Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Ketch »

Just reviewing some of the posts and the bickering... To quote Mick Jagger from the movie Gimme Shelter, "Brothers and sisters, what are we fighting for? Just chill out." Let's get firmly behind the team. We're one game in.
Moveit

Post by Moveit »

This whole board has become unhinged. It should be deleted. I understand that speculation is a part of a board like this but the amount of ridiculous speculation that goes on pertaining to this program is insane. For those that are in “the know” should probably filter out that things that aren’t necessary to the general topic. Especially in regards to people’s personal matters. Individual experiences of players as a part of the program, sure, criticism of the staff, sure, but blatant disrespect and hurtful comments of coaches personal lives and player performances, even if accurate are extremely distasteful and say a lot more about the posters on this forum than the subjects of their comments. Disgusting is a mild way to put it, please look in the mirror.

In regards to the current team, was it good performance, no. It’s one game. Will it continue, who knows. I have no doubt in my mind that these players care a whole lot more than anyone on this board and are working extremely hard to do better. Also can say with certainty that any player that pours their heart and soul into their experience at Hobart under Greg Raymond will come out the other side having grown personally and more prepared for what’s next. Everyone’s expectations are different for the program and that’s fair as well but maybe think twice about how you communicate any efforts falling short. We all hope for a great season for the statesmen and a bright future ahead. There is something to be said for alumni and fans that don’t immediately divide with one bad loss. Probably the opposite of what you hope the team does.

We all know this team can play good lacrosse. They better believe that more than a bunch of has beens that aren’t in the arena giving their thoughts behind a keyboard. We all want the same thing. Wish them well, support, have some tact when you criticize and make sure it’s all based on the fact that you want the program to do well. You can support while providing your opinion. The team can be good and still play poorly from time to time.

Hope the statesmen in the locker room stick together and understand what they are capable of, and most importantly don’t read into what is written on this board and understand that for the most part, it’s all garbage. And they understand that despite how disgusting some of the posters on this board are, it’s all bc they are passionate about HWS and want them to succeed even though it doesn’t read that way, at all, almost ever.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

"has beens" ??? Move it, a lot of the posters on this board are the players that made Hobart lacrosse. We all have every right to express our opinions. Even outside observers, many of which have played the game as adversaries, are seeing what this threads posters are saying. You coming on here with you first post telling the rest of us to essentially shut up is offensive to myself and I'm sure others who have supported this program for decades. Your entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

Most of us support the program in many ways. We have high expectations for the program and having watched what has happened too often as of late, are disappointed. If we didn't think they could play better and coach better, there would be a lot less chatter on this thread.
Last edited by oldbartman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moveit

Post by Moveit »

Thanks for hearing me out. I just don’t think it helps Hobart Lacrosse. Keep doing your thing. I have the utmost respect for Hobart lacrosse and the historical success and tradition. It’s special. I’d like everyone to know and hear about it. Don’t think the negative and personal posts are productive for what either of us are hoping for, success.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Oldbartman.....Amen!!!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

We're just old guys talking about lacrosse. I sure hope players aren't reading these posts. They should be playing, practicing, studying, partying with friends. We all care about Hobart lacrosse, and I'm happy there's a place to do it.
It's not like Sunday wasn't a crappy game. It's not like players would be surprised to hear it was a crappy game. I'm not on fanlax to help Hobart lacrosse. I do that elsewhere. This is just another way to follow the team.
Everyone here supports Hobart lacrosse.
And Ketch is right. It's just one game in.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Hey, I’m not old….I’m seasoned well. Our talent level is fine. Our coaching is generally good. It is only week 2. But also we need to be agile and change things up when they are not working. So that is what I will be watching for - three scrimmages and one game and lots of the same stuff has been repeating. Lets show well against UofM!!
Bart

Post by Bart »

Moveit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:03 pm This whole board has become unhinged. It should be deleted. I understand that speculation is a part of a board like this but the amount of ridiculous speculation that goes on pertaining to this program is insane. For those that are in “the know” should probably filter out that things that aren’t necessary to the general topic. Especially in regards to people’s personal matters. Individual experiences of players as a part of the program, sure, criticism of the staff, sure, but blatant disrespect and hurtful comments of coaches personal lives and player performances, even if accurate are extremely distasteful and say a lot more about the posters on this forum than the subjects of their comments. Disgusting is a mild way to put it, please look in the mirror.

In regards to the current team, was it good performance, no. It’s one game. Will it continue, who knows. I have no doubt in my mind that these players care a whole lot more than anyone on this board and are working extremely hard to do better. Also can say with certainty that any player that pours their heart and soul into their experience at Hobart under Greg Raymond will come out the other side having grown personally and more prepared for what’s next. Everyone’s expectations are different for the program and that’s fair as well but maybe think twice about how you communicate any efforts falling short. We all hope for a great season for the statesmen and a bright future ahead. There is something to be said for alumni and fans that don’t immediately divide with one bad loss. Probably the opposite of what you hope the team does.

We all know this team can play good lacrosse. They better believe that more than a bunch of has beens that aren’t in the arena giving their thoughts behind a keyboard. We all want the same thing. Wish them well, support, have some tact when you criticize and make sure it’s all based on the fact that you want the program to do well. You can support while providing your opinion. The team can be good and still play poorly from time to time.

Hope the statesmen in the locker room stick together and understand what they are capable of, and most importantly don’t read into what is written on this board and understand that for the most part, it’s all garbage. And they understand that despite how disgusting some of the posters on this board are, it’s all bc they are passionate about HWS and want them to succeed even though it doesn’t read that way, at all, almost ever.
Has beens? :lol: :lol: :lol: I love it.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm "has beens" ??? Move it, a lot of the posters on this board are the players that made Hobart lacrosse. We all have every right to express our opinions. Even outside observers, many of which have played the game as adversaries, are seeing what this threads posters are saying. You coming on here with you first post telling the rest of us to essentially shut up is offensive to myself and I'm sure others who have supported this program for decades. Your entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

Most of us support the program in many ways. We have high expectations for the program and having watched what has happened too often as of late, are disappointed. If we didn't think they could play better and coach better, there would be a lot less chatter on this thread.
+1

It is amusing to get FFG going, though!
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

The commentary on this thread is mostly hypothetical & uninformed. Do current players read this forum? yes. I'd say theyre laughing at a lot of this commentary thinking "no sh*t we didnt play our best". It was the first game! (not that thats an exucse but c'mon)

Was the stick work great? No. Did the statesman look sloppy in the ride? Yes at times. It was Hobarts first game vs a team that already has gone through 2 top 15 games (PSU & 'Cuse). The shooting etc. can be figured out by game feel. The O did look really good at times and so did the D. freshman were impact players and a good sign that this program is solid. Every great team needs freshman contributors along with veterans in key positions ... which we have. Excited to watch the statesman compete this weekend.

Hip Hip
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

eldeststatesman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:47 pm The commentary on this thread is mostly hypothetical & uninformed. Do current players read this forum? yes. I'd say theyre laughing at a lot of this commentary thinking "no sh*t we didnt play our best". It was the first game! (not that thats an exucse but c'mon)

Was the stick work great? No. Did the statesman look sloppy in the ride? Yes at times. It was Hobarts first game vs a team that already has gone through 2 top 15 games (PSU & 'Cuse). The shooting etc. can be figured out by game feel. The O did look really good at times and so did the D. freshman were impact players and a good sign that this program is solid. Every great team needs freshman contributors along with veterans in key positions ... which we have. Excited to watch the statesman compete this weekend.

Hip Hip
Thanks for the positivity!
315lax

Post by 315lax »

Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I thought the podcast was quite positive. Coach seems to have the right attitude, and he accepted lots of responsibility for the Colgate game. Our guys have nothing to lose tomorrow, and I hope they play that way. I spoke to some this week at Wegmans, and they are under no illusions. But, I'll tell you, they seem to be a very tight bunch and have all of the ingredients to support each other and lift the game. Saw guys playing wall ball in the field house on their own time, putting extra time in at the weight room. They are willing to do what it takes. An experience of playing with some flow, win or lose (though I hope we win), will help us in the long run. Shea will be tested much more than last week, so the wing play will have to level up this week. We'll see if the D gels ... didn't realize that Firth is just a junior. He is an anchor there. Will keep a special eye on defensive performance. On O, I hope we can see Bach given permission to be a bit more aggressive on shots. Not saying he needs another 6 goal game, but when the other team realizes he is capable and willing to put up 6 goals, they'll devote more resources to him and it will open everyone else. FWIW, I am a big Rosa fan for several reasons. But, above it all, he has an great and infectious work ethic that lifts everyone. You see it just in his off ball movement. And, when things click with him, I think Datellas can pick away at GLE, outside and on the doorstep. Peterson feeding might be the key to all of that. I'd also like to see Ward in from time to time aside from EMOs.
The bad news is that the Michigan game will not be live streamed AND it seems like it won't be radio broadcast :x
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

eldeststatesman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:47 pm The commentary on this thread is mostly hypothetical & uninformed. Do current players read this forum? yes. I'd say theyre laughing at a lot of this commentary thinking "no sh*t we didnt play our best". It was the first game! (not that thats an exucse but c'mon)

Hip Hip
Hypothetical? Yes. Uninformed? No. We all watch the games and are hoping the DJU axiom proves correct: You improve the most from game 1 to game 2. Despite having 2+ scrimmages(VT, Yale & Fairfield) I will give the 1 game anxiety some credence--although Colgate went on the road in their first game and took down a Top 10 team. Nonetheless, D needs to slide smarter, O needs to take better shots. The O devolved into too much 1v1 and little off ball activity. They seemed to get their footing later in the game but they had already spotted Colgate a 5g lead. Would like to see Barthelme get more PT. Rosa does all the little things well, but if we're not creating separation/slides his--an others--off ball movement is moot. If they can clear the ball more effectively, go 50/50 on the draws and generate some O early, they can give the wolverines a ballgame. Fingers crossed...
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Does anyone know if the game is being radio broadcast? The podcast implied it wasn't, but I see a link on the schedule page. Maybe a Michigan announcer? BTW, a 1PM start today.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:00 am Does anyone know if the game is being radio broadcast? The podcast implied it wasn't, but I see a link on the schedule page. Maybe a Michigan announcer? BTW, a 1PM start today.
Saw on Facebook that Ted Baker is in Toledo and will be heading up to broadcast the game. And for what it's worth, I also saw somewhere that the game is supposed to be televised on BTN+. That may have been the plan before the change of venue and no longer hold.

Let's hope for a strong showing!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

That sounds right, Ketch...on Ted's podcast, Raymond said(as Laxgunea wrote) that the Detroit Country Day indoor complex is similar in size to the Poole dome--limited spectators(Hobart allotted 80 tkts) and doubtful there'll be room for radio broadcast. Encouraging to hear that Ted will be heading there, appears we will get a radio feed!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Much better. Loving the calm ... not the turnovers. But they are playing self possessed lacrosse. Now ... keep it going for 4 quarters. Let's see a whole game.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Listened to Ted and Dave’s call. Credit Ted for powering thru with a bad cold.

Good first half but typical of Raymond’s last 11 seasons, his guys can’t play a full 60. Way too much 1:1 iso dodging and no passing. Offense disappeared in 3rd quarter and made the UM GK look like a 1st team AA.

Definitely an improvement from Week 1 but this team still needs a lot of work.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Speechless

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”