Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

Post by DMac »

Hoyas over Penn 13-12 2OT. Penn wins 3 draws in OT....draws wins games!!!! Well, not so much.
Gebhardt scores the last 4 for G'town, think she ended up with 7 for the day. Good game, didn't
look to me as if either team was one Cuse couldn't handle (with their A game, of course) and
this one was a rather exhausting contest, to say nothing of the Cuse gals having a bird's eye
view to scout these Hoya gals. Not too much recovery time for the Hoyas, back at 'em Sunday.
Added bonus to this one....Downunda on the call. As usual, very well done.

Was watching those Loyola gals and pulling for you, Dr. Tact, but that one was over about 2 minutes into the game. Pretty much had to have some skin in the game to enjoy that slaughter. Congrats...survive and advance.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

G Rosenzweig had a chance to win this one in OT but plunked one off the GK's forehead so only one from the family moving on.

The Colorado GK was outstanding in their win. I think she had 15 saves. BC girls attending got a first-hand view.

DMac - Why are they playing on the SU soccer field? The real grass certainly changes the pace of the game a bit and the gb scoops.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Graduation week end, ceromonies are in he Dome. Girls actually lucked out a little bit, got the game in between rains. Been getting plenty of rain lately.
Am glad the mlaxers are in Baltimore missing all of the distractions, parties, obligations, etc. The boys have been upset more than once in the Dome (they'd play it on Sunday if it were here) in the first round, hard to imagine the night before didn't have anything to do with that.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Nigel wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 pm
DMac - Why are they playing on the SU soccer field? The real grass certainly changes the pace of the game a bit and the gb scoops.
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. And SU's playing that game later than the others. Not sure why they couldn't play it a few hours later to give the crews time to get rid of all the chairs and podiums from Commencement. SU Athletics dropped the ball on that one.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

DMac wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 pm Hoyas over Penn 13-12 2OT. Penn wins 3 draws in OT....draws wins games!!!! Well, not so much.
Gebhardt scores the last 4 for G'town, think she ended up with 7 for the day. Good game, didn't
look to me as if either team was one Cuse couldn't handle (with their A game, of course) and
this one was a rather exhausting contest, to say nothing of the Cuse gals having a bird's eye
view to scout these Hoya gals. Not too much recovery time for the Hoyas, back at 'em Sunday.
Added bonus to this one....Downunda on the call. As usual, very well done.

Was watching those Loyola gals and pulling for you, Dr. Tact, but that one was over about 2 minutes into the game. Pretty much had to have some skin in the game to enjoy that slaughter. Congrats...survive and advance.
I gotta believe that the Hoyas are gonna be gassed by Sunday afternoon, particularly in the 2nd half (however, Syracuse might be a bit rusty having over two weeks off). Although I picked Penn to win in the TOCTM, a Georgetown win is probably better for the Orange as I think they match up better.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 pm
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. And SU's playing that game later than the others. Not sure why they couldn't play it a few hours later to give the crews time to get rid of all the chairs and podiums from Commencement. SU Athletics dropped the ball on that one.
Am not stating this as fact, I think there's some sort of NCAA rule that the field has to be available to practice on on the day of the game....something along those lines anyway. Mother Nature is the one who has completely dropped the ball with Spring, the lacrosse gods need to have a chat with her and ask her if she could cooperate a little bit. Women!
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

The Colorado GK was outstanding in their win. I think she had 15 saves. BC girls attending got a first-hand view.
She was really outstanding. Incredible reactions. Dartmouth didn't help themselves with several players blowing close-range shots because they refused to change hands. Colorado is really fun. Stinson and Nimarov are incredibly dynamic and exciting players to watch. I expect them to hang with BC and make a game of it, at least for most of the game.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

The Stony Brook/JMU game was tough to watch with all the SBU flopping going on. The worst was the phantom dangerous follow through where the stick didn't come anywhere close the SBU defender. She grabbed her head like she'd been shot. Erased a goal for JMU - pitiful.
wlaxnut

2nd Round - Sun May 12

Post by wlaxnut »

12pm - Denver at #8 Michigan - BTN2Go
12pm - Stony Brook at #1 Maryland - BTN Network
12pm - Navy at #6 Virginia - ESPN3
12pm - Florida at #3 North Carolina - ESPN3

1pm - Colorado at #2 Boston College - ESPN3
1pm - Loyola at #7 Princeton - ESPN3

2pm - Notre Dame at #4 Northwestern - BTN2Go

3pm - Georgetown at #5 Syracuse - ESPN3
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

cltlax wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:04 pm The Stony Brook/JMU game was tough to watch with all the SBU flopping going on. The worst was the phantom dangerous follow through where the stick didn't come anywhere close the SBU defender. She grabbed her head like she'd been shot. Erased a goal for JMU - pitiful.
Amen. Brother/Sister
wlaxnut

Re: Is Stony Brook's Nicole Barretta flopping to draw a yellow card?

Post by wlaxnut »

cltlax wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:04 pm The Stony Brook/JMU game was tough to watch with all the SBU flopping going on. The worst was the phantom dangerous follow through where the stick didn't come anywhere close the SBU defender. She grabbed her head like she'd been shot. Erased a goal for JMU - pitiful.
I see what you're saying...

https://youtu.be/cNCyt47xgJs

It worked like a charm here. This was a blatant attempt to draw a foul--twice! Can't help but think of a little karma coming back to bite Maryland with this kind of flopping. I know--it's only a replay from a certain angle, but this sure looks like #81 Barretta for Stony Brook was deliberately trying to draw a foul. It didn't work the first time so she decided to sell it a little better the 2nd time by the ol' hands-to-the-face surefire way to draw a yellow card on your opponent. It was clear that Julia Braig's stick wasn't near her face when Barretta deliberately initiated contact. Obviously a deceitful cheap strategy to gain an advantage. If you're unclear, maybe Bill Belichick can explain it better. Surprised the refs didn't call an unsportsmanlike or flopping/diving penalty on Stony Brook, if such rules even exist.
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

"karma coming back to bite maryland"...

shut up.

Id say more that SBU got their karma with an 17-8 loss. Oh and the 6 yellows they got called for themselves.
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxnut, agreed the Stony Brook player was play acting in the clip you posted. I also think Stony Brook players play acted more than Maryland did in the game, but (cue the outrage from the Maryland Mafia), two of the yellows on Stony Brook were the result of Maryland play acting. On the first dangerous follow through yellow against Stony Brook, it didn’t look like the Maryland player was hit. Rather, she simply flopped backwards. What convinces me of her guilt was that she was caught smiling, even laughing, on a replay, which evidenced she knew she had gotten away with one.

On the second, a yellow card was issued when the Stony Brook player cross checked the Maryland player who then flopped backwards as though she had been hit by a freight train. Yes, the cross check was probably a foul, but it did not cause the Maryland player to fall backwards. Shouldn’t have been a yellow.

This kind of behavior really should be carded as unsportsmanlike conduct.

I thought the rest of the yellows on Stony Brook were deserved.

Edit: changed dangerous propelling to dangerous follow-through.
Last edited by njbill on Sun May 12, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

aubartolomei wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm "karma coming back to bite maryland"...

shut up.

Id say more that SBU got their karma with an 17-8 loss. Oh and the 6 yellows they got called for themselves.
Another member of the Maryland Mafia heard from. Always so pleasant. They remind me of New England Patriots fans.
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

Agree to disagree on the calls. From my angle, the cross check on erica evans, probably not a yellow, but also not a flop. She was already in an awkward position, going backwards, and got checked. I dont think she gave any indication she was "hit by a freight train".

The dangerous follow through, she hit her on the left shoulder with the follow through and from where I was you could see the stick bounce back up. I rewatched the replay and didnt see any laughter, but I'm glad you can read minds.

But what do I know.

Proud member of the Maryland Mafia.

And fan might be a stretch, but certainly an admirer of the Pats.

edit: Oh, I also love 6:03 left in the first half, if anyone wants to watch that one.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I would have thought it was clear that my reference to being hit by a freight train was hyperbole. In any event, it was clear to me that she exaggerated her fall, seeking at least to draw a foul, if not a yellow card.

On the dangerous follow through play, I don’t see the stick contacting the player. Not sure what you mean by reading minds. I watched her reaction with my eyes. She clearly was smiling. Agreed? If one had truly been hit by a stick, I don’t think they would be smiling.

And lest you think I am a Maryland hater, I am not. What I hate is players play acting in an attempt to draw yellow cards, whether that player is on Maryland, Stony Brook, or any other team.

One of my favorite players ever was Zoe Stuckenberg. She played very hard all the time, always cleanly, and never flopped or play acted to try to draw a yellow card.
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

First of all, smiling does not equal acting. That's such a false equivalency. "If one had truly been hit by a stick, I don’t think they would be smiling." Is this hyperbole too? This is absurd. I'm assuming you mean after her teammates picked her up and hugged her and were talking to her. By reading minds, I mean, you have zero idea what was being said (nor do I). But I have an incredibly hard time imagining Megan Taylor hugging her and being like "haha, you got her" and them having a hug over it.

How should one act when they get hit by a stick, for future reference?

And I trust my eyes and what I saw over yours. And I also trust the ref who was literally 5 feet away, on ground level, and put her hand up immediately.

And yes, Zoe was great, but not sure why that's relevant here.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

aubartolomei wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:20 pm First of all, smiling does not equal acting. That's such a false equivalency. "If one had truly been hit by a stick, I don’t think they would be smiling." Is this hyperbole too? This is absurd. I'm assuming you mean after her teammates picked her up and hugged her and were talking to her. By reading minds, I mean, you have zero idea what was being said (nor do I). But I have an incredibly hard time imagining Megan Taylor hugging her and being like "haha, you got her" and them having a hug over it.

And I trust my eyes and what I saw over yours. And I also trust the ref who was literally 5 feet away, on ground level, and put her hand up immediately.

Alright, alright. Deep breath everybody. In the immortal words of Rodney King—“Can’t we all get along?”
njbill

Post by njbill »

aubartolomei wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:20 pm First of all, smiling does not equal acting. That's such a false equivalency. "If one had truly been hit by a stick, I don’t think they would be smiling." Is this hyperbole too? This is absurd. I'm assuming you mean after her teammates picked her up and hugged her and were talking to her. By reading minds, I mean, you have zero idea what was being said (nor do I). But I have an incredibly hard time imagining Megan Taylor hugging her and being like "haha, you got her" and them having a hug over it.

You want to see the play through your Terp goggles. I get it. I have no dog in the hunt other than to object to exaggerated flopping in an attempt to draw a card whether the flopper plays for Maryland, SBU, or any other school. FTR, I also object to the play acting by the Stony Brook players in this game. As I said in my initial post, they did it more than Maryland did today.

I brought up Zoe because she played for Maryland, as you know of course, but did not engage in such conduct.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

More on SB/UMD: at the 8:27 mark of the first half, SB scores an apparent goal that is disallowed because the SB player entered the crease during follow through. Looking at the replay, it appears that the ball crossed the line before her foot came down in the crease. As always the announcers didn't take on the question of when the play is over. Obviously didn't matter for the outcome of this game -- I'm certain UMD would've won even if the goal had been allowed. But I'm certain this issue will pop up in a critical moment. Maybe not this year, but it will happen and people will finally start paying attention to it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”