THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Schadenfreude time.

And the usual JHU shouldn’t have gotten a bid amplified by 100 given tonight’s result.

Well, two great games against MD and an almost win but still a great game against PSU.

And the tremendous season by Epstein.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 pm Ref falling for Garnsey's acting job on that poke is this night in a nutshell.

A few Jays gave it their all tonight. They know who they are.
Does everyone else?

Giacalone, Forry, Cole and Epstein. Did I miss anyone?
Foley and Narewski
yes that is more than fair.
JHU2004

Post by JHU2004 »

I was a freshman at Hop the first year Petro coached. For the longest time, I was his biggest supporter. Over the past 10 years, I tried to keep the faith. I knew there would be down years, or years when a bounce or two doesn't go your way. But over and over, the Jays have disappointed. It's been a slow and painful slide from "we'll be ranked #1-4 in the tournament each year and make it to the QF at a minimum and likely Semis or Finals" to "We'll make it to the Quarters and then maybe the FF" to "There's a lot of parity in the game" to "let's see if we can pull a playoff appearance out of a 7-7 or 8-7 schedule" and then get blown out early. I'm tired of reading "Well', there's a great incoming freshman class next year." Time to move on.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Four pretty good games today.
Homer

Post by Homer »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:51 pm Schadenfreude time.

And the usual JHU shouldn’t have gotten a bid amplified by 100 given tonight’s result.
Huge call by Admin to hit Fatty with a 4-day ban earlier today, what with all this going on. And on a pointless ticky-tack insult that wasn't even mildly amusing, too. Shame.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bummer. Then again, when your ERs don't pan out and you're recruiting the wrong players to begin with, and your coaches are playing the wrong players, you can't expect much more from your short legged little munchkins. Maybe if the AD gave a damn about Hopkins lacrosse things would be different but good luck wif dat.
Enjoy your off season, foofies.
Homer

Post by Homer »

JHU2004 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 pm I was a freshman at Hop the first year Petro coached. For the longest time, I was his biggest supporter. Over the past 10 years, I tried to keep the faith. I knew there would be down years, or years when a bounce or two doesn't go your way. But over and over, the Jays have disappointed. It's been a slow and painful slide from "we'll be ranked #1-4 in the tournament each year and make it to the QF at a minimum and likely Semis or Finals" to "We'll make it to the Quarters and then maybe the FF" to "There's a lot of parity in the game" to "let's see if we can pull a playoff appearance out of a 7-7 or 8-7 schedule" and then get blown out early. I'm tired of reading "Well', there's a great incoming freshman class next year." Time to move on.
Be of good cheer! Nobody seems to think that much of the incoming freshman class next year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:53 pm Four pretty good games today.
Yes, particularly the last one.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Rick Sowell is available. Great recruiter, has Canadian connections, has coached programs into success after rebuilding them. I believe he’d be a perfect fit.

But the switch that was on the table earlier...coach for coach, is now off the table, sorry Wombat. We will be completely satisfied with Wellner.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Well, two great games against MD and an almost win but still a great game against PSU.

That shouldnt have. I said so 10 days ago. Beating 1 team twice in the span of 5 days shouldnt overcome the entire crap season.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!! Yes, RS would be a perfect fit for Hopkins.
Make the call, time's a wastin'.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

steel_hop wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 pm

That shouldnt have. I said so 10 days ago. Beating 1 team twice in the span of 5 days shouldnt overcome the entire dump season.
Agreed. I went looking through the record books for the last 8 loss season thinking it might have been “never” and found 2010.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

That was an embarrassment. You are playing a team that scored 155 goals in 14 games and you let them have 10 at halftime. This was my fear. Notre Dame relies heavily on unassisted goals - only 71 of the 155 were assisted. That means they were taking outside shots and 1v1 dodges. Hopkins beyond achilles heel weakness. Throw in Darby's impression of Swiss Cheese (sorry Mr. And Mrs. Darby) and you get the 7-1 1st quarter. The Hopkins shortsticks were beyond abused - Colwell (sorry Mr and Mrs. Colwell) also did not play well. Marr chipped in with a completely useless goal. We've already had a Jones discussion. When your senior captains are two of your biggest liabilities you have virtually no hope of winning the game. Narewski and Prouty fought hard - but they were killed on the after play. That was the real difference in the game and anybody that doesn't think Notre Dame's superior athleticism at the wings made a huge difference is insane. As far as underclassmen - Hubler, Darby, Colwell and Reinson need to have serious competition for their jobs. If you say well what about the offensive mid-fields I would say you are absolutely right but who else do you have?

As far as coaching - it doesn't look good for Petro to have Giacalone come in and play reasonably well and sit on the pines for the entire year when his starter was compiling a 45% save percentage over the year and 31% over the last 3 games. If he has real young talent on the defensive end - then why didn't Colwell sit? What happened to Blondell? What happened to Zinn tonight? I realize Hopkins didn't have alot of possession time throughout the game but he took one run from midfield and ran right by his man.

Hopkins defense will improve when they find some defensive mid-fielders that can stand up on their own. If Epstein could play against his teammates Lyle Thompson's records would be in trouble. Even though Joseph had 3 and 2 - Notre Dame was very happy to switch the entire game and their SSDMs stood up.

3 ACC teams on that side of a bracket joined by a former ACC team. Duke woud have killed our shortsticks - ND did us a favor
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 pm Ref falling for Garnsey's acting job on that poke is this night in a nutshell.

A few Jays gave it their all tonight. They know who they are.
Does everyone else?

Giacalone, Forry, Cole and Epstein. Did I miss anyone?
I noticed you didn’t mention Kyle Marr.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

This game had blowout written all over it once the brackets were announced. Just not a good matchup.

Our three biggest weaknesses -- FO, goalie and mids -- is ND's strength. So, to win, Hop needed FO & goalie play way above their season average. Mids needed to pickup their share of GB's and keep TO's to a minimum against ND's ride. Neither happened.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:21 pm That was an embarrassment. You are playing a team that scored 155 goals in 14 games and you let them have 10 at halftime. This was my fear. Notre Dame relies heavily on unassisted goals - only 71 of the 155 were assisted. That means they were taking outside shots and 1v1 dodges. Hopkins beyond achilles heel weakness. Throw in Darby's impression of Swiss Cheese (sorry Mr. And Mrs. Darby) and you get the 7-1 1st quarter. The Hopkins shortsticks were beyond abused - Colwell (sorry Mr and Mrs. Colwell) also did not play well. Marr chipped in with a completely useless goal. We've already had a Jones discussion. When your senior captains are two of your biggest liabilities you have virtually no hope of winning the game. Narewski and Prouty fought hard - but they were killed on the after play. That was the real difference in the game and anybody that doesn't think Notre Dame's superior athleticism at the wings made a huge difference is insane. As far as underclassmen - Hubler, Darby, Colwell and Reinson need to have serious competition for their jobs. If you say well what about the offensive mid-fields I would say you are absolutely right but who else do you have?

As far as coaching - it doesn't look good for Petro to have Giacalone come in and play reasonably well and sit on the pines for the entire year when his starter was compiling a 45% save percentage over the year and 31% over the last 3 games. If he has real young talent on the defensive end - then why didn't Colwell sit? What happened to Blondell? What happened to Zinn tonight? I realize Hopkins didn't have alot of possession time throughout the game but he took one run from midfield and ran right by his man.

Hopkins defense will improve when they find some defensive mid-fielders that can stand up on their own. If Epstein could play against his teammates Lyle Thompson's records would be in trouble. Even though Joseph had 3 and 2 - Notre Dame was very happy to switch the entire game and their SSDMs stood up.

3 ACC teams on that side of a bracket joined by a former ACC team. Duke woud have killed our shortsticks - ND did us a favor
Reminds me of a title of a movie I hated: “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 pm Rick Sowell is available.
But the switch that was on the table earlier...coach for coach, is now off the table, sorry Wombat. We will be completely satisfied with Wellner.
Is this a parody post?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 pm Rick Sowell is available.
Is this a parody post?
I was goofing around with the Navy fans about 30 pages ago.

Anyway, JHU made the Final Nine.

And others have had a worse year. Louis CK?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Well, Jones never should gave sniffed the C. Marr maybe. Both took way too many dumb penalties. I get coaches like to let the kids vote but sometimes you have to what is right for the team. Kuhn should have been one instead of both those guys.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:16 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 pm

That shouldnt have. I said so 10 days ago. Beating 1 team twice in the span of 5 days shouldnt overcome the entire dump season.
Agreed. I went looking through the record books for the last 8 loss season thinking it might have been “never” and found 2010.
Hes been awful. Outside of 2015 when he luck boxed thier way into the tournament hes shown no ability to coach in the tournament. Hell, he didnt have much ability earlier. How many other coaches get 4 straight no. 1 seeds and only 1 one championship and one other championship game appearance. The guy just tightens up and his team does the same thing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”