Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
user1020

Re: Games Today

Post by user1020 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:38 pm The natural order is being restored. You can see that the flag trimmed ladies of the lacrosse state are just scratching the surface of their potential. The 6 foot attacker Russo and number 1 recruit Edmonson are going to push the elders May, Clevenger, and Leubecker to the natty. The Megan Ball led defense is going to be elite. Looks like Cathy is motivated.
Let’s not get carried away
They beat a Syracuse team who before last Saturday nobody on this forum had any hope for. They went on to beat an Army team who is losing to Siena right now 😬 and took MD to OT and honestly could’ve won that game. I still don’t think they even touch Championship Weekend this season. (Would that be the first class to go through MD without a national championship since I don’t know the NU 2000s tear?)
There needs to be a medium here. Does this mean MD will make it to championship weekend? No. Did they beat the best Cuse team ever? No. Did they beat a top 10 team? Yes. Both MD and ND are not getting enough credit for the wins they just had. Yes it’s one game but give them credit so far.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

A new rule is that if a team ends a quarter when man up than they start with the ball the next quarter:
user1020

Post by user1020 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:03 am Congrats to ND, they are much better than I thought. Their zone really impressed me.

My granddaughter (a HS freshman) made an interesting point when I texted her if she watched the game. She said she's gone to multiple games/camps at the Notre Dame indoor facility and the lighting is terrible and takes a while to get use to.

Then I thought about all of the unforced NW turnovers in the game. I don't want to take anything away from ND, but retrospectively conditions played a factor in the result.
Factors may play a part but you can’t blame that as a reason for a loss. NW also plays at ND every other year and has had no trouble winning in the past.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm For me, just based on eye test, I think MIchigan is the most complete team right now. Not saying they should be one, but I think they've played the best to date.
It's 1 game and O'Grady was standing on her head. 13 saves vs. 4 goals allowed. 76.5% save.

Good win by Michigan but not ready to call it a season yet.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:48 pm You can see the Terps are developing. The defense is set.

The offense is still figuring it out but has all the pieces. When they do… watch out.
I agree with this. This MD team is all business and I only see them getting better. I was surprised at Cuse’s offense, I see them struggling with the top 10 teams this year.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

user1020 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 pm
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:03 am Congrats to ND, they are much better than I thought. Their zone really impressed me.

My granddaughter (a HS freshman) made an interesting point when I texted her if she watched the game. She said she's gone to multiple games/camps at the Notre Dame indoor facility and the lighting is terrible and takes a while to get use to.

Then I thought about all of the unforced NW turnovers in the game. I don't want to take anything away from ND, but retrospectively conditions played a factor in the result.
Factors may play a part but you can’t blame that as a reason for a loss. NW also plays at ND every other year and has had no trouble winning in the past.
Turnovers (21 - 15) and draws (20 - 8) led NU to get outshot by ND. 36 -20.
ND won the last 5 draws. LaLiberty's 10 saves kept them in the game.
Nothing that can't get fixed. Better early in the season than later.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Army lost. What idiot on this forum thought they were over taking Loyola in the Patriot?

Well at least I thought Michigan and Maryland were winning today.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:54 pm Army lost. What idiot on this forum thought they were over taking Loyola in the Patriot?

Those were three outstanding upset picks, Relax. Nicely done.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:02 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:54 pm Army lost. What idiot on this forum thought they were over taking Loyola in the Patriot?

Those were three outstanding upset picks, Relax. Nicely done.
Thank you. But I still can’t believe I had Army winning the Patriot. I guess it was wishful thinking. I have a feeling this is gonna be a really fun season with teams not used to being in the top 20 creeping up there because some big wins.
njbill

Post by njbill »

user1020 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:41 pm A new rule is that if a team ends a quarter when man up than they start with the ball the next quarter:
Right you are. Just looked it up. Interesting. But the team has to maintain possession from the time they get it after the card through the end of the period in order to get the ball at the start of the next period (including OT periods). The time on the possession clock doesn't reset at the start of the next period. If, however, the team that got possession after the card loses possession before the period is over, then the ensuing period starts with a draw. Rule 5, sec. 23. New for the 2024-25 rules cycle. I guess I can understand the logic of this.

I feel better. I can excuse myself for not knowing a rule that's new this year. Would be unhappy with myself if this had been a rule for some time.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

If you get a chance, take a look at the Cornell Cal game. Was hilarious. A snow squall hit. Crazy. This was the view.
Attachments
IMG_9033 Small.jpeg
IMG_9033 Small.jpeg (10.39 KiB) Viewed 455 times
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm Boston College is too stacked to not be No. 1, JMU beat an injury-riddled UNC team at HOME by 1 in overtime. They are not No. 1.
UNC have multiple threats, not just the 3 injured. They should have been able to pull off a win with what they had.
The Ortega days are over IMO. JMU was a well oiled machine.
Good for them. Quality win
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Anyone happen to see the vicious off ball hit from Stanford #24 on Yale #12 with no time left on the clock as Yale closed out a 13-12 win? Red card from the official, but I'll bet the family from Yale who has made it their mission to campaign against this kind of illegal play will have something to say.

BTW the daughter of said Yale family who had a serious injury vs. SBU in 2022 scored the game-tying goal today. Nice to see her back on the field.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

McLax9777 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:11 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm Boston College is too stacked to not be No. 1, JMU beat an injury-riddled UNC team at HOME by 1 in overtime. They are not No. 1.
UNC have multiple threats, not just the 3 injured. They should have been able to pull off a win with what they had.
that JMU win was due more to circumstances than JMU being the better team. They played eachother how many times now to start the season? JMU was due for a win and UNC didn't appear to be ready. play that game 10 times UNC wins 8.

JMU struggled vs UCONN today. I don't think that was a quality win because UCONN isn't that good. at their best JMU can beat anyone. I can also see them loosing to just about anyone.

1.BC
2.ND
3.NU
4.UM
5.UNC
6. MD
user1020

Post by user1020 »

NULax2 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:54 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 pm

Turnovers (21 - 15) and draws (20 - 8) led NU to get outshot by ND. 36 -20.
ND won the last 5 draws. LaLiberty's 10 saves kept them in the game.
Nothing that can't get fixed. Better early in the season than later.
Exactly, not a bad time in the season to lose. A loss in a conference championship, while stings, can also be a great weak up call for teams.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:09 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:41 pm A new rule is that if a team ends a quarter when man up than they start with the ball the next quarter:
Right you are. Just looked it up. Interesting. But the team has to maintain possession from the time they get it after the card through the end of the period in order to get the ball at the start of the next period (including OT periods). The time on the possession clock doesn't reset at the start of the next period. If, however, the team that got possession after the card loses possession before the period is over, then the ensuing period starts with a draw. Rule 5, sec. 23. New for the 2024-25 rules cycle. I guess I can understand the logic of this.

I feel better. I can excuse myself for not knowing a rule that's new this year. Would be unhappy with myself if this had been a rule for some time.
Good research. I didn’t know about the draw if the opposing team has possession.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:19 pm
McLax9777 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:11 pm
that JMU win was due more to circumstances than JMU being the better team. They played eachother how many times now to start the season? JMU was due for a win and UNC didn't appear to be ready. play that game 10 times UNC wins 8.

JMU struggled vs UCONN today. I don't think that was a quality win because UCONN isn't that good. at their best JMU can beat anyone. I can also see them loosing to just about anyone.

1.BC
2.ND
3.NU
4.UM
5.UNC
6. MD
I see what you’re saying, I just don’t think they have that old UNC energy anymore.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:29 pm Don't know why Md. got the ball at the beginning of OT2 as opposed to having a draw. The green card was before the end of OT1. I understand that the card carries over, but why no draw? Maybe this isn't analogous, but if a team gets a card at the end of a period (or under the old rules, a half), the card carries over, but you still have a draw to start the next period or half.
New rules allow for possession when there is a player advantage (by either O or D) to carry over to the next period (just like in men's). That was the issue earlier in the game when MD had an advantage and then carelessly was passing the ball around and time expired while the ball was in the air which dictated no possession and a draw had to occur at the start of the next period.
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm Anyone happen to see the vicious off ball hit from Stanford #24 on Yale #12 with no time left on the clock as Yale closed out a 13-12 win? Red card from the official, but I'll bet the family from Yale who has made it their mission to campaign against this kind of illegal play will have something to say.

BTW the daughter of said Yale family who had a serious injury vs. SBU in 2022 scored the game-tying goal today. Nice to see her back on the field.
Just went back and rewatched😮 so unnecessary and props to Jay Browne for setting her straight as she walked off the field.

Not very surprised though.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:03 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm Anyone happen to see the vicious off ball hit from Stanford #24 on Yale #12 with no time left on the clock as Yale closed out a 13-12 win? Red card from the official, but I'll bet the family from Yale who has made it their mission to campaign against this kind of illegal play will have something to say.

Just went back and rewatched😮 so unnecessary and props to Jay Browne for setting her straight as she walked off the field.

Not very surprised though.
I am assuming that there are no repercussions for this card ... since there was no time on the clock when she was ejected. Maybe THAT should be a rule change?!?!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”