Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
cooperstef

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by cooperstef »

SMAIN wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:28 am Here in Florida I read the sport pages of the Herald-Tribune. An interesting article entitled "Bolds defensive change rewarded".The Blots (hockey) changed from man coverage to zone.
I don't ever remember Raymond going to a Zone Defense. Is he stubborn or just doesn't know. I would love to see a Zone on occasion when the defense is having problems.Switch back and forth..... maybe confuse the opponent.....try it.
They've gone in and out of zone since he's been there. Mostly depends on the personnel.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

cooperstef is right, imho. The only really "bad/cheap" hit was Mule' being taken down by the neck..I wonder if there was some Patriot League spillover with Mule' and Colgate? Also, back in the day, we weren't exactly choirboys. I remember the KRAG defense coming across the midfield intentionally to lay out opposing players during a loose ball. It would be a loose ball push and rarely flagged for illegal body check. Colgate scored several garbage goals against Cuse and several EMO. I wasn't too impressed with their O when settled...and not convinced the Cuse defense is that strong. If Hobart can handle the 10 man effectively(unlike PSU), then I like their chances..
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

We need guys like JohnJude and Bach for the 10 man ride escape. Dino and Rosa too. Beating the ten man ride is sometimes as simple as athleticism. We cant have apprehensiveness. JohnJude and Bach both are machines when it comes to out maneuver through the junk.
brodad

Post by brodad »

Playing physical is great. Taking cheap shots is cowardly. If you're a tough guy you shouldn't have to grab someone by the throat from behind. In mma it would be fine, but not so much in lacrosse. I'm not going to review the entire game film, but there were several other very questionable plays by Colgate. In the end the penalties probably just made things worse for Colgate, so is it really a smart approach?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cooperstef wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:36 am That’s why they wanted to play in unplayable conditions last year they are trying to win by grinding in teams. And being a bit dirty (saw it last year not just Karwecks call but players on the field hitting way too late-I literally would be fine if we dropped gate from the schedule after that joke)
We are talking about a contact sport, with high emotions, at the highest level. There's grown men on both sidelines. It's not mite hockey. Being hard to play against is something we want to be. Doesn't mean we are taking liberties out there but it's time we play on our toes physically rather than our heels. I wouldn't hate if every time someone else looked and saw Hobart on the schedule that they felt a uncertainty as to how it was going to go. There's a mental edge to that. I don't see anything wrong with how Colgate plays the game imo.
[/quote]

Thanks I played football there with far less advantages so thinking I understand contact sports. Could check with my CTE cussed dead friend Mike as well. Or ask Doug who literally told guys with concussions they just got their bell rung and weee never the same, some didn’t finish college.

There’s a difference between sporting and competing and the rest. You’re not differentiating at all. What they do transcends sporting or competing and your responding on this whole meta level not really a dressing what’s actually happening.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:25 am cooperstef is right, imho. The only really "bad/cheap" hit was Mule' being taken down by the neck..I wonder if there was some Patriot League spillover with Mule' and Colgate? Also, back in the day, we weren't exactly choirboys. I remember the KRAG defense coming across the midfield intentionally to lay out opposing players during a loose ball. It would be a loose ball push and rarely flagged for illegal body check. Colgate scored several garbage goals against Cuse and several EMO. I wasn't too impressed with their O when settled...and not convinced the Cuse defense is that strong. If Hobart can handle the 10 man effectively(unlike PSU), then I like their chances..
I’m not talking about the Cuse game in talking about both the last few games with us plus the very much strategic choice to force that game in their field which was ridiculous and beyond negligence and we lost kids in the game because of the conditions. That was intentional by a desperate guy who even w PSU is on the hot seat. It’s not worth losing 2-4 kids for 1-4 games to play these dudes - they make the old UmAss ECAC teams look like angels. I respected those teams with Reid and Diogo but this crowd is a different story.

I’d add that while we aren’t special I don’t see this game like Binghamton being useful for us. Nothing to gain w a win and a loss
Usually tanks the season. Cheap for travel but otherwise I’d rather see another PL, CAa, AE, etc team or band w Dart, Prov etc.

So why take ego driven injury risk from the guys down the road not names Cuse or Cornell with upside and all downside?
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:28 pm We need guys like JohnJude and Bach for the 10 man ride escape. Dino and Rosa too. Beating the ten man ride is sometimes as simple as athleticism. We cant have apprehensiveness. JohnJude and Bach both are machines when it comes to out maneuver through the junk.
I’m thinking Belle Walker could be a great one man clear.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:19 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:25 am cooperstef is right, imho. The only really "bad/cheap" hit was Mule' being taken down by the neck..I wonder if there was some Patriot League spillover with Mule' and Colgate? Also, back in the day, we weren't exactly choirboys. I remember the KRAG defense coming across the midfield intentionally to lay out opposing players during a loose ball. It would be a loose ball push and rarely flagged for illegal body check. Colgate scored several garbage goals against Cuse and several EMO. I wasn't too impressed with their O when settled...and not convinced the Cuse defense is that strong. If Hobart can handle the 10 man effectively(unlike PSU), then I like their chances..
I’m not talking about the Cuse game in talking about both the last few games with us plus the very much strategic choice to force that game in their field which was ridiculous and beyond negligence and we lost kids in the game because of the conditions. That was intentional by a desperate guy who even w PSU is on the hot seat. It’s not worth losing 2-4 kids for 1-4 games to play these dudes - they make the old UmAss ECAC teams look like angels. I respected those teams with Reid and Diogo but this crowd is a different story.

I’d add that while we aren’t special I don’t see this game like Binghamton being useful for us. Nothing to gain w a win and a loss
Usually tanks the season. Cheap for travel but otherwise I’d rather see another PL, CAa, AE, etc team or band w Dart, Prov etc.

So why take ego driven injury risk from the guys down the road not names Cuse or Cornell with upside and all downside?
Bulletin board quality stuff?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I'm not up to speed on the recent Colgate games re: thuggery...But, now with Lemoyne--and we picked up UAlbany this year--there are enough local teams that playing Colgate is definitely unnecessary. Heck, could even pick up Bucknell or Army. Both relatively short trips. With regard to the long time Hobart trainer(RIP), let's just say it was a different time when he ruled the training room...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:11 pm I'm not up to speed on the recent Colgate games re: thuggery...But, now with Lemoyne--and we picked up UAlbany this year--there are enough local teams that playing Colgate is definitely unnecessary. Heck, could even pick up Bucknell or Army. Both relatively short trips. With regard to the long time Hobart trainer(RIP), let's just say it was a different time when he ruled the training room...
Back then I thought he was cool as heck. Now think back to guys who had broken bones who were told they needed “a can of suck it up” and shake my head. But my point was to the youngster in the post modern, post NYT world educating on toughness in sports
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Thanks for posting OBM, good stuff.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FL Times preseason write-up. We'll see......

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/hobart-l ... 0153c.html
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

The FLT has done a nice job the last couple of years covering HWS sports. There was a while there where they really didn’t do much, if anything, to cover the teams.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Matt Kerwick on the call for the Army-UMass game. 5-3 Army at the half.
315lax

Post by 315lax »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:26 pm The FLT has done a nice job the last couple of years covering HWS sports. There was a while there where they really didn’t do much, if anything, to cover the teams.
They have. I hope that with lacrosse in particular that with the team having more section v/ finger lakes players than they have had in years it increases.

I also hope that this increases the attendance of games by locals and HS/ youth teams. The Boz was packed back in the days when more local guys played.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Norm Jollow covered lax for the FL Times during my career.
Often he wrote his article whole sitting at the bar of the Twin Oaks or the Cedar. Geneva was in love with the teams during that era…
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

That was about as bad a start as possible. The “go back D3” crowd is going to get loud if this is how we continue to look.

Can’t play D or O, down 6-1 after 1. Ugh.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Did they practice against the 10 man? Didn't look like it...should be able to generate some offense off their pressure. Hobart was outhustled and looked lost at both ends--forcing shots, very soft on-ball D and too loose offball. Many poor angle and/or deep shots. Colgate controlled the game. Patterson shows promise as does Faiola in cage. Don't want to say "scared", but Hobart certainly seemed tentative. Two backside EMO feeds to Ward on the back pipe should've been converted and Dattellas missed a 1on 1 as did Bach, I think(Colgate keeper is good!). Hopefully just first game jitters/nerves; otherwise, gonna be a long season... Oh, and someone please tell announcer Ted that when Hobart clears the ball with a ssdm that it's not "mismatch offense", it's called transition :roll:
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:35 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:11 pm I'm not up to speed on the recent Colgate games re: thuggery...But, now with Lemoyne--and we picked up UAlbany this year--there are enough local teams that playing Colgate is definitely unnecessary. Heck, could even pick up Bucknell or Army. Both relatively short trips. With regard to the long time Hobart trainer(RIP), let's just say it was a different time when he ruled the training room...
Back then I thought he was cool as heck. Now think back to guys who had broken bones who were told they needed “a can of suck it up” and shake my head. But my point was to the youngster in the post modern, post NYT world educating on toughness in sports
So true I played football too and when we got concussions we were told ha u got ur bell rung and sent back out to play. Crazy when u think about it now. I had at least 6 concussions I can remember maybe more. That's from peewee to college.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”