6) Mules
7) WAC
8) Ford
9) McDanks
Laxdds

Re: Centennial Conference 2024

Post by Laxdds »

It's go time!!!
Good luck to all my CC cohorts. I hope it is a competitive and fun season and everyone stays healthy, As always GO BULLETS!!
ShotGunTrad

Post by ShotGunTrad »

As an alum and biased, I see Swarthmore as not a one and done phenomenon from last year. They were a very young team in 2023. This showed in some of their 1 point games and the 2 away games at Dickinson where they were beaten emotionally as well as physically. That is a tough venue with some "vocal fans". Also showed itself in NCAA loss which was a mess. No ball control or time out management.
Swat has done a great job in recruiting during and after Covid. Many of the high end schools have capitalized on the covid recruiting shortages at the DI level due to 5/6 year student athletes. Player points in 23 show them returning all their top some underclassmen/Freshman in that mix. They started 5 freshman in 2023 and only lost a few seniors whose positions were significantly upgraded with recruiting. They are deep in goal and run a dynamic offense that can put up points. Their risk will be maturity, transition game improvement and the FOGO is an unknown. Big tests in conference though I think without a goalie at the caliber of Brandau coupled with a them playing Dickinson at home could make a difference. A spring break trip to Amherst will set the tone for them. I picked Gettysburg first as I do think this is a sleeper of a team and has a number of players that can ball out and I sense they will have a chip on their shoulder.
My take on the conference top 5:
1 Gettysburg
2 Swarthmore
3 Dickinson
4 F&M
5 Muhlenberg
pc58

Post by pc58 »

hope you are right about Gburg . IMO, key factor would be having FOGO that goes above 50% against top teams.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Centennial Coaches Poll

Rank | Institution (First-Place Votes) Points
1. Dickinson (7) 63
2. Gettysburg (1) 55
3. Swarthmore (1) 53
4. Franklin & Marshall 39
5. Muhlenberg 32
6. Ursinus 28
7. Washington College 27
8. Haverford 19
9. McDaniel 8

https://centennial.org/news/2024/2/6/me ... -poll.aspx
Ash()kG

Post by Ash()kG »

JPAtlantic wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:49 pm Centennial Coaches Poll

Rank | Institution (First-Place Votes) Points
1. Dickinson (7) 63
2. Gettysburg (1) 55
3. Swarthmore (1) 53
4. Franklin & Marshall 39
5. Muhlenberg 32
6. Ursinus 28
7. Washington College 27
8. Haverford 19
9. McDaniel 8

https://centennial.org/news/2024/2/6/me ... -poll.aspx

Let's Play Overrated/Underrated/Properly rated, shall we?

1. Dickinson- PROPERLY RATED
This group will certainly be "the hunted" this year. They return the most All-CC players with 8, including the attack line that's led them to back-to-back CC titles and Mckee at the X. Webster is the gold standard in the CC right now. Very deserving at this ranking, but they do lose key defensive pieces that may take time to replace. If anybody knocks the Red Devils off in conference this year, I expect it to be in the playoffs.

2.Gettysburg- PROPERLY RATED
Gettysburg has been chomping at the bit for a CC title for the past 5-6 years, but arguably has been the most successful OOC. They graduate a lot but their defense will be stout as always. They will likely need some younger guys to step up for them to justify this raking, but I would not be surprised to see them back in the CC Championship this year. Guys like Dunleavy and Barbera return to lead this team as 2 of their 3 returning All-CC players. If they can replicate whatever the pregame speech before last year's Salisbury game was, and beat Swat for once, they'll be cooking come May. Anticipating 6-2 for in conference for this group.

3.Swarthmore- OVERRATED
They likely graduate the least out of all the teams on this list, but I'm not sure I'm buying into this team. All the one goal games defined this team's season, and makes it tough to replicate. Mabbs and Strauch will be a problem for every team they play this year, but their defense in their loses looked pedestrian. They'll beat up on lesser OOC opponents and go 4-4 or 5-3 in conference.

4.Franklin & Marshall- UNDERRATED
Transfer portal was not kind to this roster. They're under the radar and that's how Cavallaro wants it, I expect them to reload not rebuild as F&M always seems to be better than they look on paper. Sullivan will have to be the big man in the middle for them. I'm betting on coaching and them catching a few people off guard this year. Loses last year to Swat and Muhlenberg will flip to wins and they find themselves sitting around 6-2 or 5-3.

5.Muhlenberg- SLIGHTY OVERRATED
The group that help this program surge to national relevance is now gone and entered the workforce. They do still have key pieces returning like Malia at the midfield and Regan down low. A lot of unknowns about this roster. You have to respect how they put themselves out there with a challenging national schedule, going up against some of the best teams from Upstate. Their overall record won't look pretty but they'll be in the mix hunting for that 5 seed, 4-4.

6.URSINUS- OVERRATED
Where are the goals coming from? Will the coaching be any better this year? Similar to WAC, they waived goodbye to their main producer on offense and will need to find a new identity. 5 out of their top 6 scorers and their best pole are gone. Defensively, it was pretty rough last year as they seemed to implode in key games against the Mules and Haverford. There will be opportunity for new guys to enter the conversation and prove that they still belong in the top 5. Plagued by graduation, I'm not sure if I see this team winning more than 1 or 2 games in conference this year.

7.WAC- PROPERLY RATED
Losing Temple hurts, but the defense is where this team's issues lie primarily. A tough stretch to end the season last year, but certainly some positive outlook by keeping many of these game close. They return one All-CC player in Merrit, with questions marks at almost every other position. I could definitely see Nostrant and his team ruffling some feathers and potentially knocking off some the teams higher up on this list. 3-5 would be my guess.

8.HAVERFORD- UNDERRATED
This ranking feels harsh considering a couple of big conference wins last year, however, they do have a new head coach at the helm. They play a lighter OOC schedule and return the third most All-CC players (Tied with Gettysburg for 3). On offense, there are certainly question marks and will need big performances out of Abraham in cage. If they can find some tempo and consistency I see them avenging losses like WAC and Swat. I think this team is sorely underrated going into this year, 5-3.

9.MCDANIEL- UNDERRATED
This is the year. Give me the Green Terror on March 30th over the Ursinus Bears. They return a pre-season All-American in cage and many key contributors on offense. I expect this conference to have even more parity than we saw last year, and I think McDaniel can play a role in that narrative. Don't overlook the Terror in 2024.

Updated Predictions:
1.Dickinson
2.Gettysburg
3.F&M
4.Haverford
5.Swat
6.Mules
7.WAC
8.McDaniel
9.Ursinus
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Well, that certainly is a contrarian take.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

Remarkably crazy to drop a team to 5th place after a championship appearance and no real graduation, but bring up an F&M team messed up by transfering and a 3 win haverford team
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:09 pm Remarkably crazy to drop a team to 5th place after a championship appearance and no real graduation, but bring up an F&M team messed up by transfering and a 3 win haverford team
I think they are just looking for a reaction
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Week 1 picks coming up

Haverford vs Cabrini- This is intreging. The Black Squirrels enter with a new coach and some good momentum on how they ended last season. Cabrini is sailing off into the sunset and we really do not know how good they can or will be. I think this will be a close one due to Haverford goalie play. Cabrini 13-11

F&M vs LVC- Blow out for the Dips who show everyone they can still score goals F&M 16-7

GBurg vs Lynchburg- The battle of the Burgs has the baby Bullets taking on Lynchburg; a group that has players that are older then most grad assisitants. Ill take the Bugs 14-9 as there is no more a premium than expierence in the early season

Swat vs Widener- Swarthmore had a dream season last year. Can they continue their winning ways and be a top tier centennial team? I think yes Garnett 18-12

WAC vs Eastern- Young Shoremen continue to rebuild a once storried program. Alot of new faces are going to be expected to contribute. Excited to see what my team has in store for this season! WAC 15-11

Dickinson vs Stevens- The Red Devils have been the premier program over the last 2 seasons, talent everywhere and great coaching has them looking for a 3 peat. Dickinson 17-12

Muhlenberg vs Stevenson- Mules are going to be young this year but are well coached and always play hard. Dont know what to think of Stevenson after hearing conflicting scrimmage reports. Mustangs 16-12
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:04 am Week 1 picks coming up

Haverford vs Cabrini- This is intreging. The Black Squirrels enter with a new coach and some good momentum on how they ended last season. Cabrini is sailing off into the sunset and we really do not know how good they can or will be. I think this will be a close one due to Haverford goalie play. Cabrini 13-11

F&M vs LVC- Blow out for the Dips who show everyone they can still score goals F&M 16-7

GBurg vs Lynchburg- The battle of the Burgs has the baby Bullets taking on Lynchburg; a group that has players that are older then most grad assisitants. Ill take the Bugs 14-9 as there is no more a premium than expierence in the early season

Swat vs Widener- Swarthmore had a dream season last year. Can they continue their winning ways and be a top tier centennial team? I think yes Garnett 18-12

WAC vs Eastern- Young Shoremen continue to rebuild a once storried program. Alot of new faces are going to be expected to contribute. Excited to see what my team has in store for this season! WAC 15-11

Dickinson vs Stevens- The Red Devils have been the premier program over the last 2 seasons, talent everywhere and great coaching has them looking for a 3 peat. Dickinson 17-12

Muhlenberg vs Stevenson- Mules are going to be young this year but are well coached and always play hard. Dont know what to think of Stevenson after hearing conflicting scrimmage reports. Mustangs 16-12
Gotta disagree with the WAC prediction. There is no way a WAC team with no experience can beat this eastern team with so much talent and experience. We got to stop using WAC's history to argue why they'll win game today. They ain't that team anymore.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:22 am

Gotta disagree with the WAC prediction. There is no way a WAC team with no experience can beat this eastern team with so much talent and experience. We got to stop using WAC's history to argue why they'll win game today. They ain't that team anymore.
Eastern lost to EVERY decent team the played last year, some badly, what's changed? I keep hearing how this is going to be their year, not seeing it. They played a good 1st half against Stevenson last year, that's it.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

So did WAC, and WAC graduated their lord and savior temple, while eastern had little graduation
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

Is anyone else surprised Gettysburg has so much hype? They had a great start to the year last year but didn’t finish so strong and seems like they lost almost everyone..

No hate, but excited to see what the young guys can do this Saturday against a very experienced Lynchburg team.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Low2high22 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:30 pm Is anyone else surprised Gettysburg has so much hype? They had a great start to the year last year but didn’t finish so strong and seems like they lost almost everyone..

No hate, but excited to see what the young guys can do this Saturday against a very experienced Lynchburg team.
Coach Toner said in the IL DIII pod something to the effect of- the schedule was made 2 years ago, and he wouldn’t have made this game had he known that, after losing 18 senoirs of his own, he would be facing so many 5th and 6th years.

Though I understand the sentiment, I’m not sure I like it as a comment coming into the game.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:04 am Haverford vs Cabrini- This is intreging. The Black Squirrels enter with a new coach and some good momentum on how they ended last season. Cabrini is sailing off into the sunset and we really do not know how good they can or will be. I think this will be a close one due to Haverford goalie play. Cabrini 13-11

Agree with the Fords v Cavs take. We just won't know until they roll the ball out. It's gonna be a cold one tomorrow too. Always found it was harder to be as effective shooting on those days. Regardless, can't wait to take it in.

"a group that has players that are older then most grad assistants" - Another legit LOL earned ROTW.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:45 pm
Low2high22 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:30 pm Is anyone else surprised Gettysburg has so much hype? They had a great start to the year last year but didn’t finish so strong and seems like they lost almost everyone..

Coach Toner said in the IL DIII pod something to the effect of- the schedule was made 2 years ago, and he wouldn’t have made this game had he known that, after losing 18 senoirs of his own, he would be facing so many 5th and 6th years.

Though I understand the sentiment, I’m not sure I like it as a comment coming into the game.
:shock: no kidding. Not something you want your players to hear/read, even if you feel that way internally. Wow.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:34 am
GoTerriers8 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:22 am

Eastern lost to EVERY decent team the played last year, some badly, what's changed? I keep hearing how this is going to be their year, not seeing it. They played a good 1st half against Stevenson last year, that's it.
Maybe but at the end of the year they played a good York team tough and they lead Stevenson for most of the MAC semis. They lost very little and added a solid offensive piece. That should be more than enough to handle WAC.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I am a little as the lost quite a bit and they will be playing with a lot of youth awhile Lynchburg brings back a ton of grown men
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I am a little as the lost quite a bit and they will be playing with a lot of youth awhile Lynchburg brings back a ton of grown men

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”