Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
NotFromMD

Re: Games Today

Post by NotFromMD »

My one observation from flipping back and forth and watching some random games...the production quality is up across the board. From camera quality to commentators (no, they weren't all insightful, but they were professional). Last year, some of these games would have been unwatchable.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:24 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:01 pm Didn’t look like Lopinto had any problem playing with a new team huh. Picked up right where she left off. Will get the game winner in the National Championship. Book it.
ONE GAME? You're making predictions after ONE game? Take that "Book it" and sell it along with the Brooklyn Bridge that you bought.

If you're so impressed with Lopinto after one game, then you must wonder why she didn't take Florida to the National Championship??
Larry. Relax and have a cream soda. If you’ve read prior posts on this board you would have read that I made the BC prediction two months ago in a different thread. “One game?” Once again. Larry, Relax and have a sandwich. That was a remark made for the other threads that said BC was going to have offensive problems because they won’t be cohesive and may take a long time for the offense to come together. Chill out bro. It’s day 1. You’ve come out looking to fight with two different people in a matter of minutes. Relax before you grab your keyboard. 😉
Last edited by Relax77 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:01 pm Didn’t look like Lopinto had any problem playing with a new team huh. Picked up right where she left off. Will get the game winner in the National Championship. Book it.
ONE GAME? You're making predictions after ONE game? Take that "Book it" and sell it along with the Brooklyn Bridge that you bought.

If you're so impressed with Lopinto after one game, then you must wonder why she didn't take Florida to the National Championship??
i agree..pump the breaks. She did what any good starting attacker at a major program would do. But it's a good sign for her nonetheless. I don't think anyone here said she would flop. I just don't know if she can carry BC like North did..but then again they may not need her too. But i don't know that BC defense seemed kind of leaky at points today..worth noting
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:05 pm

i agree..pump the breaks. She did what any good starting attacker at a major program would do. But it's a good sign for her nonetheless. I don't think anyone here said she would flop. I just don't know if she can carry BC like North did..but then again they may not need her too. But i don't know that BC defense seemed kind of leaky at points today..worth noting
They never said she would flop. They said the BC offense would be disjointed the first month because a lot of new pieces. Just pointing out they didn’t look like that. And I’m no BC fan, just think they are winning this year
Last edited by Relax77 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:09 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:50 am
TNLAX wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:22 am Hopkins at Albany this afternoon as well, this could be a good game.
Why are u thinking a good game . Albany hasn’t been competitive in years .
REALLY? Guess you don't follow Lacrosse. Do your research before you grab the keyboard.
lol ok Larry !!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:04 pm

Larry. Relax and have a cream soda. If you’ve read prior posts on this board you would have read that I made the BC prediction two months ago in a different thread. “One game?” Once again. Larry, Relax and have a sandwich. That was a remark made for the other threads that said BC was going to have offensive problems because they won’t be cohesive and may take a long time for the offense to come together. Chill out bro. It’s day 1. You’ve come out looking to fight with two different people in a matter of minutes. Relax before you grab your keyboard. 😉
Right?? He’s full of fire this lacrosse season!!
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Lmao. You forgot sit down and have a glass of milk. Love that movie.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Early nominee for goal of the weekend.
https://twitter.com/MarylandWLax/status ... 7602091402
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Deacon022 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:25 pm

Lmao. You forgot sit down and have a glass of milk. Love that movie.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I flipped through most of the games for parts yesterday and a few thoughts

- More and more zone play every year.

- Hard to get a feel on new rules. Lots of official inconsistency. Some games with 10+ green cards, while others with barely any. Saw more offensive fouls yesterday than I did all of last year (which is a good thing)

- USC was the most impressive performance I saw. Really fun to see how they moved the ball.

- Excited to see how Maryland does against real defense. The Clevenger sisters look legit

- I only watched the 2nd half of Duke/ Navy so obv I know I didn't see the full picture, but I thought even though they lost Duke looked much better. The new goalie will keep them in most ACC games. If they can find a way to win some draws, they could be a top 15ish team.

- Navy clearly has a ton of talent, but they just didnt play together the way Army does. (keep in mind, I didnt watch first half). I think both service academies will challenge Loyola this year

- Delaware has one of the best-looking zones I've seen this side of Stony Brook. I think they will hang around a bunch of games this year and may even spring an upset.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I watched a good bit of the Duke-Navy game, and it is -- as you might expect early in the season -- hard to say where Duke will go. A lot of their problems yesterday were in areas that should, with a little time and diligence, get better. They cleared poorly when they needed a good possession. They took ill-advised shots when they needed poise. And they got outworked for a lot of the game by Navy's tenacity. Navy was just more prepared for the game at the jump, and got out to a lead it never gave up, even with the good Duke run in the second half.

I do think -- I've said this before -- that there is a coaching issue at Duke. Cindy won the coaching war yesterday. Coach K appears to be a good mentor of young women; no one can question that, and that matters. But the team is never as well-prepared and ready as it should be, and never seems to get the talent that is latent to consistently perform on the field. I'm not "hating" -- I have no skin in this game and really could care less. But it just seems like the program is moribund from a coaching and development perspective.

I watched a good bit of the MD-St. Joe game, and came away wondering if Maryland will be able to perform as well against a quality defense and keeper. St Joe's was just outmatched. Still, I liked Maryland's ball movement and willingness to share the ball among the players. Leubecker's speed -- and poor judgment -- was on display yesterday. May's intelligence for the game and finding the open pockets was there in spades. And the Clevengers looked very good; Eloise had six assists; the freshman had a goal and two assists. The defense is, to me right now, unknown, save for the fact that Sterling is a good, pretty consistent keeper. Injury riddled Syracuse for them next weekend.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:56 am I flipped through most of the games for parts yesterday and a few thoughts

- Hard to get a feel on new rules. Lots of official inconsistency. Some games with 10+ green cards, while others with barely any. Saw more offensive fouls yesterday than I did all of last year (which is a good thing)

- USC was the most impressive performance I saw. Really fun to see how they moved the ball.

- Excited to see how Maryland does against real defense. The Clevenger sisters look legit

- I only watched the 2nd half of Duke/ Navy so obv I know I didn't see the full picture, but I thought even though they lost Duke looked much better. The new goalie will keep them in most ACC games. If they can find a way to win some draws, they could be a top 15ish team.

- Navy clearly has a ton of talent, but they just didnt play together the way Army does. (keep in mind, I didnt watch first half). I think both service academies will challenge Loyola this year

- Delaware has one of the best-looking zones I've seen this side of Stony Brook. I think they will hang around a bunch of games this year and may even spring an upset.
Navy’s best player didn’t play and Duke goalie made 15 saves…. Need to see another game from Duke before I unwrite their epithet this season!!!

Army usc was the best game I watched yesterday. Both teams looked like it wasn’t their first game.

The same can’t be said of hop. They did not look like a 9/10/11 team.

It’s early days. But some great matchups today as well..
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Seacoaster—

Duke gets the players they want and they are plenty talented enough. My take is it’s development and coaching related. Other option is, Duke is the school where the parents that harp about “best academic program” send their kids to, with the kids no longer caring about playing. From a few former players I’ve met, it may also have to do with the culture. I don’t think they’ve put into fixing that yet.

Based on LaxDadMax’s suggestion that Delaware has a great zone, I’m now watching that game. Thankful my wife has left for the morning so she won’t get mad, since lacrosse was on from about 2 until 9:30 last night. :lol:
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:25 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:56 am I flipped through most of the games for parts yesterday and a few thoughts

Navy’s best player didn’t play and Duke goalie made 15 saves…. Need to see another game from Duke before I unwrite their epithet this season!!!

Army usc was the best game I watched yesterday. Both teams looked like it wasn’t their first game.

The same can’t be said of hop. They did not look like a 9/10/11 team.

It’s early days. But some great matchups today as well..
To be fair, I only saw 2nd half of Duke/Navy. From what I saw Duke was still much improved over last year. But if they can't win draws, they won't go far.

Agree USC/Army was best game of day. I picked picked to at minimum make Elite 8 and nothing I saw changes that pick.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:54 am Seacoaster—

Duke gets the players they want and they are plenty talented enough. My take is it’s development and coaching related. Other option is, Duke is the school where the parents that harp about “best academic program” send their kids to, with the kids no longer caring about playing. From a few former players I’ve met, it may also have to do with the culture. I don’t think they’ve put into fixing that yet.

Based on LaxDadMax’s suggestion that Delaware has a great zone, I’m now watching that game. Thankful my wife has left for the morning so she won’t get mad, since lacrosse was on from about 2 until 9:30 last night. :lol:
I disagree. I don't think Duke has an impressive number of athletes/talent on the field. I think ACC games will be challenging for them.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:54 am Seacoaster—

I think you hit the nail on the head. There are lots of very good lax high school kids out there who want to use lax primarily as a way to get into a school they otherwise couldn't get into. I think Duke gets more than its fair share of these girls. Two of my daughters each have a club teammate (ranked as top prospect by IL who chose Duke mainly because it was a fun school that could get them a good job. They have great friends on the team, don't care that they don't play, and barely touch a stick in the summer.

I think the fact that Duke rarely has a transfer out says something.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Managed to catch most of the Delaware vs Lehigh game this AM. Jaclyn Marszal was a great get by AA. (AA is just a great human IMO.)

This begs the question with talent and the lack of usage by ND (where Marszal previously was). How many players does Halfpenny have on the roster that will not see the field, but could be an immediate impact player somewhere else? Halfpenny has been on record saying she would 100% offer a player if it took them away from an opponent. This did happen with Emma Murphy decommiting from U of M and moving to ND, where she hasn’t seen the field that much.

I may have to look through ND’s roster later today. They looked good last night but I cannot discount that EMU is a new program, so ND should look stellar.
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:25 am
COMPLETELY AGREE!!! I was loving the lack of sloppy turnovers and rushed offensive sets. The ball movement from both was extremely crisp. Also besides that little moment late in the 3rd where USC was 4 players down (4?) I’d say both teams were very clean and not deliberately fouling. Definitely game of the day.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:39 am Managed to catch most of the Delaware vs Lehigh game this AM. Jaclyn Marszal was a great get by AA. (AA is just a great human IMO.)

This begs the question with talent and the lack of usage by ND (where Marszal previously was). How many players does Halfpenny have on the roster that will not see the field, but could be an immediate impact player somewhere else? Halfpenny has been on record saying she would 100% offer a player if it took them away from an opponent. This did happen with Emma Murphy decommiting from U of M and moving to ND, where she hasn’t seen the field that much.

I may have to look through ND’s roster later today. They looked good last night but I cannot discount that EMU is a new program, so ND should look stellar.

Gotta wait to see about Delaware. It was against Lehigh who is running a new offense. They beat Lehigh in the opener last year as well. Last year Lehigh had three offensive players. One of them had an absolutely brutal game yesterday. As for the ND transfer she went to Delaware because her sister is the goalie. Actually two thirds of triplets. The goalie had 14 saves yesterday. Lehigh missed about 25 shots.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:09 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:09 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:50 am
TNLAX wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:22 am Hopkins at Albany this afternoon as well, this could be a good game.
Why are u thinking a good game . Albany hasn’t been competitive in years .
REALLY? Guess you don't follow Lacrosse. Do your research before you grab the keyboard.
lol ok Larry !!

Nice that you find what I said funny. I meant every word of it! You stated that Albany hadn't been competitive in years, but they made the tournament last season. That seems like they're competitive to me. Then you totally fell on your face when you said that Albany only beat UVa(in the NCAA Tournament) because UVa lost the game instead of Albany earning that win. That sounds like typical elitist dismissal.

I simply didn't like how you dismissed Albany and I stepped to you about it. I'm sure we will battle again this season.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”