Cuse at NU

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Cuse at NU

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I can't believe that this was a one goal game in the middle of the fourth quarter.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:39 am I can't believe that this was a one goal game in the middle of the fourth quarter.
Adamson came in clutch Sweitzer had a rough first half Mashewske first game back Let’s see what happens
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:32 pm You need help figuring out the point?
Yes. You state Cuse was 2 of 7 and that they should make those FPSs. And if they did, they would have won the game. But Northwestern was only 2 of 6 and if they made all of theirs, then Cuse wouldn’t have won.

Cuse typically averages around 40-45% on FPSs like every other team in NCAA. And since you are a smart guy, you can’t be stating that if Cuse went 7 of 7 (since they should), then they win the game.

So hence…your point?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I didn't see the game and all FPSs are not created equal, don't know what hash(s) they were taken from.
Moral of your story is Northwestern needs to get better at FPSs, this wouldn't have been a close game had
they done better from there. Cuse too, this gave them an opportunity to win it despite the draw difference
but they didn't. 40-45% is not good enough in my book, FPSs are golden opportunities that need to be taken
advantage of. One team going 2 of 6 has nothing to do with the other team going 2 of 7.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

intheknow247 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:51 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:32 pm You need help figuring out the point?
Yes. You state Cuse was 2 of 7 and that they should make those FPSs. And if they did, they would have won the game. But Northwestern was only 2 of 6 and if they made all of theirs, then Cuse wouldn’t have won.

Cuse typically averages around 40-45% on FPSs like every other team in NCAA. And since you are a smart guy, you can’t be stating that if Cuse went 7 of 7 (since they should), then they win the game.

So hence…your point?
I think his point is that if Cuse canned all or most of theirs, and Northwestern remained 2for 6, Syracuse might have won. DMac has always —for years now — believed that 50 percent is much too low.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:25 pm I didn't see the game and all FPSs are not created equal, don't know what hash(s) they were taken from.
Moral of your story is Northwestern needs to get better at FPSs, this wouldn't have been a close game had
they done better from there. Cuse too, this gave them an opportunity to win it despite the draw difference
but they didn't. 40-45% is not good enough in my book, FPSs are golden opportunities that need to be taken
advantage of. One team going 2 of 6 has nothing to do with the other team going 2 of 7.
Agree. Also some of those FPs are man up, which is more and more common. Coaches will back up out there 90 percent of the time
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:25 pm I didn't see the game and all FPSs are not created equal, don't know what hash(s) they were taken from.
Correct, one teams FPSs have nothing to do with the other teams FPSs. But both were close to their average (Cuse maybe a goal under). I would recommend watching FPSs then to learn the intricacies rather than stating Cuse should have won because they should have made all of their FPSs. Saying the most important aspect of the game was Cuse going 2 for 7 on FPSs because they should just make them all sounds silly...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Never said that and never said they should have won.
Too many shots miss the cage completely on FPSs, too
many shots shot at the GK. Averages mean nothing to me,
they're far lower than they should be, IMO. Intricacies
shmintracacies, you're 1v1 with the GK with a lot of open
net to put the ball by her. Yup, the GK is going to get some
but that should be a low percent of the time. These are golden
opportunities to score that need to be taken advantage of.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:13 pm Never said that and never said they should have won.
It seems like you are equating FPS to a PK in soccer which is silly. You have a goalie(most of whom are probably at least 5'5" tall) with a 4' long stick with a head that's over a foot wide standing in a 6' x 6' cage. Leaving the hanging hashes out of this, 2 of the 5(40%) of the opportunities are from a terrible angle either forcing the shooter to use their off hand or make their angle even worse by using their dominant hand. Then, the shooter has 2 options. Fire it from the 8 or try to run in. Starting with option A, there are very few players that can consistently bury shots from that far out. If you've ever taken shots with a women's lacrosse stick, you know why, so not sure what percentage you think would be acceptable from that range. Any D1 goalie is going to save a high percentage from that distance and there is also a decent percentage that will miss the cage. For option B, the shooter has a defender on each side crashing hard on her with their sticks extended to get in the shooting area. In most cases, even when successful, the shooter is shooting through defenders sticks. Some players just aren't quick or fast enough to get inside on FPs if the defenders around them have a quicker break off the line.

Charlotte North who many consider the best shooter ever, and most prolific 8m shooter for sure, was 50/82 at BC on FPs. That's 61%.

Another great shooter, Selena Lasota, was 64/124 for her career. That's 52%.

What exactly do you think would be an acceptable rate of FPs?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:13 pm Never said that and never said they should have won.
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often...

njbill

Post by njbill »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:41 pm What exactly do you think would be an acceptable rate of FPs?
100% if the team I’m rooting for is shooting. 0% if it’s the other team. 8-)
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:55 pm
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often...

You betchya.
So what do you do when you're player up on a FPS?
Back it out.
:?:
DMac

Post by DMac »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:41 pm
It seems like you are equating FPS to a PK in soccer which is silly. You have a goalie(most of whom are probably at least 5'5" tall) with a 4' long stick with a head that's over a foot wide standing in a 6' x 6' cage. Leaving the hanging hashes out of this, 2 of the 5(40%) of the opportunities are from a terrible angle either forcing the shooter to use their off hand or make their angle even worse by using their dominant hand. Then, the shooter has 2 options. Fire it from the 8 or try to run in. Starting with option A, there are very few players that can consistently bury shots from that far out. If you've ever taken shots with a women's lacrosse stick, you know why, so not sure what percentage you think would be acceptable from that range. Any D1 goalie is going to save a high percentage from that distance and there is also a decent percentage that will miss the cage. For option B, the shooter has a defender on each side crashing hard on her with their sticks extended to get in the shooting area. In most cases, even when successful, the shooter is shooting through defenders sticks. Some players just aren't quick or fast enough to get inside on FPs if the defenders around them have a quicker break off the line.

Charlotte North who many consider the best shooter ever, and most prolific 8m shooter for sure, was 50/82 at BC on FPs. That's 61%.

=DMac post_id=518607 time=1707844422 user_id=582]

Nothing silly going on there, have no idea how one would deduct there was any equating of FPSs to PKs in soccer from what's been said. Other than trying to put a ball in a goal there is virtually no similarity in the two attempts. JFTR, soccer annoys me. I don't like the game might be understating. I could fix it but the soccer world doesn't seem to be all that concerned about casual fan input as the lacrosse world is.
Admittedly, there's a ton of ignorance going on here. Mother didn't play wlax (not thinkin' there was lacrosse in Deutschland in the 30s and 40s), no sisters, no daughters, had none of those (re daughters, good part of the reason I'm not in jail or the nuthouse). Don't have five minutes on a wlax field, have never attempted a FPS (have shot at the cage plenty from there though).
I fully understand the size of the cage and available space left in it when the GK is in the cage. There's still a lot of room there. Learned to play with wooden sticks, played with the first evolution of Tupperwares, have thrown it around and shot at the cage a ton with the 80s sticks (evolution for malx sticks should have stopped there), very little experience with a wlax stick but from that little experience I find them to be very similar to the 80s mlaxers sticks (and wlaxers now do much the same with their sticks as 80s mlaxers did....when Gary and bro revolutionized the game), I get the sticks and I get the angles. I also get that all these athletes aren't equally gifted with speed, quickness and stick handling ability, some are better equipped to take advantage of the situation than others for sure.
I feel as if I see way too many failed FPS opportunities, opportunities from a good hash. I think it's hard to say what percent is acceptable as there are too many variables. What hash, game situation, quality of player attempting, etc.
Nattie Smith on the center hash should, imho, score 90% of the time. (but she'll shoot level from the hip to the GKs stick....sooo hoping she developed a variety of shots during the off season) Maddy Baxter too. I feel as if good O players should be successful from there 75-80% of the time.
Just have to take advantage of the opportunity given to you on FPSs, it's a golden opportunity.

The NFL's got Taylor, can we have Miley?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbdRLyixJpc
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:30 pm
Nattie Smith on the center hash should, imho, score 90% of the time. (but she'll shoot level from the hip to the GKs stick....sooo hoping she developed a variety of shots during the off season) Maddy Baxter too. I feel as if good O players should be successful from there 75-80% of the time.
Just have to take advantage of the opportunity given to you on FPSs, it's a golden opportunity.
I don't know what the percentage should be, but, if you are a D1 (we are in the D1 forum) attacker/midfielder that has experience shooting, you should score more than not. My advice to my daughters has always been, hold until you get the goalie set, find the whole she gives. Changing levels/faking almost always leads to goals....It takes a lot of confidence and stick skill to continue through the adjacent checking, but in tight, you should win...
LuvLax

Post by LuvLax »

From the NU student newspaper, The Daily Northwestern a little insight into the coach & team.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2024/02/1 ... nal-title/
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Nothing silly going on there, have no idea how one would deduct there was any equating of FPSs to PKs in soccer from what's been said. Other than trying to put a ball in a goal there is virtually no similarity in the two attempts. JFTR, soccer annoys me. I don't like the game might be understating. I could fix it but the soccer world doesn't seem to be all that concerned about casual fan input as the lacrosse world is.
Admittedly, there's a ton of ignorance going on here. Mother didn't play wlax (not thinkin' there was lacrosse in Deutschland in the 30s and 40s), no sisters, no daughters, had none of those (re daughters, good part of the reason I'm not in jail or the nuthouse). Don't have five minutes on a wlax field, have never attempted a FPS (have shot at the cage plenty from there though).
I fully understand the size of the cage and available space left in it when the GK is in the cage. There's still a lot of room there. Learned to play with wooden sticks, played with the first evolution of Tupperwares, have thrown it around and shot at the cage a ton with the 80s sticks (evolution for malx sticks should have stopped there), very little experience with a wlax stick but from that little experience I find them to be very similar to the 80s mlaxers sticks (and wlaxers now do much the same with their sticks as 80s mlaxers did....when Gary and bro revolutionized the game), I get the sticks and I get the angles. I also get that all these athletes aren't equally gifted with speed, quickness and stick handling ability, some are better equipped to take advantage of the situation than others for sure.
I feel as if I see way too many failed FPS opportunities, opportunities from a good hash. I think it's hard to say what percent is acceptable as there are too many variables. What hash, game situation, quality of player attempting, etc.

“Mr. DMAC, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
Bart

Post by Bart »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 pm

“Mr. DMAC, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
Excellent Billy Madison pull……
DMac

Post by DMac »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 pm “Mr. DMAC, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
Don't know about everyone else but if you can deduct nothing from that you were plenty dumb enough to begin with. FPS stats give a twisted story, don't tell it like it is. Player goes to the center hash, runs it in and puts it in the cage (like she should from there). Same player goes to the same hash but pulls out and passes to a teammate (game situation calls for that). Stats tell me she went 50% on her FPSs. That's not accurate, she went 100%. That's why it's hard to say what percent a team should be shooting, there are too many variables, you have to know where they're shooting from and game situations to be able to determine that. Sticks, yup, I get it...goal size and available room to put the ball in, yup, I get it. Try to keep up.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:36 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 pm “Mr. DMAC, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
Don't know about everyone else but if you can deduct nothing from that you were plenty dumb enough to begin with. FPS stats give a twisted story, don't tell it like it is. Player goes to the center hash, runs it in and puts it in the cage (like she should from there). Same player goes to the same hash but pulls out and passes to a teammate (game situation calls for that). Stats tell me she went 50% on her FPSs. That's not accurate, she went 100%. That's why it's hard to say what percent a team should be shooting, there are too many variables, you have to know where they're shooting from and game situations to be able to determine that. Sticks, yup, I get it...goal size and available room to put the ball in, yup, I get it. Try to keep up.
I’m 99.9% sure when the ball is pulled out it doesn’t count as a FPS in the stats. Only when a shot is actually attempted.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're probably right. Emma Ward went to the line once v Army but passed off to Adamson who didn't score on the shot. Stats don't show Emma for any FPSs. Stats still don't give you an accurate picture though, all FPSs are not created equal.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”