Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Games Today

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:24 pm Crazy amount of coaching in the Maryland - Syracuse game. You can just see the difference between these games and other lesser conference games. The amount of matchups and taking players off the field on the fly is crazy. The last 5 minutes and ot took almost an an hour with the amount of time outs and the changes they made. Acc Network did a good job taking you inside the coaches huddles to show what they are doing.

All that coaching and Maryland still forced it in the end. Maryland Almost Let this one slip through. Got bailed out with a green card.
To be fair, these two coaches probably have more options on their bench than lower conference counterparts. Reminds me of my first year coaching. We were getting blown out by the top team in our conference. Our assistant came up to me and said "We gotta make a change to the rotation."

I responded, "Exactly WHO do you want me to bring in?"
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:32 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:24 pm Crazy amount of coaching in the Maryland - Syracuse game. You can just see the difference between these games and other lesser conference games. The amount of matchups and taking players off the field on the fly is crazy. The last 5 minutes and ot took almost an an hour with the amount of time outs and the changes they made. Acc Network did a good job taking you inside the coaches huddles to show what they are doing.

All that coaching and Maryland still forced it in the end. Maryland Almost Let this one slip through. Got bailed out with a green card.
To be fair, these two coaches probably have more options on their bench than lower conference counterparts. Reminds me of my first year coaching. We were getting blown out by the top team in our conference. Our assistant came up to me and said "We gotta make a change to the rotation."

Wow didn’t see Md winning this game . Tough start to Cuse season .
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Congrats to KD for her 1st win at Brown. 1-0 :P
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

The save percentages in the UM-DEN game are wild:

Bohi (Denver): 12.5%
O'Grady (Michigan): 72.7%

Is it not past time for Denver to pull their goalie?
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The natural order is being restored. You can see that the flag trimmed ladies of the lacrosse state are just scratching the surface of their potential. The 6 foot attacker Russo and number 1 recruit Edmonson are going to push the elders May, Clevenger, and Leubecker to the natty. The Megan Ball led defense is going to be elite. Looks like Cathy is motivated.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Pios got a Jersey goalie coming next year. South Jersey to boot. :)
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:38 pm The natural order is being restored. You can see that the flag trimmed ladies of the lacrosse state are just scratching the surface of their potential. The 6 foot attacker Russo and number 1 recruit Edmonson are going to push the elders May, Clevenger, and Leubecker to the natty. The Megan Ball led defense is going to be elite. Looks like Cathy is motivated.
Let’s not get carried away
They beat a Syracuse team who before last Saturday nobody on this forum had any hope for. They went on to beat an Army team who is losing to Siena right now 😬 and took MD to OT and honestly could’ve won that game. I still don’t think they even touch Championship Weekend this season. (Would that be the first class to go through MD without a national championship since I don’t know the NU 2000s tear?)
Last edited by lacrosselaxin20 on Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:38 pm The natural order is being restored. You can see that the flag trimmed ladies of the lacrosse state are just scratching the surface of their potential. The 6 foot attacker Russo and number 1 recruit Edmonson are going to push the elders May, Clevenger, and Leubecker to the natty. The Megan Ball led defense is going to be elite. Looks like Cathy is motivated.
hahaha :lol:
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 pm
Right? Cuse’s offense was not good at all today. How do you turn it over on a shot-clock violation when man-up at the end of the game?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:32 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:29 pm Don't know why Md. got the ball at the beginning of OT2 as opposed to having a draw. The green card was before the end of OT1. I understand that the card carries over, but why no draw? Maybe this isn't analogous, but if a team gets a card at the end of a period (or under the old rules, a half), the card carries over, but you still have a draw to start the next period or half.
This also had me a little puzzled? When did this rule change happen or have I just missed it my entire life?
Would’ve re-draw after the second 3 mins. There’s two halves. 2 3 min quarters each half. No redraw on the quarters.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:32 pm

Made me laugh at that. But yes. That’s my point max. And o said it earlier. Just look at box scores where most d1 teams outside the top 30 have three kids scoring goals.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

You can see the Terps are developing. The defense is set.

The offense is still figuring it out but has all the pieces. When they do… watch out.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:36 pm Maryland wins today. No doubt. Gonna be an upsets. Mich over Denver. Book it. Coastal not looking good against Clemson. That won’t be one of them. Right them off. And I was wrong on Army. Watch Sienna beat them today.
Villanova having trouble with…..Bucknell. This is either gonna be a fun season or some of these teams just can’t get with it in the first few games against inferior opponents.
Alright. One in. Another one coming. And maybe Army loses. Oh…… And let’s pump the brakes on JMU the number 2 team. They just squeaked by UConn.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

UNC honestly would be my No. 1 candidate if they were fully healthy. Right now, they just need their defense to be better and they are obviously a top 4 team. They’ve scored 56 goals in the first 3 games. The freshman attackers are stepping up and looking great. Godine is starting to get hot but her normal spot (behind the net) was taken so she needs to get used to playing less of a behind the net role. Wurzburger and Humphrey are great at feeding and scoring sometimes. I think this UNC team could go far when their defense and goalie starts to get better farther into the season.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:46 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:29 pm Don't know why Md. got the ball at the beginning of OT2 as opposed to having a draw. The green card was before the end of OT1. I understand that the card carries over, but why no draw? Maybe this isn't analogous, but if a team gets a card at the end of a period (or under the old rules, a half), the card carries over, but you still have a draw to start the next period or half.
This also had me a little puzzled? When did this rule change happen or have I just missed it my entire life?
Would’ve re-draw after the second 3 mins. There’s two halves. 2 3 min quarters each half. No redraw on the quarters.
Just took a look at the college and HS rules. HS rules (with which I'm more familiar) specifically call for a draw after the first 3 min period, which is consistent with games I've attended for years.

The college rules don't have the same language. They provide:

Overtime Procedures
SECTION 8. The procedure for sudden-victory overtime will include the
following: When the score is tied at the end of regular playing time, both teams
will have a five-minute rest and toss a coin for choice of ends. This coin toss
will not include a choice of possession. The alternate possession shall continue
from regulation. One six-minute period of sudden-victory overtime will be
played. Teams will change ends after the first three-minute half with no delay for
coaching. Substitutions may occur at this time. The game will be restarted by a
draw.
The winner will be decided by “sudden victory.” The team that scores the
first goal wins the game. If neither team has scored after the first overtime period
of six minutes, there will be a three-minute rest followed by the teams switching
ends again and beginning a second period of six minutes (two three-minute
halves) of sudden-victory overtime. Substitutions may occur at this time. The
game will be restarted by a draw.
This procedure of play will continue until the
first goal is scored.

Frankly, I read this as requiring a draw after the first three minute period. If that isn't the intention, why isn't there language that says "the team that had possession at the end of OT1 gets the ball at the beginning of OT2"?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

For me, just based on eye test, I think MIchigan is the most complete team right now. Not saying they should be one, but I think they've played the best to date.

From a ranking perspective, I would definitely put Michigan ahead of Denver, JMU, Cuse and MD though. I think they are better than ND, but gotta give the Irish credit for beating NW.

At this point, I think there is BC on top and a group of five below them (pick your order) -- UNC, NW, ND, Michigan, MD
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm For me, just based on eye test, I think MIchigan is the most complete team right now. Not saying they should be one, but I think they've played the best to date.

From a ranking perspective, I would definitely put Michigan ahead of Denver, JMU, Cuse and MD though. I think they are better than ND, but gotta give the Irish credit for beating NW.

At this point, I think there is BC on top and a group of five below them (pick your order) -- UNC, NW, ND, Michigan, MD
Honestly for me it is
1. BC
2. Notre Dame
3. Northwestern
4. Michigan
5. Maryland
6. UNC
7. JMU
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

laxer12 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:28 pm Horrible game by the entire Cuse offense. So many chances and missed opportunities. They don't have any true leaders on the offensive end; you could tell no one had the confidence to make the game-winning play. Big opportunity missed for Cuse.
4 pipes by 15 natty UMD .

Just gonna get better. They are in the infant stage of offense only going to advance.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:20 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm For me, just based on eye test, I think MIchigan is the most complete team right now. Not saying they should be one, but I think they've played the best to date.

Honestly for me it is
1. BC
2. Notre Dame
3. Northwestern
4. Michigan
5. Maryland
6. UNC
7. JMU
honestly JMU rightfully should be in front of UNC but mine r based off of power rankings so I think UNC had an amazing win over Florida and Liberty and their win over UConn was fine but struggling.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:08 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:46 pm
Just took a look at the college and HS rules. HS rules (with which I'm more familiar) specifically call for a draw after the first 3 min period, which is consistent with games I've attended for years.

The college rules don't have the same language. They provide:

Overtime Procedures
SECTION 8. The procedure for sudden-victory overtime will include the
following: When the score is tied at the end of regular playing time, both teams
will have a five-minute rest and toss a coin for choice of ends. This coin toss
will not include a choice of possession. The alternate possession shall continue
from regulation. One six-minute period of sudden-victory overtime will be
played. Teams will change ends after the first three-minute half with no delay for
coaching. Substitutions may occur at this time. The game will be restarted by a
draw.
The winner will be decided by “sudden victory.” The team that scores the
first goal wins the game. If neither team has scored after the first overtime period
of six minutes, there will be a three-minute rest followed by the teams switching
ends again and beginning a second period of six minutes (two three-minute
halves) of sudden-victory overtime. Substitutions may occur at this time. The
game will be restarted by a draw.
This procedure of play will continue until the
first goal is scored.

Frankly, I read this as requiring a draw after the first three minute period. If that isn't the intention, why isn't there language that says "the team that had possession at the end of OT1 gets the ball at the beginning of OT2"?
If the team with possession at the end of the period is woman-up, they get the free clear to start next period?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”