Finster

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:15 pm
Finster wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:28 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:25 pm
Pensky Material wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:03 am
Finster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:54 am It's hard to say much about playing Manhattan. The Jaspers lost their defense from last year (minus one guy), goalie, and FOGO. Their new FOGO is a freshman from Canadauiga, so who knows. The backups saw little to no action in 2023.

Likely to not be much of a game.
Yeah no offense to Manhattan but hopefully this is a game they can empty the bench early.
With Strength of Schedule a major component in the calculations that put a team into (or keeps a team out of) the Big Dance, why on earth would 'cuse schedule Manhattan?

If this is this a legacy commitment, I get it, but when an annual final 4 candidate in a buzzsaw conference builds their schedule.....maybe call an OOC top 20?
tea leaves in the preseason, but 'cuse will probably finish the year with a top 5 sos, and quite likely top 3. their schedule is a good notch higher than '23, and they finished top 3.

if manhattan turns out to be not their strongest opponent, they'll be eliminated from any sos calculation. if the committee uses it at all (and who knows anymore what they care about?), it's defined as your top 10 rpi games. last year, 'cuse had 2 teams holy cross and st bonnies who combined to go 2 and 26, and it didn't ding their sos at all. it would, however, affect rpi if the committee uses it... tho you may not be aware manhattan was 10 and 5 last year.
Last year’s records don’t impact this years rankings. Manhattan lost a ton from last year including their coach.
i'm fairly sure most people are aware that metrics will ultimately be measured on 2024 results. are you making a prediction on manhattan's record? their rpi? 'cuse's sos?

The MAAC is probably the weakest conference in D1 lacrosse, and this year, Manhattan is likely to be at the bottom of that conference. They lost so much from last year.

I will say, as inexperienced teams get into their seasons, they generally improve, so even here, I think Cuse caught Manhattan at the optimal time frame: no games played yet, new FOGO, new coach, new goalie, new defense. YOu could see how inexperienced they were with that faceoff with 3-4 seconds left on the clock...absolutely braindead defending the only obvious play from Syracuse. I'd bet St. Anthony's Varsity lacrosse could have defended that play with no goal given up.

Their OOC schedule is actually impressive with Cuse and Princeton on it.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:11 pm Love the way this team plays the game. Catch the ball, look for open teammate, throw to open teammate, ball just moves, moves, moves, no one holds on to the ball (unless Joey is behind the cage all alone). Hilt's catch and release is just really pretty to watch, so smooth easy and quick. Just ridiculous. Seems to be an unself group that play very well together. There are a bunch of good players on this team at both ends of the field and in the middle...cage too. We'll see how they do v stiffer competition but there's not a whole lot to not like so far.
13 of 16 goals assisted in this one....this season to date 54 goals, 41 assisted.
The first SU team in years, I believe, that can compete with the top teams. I have often argued with the anointing of a 22 every year. At least, wait for a deserving player to emerge. Spallina puts a twist in my underwear. It seems invented just for him. He can make the game look easy. I credit the coaches with recruiting players, like a Fogo and a gk, who fill obvious team needs. Love the beautiful choreography of the offense.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

We’ll find out soon enough how good this team is…UVM, Colgate and Manhattan(all at home) doesn’t mean much when you compare them to their upcoming opponents. Reminds me of Boeheim”s early season scheduling!
Finster

Post by Finster »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:04 pm We’ll find out soon enough how good this team is…UVM, Colgate and Manhattan(all at home) doesn’t mean much when you compare them to their upcoming opponents. Reminds me of Boeheim”s early season scheduling!

Can’t fault Syracuse for the 8 home games to start the season; the Dome keeps the weather factor away, and frankly opposing coaches prefer playing inside versus out in February.

Not looking past Maryland, but the grind of this years schedule really begins with the Hopkins game. 8 games in a row where Cuse will be the favorite in maybe only one.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Local weather looks dicey all weekend.

Anyone want to predict crowd size Saturday night? Even with snow, I say 5,000 attend.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Paul Carcaterra and Chris Cotter discuss MD at SU on Saturday 6pm ESPNU

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... er-e2fqiqe
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

sholokov2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:46 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:11 pm Love the way this team plays the game. Catch the ball, look for open teammate, throw to open teammate, ball just moves, moves, moves, no one holds on to the ball (unless Joey is behind the cage all alone). Hilt's catch and release is just really pretty to watch, so smooth easy and quick. Just ridiculous. Seems to be an unself group that play very well together. There are a bunch of good players on this team at both ends of the field and in the middle...cage too. We'll see how they do v stiffer competition but there's not a whole lot to not like so far.
13 of 16 goals assisted in this one....this season to date 54 goals, 41 assisted.
The first SU team in years, I believe, that can compete with the top teams. I have often argued with the anointing of a 22 every year. At least, wait for a deserving player to emerge. Spallina puts a twist in my underwear. It seems invented just for him. He can make the game look easy. I credit the coaches with recruiting players, like a Fogo and a gk, who fill obvious team needs. Love the beautiful choreography of the offense.
The 22 thing is such a magical tradition. But it certainly takes a very specific young man with the rare combination of talent and intangibles to pull it off. Spallina is a joy to watch.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm
The 22 thing is such a magical tradition. But it certainly takes a very specific young man with the rare combination of talent and intangibles to pull it off. Spallina is a joy to watch.
Yeah, he's impressed me this year, so far. Competition caveats, etc., but he looks more explosive, stronger, more confident. It also seems like he and Hiltz are developing more chemistry, which is great.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:12 pm
Yeah, he's impressed me this year, so far. Competition caveats, etc., but he looks more explosive, stronger, more confident. It also seems like he and Hiltz are developing more chemistry, which is great.
The thing about Spallina that I love about him is how hard the kid works. I always loved the quote - "Hardwork beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" - I always like to add to this with - "just think how good your team will be when the most talented player is also your hardest worker"
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:12 pm
He has a very difficult matchup on Sat. Going to need Mule and the middies who aren't drawing a pole to be able to dodge and take some pressure off of him.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:40 am Local weather looks dicey all weekend.

Anyone want to predict crowd size Saturday night? Even with snow, I say 5,000 attend.

Alright. Buddies of mine are now claiming 10,000 coming tomorrow, snow or not. Tillman and McNaney are upstate boys. Gonna be an interesting game.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:47 pm

Alright. Buddies of mine are now claiming 10,000 coming tomorrow, snow or not. Tillman and McNaney are upstate boys. Gonna be an interesting game.
I doubt there is going to be 10K there tomorrow. The bball team is playing at the same time, most likely 5-7K.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Finster

Post by Finster »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:53 pm

That’s still remarkable.
Finster

Post by Finster »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

I doubt there is going to be 10K there tomorrow. The bball team is playing at the same time, most likely 5-7K.

I’m just happy ESPN is televising it, so we can all see the game. I truly feel the hometown crowd will be the spark for the Orange.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:49 pm

I’m just happy ESPN is televising it, so we can all see the game. I truly feel the hometown crowd will be the spark for the Orange.
I think it will certainly help for sure.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:02 pm

Attendance was 7,314 back in 2022 which is pretty impressive. Start time was noon, not sure if the 6pm start time this year helps or hurts.
Finster

Post by Finster »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:02 pm

One thing about the Syracuse crowd is they are extremely respectful of excellent play, even when it comes from the opponent. They Ike great lacrosse as much as they love the Orange. There’s also not a small contingent who cheer for homegrown talent like Tillman and McNaney.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Bumping this thread. Somebody said Christian Mule was their second best scoring option before. Yaa, Idk about that one.

Couldn’t win the big one vs UMD.

Lot of hype on the train early on
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I didn't see the game, but I expect UMD to make the semis this year, so an OT loss doesn't feel too bad.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”