn’t win the big one vs UMD.

Lot of hype on the train early on
Troll. Real brave stuff.
He’s not wrong lots of hype early on and announcing Joey. Tewey top 5 early on. Gotta win the big games , gotta be clutch when it counts . Easy to win against weak teams and put up 8
Spallina is real. Put six of 7 shots on goal against a good defender and easily could have had three goals if not for McNaney who is helluva goalie. #22 isn't the quickest or strongest but have been impressed by use of skillset within team, rarely forces , thought he stuck with a few back ins too long last night when help came, UM coordination and timing on slides are clearly a team strength.

Losing 4q lead was disappointing but saw Orange bright future after a very poor start . Stretch of 9-4 run was led by youngsters not transfers ( Kohn held own with fine successor in Mullen) or vets in last year .Soph Rhoa had coming out party, youngster overshadowed but immense talent. Leo showed off his speed.

. Tillman's provides a edge with game coaching that contrasts with our front man. Given UM propensity to pack, the rockets of Birtwhistle and Kellogg from outside would have been of more benefit than #23 in this game. Stevens skillset is not fully utilized and backup lam should not be taking mins from primary. Man down unit? using backups makes sense from certain angles, see how that develops .Mark stats weren't great but he made some point blank saves in 2nd half . Dwan will be a AA, Rice is a very good dm and Levine showed some promise there. Please to see Caccamo in as third.

One final thought, calling of game has gotten way too soft, question some of the penalties last night including the two minute non releasable on M defender that was not taken advantage of by Cuse. The call off of o/t goal by Leo was correct . Hope for a rematch in tourney

^^^great post. Agree with everything.
I don’t have an issue with safety calls. Players will adjust.

I like the replay capabilities; they enable us all to see the play and know that the refs can too when it matters most. I disagreed with Carc saying they should have done this only in playoffs… coaches and refs need to learn how it works and better in-season for that learning.

Frankly, I don’t like Carc opining in game, period, but I did think he had some good strategy commentary along the way… just don’t like the pontificating and exaggerated fawning over players and keep the other stuff for podcasts. Good statement re charity and mental health.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:17 pm I’d be interested to hear Cuse fans’ reactions to Carc’s suggestion that SU could have inserted either Stevens or English or both at ssdm out of that late TO. Peyton occasion would run Harry as a dm in late period situations.
Agree with Carc but regardless , how does Cuse have such a defensive lapse after having a long break to prepare for setting up ?

were coaches heads too immersed in awaiting for official ruling on Leo crease goal and not using time to prepare for next play

maybe someone can explain , gonna rewatch ending to better understand how/why that breakdown occurred

should not have happened , lousy way to lose a game
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

my agreement with carc refers to question by molo on personnel decisions on final play

as far as carc, he is wonderful guy, knowledgeable and great spokesman for game, his comments on mental health issues were personal and touching.

Beyond that , personally find less better in lax announcing , actually enjoy listening to carc and quint more when they are announcing other sports

won't lament on crease call, its the current rule for all teams with worthy object to protect goalies , see plenty of beautiful plays on crease dodge scores that dont enter that small circle.
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:10 pm my agreement with carc refers to question by molo on personnel decisions on final play

as far as carc, he is wonderful guy, knowledgeable and great spokesman for game, his comments on mental health issues were personal and touching.

Beyond that , personally find less better in lax announcing , actually enjoy listening to carc and quint more when they are announcing other sports

won't lament on crease call, its the current rule for all teams with worthy object to protect goalies , see plenty of beautiful plays on crease dodge scores that dont enter that small circle.

Agreed about Carc. Good dude. I don’t think he’s a homer for Cuse. If he’s a homer for anyone, it’s for Yorktown HS 😂. He did like Makar of Maryland.

Us lax fans are spoiled in a way because the announcers for the sport really love the game. I appreciate them all.
a fan

Post by a fan »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:22 am One final thought, calling of game has gotten way too soft, question some of the penalties last night including the two minute non releasable on M defender that was not taken advantage of by Cuse. The call off of o/t goal by Leo was correct . Hope for a rematch in tourney
Refs are following protocol....

From NCAA, 2022: Contact to the head or neck
Committee members proposed a more-defined penalty structure for players who contact opponents in the head or neck area.

Players who make indirect contact to an opponent's head or neck would receive a one-minute penalty.
Players who make direct contact to an opponent's head or neck would receive a two-minute penalty.
Players who make excessive contact to an opponent's head or neck would receive a three-minute penalty.
Currently, when players are contacted in the head or neck, it is left up to the referee's discretion whether to award a one-, two- or three-minute penalty.

"With respect to contact to the head and neck, the committee was looking to standardize the penalties to create greater consistency in how these fouls are adjudicated," Hind said.

If you hear the call, the ref cites "direct contact to the head". If you look above---that's 2 min. And if you watched, the ref was six feet away from the play.

Protecting the head and neck is going to be prioritized these days. If I'm on that field, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Also agree on the no goal call in OT....he wasn't pushed, and landed in the mouth. But the refs could really help their cause if they called out "he landed in the goal mouth, and wasn't pushed" so the fans know what's up. Otherwise, what's the point in having the refs wear mics wired to the PA?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:17 pm I’d be interested to hear Cuse fans’ reactions to Carc’s suggestion that SU could have inserted either Stevens or English or both at ssdm out of that late TO. Peyton occasion would run Harry as a dm in late period situations.
Agree with Carc but regardless , how does Cuse have such a defensive lapse after having a long break to prepare for setting up ?

were coaches heads too immersed in awaiting for official ruling on Leo crease goal and not using time to prepare for next play

maybe someone can explain , gonna rewatch ending to better understand how/why that breakdown occurred

I'd be a bit more upset at the shooting by cuse in OT. #15 had the perfect opportunity (snip 1 below)....dodges from the high wing, gets to the middle of the field, and is starring at the front of the 6x6 at 9 yards out...then proceeds to shoot an underhand/sidearm shot across his body. If that were remotely close to overhand or 3/4 it goes in; as a coach, that has to be in in the goal...or at least on cage.

As far as the ride......not sure you can blame that on all on coach. In snip 2 and 3, you can see you UMD goalie outsmarted Cuse. Forces drawing the double by riding cuse players; I believe cuse attackman should have left the goalie alone and stayed on their poles. UMD then uses the push/pull on opposite sides of midfield (snip 2 and 3). But as soon as it was clear the the ball was laddering-up over the midfield line opposite bench side, #12 should have sprinted into the hole, which would have covered Terps #56. BTW, who was a great LSM in Northern Va Public School.

What I am saying, is it is rarely ever a singular issue...it is a chain of events. Terps did not do anything special on their clear, other than their players using more Lax IQ on the final sequence.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Thank you for frames n explanation

Not sure from stills however if dm caught upfield or just late getting on

Agree on mediocre shot taken after creating a good opening.

Gonna rewatch game because it was a good one despite not getting my preferred outcome

As Wide World of Sports use to say " the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat! "
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Cuse played a great game, the team seems much improved. The FOGO was outstanding, he will keep you in big games if he continues to play like last night.

Spallina won’t see another pole as good as Zap all season, better things ahead for him.

What’s everyone’s opinion on this man down strategy? I can honestly say that is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen put in practice. Shocked if they keep that up.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:39 pm Not sure from stills however if dm caught upfield or just late getting on
SSDM was very late getting back in the hole. As I noted in my write-up, he should have been already working to the middle of the field as UMD was working the ball over midline farside. At a minimum, you want to be in front of the ball or at least even with it......in this instance, way behind.

What could have happened is the farside (from ball) Cuse pole could have recognized Black56 in the middle all alone and bumped up to cover 56, or at least split 56 and his attackaman.

In any event.....these things happen all the time and that is why they have film and practices.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:16 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:10 pm my agreement with carc refers to question by molo on personnel decisions on final play

Agreed about Carc. Good dude. I don’t think he’s a homer for Cuse. If he’s a homer for anyone, it’s for Yorktown HS 😂. He did like Makar of Maryland.

Us lax fans are spoiled in a way because the announcers for the sport really love the game. I appreciate them all.
It’s amazing the under/over on Yorktown mentions is 3 any time Carc announces. I believe he hit the over last night
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

yes, 'less is better' when the 'more' is not actually illuminating the play on the field. I don't think we need all sorts of over the top hyperbole such as how much a warrior a kid is because he fought and won a GB as the FOGO...it's the job, it's why he's on the field. Applaud a specific effort, sure. Or series of efforts..Tell us about a different approach the FOGO's may be employing, the strategy with wing play but stop with the gushing...explain the rules, any changes that have been made that are impacting play, but stop opining about it during game time. Save that for podcasts, just call the game.

I think both Quint and Carc are each generally better when not on the same broadcast, but even alone they make way too many comments about themselves, when they played, who they played with etc. For instance, I don't hear Romo talking about himself, I hear him analyzing the football game in front of him exceptionally well. Do that for us...analyze the defenses, the offensive patterns, the tactical responses...cool it on the 'personal'...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:40 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:03 am
Will Mark
Born and raised in N California
Bet on himself
Went to a couple high schools where he wasn’t even a starting goalie
Went to LIU and then transferred here
One of the best in the business

— Carc
Carc reads Fanlax !!
I think most lacrosse announcers do.

And his observation about Will Mark is such a great life lesson: bet on yourself.
Here's the team Carc was referring to,

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/danville/mo ... 16/roster/

That was one of the top N Cal teams of the past decade plus, 3 Division I starters.
The kid Mark backed up was possibly the top goaltender in the state, who played like a sure-fire DI goalie,
and that goaltender was actually recruited by Toomey to Loyola.

For what all the above is worth.
molo

Post by molo »

Not Peyton, Petro
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:16 pm

I don’t think he’s a homer for Cuse. If he’s a homer for anyone, it’s for Yorktown HS 😂.

The Big 10 and Ivies disagree.
molo

Post by molo »

Ban the dive and you eliminate these problems. Sound weird coming from a fan of a team that benefited from a few dives over the years? Maybe so, but showing my age a bit, I’ve always loathed the dive. My radical or reactionary recommendation to the rules committee would be to make it illegal for any offensive player to enter the crease ever—live ball, dead ball, before shooting after scoring, full stop.
I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but as a pine riding attackman and middie, a developed a phobia about stepping in the crease. Hell. a guy who was few years ahead of me at UVA and an AA defenseman was a big shot big shot in my fraternity and went on to bars in DC and Towson. Although many friends frequented the Towson bar, which was conveniently located for me, I never set foot inside. Why not? Because when you play attack. you stay out of the crease!
If Coach Gait could laugh about the call, I’ll have a little fun with it myself. Two good teams treated us to a great game. Sorry anyone had to lose.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:22 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm

I'd be a bit more upset at the shooting by cuse in OT. #15 had the perfect opportunity (snip 1 below)....dodges from the high wing, gets to the middle of the field, and is starring at the front of the 6x6 at 9 yards out...then proceeds to shoot an underhand/sidearm shot across his body. If that were remotely close to overhand or 3/4 it goes in; as a coach, that has to be in in the goal...or at least on cage.

As far as the ride......not sure you can blame that on all on coach. In snip 2 and 3, you can see you UMD goalie outsmarted Cuse. Forces drawing the double by riding cuse players; I believe cuse attackman should have left the goalie alone and stayed on their poles. UMD then uses the push/pull on opposite sides of midfield (snip 2 and 3). But as soon as it was clear the the ball was laddering-up over the midfield line opposite bench side, #12 should have sprinted into the hole, which would have covered Terps #56. BTW, who was a great LSM in Northern Va Public School.

What I am saying, is it is rarely ever a singular issue...it is a chain of events. Terps did not do anything special on their clear, other than their players using more Lax IQ on the final sequence.

Your point about English is spot on. We discussed it at length over on the syracuse board but that's a look he absolutely needs to finish. The first midfield at SU besides Leo has struggled this year, Thomson especially has struggled immensely.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:26 pm Ban the dive and you eliminate these problems. Sound weird coming from a fan of a team that benefited from a few dives over the years? Maybe so, but showing my age a bit, I’ve always loathed the dive. My radical or reactionary recommendation to the rules committee would be to make it illegal for any offensive player to enter the crease ever—live ball, dead ball, before shooting after scoring, full stop.
I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but as a pine riding attackman and middie, a developed a phobia about stepping in the crease. Hell. a guy who was few years ahead of me at UVA and an AA defenseman was a big shot big shot in my fraternity and went on to bars in DC and Towson. Although many friends frequented the Towson bar, which was conveniently located for me, I never set foot inside. Why not? Because when you play attack. you stay out of the crease!
If Coach Gait could laugh about the call, I’ll have a little fun with it myself. Two good teams treated us to a great game. Sorry anyone had to lose.
Not weird at all. Game was fine before the rule change in 2019 reinstating the crease dive . Prior to that, beauty in players converting while navigating around the circle. When crease dive reintroduced , there was a lot of inconsistency in officiating . The addition of inner diameter is necessary to protect goalies if the dive remains. Players adapt to rules as do officials
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:26 pm Ban the dive and you eliminate these problems. Sound weird coming from a fan of a team that benefited from a few dives over the years? Maybe so, but showing my age a bit, I’ve always loathed the dive. My radical or reactionary recommendation to the rules committee would be to make it illegal for any offensive player to enter the crease ever—live ball, dead ball, before shooting after scoring, full stop.
Not weird at all. Game was fine before the rule change in 2019 reinstating the crease dive . Prior to that, beauty in players converting while navigating around the circle. When crease dive reintroduced , there was a lot of inconsistency in officiating . The addition of inner diameter is necessary to protect goalies if the dive remains. Players adapt to rules as do officials
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I’m good with the current rule, but the key is whether pushed or not…if in the crease because pushed, not attack man fault…and I speak from goalie perspective

Replay helps confirm the contact as that can be tough to tell…
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:30 pm

yes, 'less is better' when the 'more' is not actually illuminating the play on the field. I don't think we need all sorts of over the top hyperbole such as how much a warrior a kid is because he fought and won a GB as the FOGO...it's the job, it's why he's on the field. Applaud a specific effort, sure. Or series of efforts..Tell us about a different approach the FOGO's may be employing, the strategy with wing play but stop with the gushing...explain the rules, any changes that have been made that are impacting play, but stop opining about it during game time. Save that for podcasts, just call the game.

I think both Quint and Carc are each generally better when not on the same broadcast, but even alone they make way too many comments about themselves, when they played, who they played with etc. For instance, I don't hear Romo talking about himself, I hear him analyzing the football game in front of him exceptionally well. Do that for us...analyze the defenses, the offensive patterns, the tactical responses...cool it on the 'personal'...

Not trying to rain on your parade, at all, but like many folks, it probably helps to know Carc and what forms his soul. I won’t belabor the issue because it’s super personal to him, but part of what makes Paul is the memory of Robert Kavovit. It’s beyond searingly painful. But I assure you Carc wears this memory on his sleeve. Carc is a good man. A great man in fact. Obviously it doesn’t mean you can’t criticize him (he’d be the first to tell you that), but fir my money, Paul Carcaterra is an incredible gift to this community of lacrosse fans/players/media.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”