Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by CU77 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:32 pm Attendance was 7,314 back in 2022 which is pretty impressive. Start time was noon, not sure if the 6pm start time this year helps or hurts.
Neither, apparently: 7,353 today

https://dxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront.net/si ... MLAX04.pdf
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:16 pm I didn't see the game, but I expect UMD to make the semis this year, so an OT loss doesn't feel too bad.
You would have thought this was the 98 bulls the last two weeks reading this.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 pm Bumping this thread. Somebody said Christian Mule was their second best scoring option before. Yaa, Idk about that one.

Couldn’t win the big one vs UMD.

Lot of hype on the train early on
Troll. Real brave stuff.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Some people have a hard time just saying that this was a great game between two really talented teams. So much fun to watch.

There have been some really boring games and mismatches this early season. This game and the Villanova v Yale game gave me hope that this year will be awesome. More of this please.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:17 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 pm Bumping this thread. Somebody said Christian Mule was their second best scoring option before. Yaa, Idk about that one.

Troll. Real brave stuff.
He’s not wrong lots of hype early on and announcing Joey. Tewey top 5 early on. Gotta win the big games , gotta be clutch when it counts . Easy to win against weak teams and put up 8
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

This was one of those games where both teams fought to the bitter end and you hate to see loser.
These two teams are both super teams that will probably be playing late into May.
Losing in OT to Maryland is like Tiger making a 40 footer on 18, to beat you.

Syracuse is back and I can't wait to see them April 2nd at the Kopf.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:37 am

Troll. Real brave stuff.
He’s not wrong lots of hype early on and announcing Joey. Tewey top 5 early on. Gotta win the big games , gotta be clutch when it counts . Easy to win against weak teams and put up 8
Syracuse looks like it's lacking a true ACC initiating attackman. Very pretty ball movement, but I'm not seeing anyone that can really beat their man. Joey needs a pick, we saw what Zap did to him in the first half. He didn't really try anything again after that. Kid has awesome vision, skill and an offense designed to cater to him. Lots of picks below GLE, back pipe goals and hands free assists.

I just don't see his "Top 5" Tewey dodging prowess. When compared to the likes of Pat Kav, O'Neil, or Shelly. "He's not that type of player," yes I know- but that's who he's going up against. A lot of hype around him and Cuse- but still are unproven against the Top Dogs. Cuse will need to beat UNC to get 4th in the ACC. If they can steal one or two more than that, they'll be in a good spot.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Troll. Real brave stuff.
Not at all. I legit asked that question a few weeks back and some poster responds with a one word response “Mule” like he’s The artist Seal or something. Never heard of this transfer until this year so was kind of chuckling to see that play out last night. I don’t see the hype with him and Hiltz is not a dodger either. Leo would make for a fantastic attackmen as well imo. They will need the attack to score to make it far into may.

As I said, this is a nice team but pump the brakes. They didn’t win the big one. Beating Utah, UVM etc is not it. They need to make that step, that’s all I said.

Spallina did not get the better of Zap at all this game. The cuse O is a lot of pretty ball movement and will score their points but as I said, there are only a few superpowers this year ie Duke, UVA, and ND and everyone else. No disrespect to cuse but they always do this with their teams. Front load the home schedule for an extended amount of time with cupcakes (not umd) and never play on the road.

They will need to go 2-0 vs Hop and Army.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Will Mark
Born and raised in N California
Bet on himself
Went to a couple high schools where he wasn’t even a starting goalie
Went to LIU and then transferred here
One of the best in the business

— Carc
Carc reads Fanlax !!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Fantastic game. I'm really impressed at 'Cuse's progression since last year. They were a couple of inches/degrees on an angle of dive away from an overtime win against one of the top defensive teams (in terms of team D and stars at pole and in goal) in the country. I'd feel pretty optimistic as an Orange fan.
Finster

Post by Finster »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:15 am Fantastic game. I'm really impressed at 'Cuse's progression since last year. They were a couple of inches/degrees on an angle of dive away from an overtime win against one of the top defensive teams (in terms of team D and stars at pole and in goal) in the country. I'd feel pretty optimistic as an Orange fan.

+1

Mark, Kohn, Leo, Spallina, English, Figueiras (sp?), Rhoa, Hiltz, Thomson, Mule. This team will not go down easy to any opponent, that we can be sure of. Talent all the over the board.

I have an interesting take and probably some won’t agree: I think Maryland played as well as they could, whereas I didn’t think the same of Cuse. Yet we only lost in OT. Be careful of the Orange.

(The team that concerns me the most is UVA because of the size of their middies.)
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:03 am
Will Mark
Bet on himself

— Carc
Carc reads Fanlax !!

I think most lacrosse announcers do.

And his observation about Will Mark is such a great life lesson: bet on yourself.
Finster

Post by Finster »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:33 am

Troll. Real brave stuff.
Syracuse looks like it's lacking a true ACC initiating attackman. Very pretty ball movement, but I'm not seeing anyone that can really beat their man. Joey needs a pick, we saw what Zap did to him in the first half. He didn't really try anything again after that. Kid has awesome vision, skill and an offense designed to cater to him. Lots of picks below GLE, back pipe goals and hands free assists.

I just don't see his "Top 5" Tewey dodging prowess. When compared to the likes of Pat Kav, O'Neil, or Shelly. "He's not that type of player," yes I know- but that's who he's going up against. A lot of hype around him and Cuse- but still are unproven against the Top Dogs. Cuse will need to beat UNC to get 4th in the ACC. If they can steal one or two more than that, they'll be in a good spot.

I think Syracuse will ‘steal one or two’. This team is REALLY good. Kohn helps so much. Mark will be consistent regardless of opponent. The defense is solid.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:35 am

Troll. Real brave stuff.
Not at all. I legit asked that question a few weeks back and some poster responds with a one word response “Mule” like he’s The artist Seal or something. Never heard of this transfer until this year so was kind of chuckling to see that play out last night. I don’t see the hype with him and Hiltz is not a dodger either. Leo would make for a fantastic attackmen as well imo. They will need the attack to score to make it far into may.

As I said, this is a nice team but pump the brakes. They didn’t win the big one. Beating Utah, UVM etc is not it. They need to make that step, that’s all I said.

Spallina did not get the better of Zap at all this game. The cuse O is a lot of pretty ball movement and will score their points but as I said, there are only a few superpowers this year ie Duke, UVA, and ND and everyone else. No disrespect to cuse but they always do this with their teams. Front load the home schedule for an extended amount of time with cupcakes (not umd) and never play on the road.

They will need to go 2-0 vs Hop and Army.
I don’t buy the notion that ND, UVA, and Duke have already proven themselves separate from the rest. They may be the best three teams, but I’m not sure they are in a tier of their own.

Would not be surprised to see only one of those three playing on Memorial Day weekend.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:03 am
Will Mark
Bet on himself

— Carc
Carc reads Fanlax !!
Will Mark was 41% save avg last night. 22 SOG for MD 9 saves.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Troll. Real brave stuff.
Spallina is real. Put six of 7 shots on goal against a good defender and easily could have had three goals if not for McNaney who is helluva goalie. #22 isn't the quickest or strongest but have been impressed by use of skillset within team, rarely forces , thought he stuck with a few back ins too long last night when help came, UM coordination and timing on slides are clearly a team strength.

Losing 4q lead was disappointing but saw Orange bright future after a very poor start . Stretch of 9-4 run was led by youngsters not transfers ( Kohn held own with fine successor in Mullen) or vets in last year .Soph Rhoa had coming out party, youngster overshadowed but immense talent. Leo showed off his speed.

. Tillman's provides a edge with game coaching that contrasts with our front man. Given UM propensity to pack, the rockets of Birtwhistle and Kellogg from outside would have been of more benefit than #23 in this game. Stevens skillset is not fully utilized and backup lam should not be taking mins from primary. Man down unit? using backups makes sense from certain angles, see how that develops .Mark stats weren't great but he made some point blank saves in 2nd half . Dwan will be a AA, Rice is a very good dm and Levine showed some promise there. Please to see Caccamo in as third.

One final thought, calling of game has gotten way too soft, question some of the penalties last night including the two minute non releasable on M defender that was not taken advantage of by Cuse. The call off of o/t goal by Leo was correct . Hope for a rematch in tourney
lacrosseculturedaily

Post by lacrosseculturedaily »

Five NCAA Rule Changes to Maximize Fun

https://lacrosseculturedaily.com/2024/0 ... -the-ncaa/
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:22 am

Troll. Real brave stuff.
Spallina is real. Put six of 7 shots on goal against a good defender and easily could have had three goals if not for McNaney who is helluva goalie. #22 isn't the quickest or strongest but have been impressed by use of skillset within team, rarely forces , thought he stuck with a few back ins too long last night when help came, UM coordination and timing on slides are clearly a team strength.

Losing 4q lead was disappointing but saw Orange bright future after a very poor start . Stretch of 9-4 run was led by youngsters not transfers ( Kohn held own with fine successor in Mullen) or vets in last year .Soph Rhoa had coming out party, youngster overshadowed but immense talent. Leo showed off his speed.

. Tillman's provides a edge with game coaching that contrasts with our front man. Given UM propensity to pack, the rockets of Birtwhistle and Kellogg from outside would have been of more benefit than #23 in this game. Stevens skillset is not fully utilized and backup lam should not be taking mins from primary. Man down unit? using backups makes sense from certain angles, see how that develops .Mark stats weren't great but he made some point blank saves in 2nd half . Dwan will be a AA, Rice is a very good dm and Levine showed some promise there. Please to see Caccamo in as third.

One final thought, calling of game has gotten way too soft, question some of the penalties last night including the two minute non releasable on M defender that was not taken advantage of by Cuse. The call off of o/t goal by Leo was correct . Hope for a rematch in tourney

^^^great post. Agree with everything.
molo

Post by molo »

I’d be interested to hear Cuse fans’ reactions to Carc’s suggestion that SU could have inserted either Stevens or English or both at ssdm out of that late TO. Peyton occasion would run Harry as a dm in late period situations.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:29 am Some people have a hard time just saying that this was a great game between two really talented teams. So much fun to watch.

There have been some really boring games and mismatches this early season. This game and the Villanova v Yale game gave me hope that this year will be awesome. More of this please.
Yes please!
Terrific game.

Tremendous goalie play was really fun, and a slugfest by undoubtedly 2 of the best teams this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”