Johns Hopkins Siena tied also
SoCal

Re: Games Today

Post by SoCal »

SoCal wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:02 pm Villanova USC tied 4-4 at halftime
USC 12
Villanova 11
Final

Villanova had multiple freshmen in their starting line up. Jill Batcheller, Maddy Lesher and Kelsey Donnelly are a top notch coaching staff. This Wildcats fan is optimistic about their future!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

UVA going with youth movement too. at least 4 freshman starting.

think they are probably a year away, but looks like things are moving in right direction. VERY impressed with Alaimo so far.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Duke up big right now on High Point 10-2. Maybe that momentum of the 2nd half versus Navy is now coming through for the Blue Devils.
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

UVA hangs on against Stanford 10-9
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:57 am Stanford-uva an interesting game today. Both are on the edge of the top 20. The game against liberty didn’t provide much data about UVAs ability to compete after losing 6 of 12 starters from last year. Stanford will provide a stiffer test and the cardinal program is looking to bounce back after a tough year last year. This is a toss up which I think uva wins through home field advantage…though I suspect a very tight game.
Next year this is an in conference matchup!!!
Absolutely nailed this prediction. Who do you have for tonight’s game??? $$$
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Head and hearts says chiefs. I’m not betting against mahomes in a Super Bowl….😀
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:52 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:58 pm Can we also talk about Ashley Humphrey? I think a 3 goal 4 assist debut when they didn’t even start her speaks volumes about her talent when surrounded by strong players. I don’t think unc is going to be a final 4 team this year because of what they lost to injury— but I suspect Humphrey is going to have a heck of a year and be the leader of that offense…
She’s listed as a starter in the box score. Can’t say I noticed at the beginning of the game whether she was in or not.

Perhaps it’s too early for those who suggested she might not be able to play at the ACC level to eat crow, but it’s probably not too early to be plucking the feathers and seasoning the bird. (And, yeah, I know JMU is not in the ACC, but they certainly play at the ACC level.)
I think this is directed at me lol. Remember I said she may have a fantastic year - but wanted to see how it went. She did have ball security issues against top teams last year. Great game for her, but as you say it's still early.

I couldn't watch the game Saturday but love you can watch replay on ESPN+. Someone mentioned Green Cards in this game - UNC with 5, JMU 2. 3 of the UNC green cards were for either offsides or too many women on the field. How does the veteran coaching staff at UNC let that happen? Three times in a game that went to overtime? Giving away possession and going woman down? Mistakes you would expect from rookie coaching staff and may have cost them the game? Also ironic that the head coach was the one driving the rule changes and first game under new rules gets called 3 times for that type of violation.
njbill

Post by njbill »

No no. Not directed at you. Just a general comment.

Good point about the non-midfield green cards. The offsides green cards probably shouldn’t be counted in the discussion of how these new green card rules are ruining the game. lol. By the way, I like that a defensive offsides is now a green card.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Finally watched the second half of the UNC game. UNC made a strategic mistake by putting Nelson in the net for the 2nd half. She's just not there yet.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 am Finally watched the second half of the UNC game. UNC made a strategic mistake by putting Nelson in the net for the 2nd half. She's just not there yet.
I wonder of Alecia N might be on a 'pitch count' as she recovers from thyroid surgery?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:48 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 am Finally watched the second half of the UNC game. UNC made a strategic mistake by putting Nelson in the net for the 2nd half. She's just not there yet.
I wonder of Alecia N might be on a 'pitch count' as she recovers from thyroid surgery?
In terms of shot stopping, I didn't see that much of a difference, if anything I thought Nelson was marginally better. However, there were alot more wide-open looks in the second half. I wonder if some of that is Nelson not comunicating as well.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:48 am
In terms of shot stopping, I didn't see that much of a difference, if anything I thought Nelson was marginally better. However, there were alot more wide-open looks in the second half. I wonder if some of that is Nelson not comunicating as well as the most experienced goalie.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
UVA has always recruited well and I'll leave it at that.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:27 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
UVA has always recruited well and I'll leave it at that.
Sometimes less really is more. Nicely done.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 pm UVA going with youth movement too. at least 4 freshman starting.

think they are probably a year away, but looks like things are moving in right direction. VERY impressed with Alaimo so far.
Okay I was bored so I went down a rabbit hole and looked at Virginia's, Villanova's and USC's starting line ups, and other stuff that I found interesting from yesterday's games between Villanova vs USC and Virginia vs Stanford (not a Stanford fan so didn't bother researching their stats).

Virginia
starting line up: 2 grads, 4 seniors, 1 junior, 3 sophs, 2 freshmen
20 players got playing time: 2 grad, 6 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 soph, 6 freshmen
goals scored by: grad (2), grad (2), senior (2), senior (1), junior (1), freshman (1), freshman (1)
goalie: sophomore

Villanova
starting line up: 5 juniors, 1 sophomore, 1 RS freshman, 5 freshmen
21 players got playing time: 1 grad, 2 seniors, 7 juniors, 3 sophomores, 1 RS freshman, 7 freshman
goals scored by: grad (1), junior (5), junior (1), junior (1), RS freshman (1), freshman (1), freshman (1)
goalie: junior

USC
starting line up: I can't find it on their website (if anyone knows how to find it can you let me know?) but I know that one freshman started (DC)
18 players got playing time: 3 grads, 5 seniors, 1 RS junior, 5 juniors, 1 RS soph, 2 soph, 1 freshman
goals scored by: grad (3), senior (4), senior (3), senior (1), RS junior (1)
goalie: senior
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Saw UVA first-year #4 Jenna D quite a bit in HS - complete player with lots of hustle. Minutes right out of the gate should help her develop into a great player.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Their 25 class was very strong. 1 five-star, 3 four-star,s plus a girl from U16 national team and one ofs the best goalies I saw last summer.

Their 24 class had just one four star. Lots of girls from top 5 club teams, but no real stars.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”